PDA

View Full Version : Bills sign OT Wayne Hunter

Ed
07-01-2015, 01:46 PM
I'm not sure why Rex seems to like this guy as much as he does. I thought he was terrible when he was with the Jets. I can only assume that it's a one year vet min deal with little to no guaranteed money. I hope he's just an extra camp body and doesn't make the 53.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Veteran-OT-Wayne-Hunter-signs-with-Bills/05daa91f-1b2a-4bc1-9891-d1cca1923d1c

SpikedLemonade
07-01-2015, 01:51 PM
I love a lot of things about Rex. His blindness of former players is not one of them.

If this guy is anything more than camp fodder, our OT depth is crap.

feldspar
07-01-2015, 01:55 PM
I love a lot of things about Rex. His blindness of former players is not one of them.

If this guy is anything more than camp fodder, our OT depth is crap.

How many of his former players do the Bills have? Which ones do you disagree with? That really isn't a problem.

I agree about the crap at OT depth part. Something needs to be done about that.

DraftBoy
07-01-2015, 04:22 PM
I would of rather risked a pick on Battle in the Supplemental Draft then have signed Wayne Hunter.

YardRat
07-01-2015, 04:29 PM
Oh great...this guys makes Pears look adequate.

Mace
07-01-2015, 05:00 PM
I'm not sure why Rex seems to like this guy as much as he does. I thought he was terrible when he was with the Jets. I can only assume that it's a one year vet min deal with little to no guaranteed money. I hope he's just an extra camp body and doesn't make the 53.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Veteran-OT-Wayne-Hunter-signs-with-Bills/05daa91f-1b2a-4bc1-9891-d1cca1923d1c

He WAS terrible with the Jets. So they traded him to the Rams, where he was also terrible, then cut. Before the Jets he was terrible with Seattle who drafted him 11 years ago, and then he was terrible with Jacksonville before going to the Jets.

Continuing his tradition of Terrible, he was terrible in 2013, no one wanted him. He followed that up by being terrible in 2014, when no one wanted him. He was so terrible no one has played him in a regular season game since 2011.

He was so terrible in 2012, Ryan benched him in camp for allowing too many sacks.

I can't believe they can't find better camp fodder. The rest of the league had 640 players as camp fodder over the past two seasons, and he wasn't one of them, so he's at best the 641'st best camp fodder.

This a a woeful pickup, even to to do an old chum a solid because it wastes a spot that could be used for a better camp "maybe". "Like who, Mace ?" Well geez, my cousin can block better and she could probably take her vacation for training camp.

EDS
07-01-2015, 05:40 PM
How many of his former players do the Bills have? Which ones do you disagree with? That really isn't a problem.

I agree about the crap at OT depth part. Something needs to be done about that.

Hunter joins Jets refugees John Conner, Matthew Mulligan and Matt Simms. Funny that all the former Jets the Bills have brought in are offensive players. Remember how many of us thought the Jet targets would be guys like David Harris, Mark Sanchez and Bilal Powell.

Mace
07-01-2015, 06:54 PM
Hunter joins Jets refugees John Conner, Matthew Mulligan and Matt Simms. Funny that all the former Jets the Bills have brought in are offensive players. Remember how many of us thought the Jet targets would be guys like David Harris, Mark Sanchez and Bilal Powell.

I'm pretty good with saying I disagree with all of them, myself. Add Lee and Lal (offensive coaches for pretty important positions) and well...it speaks for itself. Maybe it works, I dunno, it will be colorful and amusing in any case.

EDS
07-01-2015, 07:37 PM
I'm pretty good with saying I disagree with all of them, myself. Add Lee and Lal (offensive coaches for pretty important positions) and well...it speaks for itself. Maybe it works, I dunno, it will be colorful and amusing in any case.

I think the changes of any of the former Jets guys even making the roster are below 15%.

Mace
07-01-2015, 07:46 PM
I think the changes of any of the former Jets guys even making the roster are below 15%.

I sure agree, but it will be notable if they do.

YardRat
07-01-2015, 08:09 PM
Why don't we re-sign Ruvell Martin while we're at it? Jesus H Christ.

Mace
07-01-2015, 08:12 PM
Why don't we re-sign Ruvell Martin while we're at it? Jesus H Christ.

Because they'd have to cut Wayne Hunter or Matthew Mulligan. Vicious circle.

feldspar
07-01-2015, 08:40 PM

Sure, but how many of those guys have a real chance to contribute much?

I was thinking David Harris, but not so much the other two you mentioned. Not Sanchez at all.

Jimkelly12203
07-01-2015, 08:45 PM
Hunter was so bad in NY it was news worthy. That is to say, they had entire articles about how bad he was.

That being said, you need bodies to run a training camp and, in my opinion, the more famililar you are with those bodies the better.

I get the signing if it is to fill a roll this summer. Someone that knows Rex and (likely) a bit about what Roman might do.

If, on the other hand, this was a serious signing with significant playing time in mind from September to the end of the season, then i will agree. Rex is nuts.

I don't think Rex is nuts though. I think this is a good dude that Rex likes who (despite not being an NFL caliber tackle) can help us get through training camp. You NEED bodies. Especially when Roman is going to be running two offenses at the same time to increase the number of reps. People you are familiar with are quite helpful in such circumstances.

All of that said, if hunter is positioned as a key back-up in week one, we're in trouble. If he's a starter we're ****ed.

Mace
07-01-2015, 08:54 PM
Hunter was so bad in NY it was news worthy. That is to say, they had entire articles about how bad he was.

That being said, you need bodies to run a training camp and, in my opinion, the more famililar you are with those bodies the better.

That sort of means you need to be familiar with how terrible he is too though, considering you're the one who knew enough to bench him in training camp for being terrible 3 years ago, and he has no body of work since because every one else thought he was terrible too to the point he's not been on a roster in 2 years.

This was just a terrible decision. Dude is going to be 34 in two days, his terrible is certain.

His upside is that his nonexistent skills are declining and he might get a burst of old-man strength.

Jimkelly12203
07-01-2015, 10:45 PM
That sort of means you need to be familiar with how terrible he is too though, considering you're the one who knew enough to bench him in training camp for being terrible 3 years ago, and he has no body of work since because every one else thought he was terrible too to the point he's not been on a roster in 2 years.

This was just a terrible decision. Dude is going to be 34 in two days, his terrible is certain.

His upside is that his nonexistent skills are declining and he might get a burst of old-man strength.

I guess my ultimate point is that you need bodies in training camp. We are thin at OT. If he was signed simply to have a knowledgeable body for fill-in duty then it makes a lot of sense. You can't run a practice that requires 4 OTs when you only have 3, for example. If they honestly think he's going to contribute when the live bullets are flying, then we are even more desperate than i thought.

But i could see myself signing a familiar face for the purpose of running a camp.

Time will tell. For my part, i'm just praying that the theory that Marrone is so bad of a coach that our OL looked far worse than it is capable of being is true.

I don't think there's any question that Marrone did a really bad job with that unit. How good (or bad) we are on the OL remains to be seen. I know we have some big dudes though. Lets hope they can benefit from a superior scheme. I rest easy knowing full well that virtually any scheme is better than the one we ran the last few years.

Sans Levitre, this is the same unit that helped spiller gain over 5 yards per carry under Chan Gailey.

Hunter cannot possibly be a serious part of the plan at that spot. I hope...

IlluminatusUIUC
07-02-2015, 01:08 AM
I asked this before and it still boggles me. If we are going to bring in guys to help install the system, why are they rex's guys? Roman should be bringing in his old guys to work the offense.

Night Train
07-02-2015, 04:13 AM
Camp body. Calm down.

Hoping UDFA OT Chandler is a catch as a developmental prospect.

If we need to complain about this, it shows it's down time and we're bored. (" I haven't *****ed about the Bills in weeks ! Give me anything ! " )

GreedoII
07-02-2015, 05:15 AM
camp fodder..relax you dopes...

swiper
07-02-2015, 05:18 AM
http://www.bullshift.net/data/images/2015/03/largepleasedflounder.gif

mysticsoto
07-02-2015, 05:20 AM
Maybe Hunter is there as a teacher...to show the other OL what *NOT* to do...

DraftBoy
07-02-2015, 05:37 AM
Camp body. Calm down.

Hoping UDFA OT Chandler is a catch as a developmental prospect.

If we need to complain about this, it shows it's down time and we're bored. (" I haven't *****ed about the Bills in weeks ! Give me anything ! " )

I think that's an oversimplification, I believe Rex was quoted a few weeks ago expressing concern about the OL depth and that he was going to be adding a veteran. I don't think Hunter is signed just as a warm camp body which is why people are understandably concerned/upset.

swiper
07-02-2015, 07:26 AM
I think that's an oversimplification, I believe Rex was quoted a few weeks ago expressing concern about the OL depth and that he was going to be adding a veteran. I don't think Hunter is signed just as a warm camp body which is why people are understandably concerned/upset.

Or... maybe it's the move is just to remind Henderson & Kuoandijo that they had better keep working.

Bill Cody
07-02-2015, 08:38 AM
He's a bad player but he gives one hell of a pedicure

Ed
07-02-2015, 09:16 AM
I would of rather risked a pick on Battle in the Supplemental Draft then have signed Wayne Hunter.
They could still submit a pick for Battle. I don't think Wayne Hunter is going to stop them from adding young talent if they have the opportunity.

SpikedLemonade
07-02-2015, 09:18 AM
They could still submit a pick for Battle. I don't think Wayne Hunter is going to stop them from adding young talent if they have the opportunity.

I hope they do.

This OL needs a lot more talent to be competitive.

AND if we let Glenn walk next year, Holy Crap!

DraftBoy
07-02-2015, 09:44 AM
Or... maybe it's the move is just to remind Henderson & Kuoandijo that they had better keep working.

Is that supposed to make anybody feel better about how the Coaching Staff and Front Office view team building?

- - - Updated - - -

We shall see. I hope they do make an offer.

justasportsfan
07-02-2015, 09:53 AM
Is Whaley on his way out? Sounds like a dumb move that obviously was Rex's decision.

Rex should shut stay away from anything on offense.

Mr. Miyagi
07-02-2015, 10:10 AM
would have not would of

Meathead
07-02-2015, 12:11 PM
any reports hunter has been applying himself or anything? like maybe spending months with some old ol guru coach or something. or maybe this is some kind of signal to players or something from rex, maybe to work harder or loyalty something like that. cuz yeah its mildly surprising hes the best they could do

DraftBoy
07-02-2015, 03:35 PM
would have not would of

Catsup Ketchup

Mace
07-02-2015, 05:46 PM
any reports hunter has been applying himself or anything? like maybe spending months with some old ol guru coach or something.

No. Funniest I've seen was :

"He is a guy that did a tremendous job for us early," Ryan said of Hunter's stint with the Jets (http://www.nfl.com/teams/newyorkjets/profile?team=NYJ) from 2008 to 2011. "I think in an ideal world there are some players for whatever reason that are better in multiple roles and being almost like a utility guy, playing guard, tackle, tight end. Giving you a lot of that versatility, a smart athletic guy."

Followed by :

Jets (http://www.nfl.com/teams/newyorkjets/profile?team=NYJ) fans will remember Hunter as a liability at the position, serving as an open barn door against pass rushers before Gang Green finally traded him to the Rams (http://www.nfl.com/teams/st.louisrams/profile?team=STL) for another embattled tackle, Jason Smith.

From : http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000499648/article/buffalo-bills-sign-veteran-ot-wayne-hunter

So Rex (who doesn't know offense) figures he's a "smart, athletic" (34 year old) guy who did well for the Jets, oh, 4-5 years ago or so when he was a sprightly 28 year old vet, though Ryan benched him in camp in 2012, then traded him. Hunter was such a smart athletic utility linemen, the Rams cut him without a regular season snap, and no one whatever wanted him for 2 years.

So you have to figure Hunter has had some time to age and decline from his pinnacle of terrible barn door.

Makes me grind my teeth. Roman/Kromer are supposed to know their stuff, seems a reach to think Hunter is their stuff. And if they're all that, grab a lineman with upside, even as a camp body. Need a vet, get someone who hasn't been out of the sport for 2 years and hasn't taken a regular season snap since 2011. Didn't see the Jets wanting the smart athletic barn door back these past years he hasn't been doing anything.

Woeful signing.

YardRat
07-03-2015, 05:14 AM
If Wayne Hunter is going to 'scare' KuJo and Henderson into 'trying harder' when they already are competing against each other in what is probably the most contested position battle (along with QB) on the offensive side of the ball than the issue at RT is far more serious than we think. Maybe we should also sign Joe Namath to push Cassel and EJ.

better days
07-03-2015, 07:25 AM
If Wayne Hunter is going to 'scare' KuJo and Henderson into 'trying harder' when they already are competing against each other in what is probably the most contested position battle (along with QB) on the offensive side of the ball than the issue at RT is far more serious than we think. Maybe we should also sign Joe Namath to push Cassel and EJ.

TE Matt Mulligan who played for Rex before said Rex likes players that are willing to get their hands dirty.

Matt said Rex wants a TOUGH team on both sides of the ball, offense & defense.

And Rex said as much himself when he was hired. He said we are going to build a bully.

Like Mulligan, Hunter is most likely a tough SOB who is more than willing to get his hands dirty.

You won't see Johnathan Martin or his ilk on the Bills, Rex wants tough beer drinking men playing for him, not wusses that drink Spiked Lemonade.

Mace
07-03-2015, 05:10 PM
TE Matt Mulligan who played for Rex before said Rex likes players that are willing to get their hands dirty.

Matt said Rex wants a TOUGH team on both sides of the ball, offense & defense.

And Rex said as much himself when he was hired. He said we are going to build a bully.

Like Mulligan, Hunter is most likely a tough SOB who is more than willing to get his hands dirty.

You won't see Johnathan Martin or his ilk on the Bills, Rex wants tough beer drinking men playing for him, not wusses that drink Spiked Lemonade.

He might like tough guys willing to get their hands dirty but it would be good if he could find competent tough guys who like to get their hands dirty instead of terrible tough guys who like to get their hands dirty who are 34 years old that no one wanted to try to sip for two years in a linemen thirsty league.

Funny shot at Spiked though. No offense, Spiked old son.

SpikedLemonade
07-03-2015, 05:18 PM
Rex said.

Rex said.

better days
07-03-2015, 05:53 PM
Rex said.

Rex said.

You keep repeating yourself, in more than one thread.

Too much SpikedLemonade tonight?

Mace
07-03-2015, 06:45 PM
You keep repeating yourself, in more than one thread.

Too much SpikedLemonade tonight?

You have to notice the "Rex Said" number changes, because Rex keeps saying. Got to love nuance. By regular season you can expect 50 or more "Rex Said"'s if he doesn't lose interest.

DraftBoy
07-09-2015, 04:17 PM
http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2015/07/09/rams-pick-ot-battle-in-supplemental-draft/

Buffalo did their homework on Battle and even sent offensive line coach Aaron Kromer to Battle’s pro day to take a look. Battle has some off the field issues that were of concern to some NFL clubs.

With Buffalo signing veteran OT Wayne Hunter just last week to be the fifth offensive tackle on their roster, it was unlikely that the Bills would give up a draft choice for the supplemental prospect.

Mace
07-09-2015, 09:36 PM
http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2015/07/09/rams-pick-ot-battle-in-supplemental-draft/

I still don't understand why though. You build a team through better maybe's than you have not surely terribles.

Oh well, let it roll.

DraftBoy
07-10-2015, 05:32 AM
I still don't understand why though. You build a team through better maybe's than you have not surely terribles.

Oh well, let it roll.

It's just disappointing is all. There is no guarantee Battle will ever amount to anything, but he sure as hell had a lot more upside than Hunter who we know is horrid. The idea that we signed a guy we know sucks and basically took a guy who has potential off the board is utterly ridiculous.

k-oneputt
07-10-2015, 06:31 AM
Hunter isn't making this team anyways. Camp body.

IlluminatusUIUC
07-10-2015, 12:30 PM
It's just disappointing is all. There is no guarantee Battle will ever amount to anything, but he sure as hell had a lot more upside than Hunter who we know is horrid. The idea that we signed a guy we know sucks and basically took a guy who has potential off the board is utterly ridiculous.

La'el Collins' agent admitted his whole "return to the draft" was a bluff too, and we wouldn't even risk a 7th on him.

SpikedLemonade
07-10-2015, 12:38 PM
There is an almost 2 decade history of the Bills under evaluating the OL position.

Obtaining OL is always an after thought.

The draft history is one of very few early picks used on the OL.

When we do get a good OL, we tend to lose him to free agency or trade him away.

better days
07-10-2015, 02:43 PM

So what would you have given up for Battle?

better days
07-10-2015, 02:44 PM
There is an almost 2 decade history of the Bills under evaluating the OL position.

So who did the Bills lose on the OL this year, the first under the new owner?

I was not aware the Bills lost anyone important at ANY position.

DraftBoy
07-10-2015, 03:03 PM
So what would you have given up for Battle?

a 4th easily.

EDS
07-10-2015, 03:30 PM
So who did the Bills lose on the OL this year, the first under the new owner?

I was not aware the Bills lost anyone important at ANY position.

Clearly for Pegs and Co. the test will be what happens with Glenn et. al. in 2016.

better days
07-11-2015, 07:38 AM
Clearly for Pegs and Co. the test will be what happens with Glenn et. al. in 2016.

So resigning & keeping Hughes was not an A+ in Pegs & Co. first test?

better days
07-11-2015, 07:40 AM
a 4th easily.

OK. Now we will have to wait & see who the Bills draft in the 4th next year & see how he compares to Battle.

And as I said before, Rex no doubt knows much more about Battle than anyone on this board or in the media for that matter.

The Bills may have put in a claim for Battle in the 5th rnd who knows?

But it is obvious the Bills did not consider Battle worth a 4th rnd pick.

swiper
07-12-2015, 05:27 AM

Most of that was Ralph Wilson. He didn't think the line was that important and that guys could be had down in the draft that could handle the job.

swiper
07-12-2015, 05:31 AM
OK. Now we will have to wait & see who the Bills draft in the 4th next year & see how he compares to Battle.

And as I said before, Rex no doubt knows much more about Battle than anyone on this board or in the media for that matter.

The Bills may have put in a claim for Battle in the 5th rnd who knows?

But it is obvious the Bills did not consider Battle worth a 4th rnd pick.

One thing is certain. La'el Collins (http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2015/06/26/lael-collins-nfl-dallas-cowboys/29333721/) will be better than this Battle. IF the tackle position was such a problem, I still cannot understand why the Bills didn't use a 7th round pick on the guy. Them not doing that, makes all this Battle talk just sound stupid. They obviously were interested in Collins, having sent Rex Ryan himself down to meet with him. They could have had a better player at a lower cost had they done that.

Mace
07-19-2015, 07:38 PM
B: Hunter is an insurance signing. Partly due to Seantrel Henderson’s spring, in which he didn’t make the first impression he had hoped on the new offensive staff. Henderson has time to redeem himself, but the Bills want a vet they feel they can rely on in the event of injury.

You need to look at Hunter as veteran insurance as a possible swing tackle, extra tight end in short yardage situations. Nothing more, nothing less.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2015/07/17/fan-friday-7-17-2/

Then they should have signed a vet they could rely on in case of injury. Possible swing tackle, extra TE in short yardage, would have been good if they could find one who maybe played a snap or was on a team the last 2 years, not like all the teams including Ryan's didn't want him for 2 years anyway because he's such a tremendous FA catch under the bottom of the barrel, not like you need the bottom of a barrel though when you can snatch a Wayne Hunter from 31 other teams who never even considered him for a couple years.

I'm sure glad Kromer is here to snap him together.

swiper
07-21-2015, 04:31 PM
Well, Mr. Hunter, that's that.

swiper
07-21-2015, 04:34 PM

Good call.