PDA

View Full Version : NHL BOG approves 3 on 3 OT & coaches challenges... BOG to except apps for expansion

DetDannyWilliams
06-24-2015, 03:58 PM
The change in overtime will see the League go to a 3-on-3 format for a five-minute period in regular-season games tied at the end of regulation. Previously, the League played 4-on-4 overtime. Regular-season games tied at the end of overtime will continue to be decided by a shootout.
The coach's challenge will be limited to goals scored on potential offside or goalie-interference plays.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=771982

<iframe src="http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/embed?playlist=830423" frameborder="0" width="640" height="395"></iframe>

coastal
06-24-2015, 04:37 PM
Gay

OpIv37
06-24-2015, 05:55 PM
I downloaded a PS3 game that is the hockey version of NBA Jam called NHL Open Ice Challenge. It's 2 on 2 with goalies.

The league is one player away from being a video game. Offsetting minors in OT and it WILL be a video game.

Stupid, gimmicky idea. This is a desperate attempt to attract people who find the game boring rather than catering to the true fans.

mightysimi
06-25-2015, 08:47 AM
I downloaded a PS3 game that is the hockey version of NBA Jam called NHL Open Ice Challenge. It's 2 on 2 with goalies.

The league is one player away from being a video game. Offsetting minors in OT and it WILL be a video game.

Stupid, gimmicky idea. This is a desperate attempt to attract people who find the game boring rather than catering to the true fans.

Actually having to make a hockey play is a gimmick? The shootout is the biggest gimmick of all time. As for penalties, I'm sure it will be like the old OT where the PP team would gain a player.

True fans love the shootout?

trapezeus
06-25-2015, 10:19 AM
i think 3 on 3 will be fun. it will be harder to play for the shootout.

OpIv37
06-25-2015, 10:21 AM
Actually having to make a hockey play is a gimmick? The shootout is the biggest gimmick of all time. As for penalties, I'm sure it will be like the old OT where the PP team would gain a player.

True fans love the shootout?

I hate the shoutout. And you are using "hockey play" generously. I guess technically it's a hockey play, but there won't be anyone defending with that much open ice. It's basically a chance for skill guys to show off.

IlluminatusUIUC
06-25-2015, 11:53 AM

There aren't as many "true fans" out there as the true fans like to think. Hockey is already a regional sport.

mightysimi
06-25-2015, 02:18 PM
I hate the shoutout. And you are using "hockey play" generously. I guess technically it's a hockey play, but there won't be anyone defending with that much open ice. It's basically a chance for skill guys to show off.

Right but at least there is a d-man on the ice. The reason I like it is that it should reduce the amount of shootouts. I think in the AHL when they went from 4 and then 3 it reduced games going to the shootout by a huge amount. I want to say 40%. To me that is worth it.

trapezeus
06-26-2015, 07:04 AM
i feel like hockey fans are coached to say they hate the shootouts. everyone is standing at the end during a shootout. it adds the drama of getting a winner that 5-5 for 5 minutes couldn't do. people like it. if they vehemently hated it like they said, they'd boo it like bettman at the cup.

with a physical sport that commonly can go to overtime, you don't want to be the only sport that allows ties. to play the playoff format would take an immense toll on yourroster. injuries would go up, especially considering that they play 3 games a week and at times more.

if 3-3, reduces the so called dreaded shootout, and gets a winner quickly. hockey fans should love this!

OpIv37
06-26-2015, 07:40 AM
Well of course everyone is standing during the shoot out. I'll admit it's exciting to watch because it creates a dramatic moment to determine the game's outcome.

The problem is that a hockey game is decided with a skills competition rather than, you know, hockey.

I didn't think of the 3 on 3 from the perspective of less shootouts. Given that it's unreasonable to play long overtimes in an 82 game season, I can live with the 3 on 3 as a compromise to reduce shootouts.

I wish they'd do away with the extra point in the standings for OT though. Or, make every game worth 3 points, with OT Winners getting 2 and losers getting 1. I hate the manufactured point.

elroy16
06-26-2015, 09:02 AM
I would have liked to see 5 minutes of 4 on 4 and then 5 minutes of 3 on 3 before a shootout.

mightysimi
06-26-2015, 09:03 AM
I would have liked to see 5 minutes of 4 on 4 and then 5 minutes of 3 on 3 before a shootout.

I believe that was discussed but dismissed based on the amount of overtime games increasing the number of minutes on the star players causing more injuries.

JATMtheJATM
06-26-2015, 03:17 PM
So where do you think the nhl expands to?

The Jokeman
06-26-2015, 04:46 PM
So where do you think the nhl expands to?

Expands? Makes little sense now relocating Florida or Phoenix that makes a whole lot more sense. I say to Seattle and Las Vegas respectively.