X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Haile SpikedLemonade
    • Jun 2024

2015 NFL FAN EQUITY RANKINGS

For the past three years, we have tried to answer the question of which teams have the “best” fans. “Best” is a funny word that can mean a lot of things but what we are really trying to get at is what team has the most avid, engaged, passionate and supportive fans. The twist is that we are doing this using hard data, and that we are doing it in a very controlled and statistically careful fashion.

By hard data we mean data on actual fan behavior. In particular, we are focused on market outcomes like attendance, prices or revenues. A lot of marketing research focused on branding issues relies on things like consumer surveys. This is fine in some ways, but opinion surveys are also problematic. It’s one thing to just say you are a fan of a local team, and quite another to be willing to pay several thousand dollars to purchase a season ticket....

#28 Buffalo Bills

https://scholarblogs.emory.edu/esma/2015/07/08/2015-nfl-fan-equity-rankings/

I don't agree with the ranking but I wanted to give those that love Buffalo so much that they left the city long ago an opportunity to crap all over this article.

Have at it!!!
    Last edited by Guest; 07-09-2015, 05:25 PM.
  • Victor7
    • Jul 2013

Re: 2015 NFL FAN EQUITY RANKINGS

28 ???

What a total crap ranking. I mean we don't have to be No. 1. But 28 ?? That's just ****ing stupid.

How are Jets fans better than us ?

How is Dallas No. 1 ?? Did Jerry pay for that **** ?

Comment

• BillsOwnAll
      My IQ Test results came back negative
      • Oct 2002

I live in mass. And pats had zero fans before 2001. I goto at least one game a year and tbat stadium is dull. They are the least knowledgable people ever. They don't tailgate good. They don't even know when to get excited during games. We'll see this surgery after bradys gone and the pats are 3-13 again. All those fans will be to busy on Sunday's to goto the games

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

Interesting how the 5 teams at the bottom were arguably the 5 worst in the league over that time span (I'd probably swap Detroit for Miami but Detroit is really low on the list). Their methodology doesn't seem to account for poor performance on the field.
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Victor7 View Post
          How are Jets fans better than us ?
          Because their tickets are a lot more expensive. It's right there in bold in Spiked's post, this site is ranking fans by their willingness to buy expensive tickets.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• Topas
            German smartass
            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
            Because their tickets are a lot more expensive. It's right there in bold in Spiked's post, this site is ranking fans by their willingness to buy expensive tickets.
            Maybe somehow they should also factor the economical situation of the region in the equation. Otherwise that does not make a lot of sense. Average income should be way higher in NY.

Comment

• CoolBreeze
              • Feb 2009

I can't stand best fan lists. They are 100% based on success on the field. So of course these rankings are no different, they're garbage. If you ask me the teams that have the best fans are the teams that have disappointed and caused misery year after year, decade after decade. But still have the fans coming back.

Maybe we'd get a good position on the most loyal fan list.

Comment

• Ed
                Dude
                • Sep 2002

The Bills just set a franchise record for season ticket sales. That's what matters. Not some fan ranking from a colleges sports marketing analytics website. The Bills have great fans that are avid, engaged, passionate, and supportive, and they don't need hard data to prove it. You just need to attend a game. If not getting raped on ticket prices and PSL's is a strike against us, then so be it. I don't think we're going to sit around and pout that we don't get to spend as much money on the NFL as other fans.

Comment

• gr8slayer
                  • Feb 2005

Cowboys should be at the top, have you seen how much season tickets are? You'd have to be an idiot to pay those prices

Comment

• better days
                    • Jan 2010

Originally posted by gr8slayer View Post
                    Cowboys should be at the top, have you seen how much season tickets are? You'd have to be an idiot to pay those prices
                    So the fans with the most discretionary income are the best fans?

Comment

• Victor7
                      • Jul 2013

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
                      I saw that. But then it pretty much says richer people are better fans because they pay more for tickets and merchandise. No wonder Dallas is No. 1

Just a very lazy attempt at categorizing fandom IMO

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Topas View Post
                        Maybe somehow they should also factor the economical situation of the region in the equation. Otherwise that does not make a lot of sense. Average income should be way higher in NY.
                        Originally posted by Victor7 View Post
                        I saw that. But then it pretty much says richer people are better fans because they pay more for tickets and merchandise. No wonder Dallas is No. 1

Just a very lazy attempt at categorizing fandom IMO
                        I'm not defending the list, just pointing out what it says about methodology. And it isn't all skewed to rich areas, because the Colts and Saints are in the Top 10 while the Seahawks and Dolphins are at the bottom.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                          Skoobasaurus-Rex
                          • Oct 2011

This isn't worth the time to sweat, win or lose and we still will be the greatest fans ever.

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
                            • Jun 2024

The good news is that our ranking will improve as ticket prices are increased dramatically over the next number of years. Supply is fixed and Demand is increasing.

Comment

• JoeMama
                              Emotion Sickness
                              • Oct 2002

Originally posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
                              For the past three years, we have tried to answer the question of which teams have the “best” fans. “Best” is a funny word that can mean a lot of things but what we are really trying to get at is what team has the most avid, engaged, passionate and supportive fans. The twist is that we are doing this using hard data, and that we are doing it in a very controlled and statistically careful fashion.

By hard data we mean data on actual fan behavior. In particular, we are focused on market outcomes like attendance, prices or revenues. A lot of marketing research focused on branding issues relies on things like consumer surveys. This is fine in some ways, but opinion surveys are also problematic. It’s one thing to just say you are a fan of a local team, and quite another to be willing to pay several thousand dollars to purchase a season ticket....

#28 Buffalo Bills

https://scholarblogs.emory.edu/esma/2015/07/08/2015-nfl-fan-equity-rankings/

I don't agree with the ranking but I wanted to give those that love Buffalo so much that they left the city long ago an opportunity to crap all over this article.

Have at it!!!
                              Oh sure, like I'm going to take football advice from Emory University!

I bet their sports analytics team is comprised of one liberal arts major and some adjunct they got on retainer from Oglethorpe.

Nice try, state of Georgia, but you're not learned at anything. Not even football.
                              Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

Working...
                              X