PDA

View Full Version : Eichel: 'I'm not signing to play major junior'

SpikedLemonade
06-24-2015, 02:11 PM
Eichel: 'I'm not signing to play major junior'

Jack Eichel (http://www.tsn.ca/1.293033) will either return to Boston University next season, or spend all 82 regular-season games at the pro level.

The 18-year-old, who is expected to selected second overall by the Buffalo Sabres in Friday night's NHL Draft, told the Boston Globe he has no plans to sign a contract unless he's promised an NHL spot for the full season.

“If I’m signing, it’s not to leave school and go play major junior,” Eichel said Wednesday. “If I sign, it’s to play in the NHL the whole year. That’s the only way I’ll sign. And Buffalo has already explained to me that that would be the case.”....

http://www.tsn.ca/eichel-i-m-not-signing-to-play-major-junior-1.316807

Makes sense I guess.

Don't read the comments to the linked article if you do not want to get upset.

casdhf
06-24-2015, 02:38 PM
The comments think we should trade him lol

SpikedLemonade
06-24-2015, 02:48 PM
The comments think we should trade him lol

I guess I read them before that comment.

The consensus I read was that Jack sounds entitled.

Given how the Sabres fan base reacted to purposely losing for 2 years but not getting the #1 overall pick, Jack and the Sabres seem to be a good match.

As if suffering through intentional losing should entitle you to anything.

JATMtheJATM
06-24-2015, 02:58 PM
whoopsies. seems there is something off here.

there is no 9 game try out for an NCAA student athlete. once they sign, they lose their eligibility, and thus, can not be returned to college. however, if after that 9 game try out, the sabres decide hes not ready, his rights get transferred to his CHL team. his point is pretty simple. he wants to either play for boston U. or buffalo. he doesnt want to give up college, which he loves, to go play for saint johns.

his comments are fine, and reflect his desire to remain in college or play in the NHL full time.

coastal
06-24-2015, 03:24 PM
Ok well this is a non-issue and points to him playing on the big club next year.

doug45
06-24-2015, 06:21 PM
Sounds smart, if he is going to give up his chance at school for good he needs to be sure he plays at the upper level.

ct bills fan
06-24-2015, 06:56 PM
Non issue really. He'll play in Buffalo next year and be their best player, although Ennis may have an argument

JATMtheJATM
06-24-2015, 07:30 PM
Non issue really. He'll play in Buffalo next year and be their best player, although Ennis may have an argument

bull****, i think hodgson may have an argument *DUCKS*

Skooby
06-25-2015, 01:03 AM
Maybe we should give him the C now before he steps professionally on the ice to play it safe ? Why take a chance of missing out on someone when you don't know how they're going to perform, right ??

You getting drafted is a gift, not a privilege so my best advice is work real hard & pray to make the big club.

JATMtheJATM
06-25-2015, 01:05 AM
Maybe we should give him the C now before he steps professionally on the ice to play it safe ? Why take a chance of missing out on someone when you don't know how they're going to perform, right ??

You getting drafted is a gift, not a privilege so my best advice is work real hard & pray to make the big club.

Nothing jack said opposes what you said. He doesn't want to sign, lose his college eligibility, and have to go into the Q. Nothing more.

Skooby
06-25-2015, 01:11 AM
Nothing jack said opposes what you said. He doesn't want to sign, lose his college eligibility, and have to go into the Q. Nothing more.

Well then, he better work real hard and makes sure that he stays up with the big club. Demanding a roster spot when your not even drafted yet seems like putting the cart before the horse to me. I'd like to be a airline pilot but your not getting in a plane with me anytime soon.

JATMtheJATM
06-25-2015, 01:28 AM
Well then, he better work real hard and makes sure that he stays up with the big club. Demanding a roster spot when your not even drafted yet seems like putting the cart before the horse to me. I'd like to be a airline pilot but your not getting in a plane with me anytime soon.

Nothing about that suggests eichel isn't going to work his ass off.

chernobylwraiths
06-25-2015, 05:19 AM
What should I be upset about? That if he is told he will play in the NHL next year that he will leave college? I'm livid!

trapezeus
06-25-2015, 05:25 AM
All this constant outrage gets us players who just say cliches or nothing at all

hes the number 2 pick and said something that the team drafting him will have no issue with.

Only spiked and guys with agendas can make this bigger than it is

for weeks he's been rooting for him to go back to school. Now that he stated what he ideally wants in making that decision and stated buffalo was on board with the thought, it has to be a negative that the team and player are in agreement.

Mall this talk that Murray is autistic and you seem to be the one who is most obsessed.

Skooby
06-25-2015, 09:47 AM
He should make the big club automatically but making demands without stepping on the ice is not a good way to start, perform and receive.

trapezeus
06-25-2015, 10:16 AM
He should make the big club automatically but making demands without stepping on the ice is not a good way to start, perform and receive.

you are presuming a lot.
if the sabres asked, "so its unclear if you are going back to college, what would it take to stay,"
his reply is what was in the article and the sabres said, that was what we envisioned based on what we see.

then this is entirely a nonstory.

if he comes to buffalo, and then doesn't even try, its a story. but literally, this sounded like the guy's thought process of what would happen in an ideal world.

Skooby
06-25-2015, 10:54 AM
you are presuming a lot.
if the sabres asked, "so its unclear if you are going back to college, what would it take to stay,"
his reply is what was in the article and the sabres said, that was what we envisioned based on what we see.

then this is entirely a nonstory.

if he comes to buffalo, and then doesn't even try, its a story. but literally, this sounded like the guy's thought process of what would happen in an ideal world.
If the one of the next 2 starts can't crack our lousy roster, then we're really in trouble.

Dude
06-25-2015, 11:37 AM
I can't believe anyone is upset by what he said.

Wait, yes I can.

SpikedLemonade
06-25-2015, 11:55 AM
No one should be upset for what Jack said.

I was referring to the posters' comments to the linked article that could be upsetting.

Jack seems to not have made up his mind about returning to college this year but he would always remain Sabres property.

JATMtheJATM
06-25-2015, 01:27 PM

no, its literally nothing. he basically said, play me if you sign me, but if you arent, let me go back to school. which, in case you havent noticed, the kid really loves going the BU. its not entitlement. its something he loves

casdhf
06-25-2015, 01:31 PM
Hmmm ... college or the minor leagues? Duh.

SpikedLemonade
06-25-2015, 02:03 PM
Hmmm ... college or the minor leagues? Duh.

The Sabres were a purposely and historically bad NHL team but I would not call the Sabres the "minor leagues".