PDA

View Full Version : Dareus Story - Sounds like an extension is coming as OBD is pumping him now

ghz in pittsburgh
06-30-2015, 06:54 AM
http://www.torontosun.com/2015/06/29/bills-dareus-finds-zen-mode-after-wild-few-years

Still 4 weeks to go though before camp opens, we'll see if anything surfaces.

I don't know if the Bills can afford 2 $100 million contracts on one D line. Mario still has 3 years to go with his. So there is potential to have two overlapping years if the Bills give Dareus an extension.

If -- that's a big if -- Dareus is really matured, like we have seen last year, he can be as effective as Richard Seymour in his heyday. As he is currently, you can argue dareus is THE most valuable guy on the Bills (all pro) D line. Maybe Whaley can get him a little cheap now before he puts up another season like 2014. Then again, he can be over weight, getting into trouble again ...

JoeMama
06-30-2015, 06:57 AM
Hey, why not?

Marcell Dareus became the leviathan we all thought he could become last season.

He was an absolute monster.

Doesn't hurt having Mario and Kyle ass to ass beside him, but he's really developed into a special talent in his own right.

We probably will have to cut ties with one of our front four in the next two years, but they'll be an unstoppable force until that time comes.

ghz in pittsburgh
06-30-2015, 07:11 AM
I still vividly remember watching Seymour in NE's first superbowl run at Heinz field. He was just an unstoppable force, on every single play. This is something that I think Dareus needs to improve: every. single. play. Dareus still gave up plays in games.

Topas
06-30-2015, 07:41 AM
I dont think Seymour was unstoppable on every single play. No D line is unstoppable on every single play. Not even JJ Watt and he is better than Seymour.

Pinkerton Security
06-30-2015, 07:50 AM
Nowhere in this article is OBD pumping him up - this is written by the Toronto Sun, not Chris Brown.

I am hoping for an extension as much as the next Bills fan but this article means nothing.

better days
06-30-2015, 08:07 AM
Hey, why not?

Marcell Dareus became the leviathan we all thought he could become last season.

He was an absolute monster.

Doesn't hurt having Mario and Kyle ass to ass beside him, but he's really developed into a special talent in his own right.

We probably will have to cut ties with one of our front four in the next two years, but they'll be an unstoppable force until that time comes.

The cap keeps going up.

If those guys want to be in Buffalo, which I believe they do, the Bills will find a way to keep them all.

elroy16
06-30-2015, 08:50 AM
I think the ace in their back pocket is restructuring Mario's contract. They have to keep Hughes, Mario, and Marcell together. Kyle is getting up there and won't be around for too many more years. I could see him restructuring as well and bring his cap down maybe a little bit. I love Kyle and hope he's around a few more years, but the other three are future pieces, especially Dareus and Hughes.

These guys appear to love playing with each other and the team. Whaley's done a tremendous job bringing in guys that are not only supremely talented, but love playing the game. I think/hope they figure a way out to keep the front four intact and keep a few other upcoming FA's like Gilmore, Glenn, and Bradham.

In terms of Dareus' upcoming year. Will anyone be surprised if we see his best year as a pro? He was distracted and not in the best shape last summer and still had an incredible year. This year he's been in focus, is in shape, and the team motivation/expectations are through the roof.

Ed
06-30-2015, 09:24 AM
Once they extend Dareus this D-line should have at least a few more years together. Kyle's 1 year extension this off-season means he and Mario are both signed through 2017 and Hughes just signed a 5 year deal. Whaley has already talked about not only restructuring Mario's deal, but extending it too so that he finishes his career as a Bill. They'll have a lot of cap tied up in the D-line, but our best players are all on the D-line right now and it's a pretty important unit. As long as we don't have a franchise qb they might as well spend big on the D-line if the talent is there, and it sure is.

At this point I hope they just cut Cassel so they can roll his full $4.75 mil into next season. It doesn't feel like he's going to win the starting job and that money could probably be much better spent next season than using it on a backup qb in 2015.

ghz in pittsburgh
06-30-2015, 10:01 AM
I got your point Ed, but I'm not sure this really is the best way to go with restructuring the D line. I beliving cutting a guy a year too soon than a year too late. 2 to 3 years out, the D line is Dareus and Hughes, not Mario and Kyle. They need to hit someone in the draft as replacement.

The big question is QB and if they ever get someone somewhat decent, you are gonna pay through the nose. Yes the cap is going up every year, but the increase is pretty much eaten up by guys like Tennerhill who is averaging $20 million a year. A collective $10 million/less for all QBs in a team like the Bills will rarely happen again in NFL.

Mr. Miyagi
06-30-2015, 10:52 AM
Kyle will retire as a Bill. He'd restructure if he needs to just to keep the gang together.

You just don't find loyal players like Kyle anymore.

IlluminatusUIUC
06-30-2015, 11:41 AM
guys like Tennerhill who is averaging $20 million a year.

The Fins can get out of Tannehill's deal in less than 24 months with only $6.9 million in dead cap to show for it.

better days
06-30-2015, 11:55 AM
I got your point Ed, but I'm not sure this really is the best way to go with restructuring the D line. I beliving cutting a guy a year too soon than a year too late. 2 to 3 years out, the D line is Dareus and Hughes, not Mario and Kyle. They need to hit someone in the draft as replacement.

The big question is QB and if they ever get someone somewhat decent, you are gonna pay through the nose. Yes the cap is going up every year, but the increase is pretty much eaten up by guys like Tennerhill who is averaging $20 million a year. A collective $10 million/less for all QBs in a team like the Bills will rarely happen again in NFL.

Teams with QB's on Rookie contracts or teams with mediocre QB's can afford to pay BIG MONEY at other positions.

ghz in pittsburgh
06-30-2015, 12:02 PM
I do admit that Mario might be a special case that could result in an exception. I don't know if he maintains his body like the legendary Bruce Smith -- I do know physically he might be more gifted than Bruce to start his NFL career -- but certainly there is not a hint of any deteriation thus far. Out of the Bills front 4 last year, you see Marcell got double-teamed virtually every play. The next guy getting double teamed most was Mario. Granted, Mario is not at Bruce's level as Bruce could beat double teams with some regularity in his peak whereas Mario rarely does that, you just don't replace a guy that commands double teams as a general rule in NFL.

Ed
06-30-2015, 12:09 PM

I know that Mario and Kyle aren't long term players at this point, but they're the guys you pay right now and for the next couple years until their play declines or you have better younger players that you need that cap space for. If the Bills are fortunate enough to have a franchise qb in the near future that commands big money then they're probably going to have to cut salary from the D-line, but who knows how many years away this team is from finding that qb.

better days
06-30-2015, 12:30 PM
I know that Mario and Kyle aren't long term players at this point, but they're the guys you pay right now and for the next couple years until their play declines or you have better younger players that you need that cap space for. If the Bills are fortunate enough to have a franchise qb in the near future that commands big money then they're probably going to have to cut salary from the D-line, but who knows how many years away this team is from finding that qb.

Unless the Bills can get a guy like Philip Rivers, it will most likely be a number of years before they have to pay BIG money to a QB

ghz in pittsburgh
06-30-2015, 12:31 PM

Correction: a QB that worth the Bills offer a 2nd contract to. How many years since that has happened to the Bills? I don't count Fitz since EVERYONE knew that was a mistake in Gailey/Nix's part to give that contract to a known commodity.

The King
06-30-2015, 03:14 PM
Kyle will retire as a Bill. He'd restructure if he needs to just to keep the gang together.

You just don't find loyal players like Kyle anymore.

Kyle already said Buffalo is his last stop. He's not going anywhere.

Oaf
07-02-2015, 04:02 PM
Tenderhill*

Generalissimus Gibby
07-02-2015, 05:14 PM
Pay Dareus the dough. Seriously there are a lot of ways that we could do worse than the law firm of Williams, Dareus, Hughes, and Williams.

Topas
07-03-2015, 01:22 AM
Pay Dareus the dough. Seriously there are a lot of ways that we could do worse than the law firm of Williams, Dareus, Hughes, and Williams.

I am a bit reluctant about having an O-Line that does not have a majority of Williamses. But I think thats why Rex wants to play a 3-4. Then we play Williams, Dareus, and Williams on the line (67% Williams rate) and move Hughes to LB. That should do the trick...

BuffaloRedleg
07-03-2015, 08:57 AM
If you don't have a QB you have to overspend and max out elsewhere to be competitive. Only teams with good QBs get to skimp.

better days
07-03-2015, 12:24 PM
If you don't have a QB you have to overspend and max out elsewhere to be competitive. Only teams with good QBs get to skimp.

Or teams with GOOD QB's are forced to skimp.

The Seahawks will no doubt lose some GOOD players due to the cap after they pay Wilson.