PDA

View Full Version : More implicit shots fired at the previous coaching staff (on offense)

ghz in pittsburgh
06-29-2015, 08:53 AM
http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/06/27/glenn-goes-with-the-flow-as-bills-tinker-with-tackle-position/

Kromer goes about his job differently than the previous two offensive line coaches Glenn has had since he arrived in Buffalo. His approach, at least according to Glenn, is much more detail-oriented. Glenn makes it clear that he and the rest of the line are being held to a higher standard.

I suspect a lot of it is the availability of $$$. The Rex Ryan staff is quickly becoming the largest and most expensive coaching staff in the entire NFL. Other than titles and fixed positions, if Rex wants to hire one, Pegula writes the check. That must be to the dismay of corporate stalwarts like Littman and Ralph in his grave.

It will be interesting to see if there is any aprreciable difference in established guys like Wood, Glenn this year.

Personally, I think Rex and Thurman have more pressure on the defensive performance because of the success Schwartz had last year -- first year on the job.

Mr. Miyagi
06-29-2015, 10:26 AM
Schwartz did a good job but I think he got a lot more credit than he deserved. The defensive personnel especially the DL was very good under Pettine before Schwartz got here. This is why Pettine got the credit and his HC job in Cleveland. It could be argued that Schwartz only job was to not screw things up and the defense was naturally going to progress to be as good as we were last year. I think Rex and Thurman will continue to reap the benefits of the outstanding talent on defense.

Mr. Miyagi
06-29-2015, 10:28 AM
It's like saying Barry Switzer was such an awesome coach that he won the SB with the Cowboys. Well that was Jimmy Johnson's team that won the SB, not Switzer.

Same thing with Gruden in Tampa.

ghz in pittsburgh
06-29-2015, 10:57 AM
In many cases, staying out of the way (not screwing up) is as important as trying to build something grom the ground up.

Meathead
06-29-2015, 11:08 AM
miyagi is such an awesome mod he made this place what it is today

HHURRICANE
06-29-2015, 11:39 AM
Hackett was a joke as an OC. I think he made our o-line look way worse than it was. The play calling was predictable. Look at how bad Spiller struggled, and I'm in no way a Spiller fan, but it was unfair.

Mr. Miyagi
06-29-2015, 11:50 AM
miyagi is such an awesome mod he made this place what it is today
:blamelog:

better days
06-29-2015, 01:09 PM
It's like saying Barry Switzer was such an awesome coach that he won the SB with the Cowboys. Well that was Jimmy Johnson's team that won the SB, not Switzer.

Same thing with Gruden in Tampa.

Gruden added an OFFENSE with some IMPORTANT players in Tampa to the Bucs that were not there before he arrived.

The Cowboys would have won the Super Bowl if Jimmy Johnson stayed an extra year.

The Bucs would not have won the Super Bowl if Dungy stayed in Tampa.

Night Train
06-29-2015, 01:32 PM
Brad Johnson was the Tampa QB. Much like Dilfer in Baltimore, they still won while getting just enough out of a backup QB.

I just want the Bills to grab the last WC spot this year while waiting for the next off-season to upgrade QB.

better days
06-29-2015, 01:37 PM
Brad Johnson was the Tampa QB. Much like Dilfer in Baltimore, they still won while getting just enough out of a backup QB.

I just want the Bills to grab the last WC spot this year while waiting for the next off-season to upgrade QB.

Both were good enough to win the Super Bowl.

Ironic, both were Bucs.

I think the Bills could win the Super bowl this year if either of them were the Bills QB this year (at the same age & ability they were at when they did win)

But Like Dilfer in Baltimore the Bucs had a WORSE QB before Johnson got there & have had worse QB's since he left.

Night Train
06-29-2015, 01:54 PM
Dilfer was absolutely horrible that year, completing many 10 yard throws into the turf. He replaced Tony Banks, who was just as bad the first half of the year.

Lucky for them, they had a top rusher in Lewis, a solid #2 in Priest Holmes and an incredible D led by another Lewis to over come that. Rex was there and may be trying this blueprint.
We'll see.

justasportsfan
06-29-2015, 02:44 PM
Schwartz did a good job but I think he got a lot more credit than he deserved. The defensive personnel especially the DL was very good under Pettine before Schwartz got here. This is why Pettine got the credit and his HC job in Cleveland. It could be argued that Schwartz only job was to not screw things up and the defense was naturally going to progress to be as good as we were last year. I think Rex and Thurman will continue to reap the benefits of the outstanding talent on defense.

I disagree. He changed the entire scheme. He also didn't blitz a lot which Pettine did. They were two very different DC's

ParanoidAndroid
06-29-2015, 02:53 PM
I don't think the Seahawks are far off from that blueprint. The only major difference is the QB has a knack for making plays with his feet. Even though the Bills have more talent at receiver than the Seahawks did, they do not, at this point have the O-line or savvy at QB to replicate that kind of success. However, the fact that we were as close to the playoffs as we were last year with that offense bodes well for the near future. Roman is orders of magnitude better than Hackett.

Generalissimus Gibby
06-29-2015, 03:32 PM
Who cares about the previous regime, we are not playing 2014 this year. We are playing 2015. I wanna know how this coaching staff and team plays this year.

Victor7
06-29-2015, 04:30 PM

I actually think Schwartz was better than MP. No diss to Pettine by the way. He was good for us too. But JS brought pressure with just the guys up front while Pettine relied a lot on blitzes. We also seemed to be a lot better vs the run. Either way it was great watch our D under both guys. Can't wait to see what Rex can do with them

YardRat
06-29-2015, 04:49 PM
Morris sucked, most of us knew that.

I don't know if money was actually a factor in his hire, but we'll see how opening up the pocket book works with Rex...it certainly wasn't necessary (or apparently desired) for most assistants this season considering Ryan just dragged along mostly his old staff. Don't know what Roman and Kroger are making, but those are really the only two where money might've mattered (other than RR).

Schwartz's defense was a really effective combination of scheme and personnel...that's why they went from 'pretty good but with flaws' to outright dominant in one season. IMO Jim Shorts (credit to jimmifli for the moniker) will be more appreciated after this season.

ghz in pittsburgh
06-29-2015, 06:17 PM
I actually think Schwartz was better than MP. No diss to Pettine by the way. He was good for us too. But JS brought pressure with just the guys up front while Pettine relied a lot on blitzes. We also seemed to be a lot better vs the run. Either way it was great watch our D under both guys. Can't wait to see what Rex can do with them

Regardless what people say, Schwartz's wide 9 scheme is perfect for Bills personnel. Jerry Hughes and Mario on the outside wide. Marcell and Kyle in the middle with the emerging Bradham really stepping up stopping the run.

I'm encouraged to hear Rex saying at one point that he's going to keep what's working -- all good coaches should evolve with players at hand. If the Bills can really stopping the run like a true 3-4 should, look out for the 3rd down kill ...

swiper
06-29-2015, 07:27 PM

He's better than Rex Ryan too.

Mace
06-30-2015, 06:42 PM
He's better than Rex Ryan too.

Hard to say until we see what happens, way less risky though for sure.

Schwartz removed the kamikaze element of Pettine/Ryan for conservative security, banking on the line to be just fine for pressure in his scheme, which also had that sweet use of a safety lurking midrange in the middle.

Agree with Yardrat, Schwartz had a dominant D going. No way to prove it but I'll always believe 2nd year in his scheme would have been better still. Pettine/Ryan defenses firing on all cylinders are livelier, scarier, and more big play oriented, but more committed to a play in how they unfold. Schwartz's more conservative scheme was more solidly dependable, and it was evidently very well suited to who we had.

Oaf
06-30-2015, 11:12 PM
In many cases, staying out of the way (not screwing up) is as important as trying to build something grom the ground up.

Esp. with an ego like Schwartz. I thought he did great last year and was sad to see him leave.

better days
07-01-2015, 04:05 PM
Hard to say until we see what happens, way less risky though for sure.

Schwartz removed the kamikaze element of Pettine/Ryan for conservative security, banking on the line to be just fine for pressure in his scheme, which also had that sweet use of a safety lurking midrange in the middle.

Agree with Yardrat, Schwartz had a dominant D going. No way to prove it but I'll always believe 2nd year in his scheme would have been better still. Pettine/Ryan defenses firing on all cylinders are livelier, scarier, and more big play oriented, but more committed to a play in how they unfold. Schwartz's more conservative scheme was more solidly dependable, and it was evidently very well suited to who we had.

The difference between Pettine & Ryan is Pettine gave up the big play & the run selling out to get to the QB.

Rex will give up the big play on occasion, but his run defense has always been outstanding.

ghz in pittsburgh
07-02-2015, 06:57 AM
Read http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Ron-Jaworski-predicts-the-Bills-will-return-to-the-playoffs/c1cc5ee4-1aef-4d83-8cb0-21bf4e87995f this morning.

There are some noise in the media built the Bills D up -- compared to Bears famous one. There is a link of course, Ryan's dad in Chicago at the time, coming to think it, Ryan himself involved in the other famous one 2000 Ravens. So maybe there is some legit thinking of Bills 2015. Every 15 years, the Ryan family will prove to NFL ...

HOWEVER, The reason I think the media is blowing smoke is that those two defenses, the Bears/Ravens have (almost) established HOF players. The Bears one is too far for me to remember but I know there is a ton. The Ravens had Ray Lewis and Rod Woodson, and they were absolutely stacked with back 7 guys: Lewis, Boulware, McAlister, Duane Starks, Woodson, Jamie Sharper, Ken herring. The secondary starters had 17 INTs that year.

I just don't see the current Bills defensive roster have anyone make people think could be a future HOF, maybe Dareus if he's truely matured and starting to put up numbers like last year from here on out. They have a number of Boulware level of players, but not Lewis/Woodson level players. Hope they prove me wrong. Maybe Dareus builds on his 2014 year and takes another step forward; maybe Gilmore finally takes his game to another level; maybe Preston Brown takes a big step year 1 to year 2 ...

Edward Robinson
07-02-2015, 01:56 PM

I dont feel that is true at all. Dave Wannstedt had the almost the same group of players especially on the D-Line and in 2012 made them look like the worst defense in Franchise history. Jim Schwartz has been a good to great D coordinator throughout his career. Like any good coordinator if they have the players to fit their scheme they will be successful more often than not.

Mace
07-02-2015, 06:16 PM
Dave Wannstedt had the almost the same group of players especially on the D-Line and in 2012 made them look like the worst defense in Franchise history.

Excellent point.