PDA

View Full Version : Looks Like Philip Rivers Will Be The Best Available Quarterback In 2016

BillsImpossible
07-08-2015, 06:57 PM
Still no contract extension for Rivers from the Chargers.

Rivers won't sign with the Bolts unless they guarantee him they won't move to LA. He turns 34 years old in December. I think Rivers has at least 3 good years left in him and the lack of contract writing on the wall makes me think this will be his last year playing for the San Diego Chargers.

Chances are, the Bills will probably be looking for a quarterback next year. I hope that is not the case, but just in case the Bills don't hit the QB Lottery in 2015:

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/1813/philip-rivers

Rivers is an UFA in 2016. No draft picks required to obtain his services, but how do the Bills sign Rivers and Dareus too?

If the Dolphins can sign Ndamukong Suh to a 6-year, $114 million contract and extend Ryan Tennehill to a 4-year, $77 million contract in the same off season, the Bills should be able to do essentially the same thing. (If necessary.)

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/miami-dolphins/ryan-tannehill/

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/miami-dolphins/ndamukong-suh/

Topas
07-09-2015, 02:20 AM
But SD could franchise him, or?
So, I am not sure abour the "no draft pick required" statement.

ParanoidAndroid
07-09-2015, 03:53 AM
He'll retire before he plays in Buffalo. He doesn't even want to leave SD for LA.

JoeMama
07-09-2015, 06:28 AM
Philip Rivers & San Diego will probably strike a deal at some point.

Which is a shame because Rivers is the perfect QB to take us to the promised land.

If we signed him, not only would we be immediate SB contenders, I'd go so far to call us prohibitive favorites to win it all.

We would destroy every team in our path with Rivers at the helm, McCoy pounding the rock, our very promising host of receiving options, and our absolutely sick defense.

ParanoidAndroid
07-09-2015, 12:55 PM
I've been through imagining this as well as with Brees after the rumors of him leaving NO. It's fun to imagine, and you're right. We would be instant favorites, but...

Generalissimus Gibby
07-09-2015, 03:28 PM
I would rather find a young gun, develop him and have a rock solid guy to build a team around. I mean sure, win now, but bring in a qb so that over the years we can prolong success.

Ingtar33
07-10-2015, 01:44 AM
He'll retire before he plays in Buffalo. He doesn't even want to leave SD for LA.

he specifically doesn't want to raise his kids in LA. it's LA not being a family town that is the issue for Rivers. He's expressed no reservation about going somewhere else. he just hates LA as a city. it's a personal thing. Not that i blame him, i wouldn't raise kids in LA either.

I suspect he wants to play for a team competing for a superbowl. expect Denver, Phoenix, the Jets and Buffalo to be the top contenders for him if he escapes the chargers.

better days
07-10-2015, 08:31 AM
he specifically doesn't want to raise his kids in LA. it's LA not being a family town that is the issue for Rivers. He's expressed no reservation about going somewhere else. he just hates LA as a city. it's a personal thing. Not that i blame him, i wouldn't raise kids in LA either.

I suspect he wants to play for a team competing for a superbowl. expect Denver, Phoenix, the Jets and Buffalo to be the top contenders for him if he escapes the chargers.

And Rivers was born in Alabama. Played at NC State in College.

He is an East Coast guy. I think he would be open to coming back to the East to finish his career, especially if the Chargers move to LA.

ParanoidAndroid
07-12-2015, 06:54 AM
That's a strange argument. He doesn't have to live in LA if the team moves there. There are plenty of nice places close enough to commute with fantastic public and private schools he can surely afford. It's not like he has to live in Watts or Long Beach. There's **** parts of SD, too.

better days
07-12-2015, 10:19 AM
That's a strange argument. He doesn't have to live in LA if the team moves there. There are plenty of nice places close enough to commute with fantastic public and private schools he can surely afford. It's not like he has to live in Watts or Long Beach. There's **** parts of SD, too.

Commuting in LA is not like commuting in Buffalo.

It takes forever to get anywhere in LA.

Ingtar33
07-12-2015, 02:20 PM

I love visiting LA, Chicago, NY and Tokyo, i would never voluntarily live in LA, NY or Tokyo under any circumstance (Chicago is ok). Sometimes you just get that impression from a place. He's a good enough QB he can make this demand. If he were a career bench warmer under contract, i somehow think he'd go to LA with the team. But he's got leverage (no contract) and the career to have some choice over where he goes. and he simply doesn't like LA.

BillsImpossible
07-12-2015, 03:08 PM
Rivers is a great quarterback in a not so great NFL town. He has Hall of Fame potential.

San Diego is a very transient kind of place. So is LA. It's only about a 1 hour and 15 minute drive from San Diego to LA.

When I lived out there the one thing I noticed the most was the lack of of any sense of community. There was no sense of community because of all the people were coming and going at an equal pace.

A change of scenery could be what Rivers is looking for to finish out his career.

11 and soon to be 12 years of a great NFL quarterback playing in a town that just doesn't dig the NFL like people in the Northeastern parts of the US do.

If I was a great competitor like Rivers, I'd want to finish my career battling against Tom Brady in the AFC East, in a community like Buffalo.

BillsImpossible
07-12-2015, 03:14 PM
He's Irish and Catholic. For God's sake, please bring this man to Buffalo!

Mr. Pink
07-13-2015, 10:39 AM
What does it matter if the Chargers move to LA on where Rivers would live?

If he lives in San Diego, he can stay in San Diego and just drive up to LA. It's not like LA to SD is across the country, it's like a 2 hour drive.

better days
07-13-2015, 10:42 AM
I love visiting LA, Chicago, NY and Tokyo, i would never voluntarily live in LA, NY or Tokyo under any circumstance (Chicago is ok). Sometimes you just get that impression from a place. He's a good enough QB he can make this demand. If he were a career bench warmer under contract, i somehow think he'd go to LA with the team. But he's got leverage (no contract) and the career to have some choice over where he goes. and he simply doesn't like LA.

I have never been to Tokyo, but I have driven in LA, Chicago, NYC, Washington, Boston & I would take any of those Cities over LA in regards getting around in traffic.

Victor7
07-13-2015, 12:37 PM
I try not to think too much about this because its seems like an impossible scenario. I seriously doubt Diego will ever let him go and if they do are we really the team he'd sign with ?? Seems like a pipe dream to me.

But

If it were to happen .... man it would be epic.

Ingtar33
07-13-2015, 06:02 PM
I have never been to Tokyo, but I have driven in LA, Chicago, NYC, Washington, Boston & I would take any of those Cities over LA in regards getting around in traffic.

Tokyo has much worse traffic then NYC or LA, i suspect this is why they all use the train there. nice train system by the way.

and yeah, LA is a mess. driving at rush hour is impossible. terrible road system, awful public transport. And no, i'd never live there by choice unless my career made it a mandatory requirement.