PDA

View Full Version : QB is already known at OBD!!

HHURRICANE
07-26-2015, 09:40 AM
Obviously the Bills haven't come out and announced the starter but they already know who it is.

After reporters tried to dump praise on EJ after the conclusion of OTA's Rex almost scoffed and said the film tells the tail of what they are trying to accomplish.

Kyle Williams was on Sirius and basically excused Cassel's performance and said the defense was instructed to "throw everything at the offense" in support of the hosts contention that Cassel would be the starter.

Roman and Ryan eluded in the spring that the starter would be known when camp started. Our season starts in 45 days. There is no competition. This comes down to who can run the offense and that's the vet.

Ryan wants to win and with the exception of Fred Jackson's praise for EJ he's on an island.

Matt Cassel is this starter.

JoeMama
07-26-2015, 09:43 AM
Interesting theory.

But a lot can change in 49 days.

If Cassel looks bad in the preseason games, they'll have no choice but to roll the dice with EJ or Tyrod, if one of them (or both) perform better.

And I'm saying this hypothetically under the pretense your theory is correct.

I think the jury's still out on that.

Albany,n.y.
07-26-2015, 09:46 AM
After about 10 days of watching Cassel, Terry Pegula is going to take Whaley into the vault & show him a ton of money. Then he's going to tell Whaley that some of that money better disappear by next season & land in Philip Rivers' pockets.

JoeMama
07-26-2015, 09:49 AM
After about 10 days of watching Cassel, Terry Pegula is going to take Whaley into the vault & show him a ton of money. Then he's going to tell Whaley that some of that money better disappear by next season & land in Philip Rivers' pockets.

Oh my God yes, I'd lose my ****!

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q263/JoeMama025/Al-bundy-ed-oneill-animated-gif-2_zps6faad920.gif (http://s138.photobucket.com/user/JoeMama025/media/Al-bundy-ed-oneill-animated-gif-2_zps6faad920.gif.html)

JoeMama
07-26-2015, 09:51 AM
In fact, **** the 2016 presidential election.

Philip Rivers 2016! http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q263/JoeMama025/deal_zpsca0a1ba2.gif (http://s138.photobucket.com/user/JoeMama025/media/deal_zpsca0a1ba2.gif.html)

DraftBoy
07-26-2015, 09:57 AM
I imagine the Bills have a favorite but there is no way they know beyond a shadow of a doubt who the starter is as of today. I think most would favor Cassell but hope Manuel finally has it click.

Skooby
07-26-2015, 12:08 PM
I'm voting for Taylor because I don't know any better.

Goobylal
07-26-2015, 12:41 PM
Cassel offers no upside. Going with him would say nothing has really changed.

BillsImpossible
07-26-2015, 01:24 PM
According the multiple media reports, Cassel did not do very well in OTA's.

Cassel is not a good fit for Greg Roman's offense.

Roman and Rex have one thing in common. They both love to run to football.

Rex likes running backs. Roman likes running quarterbacks.

Tyrod Taylor is the fastest quarterback in the NFL.

Rex is the 1, Roman is the 2, isn't the 3 obvious?

BillsImpossible
07-26-2015, 01:49 PM
Matt Cassel reminds me of the 2015 Bills version of Kevin Kolb.

Cassel is like trying to place a square peg in a rubber mat with round holes.

He's the last QB I want starting on opening day.

Skooby
07-26-2015, 02:36 PM
Matt Cassel reminds me of the 2015 Bills version of Kevin Kolb.

Cassel is like trying to place a square peg in a rubber mat with round holes.

He's the last QB I want starting on opening day.
LOL,funny.

notacon
07-26-2015, 03:17 PM
If Cassel is supposedly already been penciled in as the starter, the Bills are in worse shape than I thought.

I have zero faith in Cassel. He's a has-been that was not very good even at his best.

SpikedLemonade
07-26-2015, 03:21 PM
If Cassel is supposedly already been penciled in as the starter, the Bills are in worse shape than I thought.

I have zero faith in Cassel. He's a has-been that was not very good even at his best.

If a decision is made to start Cassel, then you have already made a decision that EJ is not good enough and he should be cut before the start of next year. I just don't want to go into next year again thinking EJ may be the answer with another bandaid solution like Cassel or Kolb.

mead107
07-26-2015, 04:48 PM
EJ will start

Mace
07-26-2015, 06:07 PM
Going into camp they can't afford to know who the starter already is among these guys or the season and the Ryan age of maybe is already over.

BertSquirtgum
07-26-2015, 07:29 PM
Obviously the Bills haven't come out and announced the starter but they already know who it is.

After reporters tried to dump praise on EJ after the conclusion of OTA's Rex almost scoffed and said the film tells the tail of what they are trying to accomplish.

Kyle Williams was on Sirius and basically excused Cassel's performance and said the defense was instructed to "throw everything at the offense" in support of the hosts contention that Cassel would be the starter.

Roman and Ryan eluded in the spring that the starter would be known when camp started. Our season starts in 45 days. There is no competition. This comes down to who can run the offense and that's the vet.

Ryan wants to win and with the exception of Fred Jackson's praise for EJ he's on an island.

No

HHURRICANE
07-26-2015, 07:40 PM
I know everyone wants the athletic 1st round pick with some upside to win the job.....

I love Bryce Brown and can't understand why he's behind Dixon. But he's getting cut for fumbitis and EJ is getting benched because he can't run the offense. Plain and simple.

Cassel will be the starter.

better days
07-26-2015, 08:55 PM
I know everyone wants the athletic 1st round pick with some upside to win the job.....

I love Bryce Brown and can't understand why he's behind Dixon. But he's getting cut for fumbitis and EJ is getting benched because he can't run the offense. Plain and simple.

The only impact I can remember Brown making since joining the Bills is to help them lose a game.

Boobie is not beast mode, but he is the closest thing to a beast on the Bills.

I want Boobie over Brown without question.

trapezeus
07-27-2015, 07:09 AM
just no way its true that they have it figured out.
Cassel didn't look good and only makes sense if you think this is the year for the superbowl and that they can manage a game well enough week to week.

the bills still haven't been to the playoffs. So its an absurd gamble. yes, cassel may get you to the playoffs, but they aren't going any further. and once they are out, do you wnat to go into next year with cassel again? That should scare the crap out of everyone.

Manuel/tyrod is going to have to get it. if neither of them don't, the great defense era of the bills will close with yet another losing team.

HHURRICANE
07-27-2015, 11:28 AM
just no way its true that they have it figured out.
Cassel didn't look good and only makes sense if you think this is the year for the superbowl and that they can manage a game well enough week to week.

the bills still haven't been to the playoffs. So its an absurd gamble. yes, cassel may get you to the playoffs, but they aren't going any further. and once they are out, do you wnat to go into next year with cassel again? That should scare the crap out of everyone.

Manuel/tyrod is going to have to get it. if neither of them don't, the great defense era of the bills will close with yet another losing team.

I'm not disagreeing with anything your saying here. Chris Brown was on Sirrius this AM and basically said they need mediocre play at QB. The annoucers literally said "c-" play to make the playoffs with this roster.

That's the way this team is thinking.

The QB has to manage the offense and not make critical mistakes. This is exactly why Cassel wins the job. The annoucers were saying that Tyrod has a better chance of starting than EJ.

Victor7
07-27-2015, 11:45 AM
Its gonna be Cassel folks. Make your peace with it.

All the Bills need is a guy that can complete a few throws and not make many mistakes. That is NOT the definition of EJ Manuel who can't complete a pass to save his inaccurate life.

Taylor is a 3rd stringer.

Cassel is the only experienced one of the 3. He's gonna get the gig.

better days
07-27-2015, 11:53 AM

All the Bills need is a guy that can complete a few throws and not make many mistakes. That is NOT the definition of EJ Manuel who can't complete a pass to save his inaccurate life.

Well Cassel does have a lot of experience at LOSING. Winning, not so much.

All the EJ HATERS better be prepared to watch him start for the Bills.

The King
07-27-2015, 11:56 AM
Didnt Roman save the career of Alex Smith?

Sure he's done some good things with Kap, but what he did with Smith is probably the most impressive.

Victor7
07-27-2015, 12:05 PM

Taylor's never started and EJ isn't much of a winner either.

Its a matter of experience of which Cassel has the most.

better days
07-27-2015, 12:16 PM

Cassel is also the oldest by far, so if he does win the job, he will be a stopgap at best.

Bills fans should hope EJ or Tyrod win the job over Cassel because if they are good enough to do so, the Bills could have a decent QB for much longer than if it is Cassel.

Cassel not only did not separate himself from EJ & Tyrod, in OTA's, reports from most of the Media is that EJ outplayed both Cassel & Tyrod.

Victor7
07-27-2015, 12:33 PM
Cassel is also the oldest by far, so if he does win the job, he will be a stopgap at best.

Agreed. But right now a stop gap is all we can hope for.

Bills fans should hope EJ or Tyrod win the job over Cassel because if they are good enough to do so, the Bills could have a decent QB for much longer than if it is Cassel.

I already know EJ doens't have what it takes. Taylor is a 3rd stringer at best.

Cassel not only did not separate himself from EJ & Tyrod, in OTA's, reports from most of the Media is that EJ outplayed both Cassel & Tyrod.

Most of the stuff I read said that all 3 were pathetic beyond words. EJ included. Thus the equality remains and the most experienced guy will start. Cassel.

Bill Cody
07-27-2015, 12:52 PM

I think we're still a ways away from this

Dr. Lecter
07-27-2015, 12:52 PM
If they already knew who the starter is, I don't think they would be playing around with rep splitting

Bill Cody
07-27-2015, 12:54 PM

By this logic all our draft choices are doomed

justasportsfan
07-27-2015, 01:04 PM
I'll pulling for EJ to be honest because if he finally gets it, the ceiling is very high.

Victor7
07-27-2015, 05:05 PM
By this logic all our draft choices are doomed

None of our draft choices are QB's and few of them are slated to start. Very different scenario. Taylor is not a rookie either if that's what you alluded too

ublinkwescore
07-27-2015, 07:00 PM
I'll pulling for EJ to be honest because if he finally gets it, the ceiling is very high.

and it's not with Taylor?

WagonCircler
07-27-2015, 09:23 PM
and it's not with Taylor?

It's not for any of the three. How the hell you go into a season with a sack full of manure at the most important position on the field is beyond comprehension.

better days
07-28-2015, 07:30 AM
It's not for any of the three. How the hell you go into a season with a sack full of manure at the most important position on the field is beyond comprehension.

Who would you have had them get to compete for the QB job?

jamze132
07-29-2015, 10:15 AM

I think it was a given that Cassel was penciled in when we got him.

JoeMama
07-29-2015, 10:20 AM

To be fair he led the Pats to 11-5 in 2008.

And the Chiefs to 10-6 in 2010.

He's not completely without success.

Let's not represent this inaccurately.

MillsapsBillsFan
07-29-2015, 10:23 AM
I think it was a given that Cassel was penciled in when we got him.

I don't think that's true at all. Cassel was brought into camp so they had at least one veteran in case no one else showed anything. You know what you get with Cassel, and its not great. He's no different than Orton was last year, an emergency fix. I don't think that he's penciled in at all.

Tyrod is a complete unknown, but he wasn't very good in college so im not optimistic. EJ admittedly hasn't been very good in his action,but hes who I want to win out. Everyone wants to throw EJ away, but he hasn't even had a chance to play 16 games yet. He has to be given a chance.

better days
07-29-2015, 12:20 PM

I am not being inaccurate.

I did not say Cassel had no success.

He has had VERY LITTLE success & a LOT of losing.

JoeMama
07-29-2015, 12:41 PM
I am not being inaccurate.

I did not say Cassel had no success.

He has had VERY LITTLE success & a LOT of losing.

Your quote, not mine, homeboy. And that's pretty misleading.

I know you prefer EJ and that's great. I'm on the same page as you in terms of hoping he can turn his career around.

But trashing Cassel's body of work doesn't make EJ look any better, so I don't see why you feel the need to do it. You did the same thing to Kyle Orton last season and he actually HAS a career winning record. So you're all over the place here.

The competition is still wide open. Be patient, young gun.

swiper
07-29-2015, 03:39 PM
Agreed. But right now a stop gap is all we can hope for.

I already know EJ doens't have what it takes. Taylor is a 3rd stringer at best.

Most of the stuff I read said that all 3 were pathetic beyond words. EJ included. Thus the equality remains and the most experienced guy will start. Cassel.

You're wasting your breath trying to reason with a blind homer. It's really low-hanging fruit.

swiper
07-29-2015, 03:42 PM

You're trying to reason with a little whiny girl who is nothing but a lowly homer. The Bills TRADED for Cassel. Clearly they have hopes he wins the battle out-right.

better days
07-29-2015, 04:08 PM
You're trying to reason with a little whiny girl who is nothing but a lowly homer. The Bills TRADED for Cassel. Clearly they have hopes he wins the battle out-right.

LMAO at the TROLL.

The Bills drafted EJ in the FIRST RND. but they would rather an OLD MEDIOCRE QB they traded LOW RND picks for wins the job? IDIOT TROLL.

Dr. Lecter
07-29-2015, 04:12 PM

They also did not extend his deal, which tells me that they aren't sure yet and are leaving themselves and easy out if he does not win the battle.

sudzy
07-29-2015, 04:12 PM
The Bills drafted EJ in the FIRST RND.

That was another owner.... another GM (as fans that want to deflect blame from Whaley will claim).... another coach. The days of anyone owing EJ anything because he was a 1st round pick are gone.

better days
07-29-2015, 04:26 PM
That was another owner.... another GM (as fans that want to deflect blame from Whaley will claim).... another coach. The days of anyone owing EJ anything because he was a 1st round pick are gone.

NOBODY is saying the Bills OWE EJ anything.

But Rex has said it will be an OPEN Competition for the starting Job, and I will take him at his word.

And we all have heard how much Rex thinks of Tyrod as well.

I believe it really is an open competition for the starting job, but I think Cassel is the LAST QB in that competition that the Bills WANT to win that job.

swiper
07-30-2015, 03:46 AM
LMAO at the TROLL.

The Bills drafted EJ in the FIRST RND. but they would rather an OLD MEDIOCRE QB they traded LOW RND picks for wins the job? IDIOT TROLL.

They traded for Cassel after watching Manuel fail for 2 years Mr. name-caller. God forgot to offer you a brain.

swiper
07-30-2015, 03:48 AM
They also did not extend his deal, which tells me that they aren't sure yet and are leaving themselves and easy out if he does not win the battle.

I didn't deny that. I said "hope". The Bills have quite clearly said there is a competition. But it is also quite clear that they don't have faith in Manuel by making a trade to get a midling veteran QB.

Fixxxer
07-30-2015, 05:37 AM

If the offense is similar to the 49ers offense when Alex Smith was the QB, I think all three QB we have are viable for it. I think Cassel is underrated as an athlete, you won't be running the read option with him but he can move in the pocket on some designed plays.

It doesn't matter what my favorite QB is or who I want as the starting QB, I will enter this TC with an open mind knowing that once and for all we have a veteran offensive coordinator that will, be creative with the running game and not be the repetitive and predictable mess the last offense and playcaller was. This will be a great aid for any of the QBs that will start at first, though, whoever that guy will be will have to step up and own the offense by the end of the year.

HHURRICANE
07-30-2015, 06:28 AM
I'll say this again. This is not an open competition. The coaches have picked their guy. It's smart to keep it competitive because you need the QBs executing the offense even on second team reps.

Cassel is the starter.

They didn't bring him in here to help EJ.

Dr. Lecter
07-30-2015, 06:30 AM
Why would they limit Cassell's reps with the starters when he is new to the team, with a new offensive coordinator and all new teammates?

That would be counter productive and makes no sense.

better days
07-30-2015, 06:31 AM
They traded for Cassel after watching Manuel fail for 2 years Mr. name-caller. God forgot to offer you a brain.

Calling me a name caller TROLL?

YOU are the person that started calling other people names!

EAT IT IDIOT TROLL!

Dr. Lecter
07-30-2015, 06:33 AM
Stop it.

Both of you. Just stop it.

Nobody wants to read this ****.

HHURRICANE
07-30-2015, 06:33 AM
Why would they limit Cassell's reps with the starters when he is new to the team, with a new offensive coordinator and all new teammates?

That would be counter productive and makes no sense.

I agree. Camp is just starting and I don't think that will be the case for very long.

Mr. Miyagi
07-30-2015, 09:25 AM
The Bills TRADED for Cassel. Clearly they have hopes he wins the battle out-right.
The Bills TRADED for Bryce Brown. He doesn't seem to be high on the totem pole.

Bill Cody
07-30-2015, 09:40 AM
I'll say this again. This is not an open competition. The coaches have picked their guy. It's smart to keep it competitive because you need the QBs executing the offense even on second team reps.

Cassel is the starter.

They didn't bring him in here to help EJ.

Let's say you're right. Do you honestly think whoever is the starter has that long of a leash? We're not naming a Pharaoh here. This team has some pressure on it to win. Let's say they do go with Cassel. If the team is under .500 at the bye would it surprise you if the team changed horses? I sure wouldn't be.

better days
07-30-2015, 10:46 AM

And the Bills traded a much higher pick for Brown than for Cassel.

better days
07-30-2015, 10:50 AM
Let's say you're right. Do you honestly think whoever is the starter has that long of a leash? We're not naming a Pharaoh here. This team has some pressure on it to win. Let's say they do go with Cassel. If the team is under .500 at the bye would it surprise you if the team changed horses? I sure wouldn't be.

Kyle Orton was brought up on WGR yesterday & a good point was made.

Orton was not in TC, but Orton had the first 4 weeks to study the playbook while EJ played.

It makes me wonder if Marrone did not plan to start Orton as soon as he was ready regardless of how EJ was playing.

It would not have looked good to pull EJ while he was winning, but it was reported that Marrone changed the offense after week two.

swiper
07-30-2015, 11:14 AM
Calling me a name caller TROLL?

YOU are the person that started calling other people names!

EAT IT IDIOT TROLL!

LOL @ you.

swiper
07-30-2015, 11:15 AM

We're talking about QBs here little boy. He's a RB and the situation is different completely. You're trying to compare apples with oranges. So try again. Just come back with something logical next time.

better days
07-30-2015, 11:23 AM
We're talking about QBs here little boy. He's a RB and the situation is different completely. You're trying to compare apples with oranges. So try again. Just come back with something logical next time.

So you continue to call other people names TROLL?

LMAO at you.

A draft pick is a draft pick & a 4th rnd pick is HIGHER than a 6th or 7th rnd pick IDIOT TROLL.

swiper
07-30-2015, 11:29 AM
LOL @ you.

better days
07-30-2015, 11:31 AM
And if their abilities are similar, a QB would bring a MUCH HIGHER Draft Pick than a RB.

So the fact Cassel rated such a LOW pick in return, does not speak well of his ability.

- - - Updated - - -

LOL @ you.

​TROLL

swiper
07-30-2015, 11:55 AM
LOL.

IlluminatusUIUC
07-30-2015, 12:47 PM

As I said when we drafted Karlos Williams, it's the only time I can remember a team using its 5th rounder to cover up for bungling its 4th rounder from the same year.

POTLAND PSILBYLO
07-30-2015, 01:38 PM
Trololololo!

Michael82
07-30-2015, 03:07 PM
I'd be shocked if Matt Cassel is handed the starting job. He's not that good and really just another Kevin Kolb. No thanks!

Mr. Miyagi
07-30-2015, 03:16 PM
I'd be shocked if Matt Cassel is handed the starting job. He's not that good and really just another Kevin Kolb. No thanks!
To be fair, Cassel is better than Kolb, but he's nothing special. When QB starved teams like KC and Vikings give up on you in favor of Alex Smith and rookie Bridgewater, you know you've hit your ceiling. Cassel is the slightly younger and better Josh McCown.

swiper
07-30-2015, 03:33 PM
Kevin Kolb got injured anyway. It wasn't like he was benched.

better days
07-30-2015, 03:42 PM
Kevin Kolb got injured anyway. It wasn't like he was benched.

Of course Kolb was not benched.

The plan was for Kolb to start EJ's rookie year & have EJ sit & develop behind him.

That plan got scrapped with Kolb's injury.

HHURRICANE
08-01-2015, 06:44 AM
FYI....he did start as the number one yesterday. That wasn't a coincidence.

Dr. Lecter
08-01-2015, 08:30 AM

And he's with the #2 team today while EJ and Taylor are with the #1s

What does that mean?

Right it means nothing. They have not picked a QB yet. Cassell might win it. But if they had one now, they wouldn't be splitting reps.

better days
08-01-2015, 08:40 AM

And Cassel looked terrible yesterday from reports I read.

But as Dr. Lecter said, it means nothing at this point.

Syderick
08-01-2015, 09:08 AM
And Cassel looked terrible yesterday from reports I read.

But as Dr. Lecter said, it means nothing at this point.

All the quarterbacks looked bad yesterday according to the reports i've read.

better days
08-01-2015, 09:30 AM
All the quarterbacks looked bad yesterday according to the reports i've read.

Agreed, I read the same, but only Cassel & Tyrod played with the first team offense from what I read.

sudzy
08-01-2015, 10:20 AM
And he's with the #2 team today while EJ and Taylor are with the #1s

What does that mean?

We suck at QB

swiper
08-01-2015, 10:48 AM
We suck at QB

Enjoy watching the years that Derek Carr and Teddy Bridgewater have this year. We could have taken them instead of Manuel.

HHURRICANE
08-02-2015, 01:55 PM
From Chris Brown:

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Top-3-things-you-need-to-know-from-Day-3-at-Bills-Camp/580c40f2-b903-45d4-867c-e6d611bcc31b

3 – More first team work for QB Cassel
Matt Cassel has seen some measure of work with the starting offensive unit each of the first three days in the quarterback rotation. Sunday would’ve been the day he rotated out with EJ Manuel and Tyrod Taylor getting the bulk of the work with the ones, but that wasn’t the case.

Ryan explained that he and his offensive staff believe Cassel is a veteran that knows what he’s doing, while Taylor and Manuel can be more effectively developed by getting them additional work with the second and third team units.

“We put (Cassel) there,” said Ryan of working with the ones. “That’s what we want to do. With his experience we think it’s more appropriate that he’s always rotating with them. Tyrod will get his equal turns at the one spot and so will EJ, so we’re putting them there, but when we go to running some other units they go down with the threes because they’re younger and are going to be with some of these younger guys. We think that’s the best way to develop these young quarterbacks.”

I guess I was right.

Dr. Lecter
08-02-2015, 07:25 PM
Based on what?

If they knew Cassel was going to start he would be working almost extensively with the first unit and the other two would get little or no time.

I know being right on a message board is important stuff - but you're not right here. Certainly Cassel might end up starting. But they don't know that now

HHURRICANE
08-02-2015, 07:32 PM
Based on what?

If they knew Cassel was going to start he would be working almost extensively with the first unit and the other two would get little or no time.

I know being right on a message board is important stuff - but you're not right here. Certainly Cassel might end up starting. But they don't know that now

You realize you need a QB to run the second and third teams?

Even if Cassel was announced as the starter it wouldn't change much. They wouldn't kick the other QBs out of camp.

Bottom line is he already being setup as the starter.

Mr. Pink
08-02-2015, 08:56 PM
It was known on March 4.

The day the Bills and Vikings agreed on the trade for Cassel.

HHURRICANE
08-11-2015, 08:52 PM
Based on what?

I know it's important as the mod to be right....

k-oneputt
08-11-2015, 09:02 PM
EJ will go down as one of the Bills worst 1st rd. picks ever, and that is saying something.

Yasgur's Farm
08-12-2015, 10:06 AM
Based on what?

I know being right on a message board is important stuff - but you're not right here. Certainly Cassel might end up starting. But they don't know that nowAhhh.. Logic... Almost didn't recognize it.

swiper
08-12-2015, 10:53 AM
Based on what?

And they said that from the beginning. It's going on every day. One day one guy does well, another poorly. Next day vice versa. We'll know week one, but things seem to be going the way of Cassel getting those reps if this continues:

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/609854158242508800/YZ2A3xCG_normal.jpgJoe Buscaglia @JoeBuscaglia (https://twitter.com/JoeBuscaglia)

#Bills (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Bills?src=hash) QB rep count in team drills today:
Cassel: 29
Taylor: 23
Manuel: 18

Quarterback update
Matt Cassel was the primary #1 QB and it wasn’t close as far as reps. He got almost all of the 11-on-11 snaps with the first team, although Tyrod Taylor took a few. EJ Manuel had one snap in that scenario. Manuel was with the third team most of practice, with Taylor the #2 QB, but both QBs took some second-team reps.

http://www.wgr550.com/Screen-game-the-focus-of-offense-Tuesday/21846854

better days
08-12-2015, 11:51 AM
EJ will go down as one of the Bills worst 1st rd. picks ever, and that is saying something.

Nonsense.

In the first place, the Bills traded down & picked up Kiko before drafting EJ.

For that reason alone, EJ was nowhere near one of the worst first rnd picks by the Bills.

And there are DOZENS of first rnd picks worse than EJ even if he gets cut this year.

Victor7
08-12-2015, 12:24 PM
Nonsense.

In the first place, the Bills traded down & picked up Kiko before drafting EJ.

For that reason alone, EJ was nowhere near one of the worst first rnd picks by the Bills.

Uhm .... What ?

k-oneputt
08-12-2015, 12:30 PM
Uhm .... What ?

No sense in even trying.

better days
08-12-2015, 12:37 PM
Uhm .... What ?

Looks like a number of people on this board can't read.

k-oneputt
08-12-2015, 12:45 PM
16th pick two years ago, and he is on the step of being out of the league altogether ????

That's a bad pick.

better days
08-12-2015, 01:52 PM
16th pick two years ago, and he is on the step of being out of the league altogether ????

That's a bad pick.

EJ may prove to be a bad pick.

But no way in Hell is he one of the worst picks in Bills History.

And anyone that thinks he is obviously has no knowledge of the Bills draft history.

Generalissimus Gibby
08-12-2015, 02:02 PM

Nah, that is to harsh. In 2013 Moron needed a QB and so he got the best one of a bad lot. EJ is pathetically mediocre. Unlike JP Lossman who still makes my head hurts and was gotten in such a way that it screwed us over big time in future drafts, plus there were better QBs and other position players available at the time.

Albany,n.y.
08-12-2015, 02:28 PM
EJ may prove to be a bad pick.

But no way in Hell is he one of the worst picks in Bills History.

And anyone that thinks he is obviously has no knowledge of the Bills draft history.

A 1st round QB bust sets the team back like no other bust at a different position. So, yes, no matter how bad the Bills drafted at other positions, since the Bills have only drafted 4 QB in the 1st round and 3 of them have failed, EJ is among the worst picks in Bills history, joining JP Losman and to a lesser extent Richie Lucas as one of the worst picks in Bills' history.

tomz
08-12-2015, 04:12 PM
Sorry but I gotta go with Mike Williams or Aaron Maybin as worst ever.

Victor7
08-12-2015, 04:34 PM
Looks like a number of people on this board can't read.

More like you can't write or comprehend yourself

Kiko was a 2nd round pick. He went after EJ (1st round pick 16) and after Robert Woods (2nd round pick 41) I have no idea what you meant.

I am truly baffled at your post.

better days
08-12-2015, 06:32 PM
A 1st round QB bust sets the team back like no other bust at a different position. So, yes, no matter how bad the Bills drafted at other positions, since the Bills have only drafted 4 QB in the 1st round and 3 of them have failed, EJ is among the worst picks in Bills history, joining JP Losman and to a lesser extent Richie Lucas as one of the worst picks in Bills' history.

Well, I totally disagree. The vast majority of Bills fans would have been happy if the Bills drafted Kiko at #9.

Instead, the Bills got BOTH Kiko & EJ with that #9 pick.

For that reason, it is incredibly stupid IMO to consider EJ one of the worst picks even if he does not pan out.

better days
08-12-2015, 06:34 PM
More like you can't write or comprehend yourself

Kiko was a 2nd round pick. He went after EJ (1st round pick 16) and after Robert Woods (2nd round pick 41) I have no idea what you meant.

I am truly baffled at your post.

The Bills got Kiko with the pick they got from trading down.

They did not use the #9 pick on EJ, they traded DOWN & got BOTH EJ & Kiko for the price of that #9 pick.

Mike
08-12-2015, 11:48 PM

They did not use the #9 pick on EJ, they traded DOWN & got BOTH EJ & Kiko for the price of that #9 pick.

I get it.

If BetterDays ate a shiit sandwich he would argue that the bread is pretty delicious, thus the sandwich isn't that shiiity and because of the bread it's no longer a Shiiit sandwich.

You may be ok with a shiiiity sandwich or a busted pick @16 but the majority of bills fans would prefer a do over.

Mr. Pink
08-13-2015, 12:12 AM
Sorry but I gotta go with Mike Williams or Aaron Maybin as worst ever.

No love for Erik Flowers?

Seriously though Losman is the worst pick I can remember for this team just because they gave up multiple picks to acquire him and he turned out to be hot garbage. They ended up giving up the 20th choice in the 2005 NFL draft and guess who went 24th that year? Aaron Rodgers. That's not to say that Buffalo would have selected him but they were in the replace Drew Bledsoe idea and it could have happened.

PromoTheRobot
08-13-2015, 12:20 AM

Cassel will be the starter but you will see a lot of Tyrod too. I think Roman is gameplanning for both QBs. Even plays with both QBs on the field.

sudzy
08-13-2015, 02:14 AM
No love for Erik Flowers?

Seriously though Losman is the worst pick I can remember for this team just because they gave up multiple picks to acquire him and he turned out to be hot garbage. They ended up giving up the 20th choice in the 2005 NFL draft and guess who went 24th that year? Aaron Rodgers. That's not to say that Buffalo would have selected him but they were in the replace Drew Bledsoe idea and it could have happened.

So many bust to pick from. It's hard to say EJ would be top 5. The whole JP/Rodgers thing always burns me. The Bills always seem to pick the wrong drafts to force a QB pick when the is none left to pick.

swiper
08-13-2015, 03:30 AM
Walt Patulsky<Mike Williams<Aaron Maybin< EJ Manuel

Manuel's complete story may not be written, but if the Bills don't get anything out of him then he's got to be considered as one of the worst.

HHURRICANE
08-13-2015, 06:08 AM
Cassel will be the starter but you will see a lot of Tyrod too. I think Roman is gameplanning for both QBs. Even plays with both QBs on the field.

My buddy was at camp yesterday, who is a big Tyrod fan, and said both Cassel andTyrod looked very good. He said Tyrod throws a very tight ball. If Tyrod wins the job because he's the best I can handle eating crow on this board.

BTW he said EJ did not look so good.

Victor7
08-13-2015, 09:09 AM

K ... thanks I guess

Still. Your comment makes no sense. Somebody else called EJ one of our worst 1st round picks. You said that he wasn't and used Kiko's trade down as proof of it. I'll ask again .... Uhm what ??

Whether Manuel's 16th pick slot came from a trade down or not is irrelevant. He was picked in the 1st round and Kiko wasn't. Simple as that. Your argument is not only invalid but quite frankly dumb.

WagonCircler
08-13-2015, 09:13 AM
Walt Patulsky<Mike Williams<Aaron Maybin< EJ Manuel

Manuel's complete story may not be written, but if the Bills don't get anything out of him then he's got to be considered as one of the worst.

The thing is, the EJ pick is so much worse because of the ripple effect that a bad QB pick has. You miss on Patulski or Mike Williams? Well, that sucks, but it doesn't destroy you like missing on the most important position on the team does.

And when you compound it with Whaley's asinine stubbornness about addressing the problem, you have an absolute nightmare.

The Tom Cousineau pick ended up working out, because we were able to eventually trade him to the Browns for the pick that got us Jim Kelly.

The EJ pick is a massive net loss with no upside.

better days
08-13-2015, 09:49 AM
The thing is, the EJ pick is so much worse because of the ripple effect that a bad QB pick has. You miss on Patulski or Mike Williams? Well, that sucks, but it doesn't destroy you like missing on the most important position on the team does.

And when you compound it with Whaley's asinine stubbornness about addressing the problem, you have an absolute nightmare.

The Tom Cousineau pick ended up working out, because we were able to eventually trade him to the Browns for the pick that got us Jim Kelly.

His Rookie year, EJ was supposed to sit & Kolb was to be the starter.

Kolb was injured which forced EJ to start.

And EJ played as well as could be expected, probably better than could be expected his Rookie year.

His 2nd year, EJ was 2-2 before Orton took over.

I don't see how his pick set the Bills back at all.

gebobs
08-13-2015, 10:13 AM
The fact that the starting position is still up for grabs speaks volumes. Warts on all of them. We just haven't seen Tie Rod's.

We came closer to the playoffs last year with Uncle Orton than we have in a while. I don't really see us getting much closer.

Smart money is on a 16th straight season.

gebobs
08-13-2015, 10:18 AM
Massive? It was a late first rounder that missed. Happens a lot. Especially in Buffalo. Just gotta suck it up. Sunk cost. Move on.

But to your point...the Bills aren't ready to admit it.

WagonCircler
08-13-2015, 10:23 AM
Massive? It was a late first rounder that missed. Happens a lot. Especially in Buffalo. Just gotta suck it up. Sunk cost. Move on.

But to your point...the Bills aren't ready to admit it.

Yes, massive. For the reasons I stated above.

You can't look at it as being equal to the value of a late first round pick. It's not that simple.

The gridlock that it caused at the QB position has damaged this team and the lack of pursuit of a real solution at the position will essentially negate the best Defense this team has ever had.

The QB position is the Achille's heel that dooms this team, and the blown pick along with the accompanying stubbornness is at the root of a still festering problem with no solution in sight.

We don't even yet know the full extent of the damage, and it's already massive.

gebobs
08-13-2015, 10:32 AM
You can't look at it as being equal to the value of a late first round pick.

But that's the fact.

It's not that simple.

Thus the second line of my post. It's massive only because OBD won't divest themselves of the pick. I agree with you completely as much as it might not seem like it. I'm a bit hungover today and my brain isn't communicating so well.

Dr. Lecter
09-05-2015, 03:29 PM
I know it's important as the mod to be right....

I usually don't think it is, but maybe I'll make an exception here.

HHURRICANE
09-05-2015, 03:34 PM
I'm sick of Billszone letting the Chinese hack my account.

Is there anything we can do about this???

BillsImpossible
09-05-2015, 03:46 PM
I'm sick of Billszone letting the Chinese hack my account.

Is there anything we can do about this???

lol, that was funny.

Thanks Mitt Romney.

Would you like a some flip flops with your waffles?

Goobylal
09-05-2015, 07:36 PM
lol, that was funny.

Thanks Mitt Romney.

Would you like a some flip flops with your waffles?
Naw, just rename it "evolving."

BertSquirtgum
09-05-2015, 08:13 PM
Wagoncirle must be having fits of rage today

BertSquirtgum
09-05-2015, 08:17 PM

So Cassel is the starter eh? What say you now?

HHURRICANE
09-05-2015, 08:20 PM
The funny part is Meathead said 1000% it was EJ while I was pontificating on Cassel. Who knew Tyrod would get the job.

I posted that my buddy knew that it was Tyrods job to lose and I still didn't believe him and he had the inside track.

justasportsfan
09-05-2015, 08:36 PM
The funny part is Meathead said 1000% it was EJ while I was pontificating on Cassel. Who knew Tyrod would get the job.

I posted that my buddy knew that it was Tyrods job to lose and I still didn't believe him and he had the inside track.

Trying to deflect your bust of a prediction on mh. Sad

HHURRICANE
09-05-2015, 08:55 PM
Trying to deflect your bust of a prediction on mh. Sad

Hey look up the page. On the 13th I said I'd be fine with Tyrod winning the job.

You've always been a jerk on this board. It's a fan site to have fun. Sorry your life is so pathetic.