Who's better- Travis Henry or Thurman Thomas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Judge
    • Aug 2002

Who's better- Travis Henry or Thurman Thomas?

Wys posted on another thread that he considers Travis Henry to be a better RB than Thurman was. Does anyone agree with him?

Thurman could pound out the tough yards, had enough speed to break some long runs (including an 80-yarder for a TD against New England in 1990, that I recall off the top of my head), and was a sure-handed receiving threat.

What can Travis do that Thurman couldn't?

Does Henry measure up in any way at all to Thurman as an RB? I don't see it. Sure he had some nice numbers last year, but I can't see putting Henry in that caliber company.
    Argue like hell. Keep it clean. And when it's over, shake hands and root for our team!
  • LtBillsFan66
    • Jul 2002

Not even close. From years of watching and playing football I can tell you that Thurman was much better. I can not quantify that claim however.

Comment

• Ð
      1-800-SAD-GOAT
      • Jul 2002

It's too early to tell. Givee him another season of starts and we'll see the true TH.

Comment

• Wys Guy
        Drew and Sam stole all my hair
        • Jul 2002

Re: Who's better- Travis Henry or Thurman Thomas?

Originally posted by Judge
        Wys posted on another thread that he considers Travis Henry to be a better RB than Thurman was. Does anyone agree with him?

Thurman could pound out the tough yards, had enough speed to break some long runs (including an 80-yarder for a TD against New England in 1990, that I recall off the top of my head), and was a sure-handed receiving threat.

What can Travis do that Thurman couldn't?

Does Henry measure up in any way at all to Thurman as an RB? I don't see it. Sure he had some nice numbers last year, but I can't see putting Henry in that caliber company.
        You just can't get anything right, can ya there Judge!

I believe what I said WAS:

That Henry was likely the better rusher (that means a RB who "runs" the ball Judge! just so you know) at this point in his brief career.

I also said that as an all-around RB, (that's a RB ("running back") who does ALL things that RBs do) Thurman was likely better, at least until we see how good Henry can be as a consistent and regular pass-catcher out of the backfield!

See the difference there Judge!

As support, I cited the following evidence drawn from the following sites:

I pointed out that, (NOT made up facts) in his first two seasons, Thurman ran for a total of:

2,125 yards but only 8 TDs and that:

Henry ran for, again, in his first two seasons:

2,167 yards and 17 TDs, once w/ a far worse situation than Thurman ever faced last season w/ a crap OL, no QB, etc.

Also, agree that Thurman, at least as it now stands, had a better OL more than marginally, than Henry has. MW and Jennings may match, but the interior line was clearly stronger back then.

If you notice as well, my comments on the "all around RB" are supported by the notion that Thurman had 6 receiving TDs in his first two seasons to Henry's 1.

Henry's high for the first two seasons best Thurman's best in his first two seasons by nearly 200 yards. Rushing that is Judge! NOT receiving or total yards. Is that clear?

Just checking...

Now, your question was:

"What can Travis do that Thurman couldn't?

Does Henry measure up in any way at all to Thurman as an RB?"

As I see it, based on the games that I've watched which is just about every one of them w/ Henry, Henry bursts UTM better. Thurman had better moves IMO however.

Does Henry measure up in any way?

Don't the stats support that he may in fact be a better rusher?

And no, catching passes is not rushing there Judge!

I think he is. In only his second season, he's already bested all of Thomas' best seasons except for one, which I'm sure he'll best this season.

He bested Thurman's best total and rushing season TD marks!!!

Doesn't that "measure up" in your eyes?

It's no wonder you challenge me on the things I say about Bledsoe!
        Replace Donahoe with Modrak and fire the entire coaching staff!

Then let's go to Disneyworld!

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• LtBillsFan66
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ð
          It's too early to tell. Givee him another season of starts and we'll see the true TH.
          I agree. Maybe Henry has yet to fully develop. Although from what I see, Henry will never be the receiving threat Thomas was.

Comment

• NC-BILLS44
            • Jul 2002

Not even close. TH has to prove himself for at least 3 more seasons. If he can stay at a high level for that amount of time, while learning to catch better and pick up blitzes, then we can talk about Henry being in same universe as Thurman. Let's not forget how many years Thurman performed at a Pro Bowl level, including an MVP season. TH had one good year. A very good year at that, but consistency is the key. IMHO, TH has the talent, but let's see if he can keep doing it before we judge if he's better than Thurman.

Comment

• Judge
              • Aug 2002

Stats don't tell everything. That's where Wys and I disagree. I reject on a fundamental level the notion that objective statistics can explain all of football.

Henry's stats through 2 years are better than Thurman's. Henry has far less speed than Thurman, who wasn't very fast.

Henry's OK, has fumbilitis. Thurman by year #3 was the entrenched starter for years to come. Henry has to show it this year or face the McGahee bump.
              Argue like hell. Keep it clean. And when it's over, shake hands and root for our team!

Comment

• Wys Guy
                • Jul 2002

It's funny;

Some of you challenge me on the way I respond to some posters, but I find it disturbing yet hilarious that Judge continually misrepresents my statements and bills what I didn't say exactly, usually to try and denigrate me.

In this particular case, Judge would have gotten a much more cordial response from me if he had actually said what I really did say, or simply quote me.

Instead, in order to prevent mob-mentality misperceptions, I have to counter post in order to set the record straight.

I'm much more agreeable when people answer questions when asked if they opt to engage in debate, deal in facts and not untruths or errant perceptions, and when they don't attempt to make me out to be some sort of loser.

:)

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Wys Guy
                  • Jul 2002

Stats don't tell everything. That's where Wys and I disagree. I reject on a fundamental level the notion that objective statistics can explain all of football.

Henry's stats through 2 years are better than Thurman's. Henry has far less speed than Thurman, who wasn't very fast.

Henry's OK, has fumbilitis. Thurman by year #3 was the entrenched starter for years to come. Henry has to show it this year or face the McGahee bump.
                  Oh, I understand Judge!

Now, on to Drew where yardage and attempts are the "end-all-to-be-all" in stats...

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                    • May 2003

We'll have to see more of Henry. Thurman was a great pass catcher and blocker besides being a fine runner. Henry will have to become a more rounded player to match Thurm - which he may never have a chance to do in Buffalo with McGahee waiting in the wings.
                    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Judge
                      • Aug 2002

Originally posted by Wys Guy

Oh, I understand Judge!

Now, on to Drew where yardage and attempts are the "end-all-to-be-all" in stats...

Talk about misquoting and making false claims- you're the king! You've constantly misquoted me with things I never said. Sorry, but you've been exposed for what you are.

Comment

• Rude American
                        EE is my American Idol
                        • Jul 2002

As of rightnow, Travis is better. Thurman is far too old to play football.
                        You want that hamburger on bun?

Comment

• TypicalBill
                          • Sep 2002

For the latest Bills news, visit the front page www.billszone.com

Comment

• Wys Guy
                            • Jul 2002

BTW, it appears to me that you're using some "very seasoned" seasons of Thurman's behind one of the best OLs to ever play in the NFL to contrast to Henry.

Again, and factually, Henry's season last year was better by far than either of Thurman's first two years!

Henry had almost 200 more yards on only 27 more carries, he had over twice the rushing TDs, and a better YPC average, all, with a lesser OL than Thurman had.

What does that mean to you?

Just asking, but I don't see how it means that Thurman was better.

BTW, in terms of total touches in his second season, Henry had 368 total touches for 1,768 total yards, and 13 total TDs.

Thurman, in his second season had 358 touches, 1,913 total yards, and 12 TDs.

When you consider that much more of Henry's yards were rushing, I think they're very comparable at worst.

I'd personally rather have a strong rusher since rushing can help you control the game better. A dual type Thurman/Priest Holmes type is best, but they aren't always readily obtainable.

Besides, I don't think Thurman was as good overall as Holmes is.

But I'll take a stronger rusher any day as long as he has some receiving capability at all, which Henry clearly has.

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Wys Guy
                              • Jul 2002

Talk about misquoting and making false claims- you're the king! You've constantly misquoted me with things I never said. Sorry, but you've been exposed for what you are.
                              QUICK!!!

Where's my violin...

Besides, is there a whole lot of factual information that you've given me to misrepresent...?

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X