PDA

View Full Version : Mel Kiper Ranks Jared Goff As The Number 1 Quarterback Prospect For 2016

BillsImpossible
06-24-2015, 06:26 PM
6'4, 210 lbs. Turns 21 years old in October. A little surprising considering some were saying Connor Cook was the number 1 prospect.

I think 2016 will have a much better group of quarterbacks to choose from. Hopefully the Bills won't need one, but that's wishful, positive thinking.

The Bills defense is so good it might not even matter who the quarterback is in 2015. I'd love to see the Bills make the playoffs, but I'd hate to see them drafting in the first round at 24ish.

Catch 22 situation. I don't think the Bills are going to have a chance to draft a quarterback next year because the defense is going to be too good.

http://blog.sfgate.com/cal/2015/05/13/jared-goff-is-the-top-quarterback-listed-on-mel-kipers-big-board/

Here’s what he says about Goff: “The system at Cal is going to produce numbers, but Goff’s 35 touchdown passes against seven interceptions are good anywhere. The big sell here is a big-time arm. Goff can drill the ball down the field and into tight windows with ease, and he has strong movement skills and anticipation for a player with good length who seems to see the whole field. Goff’s totals are going to be significant, so the question of whether the skills translate quickly will be the key question.”

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/sko6f8nJ3ZM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/stats/_/id/547401/jared-goff

DraftBoy
06-24-2015, 06:30 PM
Good prospect, but only a junior this coming season. No guarantee that he even leaves school.

jimmifli
06-24-2015, 06:38 PM
Is this the earliest we've started talking draft?

DraftBoy
06-24-2015, 06:41 PM

Not even close. A few years ago we started (or I started) talking about the next years draft a month before the current years draft even took place.

BillsImpossible
06-24-2015, 06:54 PM

It's a combination of both this year's QB situation and the ramifications for next year.

The Bills are in a very odd situation. They're loaded with talent, but they lack the main ingredient.

They could have enough talent to offset the lack of a franchise quarterback, but success in 2015 would basically put the Bills out of contention for drafting a quarterback next year.

If the Bills do make the playoffs this season despite their quarterback, what do the Bills do the with the 24th ish pick in the 1st round? Moving up 14 spots in the draft would cost how much? At least a 1st round draft pick, and more.

If the Bills make the playoffs for the first time since 1999 because of their defense and don't win the Super Bowl, the team is going to be in a very difficult situation in 2016.

Goobylal
06-24-2015, 06:57 PM
I doubt 2016 is any great shakes for QB's either.

BillsImpossible
06-24-2015, 07:15 PM
I doubt 2016 is any great shakes for QB's either.

Connor Cook, Christian Hackenberg, Cardale Jones, Jared Goff, Dak Prescott, Cody Kessler, Patrick Towles.

Can't wait to watch Cardale Jones this year. Should be interesting.

Is the NFL at a QB crossroads in 2015? Read option, or go back to what worked before in a pocket passing quarterback?

Beebe
06-24-2015, 08:53 PM
Cody Kessler is better I think
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qtHNb7rANN0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

WagonCircler
06-24-2015, 10:31 PM
Tank, tank tank, tank!!!

Oaf
06-24-2015, 11:01 PM
Cardale could be the real deal.

Topas
06-25-2015, 01:01 AM
I dont think one of these QBs is there at 32.

DraftBoy
06-25-2015, 05:46 AM
Connor Cook, Christian Hackenberg*, Cardale Jones*, Jared Goff*, Dak Prescott, Cody Kessler, Patrick Towles.*

You named only two QB's who are sure to be in the 2016 class and four that are 2017 prospects who may leave early. Let's not get carried away in talking about QB's we're not even sure are going to leave school yet.

The top 2016 QB's are:
1. Connor Cook - Michigan State
2. Nate Sudfeld - Indiana
3. Cody Kessler - USC
4. Dak Prescott - Mississippi State
5. Camerson Wentz - North Dakota State

I really don't have a lot of faith that Kessler, Hogan, Boykin or Prescott will be legit NFL talents. Guys like Jacoby Brissett (NC State), Jake Coker (Alabama), and Blake Frohnapfel (UMass) are others to watch.

DesertFox24
06-25-2015, 06:41 AM
Wentz and Kevin hogan Stanford are the ones I would watch if I was betting on who will be available.

Prescott will go later like round 5 due to accuracy issues. I am not a fan of sudfeld. Cook is my favorite and I like goff as well.

k-oneputt
06-25-2015, 06:45 AM
Brissett isn't an NFL qb. Coker has all the physical skills but couldn't beat out Sims at Alabama last year, so I wonder about him. No idea on the UMass kid.

DraftBoy
06-25-2015, 06:46 AM
Brissett isn't an NFL qb. Coker has all the physical skills but couldn't beat out Sims at Alabama last year, so I wonder about him. No idea on the UMass kid.

Probably not, but with his size, speed, and arm strength you have to at least keep him on the list.

I'm not all that worried about Coker yet. Sims was a senior and Saban is known for favoring older players. You should watch the UMass kid when you get a chance, he's got a live arm and great size.

k-oneputt
06-25-2015, 06:50 AM
Haven't seen the UMass kid play, thus can't comment on him.

I will be on the lookout for him this year though.

MillsapsBillsFan
06-25-2015, 07:14 AM
If there is a legit franchise QB near the top of the draft next year and we prove that we can only have moderate success with the QB's we have, I say we sell the farm and move up for an elite QB.

This team will not be loaded forever, if you think you can get franchise QB you do it

Night Train
06-25-2015, 07:45 AM
Cardale Jones of Ohio St. will be interesting. Only started 3 games (but what a great 3 game run) and may not even start this year.

The guy is huge with a cannon arm. Can escape pressure. I'll be interested to see him progress, if given the starting nod.

Meathead
06-25-2015, 08:30 AM
he was good in the subway commercials

robles
06-25-2015, 12:26 PM
Wentz and Kevin hogan Stanford are the ones I would watch if I was betting on who will be available.
http://wigunpics.science/5/g.png

BillsImpossible
06-25-2015, 06:53 PM
If there is a legit franchise QB near the top of the draft next year and we prove that we can only have moderate success with the QB's we have, I say we sell the farm and move up for an elite QB.

This team will not be loaded forever, if you think you can get franchise QB you do it

Good stuff, good stuff!

I couldn't agree more. I hate to say it, but the chances of having only, 'moderate success with the QB's we have, are higher than I'd like to admit.

All the Bills and their fans have is hope for 1 of the 3 quarterbacks to rise up to the occasion, and there's a good chance that might not work.

If it doesn't work out in 2015, the Bills need to sell the farm and give up a boatload of high draft picks to move up in the 2016 NFL Draft.

How many draft picks did the Redskins give up to pick RG3? Three first round picks, and a second rounder.

Interesting article from a couple years ago.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1633957-re-visiting-the-washington-redskins-trade-for-rg3-did-st-louis-get-better-deal

Of course the Redskins won. They got RG3.
That may be a bit of an oversimplification, but it really is that simple. A franchise quarterback is everything in the NFL, and Washington has its. Well, it at least appears that way. Things can always change.