• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ct bills fan
    • Jul 2002

An argument not to Trade up

With the depth of this draft, I don't trade up, here is why:

21,31 and 51 gets you probably to around 9 or 10 (if you can find a trading partner). That would get you something like:

2. Eichel (C)
    9. Werenski (D) , Crouse (LW) Rantanen (RW), Barzal (C), Meier (RW) or Zboril (D)

21,31,51 gets you something like:

21. Samsonov (G)
    31. Roy (D), Kylington (D), Carlsson (D), Debrusk (LW), Bittner (LW)
    51. a lot of options

With the depth of the draft, I'm not sure I trade up + 51 may get you Lack?? Alternatively, our organizational depth is very deep, so maybe quality is better than quantity?

Thoughts??
  • chernobylwraiths
    • Jan 2003

Re: An argument not to Trade up

I don't trade either 21 or 31 without getting a solid NHL player in return (and I understand that one of those picks would only be part of a deal like that). I also don't consider either Talbot OR Lack a solid NHL player going forward, more of a stopgap while another goalie learns or develops.

I also just don't see drafting a goalie with the first rounder. I don't like it when guys "fly up the draft board" for no good reason. Wouldn't be adverse to picking him with the first pick in the second. I would strongly consider moving up to get a better prospect too, because you can only have so many prospects. Could even send a prospect to move up, like a Baptiste.

could be a fun couple of days coming up and with free agency close behind.

Comment

• ct bills fan
      • Jul 2002

Yeah - 35 hours from now (actually a little less) is going to be a lot of fun. Rumours should start flying too, but, trades may not be announced until draft time. Interesting that teams can start talking to UFA today - don't the GMs have enough to do already??

Comment

• don137
        • Jul 2002

I would be surprised if the Sabres draft at 21, 31 and 51. I see some sort of trade. Not sure if I would trade all three picks to move up to 9-10. I rather them try to trade up 4-5 spots and give up 21 and 51. 31 will yield a lot of offers whether it be for a goalie or package deal maybe with cash strapped team (LA-Martin Jones). To have first pick of second round with overnight between rounds gives time for GMs to assess who is left and give a good offer for that pick.

Comment

• ct bills fan
          • Jul 2002

That is correct about 31. That's one of the reasons I'm hoping they don't trade 31 for Lack

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
            • Jan 2003

I like the idea of keeping 31 at least until the beginning of the second round. You know there will be all kinds of speculation of who will go and who slipped in the draft. It could garner quite a bit in return.

Comment

• ct bills fan
              • Jul 2002

Yep - for all we know they may have a deal in place for Lack and 331 contingent on who's available at 31. No rush for the Sabres todeal that pick, they'll have about 10 hours after the end of rd 1 before the start of rd 2 to see its value.

Comment

• Ginger Vitis
                • Feb 2009

The one player who is worth trading up for is Mathew Barzal whio IMO is being underrated and underappreciated.. His talent level is pretty close to Marners but he is projected to go anywhere between 6 an 12 because he missed 28 games this past year due injury. One problem is Barzal is a C... Travis Konecny made a good transition from C to wing this past year and if he gets out of the Top 15 GMTM should consider trading up to get him.. Konecny is another guy who I feel is underrated and undervalued

Comment

• ct bills fan
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ginger Vitis View Post
                  The one player who is worth trading up for is Mathew Barzal whio IMO is being underrated and underappreciated.. His talent level is pretty close to Marners but he is projected to go anywhere between 6 an 12 because he missed 28 games this past year due injury. One problem is Barzal is a C... Travis Konecny made a good transition from C to wing this past year and if he gets out of the Top 15 GMTM should consider trading up to get him.. Konecny is another guy who I feel is underrated and undervalued
                  I agree about Barzal, though I don't think he falls too much. It's not usually that hard for Centers to move to Wing, much harder Wing to Center (Ville Leino anyone??)

Comment

• Ginger Vitis
                    • Feb 2009

Bob MacKenzie says it's likely the coyotes will trade down.. Jets..BLue Jackets and possibly the Bruins want to trade to 3

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                      • Jan 2003

looks like we won't be trading up, at least not with the 21st now

Comment

• ct bills fan
                        • Jul 2002

Maybe 31 and 51 to move back into the late 1st?? Only reason now to watch the draft after 7:10pm

Comment

Working...
                        X