PDA

View Full Version : Wayne Hunter gone already.

tomz
07-21-2015, 04:06 PM
The Bills released Wayne Hunter. So all the doomsayers can move on.

swiper
07-21-2015, 04:30 PM
LOL. Where are those posters who, just weeks ago, were criticizing Ryan for loading the roster with his yes-man players?

I wonder what they have planned for that roster spot.

tomz
07-21-2015, 04:43 PM
LOL. Where are those posters who, just weeks ago, were criticizing Ryan for loading the roster with his yes-man players?

indeed. Do you think this is a vote of confidence for the youngsters?

YardRat
07-21-2015, 06:33 PM
Good. Waste of time and energy.

feldspar
07-21-2015, 06:37 PM
Certain people can still cry about John Conner, Matthew Mulligan and Matt Simms.

Oh, the former Jets players that are over-loading the Bills roster!

YardRat
07-21-2015, 06:42 PM
People would probably ***** a lot less if the ex-Jets that were brought in actually had a chance at contributing or starting, as opposed to third-team-scrub-hamburger-flippers.

Wayne Hunter makes Erik Pears look good. Yes, he's that bad.

Mace
07-21-2015, 08:23 PM
The Bills released Wayne Hunter. So all the doomsayers can move on.

Huge win for obvious. Huge loss if my dumb couch coach/gm butt knew it so clearly before they did.

"Wayne, welcome to the Bills, we need your type and you know I like you, and I'll talk you up with the press."

"Wayne, haha, get out of here. You're useless, I benched you in NY, traded you, got you back now, and I'm kicking you to the curb again after a couple weeks of nothing much else happening. And you fell for it. You love me, I love you. Now get out."

Good to see they're doing their homework with some certainty and Ryan has a sharp desperate vision of his roster prospects.

trapezeus
07-22-2015, 06:43 AM
this probably has more to it than "we think he's great fit" and then "he's no good."

i'm guessing there is a medical situation where maybe ryan was giving a guy he liked one last chance, and once it was obvious to hunter that the game passed him by, he could leave knowing he couldn't play.

inside all these numbers there are people behind it.

Mahdi
07-22-2015, 06:51 AM
Sign Dwight Freeney.

Good player still and great insurance if Hughes or Williams go down.

swiper
07-22-2015, 06:59 AM
Cutting the guy when they did (no real pressure to do it), makes you think that another move (an addition) is coming that they needed a spot for.

It's not as if they are in the middle of training camp and there are signs that Kuoandijo has suddenly become a monster or like that.

OLDSRIP
07-22-2015, 07:07 AM
I heard he kept spinning around and falling down when Mario walked past him in the locker room.

swiper
07-22-2015, 07:22 AM
ROFL

Pinkerton Security
07-22-2015, 08:16 AM
Sign Dwight Freeney.

Good player still and great insurance if Hughes or Williams go down.

IMO too expensive for what he is...although if its just a 1 year deal there isnt any real risk.

Mr. Miyagi
07-22-2015, 08:23 AM
Huge win for obvious. Huge loss if my dumb couch coach/gm butt knew it so clearly before they did.

"Wayne, welcome to the Bills, we need your type and you know I like you, and I'll talk you up with the press."

"Wayne, haha, get out of here. You're useless, I benched you in NY, traded you, got you back now, and I'm kicking you to the curb again after a couple weeks of nothing much else happening. And you fell for it. You love me, I love you. Now get out."

Good to see they're doing their homework with some certainty and Ryan has a sharp desperate vision of his roster prospects.
It's more like Hunter is a friend of Rex, Hunter has been jobless and no income, so Rex did him a favor to bring him in for a few weeks just to get him some paychecks, with no real intention to keep in on the roster. It's a win-win for everyone.

Pinkerton Security
07-22-2015, 09:02 AM
It's more like Hunter is a friend of Rex, Hunter has been jobless and no income, so Rex did him a favor to bring him in for a few weeks just to get him some paychecks, with no real intention to keep in on the roster. It's a win-win for everyone.

you might be right, but I wonder how much you get paid for being on the roster for 2 weeks, maybe I should ingratiate myself to Rex in some way...maybe show him my feet?

Ed
07-22-2015, 09:10 AM
I don't think Hunter got paid anything unless they gave him a small signing bonus, but I doubt it. Players only get paychecks during the season. They get one paycheck per week for 17 weeks. That's why so many players run into money problems during the off-season, because they don't budget or save for all the months that they're not receiving any income.

trapezeus
07-22-2015, 10:24 AM
you might be right, but I wonder how much you get paid for being on the roster for 2 weeks, maybe I should ingratiate myself to Rex in some way...maybe show him my feet?
ultimately rex hsa 52 spots and his performance is based on wins. you can love a guy, but if he can't perform on the field to help you, you are carrying a lot of deadweight.

Maybe you bring him in, have the owner see how hard he tries, how good he is in the film room etc and see if that opens a door to the coaching staff to some degree. its a tiny paycheck, but you are still in the NFL and you are part of a strong coaching tree. you have a chance to move up

who knows how it works, but i can't help but think you want to see guys succeed and you want to tell certain guys that they don't hvae it anymore, but that they should consider the next stop in the nfl career.

SpikedLemonade
07-22-2015, 10:54 AM
I'm glad he is gone.

justasportsfan
07-22-2015, 11:16 AM

Geno Smith!

Mr. Miyagi
07-22-2015, 11:18 AM
I don't think Hunter got paid anything unless they gave him a small signing bonus, but I doubt it. Players only get paychecks during the season. They get one paycheck per week for 17 weeks. That's why so many players run into money problems during the off-season, because they don't budget or save for all the months that they're not receiving any income.
I disagree. No way he showed up for camp for weeks with zero pay.

Bill Cody
07-22-2015, 11:23 AM
Wayne we hardly knew ya

IlluminatusUIUC
07-22-2015, 11:23 AM

What camp? The last mandatory practice day was June 18 and TC doesn't open until July 31. Hunter was signed from July 1 to July 21, there were no practices in that time. I'm not even sure he's allowed to work out in the Bills facility during that time.

Ed
07-22-2015, 11:57 AM
Unless he got a bonus he didn't get paid. You don't get paychecks for attending OTA's. Mini-camps and tryouts are just opportunities to try and make a team. You don't get a game check though, until they actually start playing games. Most players, even UDFA's, usually at least get a small signing bonus, but if they end up getting cut before the season they don't see a dime of their base salary.

Ed
07-22-2015, 12:01 PM
According to this article it was Wayne Hunter's decision to retire and that's the reason why he was released. Maybe he didn't like his chances of making the team and didn't want to go through another TC just to get cut.

The Buffalo Bills released offensive tackle Wayne Hunter on Tuesday, however according to Mike Rodak of ESPN, it was his decision. Additionally, Hunter has decided to call it a career and retire, as his body wasn't good enough to play another season. He signed a one-year, $870,000 contract with the Bills just a few weeks ago.
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/bills-release-ot-wayne-hunter-lineman-calls-it-a-career-072215

GingerP
07-22-2015, 06:55 PM
Unless he got a bonus he didn't get paid.

He didn't get a bonus. All veteran players get a per-diem rate for the offseason program, that goes through minicamp. Not sure how many of the offseason workout days Hunter attended, but the veteran rate works out to $1,800 weekly for the 2015-2016 seasons (rookie rate is $1,000 per week). They are also furnished meals.

Mace
07-22-2015, 07:26 PM

You're probably right as long as Pegula doesn't mind paying them and it's probably small potatoes, but this late in the offseason I'm running out of material and have to jump in every time something snarky comes to me. Oh sure, it would be easy to cruise through to preseason with couple sentence comments but I can't help venting more hot air when I create so much of it for myself.

better days
07-22-2015, 09:55 PM
You're probably right as long as Pegula doesn't mind paying them and it's probably small potatoes, but this late in the offseason I'm running out of material and have to jump in every time something snarky comes to me. Oh sure, it would be easy to cruise through to preseason with couple sentence comments but I can't help venting more hot air when I create so much of it for myself.

And player expenses are a tax write off for NFL owners.

Paying Hunter a few dollars may save Pegula a few dollars in taxes.

HHURRICANE
07-23-2015, 04:28 AM
This guy was supposed to be depth during camp. Not sure why this is such a big deal. From what I read he didn't have it physically to hang in camp. Everybody agreed to part ways.

End of story.

JoeMama
07-23-2015, 05:29 AM
Wayne, we hardly knew ye!