PDA

View Full Version : Are the Sabres now a playoff team?

Meathead
07-05-2015, 10:43 PM
October marks a fresh start for the Sabres. No team - not the Oilers, Coyotes, Hurricanes or Maple Leafs - lost as many games (120) as Buffalo over the last two seasons. They lost 102 of those games in regulation alone, back-to-back 51-loss campaigns.

With such sweeping moves, are the Sabres now a playoff team?

“You’re never going to get me to say that,” Murray responded. “If we go to the Conference Finals in two years and you ask me (then) if we’re going to make the playoffs the next year, I’m not going to say that.”

The turnaround would be historic - but not necessarily unprecedented.

The last team to go from 30th place to the playoffs the following season was the 2007-08 Philadelphia Flyers.

http://www.tsn.ca/are-the-sabres-now-a-playoff-team-1.325170

rbochan
07-06-2015, 06:48 AM
I don't even know who the **** is on this team.

Yasgur's Farm
07-06-2015, 07:11 AM
IMO, they're gonna add 40 - 50 points onto last years total of 54... That could get them to top 3 in the Atlantic division... Playoff format includes the top 3 from each division with additional 2 wildcard teams to round out to 8 teams.

casdhf
07-06-2015, 07:21 AM
It will all be dependent on how fast the team gels. If they start slow, I hope they can close strong.

POTLAND PSILBYLO
07-06-2015, 07:27 AM
The question is what would be the real record with trying to tank?

trapezeus
07-06-2015, 08:59 AM
i think they have a shot at the 8th seed. especially with boston dismantling.

you also have to remember that teams did well because there were teams in the doghouse like the sabres, toronto (in the second half) and arizona. there were some legendarily bad teams giving up points to other teams routinely. if the sabres get better, they won't need to beat the 95+ points to get in. it should level out some more and give the 8th seed 83-88 points to get in.

it's doable, but you are asking a lot from the kids.

WagonCircler
07-06-2015, 10:12 AM
it's doable, but you are asking a lot from the kids.

I think it's easy to forget that ROR and Kane are young, but not really kids. And I'm very interested to see what Ennis looks like with actual talent around him. I think Gionta has a decent season left in him too.

In any case, they will be much more fun to watch than they have been in years.

coastal
07-06-2015, 10:25 AM
They're missing another top 4 D man... preferably a top pairing guy to play with Risto.

Lehner would have to become elite for them to make playoffs this year.

Here are the teams I think definitely make playoffs next year...

Tampa
Capitals
Senators
Florida
Montreal
NY Rangers
Columbus

That leaves Detroit, Pittsburgh, Boston and the Isles competing perhaps with the Sabres for the last spot. A lot would have to go really right.

trapezeus
07-06-2015, 10:38 AM
I think it's easy to forget that ROR and Kane are young, but not really kids. And I'm very interested to see what Ennis looks like with actual talent around him. I think Gionta has a decent season left in him too.

In any case, they will be much more fun to watch than they have been in years.

yeah, and the sabres just didn't score last year. this year, it looks like if things gel, they could be a 3 goal a game team. i agree, they should be a lot more fun to watch.

i really hope kane finds his groove early. just a little postive movement forward early in the season could be enough to get the team in the right mind frame.

if kane and oreilly can take pressue off other guys and balance the offensive production with moulson and ennis, the younger guys will be able to find their game without as much pressure.

POTLAND PSILBYLO
07-06-2015, 10:39 AM
Oops I meant *without.*

Seriously. Were the sabres trying to win?

mightysimi
07-06-2015, 10:58 AM
It is a lot to ask for virtually every player still on the roster from last year to improve their play. One season turn arounds do happen but I think they are still a year off or more. The last thing to come for kids is usually the defensive responsibility and like had been said if Lehner doesn't stand on his head it is going to be tough to crack the top 8.

WagonCircler
07-06-2015, 11:01 AM
It is a lot to ask for virtually every player still on the roster from last year to improve their play..

But that's really not that many players, and by opening day it will be even less.

mightysimi
07-06-2015, 11:23 AM
But that's really not that many players, and by opening day it will be even less.

I will admit I don't know the roster as well as you guys but won't it be at least half or 2/3rd returning or rookies coming up?

Downinfloflo
07-06-2015, 11:23 AM
Panthers and Blue Jackets are ahead of Buffalo, Pitt got the last playoff spot last season by beating Buffalo and finishing with 98 points.

Not a playoff team.

WagonCircler
07-06-2015, 12:16 PM
I will admit I don't know the roster as well as you guys but won't it be at least half or 2/3rd returning or rookies coming up?

Well, depending on what the line combinations end up being, it's likely that only two of the top 6 forwards, Moulson and Ennis, will be carryovers from last year's roster. The starting goaltender is new.

And the Defense, while a work in progress, just might include a player like Johnny Odouya.

And even among the carryovers on the remaining offensive lines, I think we can expect to see major improvement from Zemgus, changed personnel notwithstanding.

This is an unprecedented flip of a roster in one season, and it's magnified by the fact that they were trying to be bad for the past two years.

You're probably about right that about half of the roster will be returning, but when you look at the impact players and those who will get the most ice time, this team is almost unrecognizable when compared to last year's.

OpIv37
07-06-2015, 12:41 PM
With ROR and Kane and Bogosian for the whole year (assuming he stays healthy), plus the young guys, I don't see any way we are last place this coming year.

But playoffs means getting at least 40 more points in the standings. That's a tall order for a young team with a lot of new faces. So, I'm going to go with no, but it wouldn't shock me to see them sneak in as the 8th seed.

Crisis
07-06-2015, 04:35 PM
I see us as a bubble team that ultimately misses the playoffs.

swiper
07-06-2015, 05:21 PM
Poll: Will the '15-16 Sabres make the playoffs?

IDK.

But I am sure I will finally watch some hockey for the first time in 2 or 3 years.

coastal
07-06-2015, 06:49 PM
IDK.

But I am sure I will finally watch some hockey for the first time in 2 or 3 years.
I can hardly wait!

Night Train
07-07-2015, 04:36 AM
I voted no.

They are improving and I'm very happy with what Murray is doing... but they still need a year to gel and another off-season to strengthen the roster.

They only scored 161 goals last season. It takes more than 1 off-season to correct that.

WagonCircler
07-07-2015, 10:42 AM
I voted no.

They are improving and I'm very happy with what Murray is doing... but they still need a year to gel and another off-season to strengthen the roster.

They only scored 161 goals last season. It takes more than 1 off-season to correct that.

Mostly agree, but the numbers from last year are less relevant when 4 of the top 6 forwards have been replaced.

And when you factor in that Boston and Toronto are in full-on rebuild mode, you just never know.

Yasgur's Farm
07-07-2015, 10:59 AM
I voted no.

They only scored 161 goals last season. It takes more than 1 off-season to correct that.Potentially.. 80 goals (50%) have bee added with the addition of ROR, Kane, Eichle and Reinhart alone.

mightysimi
07-07-2015, 11:10 AM
Potentially.. 80 goals (50%) have bee added with the addition of ROR, Kane, Eichle and Reinhart alone.

That's a lot of faith. ROR has proven to score over 25 once. Kane has done it once. Eichel and Reinhart haven't even played a shift in the NHL. That's a lot of faith that they can average 20 goals each. Not to mention, as edmonton has shown, if you don't have D to get those guys the puck, they can't score. The only 2 guys on D that have shown the ability to do that are Risto and Bogo.

swiper
07-07-2015, 11:24 AM
Potentially.. 80 goals (50%) have bee added with the addition of ROR, Kane, Eichle and Reinhart alone.

Doesn't seem you subtracted goals for the players lost.

JATMtheJATM
07-07-2015, 03:21 PM
They're missing another top 4 D man... preferably a top pairing guy to play with Risto.

Lehner would have to become elite for them to make playoffs this year.

Here are the teams I think definitely make playoffs next year...

Tampa
Capitals
Senators
Florida
Montreal
NY Rangers
Columbus

That leaves Detroit, Pittsburgh, Boston and the Isles competing perhaps with the Sabres for the last spot. A lot would have to go really right.

Detroit getting green was HUGE. they needed a puck moving d-man in the worst way. They got it. Long term, they got good guys, but no one that can replace zetterberg and datsyuk

coastal
07-07-2015, 04:02 PM
Detroit getting green was HUGE. they needed a puck moving d-man in the worst way. They got it. Long term, they got good guys, but no one that can replace zetterberg and datsyuk
Nothing imminent at least... Larkin seems to be on the right path in a very big way.

Like Reinhart.. he's a few years away from making a difference though.

even with the coaching change, they're still a stable organization and always going to be in the mix for a playoff spot.

Yasgur's Farm
07-07-2015, 05:42 PM
Doesn't seem you subtracted goals for the players lost.Players lost would be the bottom 4 forwards from 2015 season... not sure what their exact contribution was, but I would think very little.

JATMtheJATM
07-07-2015, 07:51 PM
Nothing imminent at least... Larkin seems to be on the right path in a very big way.

Like Reinhart.. he's a few years away from making a difference though.

even with the coaching change, they're still a stable organization and always going to be in the mix for a playoff spot.

Probably. But they were going the wrong way big time. The young players are good, but not future franchise core players like zetterberg and datsyuk. And z and datsyuk aren't the same players they were a few years ago. Larkin looks good though. And the sabres are gonna need a few seasons too. I'm still bummed they lost zadorov, I liked his size and speed. I hope they replace him with a d man next draft.

coastal
07-07-2015, 08:34 PM
I don't get the Zad love.

all the talent in the world and a five cent head.

JATMtheJATM
07-07-2015, 09:36 PM
I don't get the Zad love.

all the talent in the world and a five cent head.

Even at 19, he had flashes of brilliance. Him showing up late once isn't the end of the world and I think it's overblown. But it's not our issue any more. 6 foot 5 inch mobile defensemen aren't a dime a dozen in the NHL.

swiper
07-08-2015, 03:50 AM
Players lost would be the bottom 4 forwards from 2015 season... not sure what their exact contribution was, but I would think very little.

Wait a minute. I keep reading that they've replace 4/6 of the top two lines. What about the contribution of those guys? Stafford? Myers?

coastal
07-08-2015, 05:56 AM
Even at 19, he had flashes of brilliance. Him showing up late once isn't the end of the world and I think it's overblown. But it's not our issue any more. 6 foot 5 inch mobile defensemen aren't a dime a dozen in the NHL.im not talking about him being late... I'm talking about the way he plays the game.

JATMtheJATM
07-08-2015, 06:20 AM
im not talking about him being late... I'm talking about the way he plays the game.

Yeah, he looked like a raw 19 year old.

Yasgur's Farm
07-08-2015, 08:47 AM
Wait a minute. I keep reading that they've replace 4/6 of the top two lines. What about the contribution of those guys? Stafford? Myers?1) Myers played D.. not forward.
2) While you bring up Safford and his 9 goal contribution, you fail to mention Ellis' single goal contribution.
3) 2014/15 saw 127 goals from the 22 forwards.
4) I project 82 game production as follows... ROR (30), Kane (30), Ennis (25), Eichel (20), Girgensons (20), Gionta (15), Moulson (14), Larson (12), Foligno (11), Reinhart (10), others (13)... Total from front liners = 200 (57% higher than 2014/15)
5) Assuming a modest 25 goal contribution from the D, we're looking at 225 total team goals (40% increase)... Top 8 in the conference.

mightysimi
07-08-2015, 09:16 AM
4 of the first 5 guys have never done what you expect them to do. I can understand optimism but everyone having a career year is a lot to ask.

coastal
07-08-2015, 09:27 AM
Yeah, he looked like a raw 19 year old.
He looked like a monkey ****** a football.

mightysimi
07-08-2015, 09:51 AM

Kudos for the Days of Thunder tie in.

Yasgur's Farm
07-08-2015, 09:56 AM
4 of the first 5 guys have never done what you expect them to do. I can understand optimism but everyone having a career year is a lot to ask.Kane has had a 30 goal season (74 games)...
ROR has had a 28 goal season...
Ennis has 21, 20, and 20 goal seasons. And it cold be argued that he's coming into his own...
Girgensons had 15 goals in 61 GP. That projects to 20 goals over 82 GP...
All 4 have never had the quality of line mates that they'll likely see this coming season...
Call it optimism if you like... But it looks like good solid projections to me.

mightysimi
07-08-2015, 10:19 AM
Kane has had a 30 goal season (74 games)...
ROR has had a 28 goal season...
Ennis has 21, 20, and 20 goal seasons. And it cold be argued that he's coming into his own...
Girgensons had 15 goals in 61 GP. That projects to 20 goals over 82 GP...
All 4 have never had the quality of line mates that they'll likely see this coming season...
Call it optimism if you like... But it looks like good solid projections to me.

It's still asking everyone to do something they haven't. Kane had at times played with good line mates (Little, Wheeler) but could never stick due to ineffective production. I hope for your sake you are right but I will agree to disagree. Well on offence anyways.

On D, I think you will still have a problem keeping them out.

JATMtheJATM
07-08-2015, 10:38 AM

I liked his game alot of nights

GreedoII
07-08-2015, 11:51 AM
yes..next question..how any rounds do they go....

JATMtheJATM
07-08-2015, 12:33 PM
4. Sweep all 4 rounds.

Mace
07-09-2015, 09:12 PM
I voted no. They smell like losing to me and you don't wipe off that stench in one offseason. Sometimes you never do. It's ingrained now. Wildcard to me is that Bylsma has a system. Nolan had no system and just was about hard work. Bottom line is they are used to losing with effort. I don't know if it matters they can now lose in a system with effort with a bunch of young guys. Bylsma will gain some craggy lines on that face and a white head of cropped receding hair before he sees where it goes, imho.