PDA

View Full Version : BN: Maybin Finds Peace Through Art - Tim Graham

DraftBoy
07-26-2015, 08:17 AM
http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/07/26/aaron-maybin-a-first-round-draft-pick-for-bills-in-2009-finds-peace-through-art/

BALTIMORE – There comes a time in Aaron Maybin’s artistic process when he needs to scrutinize his canvas.In a cluttered, paint-splattered studio – on the first floor of his three-story row house in the city’s gentrified Canton neighborhood – Maybin will pace this way and that. He will squint, **** his head, even climb halfway up the staircase in search of a fresh perspective.

Right around then, Maybin will take a deep draw of marijuana from a Black & Mild cigar or toke from one of the bongs scattered about.

“When I light one up,” Maybin said, “I’m usually figuring out what my next move is. It helps you see your vision from a different angle.”

Maybin is happy when he’s vibing. He can feel creative energy pulsing through his body. His senses crackle.

He’s guided by emotions. They dictate his actions, helping him create provocative art.

All that’s conveyed springs from within him, for him. Immersed in his art, Maybin is the master of his world, not a servant in somebody else’s. He cares not a driblet what anyone thinks or expects.

What a fantastically written article by Tim Graham. He tells the other side of being a NFL first round pick that most fans don't understand or never get a chance to see. It's not all lamborghinis and popping bottels at the club. Good for Aaron Maybin and his ability to find another path to success.

Also a number of parts of this article do not shine the light kindly on the Bills previous administration. Piss poor contract negotiating tactics, a completely crap team mentality under Jauron, and a complete pardon for everybody's favorite whipping boy, Russ Brandon, on it not being his decision to take Maybin.

Lots of good, and some not good, stuff in this article.

JoeMama
07-26-2015, 08:23 AM
Good for Maybin.

Spending time creating something beautiful is a worthwhile pursuit. And if smoking a little helps him visualize what he's looking to create, more power to him.

I like the kid. It's not his fault OBD drafted him so far beyond where he should have been drafted.

Albany,n.y.
07-26-2015, 09:48 AM
He's too stoned at home to make it to the club.

scartown
07-26-2015, 12:19 PM
On the Brandon note, I thought it was well known it was Jaurons call to draft Maybin.

bleve
07-26-2015, 12:20 PM
Of course it was Ralph Wilson who hired Marv as a GM, who in turn hired Dick Jauron, who in turn selected Maybin.

Failure was ubiquitous. I'm glad that is hopefully behind us.

As for Maybin, so much of the NFL culture is unproductive narcissism. I commend Aaron for his help in funding arts programs for public schools, and his attempt at making positive contributions to society.

To be honest though, his art is a crappy as his football playing. :-)

cookie G
07-26-2015, 06:40 PM
His feelings towards the bills...

they were cheap, and if they weren't so cheap I could have stolen millions more from them than the millions I did.

..and they made ME out to be the bad guy!!

He should have went into banking.

Mace
07-26-2015, 06:51 PM
Interesting thing I saw in the article, was that his metabolism kept him from maintaining weight gain. I remember arguing on other boards that he wouldn't maintain weight, and now I get it that he couldn't. He was already doomed as an NFL player.

I dunno, some of his art is interesting. If he has any gripes about the Bills, doesn't matter, that's over and done and so is the organization he dealt with.

I hope it works out for him, disliked him as a player not as a person, he was said to be a workout warrior and tried like anything. The stupidity of picking him is still on Jauron to me. I'm not upset at anyone lipping off about that version of the organization, they were woeful.

trapezeus
07-27-2015, 07:04 AM
good article.

it does put things into perspective. the bills canned answers reak of brandon regarding the contract negotiations and the loss of his son. How hard is it to say something more substantive? and it was a different era where the bottom line was all that mattered to the 2008-2011 bills. This was something we suspected at the time, saw with CJ's holdout, and are confirming with someone who was actually part of the process.

How many of us have had jobs where we weren't supported by management? and every time you thought you were doing your part, you got screwed over? yeah, you probably bailed at some point of performing well. it definitely happened to me at one point in my career.

the schobel bit is crazy. and maybin didn't say, "he was favored." That would have been the more petulant and self pitied answer. he said that it was 11 men in it for themselves. and that strikes me as pretty telling and somewhat obvious of that team through 2011. the fact they didn't play as a unit and just had a general air of not caring was a big gripe at the time.

I still think Maybin was a terrible pick, but he doesn't come off like a diva that we all had him pegged to be. and congrats to him to taking care of his family, saving his money and starting another path for his life.

justasportsfan
07-27-2015, 08:59 AM
and a complete pardon for everybody's favorite whipping boy, Russ Brandon, on it not being his decision to take Maybin.

some people needed a scapegoat. Russ is easy target.

trapezeus
07-27-2015, 10:45 AM
some people needed a scapegoat. Russ is easy target.

so he doesn't make the maybin pick, knows its jauron who botched a bunch of first rounders, but let me guess he also didn't extend jauron and wasn't behind the force us more jauron when the fan base was over it.

it's never the leader's fault when you look at brandon, justa. are you Justa Brandon? your defense of him is hilarious. and always consistent.

Victor7
07-27-2015, 11:57 AM
Lots of excuse making there ...

The scheme change ...
His metabolism didn't let him build up ...
He was unfinished when he got here and left the same ...

Blah blah blah

Sure its not his fault he was erroneously drafted that high by the absolute failure of a man that is Dick Jauron. But. Maybin was an ass from day one. He held out, the rap song, his attitude in training camp. Remember E. Wood putting him in his place ? Whose side you on Wood or Maybin? Guy was a bonafide a$$hole of the tallest order. Very easy to complain and blame everyone else a few years later with all those undeserved dollars in the bank. He never had any issues cashing those huh ?

Oh and his art is just as bad as his play. FU Maybin

bf1
07-27-2015, 02:43 PM
Maybin should be a sculptor.

He's produced one bust already.

DynaPaul
07-27-2015, 04:31 PM
The two girls he knocked up went into labor on the same day. Another thankless player who can't keep his dick in his pants and blames everyone else for his failures.

Thurmal
07-27-2015, 09:24 PM
I enjoyed his "$40 Million Slave" painting. If being a slave means that I can get a $25 million contract despite being literally the worst performing employee in my company's history, then shackle my ass up.