PDA

View Full Version : Laser Pointer Lions Fan banned

swiper
06-30-2015, 04:30 AM
Then-Bills quarterback Kyle Orton (http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2015-06-29/lions-fan-laser-sentenced-kyle-orton-dan-carpenter-bills-nfl-ford-field) said after last season’s game at Detroit that a fan had been distracting him on the field with a laser pointer. That fan has now been fined and sentenced to community service.

The Detroit Free Press reports that Marko Beslach, an 18-year-old from West Bloomfield, Michigan, paid a $235 fine and was sentenced to 80 hours of community service after he pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of disorderly conduct (http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2015/06/29/detroit-lions-fan-laser-pointer/29456255/) in connection with the incident.

After last year’s game (which the Bills won), the Lions issued a statement saying that laser pointers were banned at the stadium and that the team was made aware that the Bills had complained. Beslach was caught in part because he bragged on Twitter that he had distracted Bills players with a laser.

Beslach has been banned from Ford Field. The Lions revoked the season tickets of the fan who brought Beslach to the game.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/29/lions-fan-fined-for-using-laser-pointer-to-distract-kyle-orton/

Does this punishment seem a little light? Or not?

trapezeus
06-30-2015, 05:48 AM
And the patriots who have prominently cheated twice are now only getting a four game suspension

what the kid did was wrong and deserved, but this is absurd that known cheaters are allowed to stay in the league at all.

Forward_Lateral
06-30-2015, 09:20 AM
He's just a dumb kid. Punishment is fine. No need to ruin someone's life over something so stupid. People who throw snowballs/batteries at players don't get arrested and charged.

Generalissimus Gibby
06-30-2015, 04:04 PM
And the patriots who have prominently cheated twice are now only getting a four game suspension

what the kid did was wrong and deserved, but this is absurd that known cheaters are allowed to stay in the league at all.

What is the size of Detroit's media and tv market? How many titles has Detroit won recently? Other than Barry Sanders, Chris Spielman, Jerry Ball, Herman Moore, Billy Sims, and for the classicos out there Bobby Lane how many Detroit Lions players can you think of? The Pats get to stay in the league because they bring in a **** load of money, sell a ****load of merchandise, get people to watch the game, and are good for business. The league is all about business. Its why Peyton and Tom almost always meet in the playoffs. Look for Peyton to get one more shot at a Lombardi this year, by finally going into Foxboro to beat Tom in January and then Tom to go out on top as well in a season or three.

Mace
07-02-2015, 06:13 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/29/lions-fan-fined-for-using-laser-pointer-to-distract-kyle-orton/

Does this punishment seem a little light? Or not?

Seems light to me (ho ho). You can blind someone with one. Should have been assault and made him an example imho. What if it even only distracts someone enough to get steamrollered and damaged by another pro athlete ?

I don't see "dumb kid" as being an excuse at 18. By 18 you know right and wrong, and this wasn't just ringing a doorbell and running, which let's face it, isn't a thing you do so much by 18 or you have some miswiring in the noggin. Who does that kind of stuff ? People who have a deficiency.

Forward_Lateral
07-03-2015, 05:40 AM
Over-react much? The guy got banned from watching games in Detroit, and got his buddy's season tickets revoked. Charge him with assault? Gimme a freaking break. How many fans at the Ralph have throw stuff at players?

The punishment was more than enough. But, hey why not waste more resources that could be used on putting away rapists, drug dealers and murderers?

Mace
07-03-2015, 05:28 PM
Over-react much? The guy got banned from watching games in Detroit, and got his buddy's season tickets revoked. Charge him with assault? Gimme a freaking break. How many fans at the Ralph have throw stuff at players?

The punishment was more than enough. But, hey why not waste more resources that could be used on putting away rapists, drug dealers and murderers?

I didn't say to put him in the state pen for 5 to 10, so it's hardly an overreaction.

As I pointed out simply, you can blind someone with a laser pointer, and even if you only blind them temporarily, doing so during a game where large powerful people collide with violence, where Kevin Everett type injuries can occur makes it assault.

I don't see any problem with it being assault if you hit a player with a battery either, but if you can't see the diff between hitting a heavily padded player with a battery and shining a laser in his eyes, I don't know what to tell you.

It's not socially acceptable law abiding behavior. If you think it's just immature shenanigans, fill your pocket up with batteries, holster up your pointer and walk down the street throwing them at people and shining the pointer in their eyes and get back to me on the results.

Same time, tell me if you'd figure it was just silly kids being kids if someone did it to you.

It's assault. Walk up to a stranger and fire a snowball in their face, see what the charge is.

There's terms of offense for rapists, drug dealers and murderers, doesn't mean you ignore all the other crimes when you catch a criminal being a criminal or life would be dandy for what you could get away with. You think a lifetime ban from the Lions and Ford Field, a $235 dollar fine and 80 hrs of community service are a deterrence to other Jackass types ? C'mon.

SpikedLemonade
07-03-2015, 05:32 PM

You mean Mexicans?