More implicit shots fired at the previous coaching staff (on offense)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

More implicit shots fired at the previous coaching staff (on offense)

Kromer goes about his job differently than the previous two offensive line coaches Glenn has had since he arrived in Buffalo. His approach, at least according to Glenn, is much more detail-oriented. Glenn makes it clear that he and the rest of the line are being held to a higher standard.

I suspect a lot of it is the availability of $$$. The Rex Ryan staff is quickly becoming the largest and most expensive coaching staff in the entire NFL. Other than titles and fixed positions, if Rex wants to hire one, Pegula writes the check. That must be to the dismay of corporate stalwarts like Littman and Ralph in his grave.

It will be interesting to see if there is any aprreciable difference in established guys like Wood, Glenn this year.

Personally, I think Rex and Thurman have more pressure on the defensive performance because of the success Schwartz had last year -- first year on the job.
    Last edited by ghz in pittsburgh; 06-29-2015, 08:55 AM.
  • Mr. Miyagi
    Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Re: More implicit shots fired at the previous coaching staff (on offense)

Schwartz did a good job but I think he got a lot more credit than he deserved. The defensive personnel especially the DL was very good under Pettine before Schwartz got here. This is why Pettine got the credit and his HC job in Cleveland. It could be argued that Schwartz only job was to not screw things up and the defense was naturally going to progress to be as good as we were last year. I think Rex and Thurman will continue to reap the benefits of the outstanding talent on defense.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
      Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

It's like saying Barry Switzer was such an awesome coach that he won the SB with the Cowboys. Well that was Jimmy Johnson's team that won the SB, not Switzer.

Same thing with Gruden in Tampa.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
        • Aug 2004

In many cases, staying out of the way (not screwing up) is as important as trying to build something grom the ground up.

Comment

• Meathead
          Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
          • Jul 2002

miyagi is such an awesome mod he made this place what it is today
          One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• HHURRICANE
            • Mar 2005

Hackett was a joke as an OC. I think he made our o-line look way worse than it was. The play calling was predictable. Look at how bad Spiller struggled, and I'm in no way a Spiller fan, but it was unfair.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
              Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Originally posted by Meathead View Post
              miyagi is such an awesome mod he made this place what it is today

Comment

• better days
                • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi View Post
                It's like saying Barry Switzer was such an awesome coach that he won the SB with the Cowboys. Well that was Jimmy Johnson's team that won the SB, not Switzer.

Same thing with Gruden in Tampa.
                Gruden added an OFFENSE with some IMPORTANT players in Tampa to the Bucs that were not there before he arrived.

The Cowboys would have won the Super Bowl if Jimmy Johnson stayed an extra year.

The Bucs would not have won the Super Bowl if Dungy stayed in Tampa.

Comment

• Night Train
                  Retired - On Several Levels
                  • Jul 2005

Brad Johnson was the Tampa QB. Much like Dilfer in Baltimore, they still won while getting just enough out of a backup QB.

I just want the Bills to grab the last WC spot this year while waiting for the next off-season to upgrade QB.
                  Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• better days
                    • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
                    Brad Johnson was the Tampa QB. Much like Dilfer in Baltimore, they still won while getting just enough out of a backup QB.

I just want the Bills to grab the last WC spot this year while waiting for the next off-season to upgrade QB.
                    Both were good enough to win the Super Bowl.

Ironic, both were Bucs.

I think the Bills could win the Super bowl this year if either of them were the Bills QB this year (at the same age & ability they were at when they did win)

But Like Dilfer in Baltimore the Bucs had a WORSE QB before Johnson got there & have had worse QB's since he left.

Comment

• Night Train
                      Retired - On Several Levels
                      • Jul 2005

Dilfer was absolutely horrible that year, completing many 10 yard throws into the turf. He replaced Tony Banks, who was just as bad the first half of the year.

Lucky for them, they had a top rusher in Lewis, a solid #2 in Priest Holmes and an incredible D led by another Lewis to over come that. Rex was there and may be trying this blueprint.
                      We'll see.
                      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• justasportsfan
                        • Jul 2002

Schwartz did a good job but I think he got a lot more credit than he deserved. The defensive personnel especially the DL was very good under Pettine before Schwartz got here. This is why Pettine got the credit and his HC job in Cleveland. It could be argued that Schwartz only job was to not screw things up and the defense was naturally going to progress to be as good as we were last year. I think Rex and Thurman will continue to reap the benefits of the outstanding talent on defense.
                        I disagree. He changed the entire scheme. He also didn't blitz a lot which Pettine did. They were two very different DC's
                        sacrifice1
                        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                          My battery is low and it's getting dark.
                          • Apr 2004

I don't think the Seahawks are far off from that blueprint. The only major difference is the QB has a knack for making plays with his feet. Even though the Bills have more talent at receiver than the Seahawks did, they do not, at this point have the O-line or savvy at QB to replicate that kind of success. However, the fact that we were as close to the playoffs as we were last year with that offense bodes well for the near future. Roman is orders of magnitude better than Hackett.

Comment

• Gibby
                            • Jun 2006

Who cares about the previous regime, we are not playing 2014 this year. We are playing 2015. I wanna know how this coaching staff and team plays this year.

Comment

• Victor7
                              • Jul 2013

I actually think Schwartz was better than MP. No diss to Pettine by the way. He was good for us too. But JS brought pressure with just the guys up front while Pettine relied a lot on blitzes. We also seemed to be a lot better vs the run. Either way it was great watch our D under both guys. Can't wait to see what Rex can do with them

Comment

Working...
                              X