PDA

View Full Version : 2015 NFL FAN EQUITY RANKINGS

SpikedLemonade
07-09-2015, 05:23 PM
For the past three years (http://scholarblogs.emory.edu/esma/nfl/2014-nfl-fan-quality-analysis/), we have tried to answer the question of which teams have the “best” fans. “Best” is a funny word that can mean a lot of things but what we are really trying to get at is what team has the most avid, engaged, passionate and supportive fans. The twist is that we are doing this using hard data, and that we are doing it in a very controlled and statistically careful fashion.

By hard data we mean data on actual fan behavior. In particular, we are focused on market outcomes like attendance, prices or revenues. A lot of marketing research focused on branding issues relies on things like consumer surveys. This is fine in some ways, but opinion surveys are also problematic. It’s one thing to just say you are a fan of a local team, and quite another to be willing to pay several thousand dollars to purchase a season ticket....

#28 Buffalo Bills

https://scholarblogs.emory.edu/esma/2015/07/08/2015-nfl-fan-equity-rankings/ (https://scholarblogs.emory.edu/esma/2015/07/08/2015-nfl-fan-equity-rankings/)

I don't agree with the ranking but I wanted to give those that love Buffalo so much that they left the city long ago an opportunity to crap all over this article.

Have at it!!!

Victor7
07-09-2015, 06:15 PM
28 ???

What a total crap ranking. I mean we don't have to be No. 1. But 28 ?? That's just ****ing stupid.

How are Jets fans better than us ?

How is Dallas No. 1 ?? Did Jerry pay for that **** ?

BillsOwnAll
07-09-2015, 06:23 PM
I live in mass. And pats had zero fans before 2001. I goto at least one game a year and tbat stadium is dull. They are the least knowledgable people ever. They don't tailgate good. They don't even know when to get excited during games. We'll see this surgery after bradys gone and the pats are 3-13 again. All those fans will be to busy on Sunday's to goto the games

OpIv37
07-09-2015, 06:34 PM
Interesting how the 5 teams at the bottom were arguably the 5 worst in the league over that time span (I'd probably swap Detroit for Miami but Detroit is really low on the list). Their methodology doesn't seem to account for poor performance on the field.

IlluminatusUIUC
07-10-2015, 04:30 AM

Because their tickets are a lot more expensive. It's right there in bold in Spiked's post, this site is ranking fans by their willingness to buy expensive tickets.

Topas
07-10-2015, 06:44 AM
Because their tickets are a lot more expensive. It's right there in bold in Spiked's post, this site is ranking fans by their willingness to buy expensive tickets.

Maybe somehow they should also factor the economical situation of the region in the equation. Otherwise that does not make a lot of sense. Average income should be way higher in NY.

CoolBreeze
07-10-2015, 07:51 AM
I can't stand best fan lists. They are 100% based on success on the field. So of course these rankings are no different, they're garbage. If you ask me the teams that have the best fans are the teams that have disappointed and caused misery year after year, decade after decade. But still have the fans coming back.

Maybe we'd get a good position on the most loyal fan list.

Ed
07-10-2015, 10:32 AM
The Bills just set a franchise record for season ticket sales. That's what matters. Not some fan ranking from a colleges sports marketing analytics website. The Bills have great fans that are avid, engaged, passionate, and supportive, and they don't need hard data to prove it. You just need to attend a game. If not getting raped on ticket prices and PSL's is a strike against us, then so be it. I don't think we're going to sit around and pout that we don't get to spend as much money on the NFL as other fans.

gr8slayer
07-10-2015, 10:34 AM
Cowboys should be at the top, have you seen how much season tickets are? You'd have to be an idiot to pay those prices :bigwave:

better days
07-10-2015, 11:19 AM
Cowboys should be at the top, have you seen how much season tickets are? You'd have to be an idiot to pay those prices :bigwave:

So the fans with the most discretionary income are the best fans?

Victor7
07-10-2015, 11:52 AM

I saw that. But then it pretty much says richer people are better fans because they pay more for tickets and merchandise. No wonder Dallas is No. 1

Just a very lazy attempt at categorizing fandom IMO

IlluminatusUIUC
07-10-2015, 12:05 PM
Maybe somehow they should also factor the economical situation of the region in the equation. Otherwise that does not make a lot of sense. Average income should be way higher in NY.

I saw that. But then it pretty much says richer people are better fans because they pay more for tickets and merchandise. No wonder Dallas is No. 1

Just a very lazy attempt at categorizing fandom IMO

I'm not defending the list, just pointing out what it says about methodology. And it isn't all skewed to rich areas, because the Colts and Saints are in the Top 10 while the Seahawks and Dolphins are at the bottom.

Skooby
07-10-2015, 12:09 PM
This isn't worth the time to sweat, win or lose and we still will be the greatest fans ever.

SpikedLemonade
07-10-2015, 12:11 PM
The good news is that our ranking will improve as ticket prices are increased dramatically over the next number of years. Supply is fixed and Demand is increasing.

JoeMama
07-10-2015, 12:41 PM
For the past three years (http://scholarblogs.emory.edu/esma/nfl/2014-nfl-fan-quality-analysis/), we have tried to answer the question of which teams have the “best” fans. “Best” is a funny word that can mean a lot of things but what we are really trying to get at is what team has the most avid, engaged, passionate and supportive fans. The twist is that we are doing this using hard data, and that we are doing it in a very controlled and statistically careful fashion.

By hard data we mean data on actual fan behavior. In particular, we are focused on market outcomes like attendance, prices or revenues. A lot of marketing research focused on branding issues relies on things like consumer surveys. This is fine in some ways, but opinion surveys are also problematic. It’s one thing to just say you are a fan of a local team, and quite another to be willing to pay several thousand dollars to purchase a season ticket....

#28 Buffalo Bills

https://scholarblogs.emory.edu/esma/2015/07/08/2015-nfl-fan-equity-rankings/ (https://scholarblogs.emory.edu/esma/2015/07/08/2015-nfl-fan-equity-rankings/)

I don't agree with the ranking but I wanted to give those that love Buffalo so much that they left the city long ago an opportunity to crap all over this article.

Have at it!!!

Oh sure, like I'm going to take football advice from Emory University!

I bet their sports analytics team is comprised of one liberal arts major and some adjunct they got on retainer from Oglethorpe.

Nice try, state of Georgia, but you're not learned at anything. Not even football.

Edward Robinson
07-10-2015, 02:09 PM
The article lost me at these two points:

" The real quality of the sports brand is revealed when fans support a team through the tough times. The Packers or Steelers will sell-out the year after they go 6-10, not so much for the Jaguars."
Good point and with that being the case how does that not move the BILLS up to at least middle of the pack since we have not made the playoffs in 15 years and still sell out games some of which are in the late fall, early winter in a non dome stadium.

" The criteria used to determine best fans were: Revenue,Winning rates, Playoff participation, Population"
This sounds like the criteria to determine who are the Most Fair Weather Fans and not the BEST FANS because all those criteria for the most part is outside a fans control. So if Winning percentage is high and the team makes the playoffs consistantly, then revenue will be there since the population will be high supporting the games.

better days
07-10-2015, 02:41 PM
The good news is that our ranking will improve as ticket prices are increased dramatically over the next number of years. Supply is fixed and Demand is increasing.

LMAO. You said prices would increase dramatically as soon as the Bills were sold.

And you also said Bills fans would not/could not pay the asking price for tickets when that happened.

better days
07-11-2015, 08:05 AM

You were certain the Bills would be moved from Buffalo after they were sold.

And that while they were in Buffalo, the prices of tickets would be raised so high, fans would not/could not pay to go to games.

You are no Nostradamus Spiked!

Not only will the Bills remain in Buffalo, but the Buffalo Bills fans just set a new record for season ticket sales.

Totally opposite from your predictions.

And because Pegula also owns the Sabres, I have no doubt Pegula will want to leave some discretionary money in fans pockets to buy Sabres tickets as well as Bills tickets, so I have no doubt he will not be raising prices

higher than necessary.

stuckincincy
07-11-2015, 03:54 PM
28 ???

What a total crap ranking. I mean we don't have to be No. 1. But 28 ?? That's just ****ing stupid.

How is Dallas No. 1 ?? Did Jerry pay for that **** ?

Ol' Jer is a marketing genius. His 'Boys even got a play in Toby Keith's Trailerhood" video...it's a hoot. Here ts is - sorta NSFW, depending where you work. :beer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvyTY_oYR_c

stuckincincy
07-11-2015, 08:11 PM
Try also, Keith's "Red Solo Cup" video. Another rip...lovely babes, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKZqGJONH68

:kid:

Ingtar33
07-12-2015, 02:25 PM
It's a ranking of the fans who SPEND the most on the team. Buffalo is too small and poor a market to rank in that type of list.

the teams with the worst fans would be the ones that rank low on that list which are located in an affluent and populous area. For example, MIAMI.

better days
07-13-2015, 06:31 AM
It's a ranking of the fans who SPEND the most on the team. Buffalo is too small and poor a market to rank in that type of list.

the teams with the worst fans would be the ones that rank low on that list which are located in an affluent and populous area. For example, MIAMI.

Fans buy tickets in Miami, they just don't use them to go to the games.

And the AFFLUENT are called the 1% for a reason. There are more POOR people in the Miami area than there are than in WNY.

trapezeus
07-14-2015, 03:59 PM

i don't get why you love pushing this story all the time like its true.

tickets will go up when the new stadium is built. but please, keep being the dumbest poster on the board.

CleveSteve
07-15-2015, 08:11 AM
This is laughable. The Chiefs, Raiders, and Browns all in the bottom five for fans? Well-behind San Diego, Tampa, and Cincinnati? What a clown show.

better days
07-15-2015, 08:20 AM
i don't get why you love pushing this story all the time like its true.

tickets will go up when the new stadium is built. but please, keep being the dumbest poster on the board.

Spiked WANTS it to be true.

He is still mad the Bills were not moved.

Historian
07-17-2015, 08:57 AM
Dumb.