PDA

View Full Version : For Those Waiting on Brandon to Leave...

DraftBoy
07-27-2015, 10:07 AM
He was just named the President of the Sabres, same position he holds with the Bills. Clearly the Pegulas value him very highly.

He will continue to hold both roles fwiw.

SpikedLemonade
07-27-2015, 10:19 AM
LOL!!!

DesertFox24
07-27-2015, 10:25 AM
You know what I like Brandon and I think he is a good leader. I would hope this means he runs the organization but does not have a say in drafting or signing players. All it means is that he is overseeing the organizations from a business side and making sure people have the power to make decisions when it comes to personnel but he has no vote what so ever, but he will hold the person accountable for mistakes.

cookie G
07-27-2015, 10:25 AM
After an exhaustive search lasting more than 20 minutes, the new head coach of the Buffalo Sabres will now be:

Nicholas Pierandri - head coach, Syracuse

http://suhockey.com/profiles/npierandri/

Recently hired coach Dan Bylsma, upon his departure from team facilities, issued an official statement:

"WTF?"

IlluminatusUIUC
07-27-2015, 10:29 AM
Has anyone heard from WagonCircler? This could kill him.

justasportsfan
07-27-2015, 10:32 AM
what the hell does a billionaire know about business? Pegula is out of his mind.

/sarcasm

OpIv37
07-27-2015, 10:38 AM
what the hell does a billionaire know about business? Pegula is out of his mind.

/sarcasm
He is out of his mind. The Bills have woefully underperformed during Brandon's tenure because Ralph and his lackey valued the bottom dollar over winning.

If Pegula wants to make money regardless of the outcome on the field/ice, then keeping Brandon is the right business decision. If Pegula actually wants to win games, this is ****ing stupid.

trapezeus
07-27-2015, 10:40 AM
give brandon credit. he moves the most snakeoil anyone has ever seen.

sabres plan to be good is officially derailed.

Ginger Vitis
07-27-2015, 10:48 AM
http://sabres.buffalonews.com/2015/07/27/sabres-part-ways-with-team-president-black-bills-brandon-to-assume-role/

The Pegulas were unhappy with how there were always issues with the operations of the sabres compared to how they saw the Bills operation ran smoothly

Buffalogic
07-27-2015, 11:09 AM
He is out of his mind. The Bills have woefully underperformed during Brandon's tenure because Ralph and his lackey valued the bottom dollar over winning.

If Pegula wants to make money regardless of the outcome on the field/ice, then keeping Brandon is the right business decision. If Pegula actually wants to win games, this is ****ing stupid.
Brandon isn't a GM, he isn't a scout, he doesn't do player personnel. He's a marketer, a business growth executive. He has nothing to do with wins and losses. Why is that so hard to understand?

justasportsfan
07-27-2015, 11:10 AM

Thats the problem here. You are not viewing Russ from a business perspective. No one is saying Russ was ever a great talent evaluator. You guys just needed someone to blame therefore you concocted the thought that he was was responsible for a lot of the decisions and blamed him for the results ON THE FIELD.

Even you would fire Russ if that were true, yet you aren't even worthy of sniffing Russ' jockstrap when it comes to business.

Mr. Miyagi
07-27-2015, 11:14 AM
He was just named the President of the Sabres, same position he holds with the Bills. Clearly the Pegulas value him very highly.

He will continue to hold both roles fwiw.
April fools? No ****** way this is real.

swiper
07-27-2015, 11:20 AM
wagoncircler's head may explode when he hears this news.

- - - Updated - - -

April fools? No ****** way this is real.

It is VERY real.

Here's the WGR news release: http://www.wgr550.com/Black-is-out-and-Brandon-is-in-as-President-of-the/21793558

HHURRICANE
07-27-2015, 11:20 AM
It was also disclosed today that he is a managing "partner."

HHURRICANE
07-27-2015, 11:23 AM
I am not a Russ Brandon fan. He is a "yes" man and I hate seeing "yes" men get ahead.

Bill Polian had no problem saying no to Ralph and wasn't scared of losing his job.

Maybe there is more here but from what I've seen Im not impressed. The Toronto debacle falls on his shoulders and that didn't market the team geographically. It just made the Bills more vulnerable and for that I will never trust this guy.

Victor7
07-27-2015, 11:37 AM
Unexplainable to say the least.

I guess that as long as he keeps his nose out of field/ice decisions its ok. He's a money maker for sure. But at what cost ? Over winning ? Its up to Pegula. Ralph always valued the bottom line over winning. That's why Brandon stuck around for so long despite the team's ineptitude.

Joe Fo Sho
07-27-2015, 11:37 AM
I thought Brandon wasn't involved with football operations anymore. Is that no longer the case?

If it's strictly from a business standpoint, I'm fine with him staying here. I've been under the impression that Russ is running the business end and Whaley is running the football end and neither answer to the other person, they both answer only to the Pegulas.

better days
07-27-2015, 11:59 AM
I am not a Russ Brandon fan. He is a "yes" man and I hate seeing "yes" men get ahead.

Bill Polian had no problem saying no to Ralph and wasn't scared of losing his job.

Maybe there is more here but from what I've seen Im not impressed. The Toronto debacle falls on his shoulders and that didn't market the team geographically. It just made the Bills more vulnerable and for that I will never trust this guy.

Screw Polian. He screwed the Pegula's when Marrone quit.

Yeah, Polian wasn't scared of losing his job & that helped the Bills how?

A good executive knows how to get his point across without losing his job.

OpIv37
07-27-2015, 12:32 PM
Thats the problem here. You are not viewing Russ from a business perspective. No one is saying Russ was ever a great talent evaluator. You guys just needed someone to blame therefore you concocted the thought that he was was responsible for a lot of the decisions and blamed him for the results ON THE FIELD.

Even you would fire Russ if that were true, yet you aren't even worthy of sniffing Russ' jockstrap when it comes to business.
Russ was in charge. If he wasn't making the decisions on the field, he was picking the guys who were. He has a LOT of blood on his hands for the disaster that this team has been since he arrived. I could give two ****s about his business acumen. He doesn't get wins.

casdhf
07-27-2015, 12:36 PM
Brandon has been a marketing genius. I don't understand the hate. He was a non-football guy tasked with making football decisions. Anyone really surprised he failed? I'm not. He is doing what he should and what he is good at.

OpIv37
07-27-2015, 12:50 PM
Brandon has been a marketing genius. I don't understand the hate. He was a non-football guy tasked with making football decisions. Anyone really surprised he failed? I'm not. He is doing what he should and what he is good at.

Fans should be upset with anyone responsible for the cluster**** that was the last 15 years. I guess it's not entirely Brandon's fault that we fans were dumb enough to fall for his crap, but he made Ralph even richer off of our money while we suffered though a dumpster fire of a football team.

Lucidvizion
07-27-2015, 12:51 PM
Now he doesn't have to hire a new person.

i.e. Pegula is cheap.

justasportsfan
07-27-2015, 12:53 PM
Russ was in charge. If he wasn't making the decisions on the field, he was picking the guys who were.

but that is what this thread is about. Russ as a business/marketing guy. He's awesome.

justasportsfan
07-27-2015, 12:56 PM
Fans should be upset with anyone responsible for the cluster**** that was the last 15 years. I guess it's not entirely Brandon's fault that we fans were dumb enough to fall for his crap, but he made Ralph even richer off of our money while we suffered though a dumpster fire of a football team.

and yet you're telling us Pegula is out of his mind? Okay, he's out of his mind . Just make out your check to Kim Pegula ..... better yet, send the check to me and I'll make sure they get it.

OpIv37
07-27-2015, 01:10 PM
and yet you're telling us Pegula is out of his mind? Okay, he's out of his mind . Just make out your check to Kim Pegula ..... better yet, send the check to me and I'll make sure they get it.

Well Pegula said when he bought the Sabres that the sole reason for the team's existence was to win a Stanley Cup. Then he spends tons of money on everything from FA's to locker room upgrades.

Yet, he turns around and hires a guy who makes tons of money for the owns but can't put a winning team together to save his life.

It makes zero sense.

OpIv37
07-27-2015, 01:13 PM
And btw, the Sabres sold 15,000 seats to a rookie scrimmage in July, just a few short months after finishing last in the league and setting several franchise records for futility. They sold 97% of their tickets last season despite being terrible. They don't need Brandon's used car salesman tactics to make money.

DesertFox24
07-27-2015, 01:31 PM

You do not know he is a yes man or not. A good leader might not want to do something and appropriately discusses with ownership or his team and then presents a unified front to the public. This does not mean he is a yes man or not.

feldspar
07-27-2015, 02:11 PM
Yet, he turns around and hires a guy who makes tons of money for the owns but can't put a winning team together to save his life.

It's not his JOB to "put a team together."

WagonCircler
07-27-2015, 02:18 PM

**** you, marketing genius. Selling football to WNYers takes a genius?

Total ****ing empty suit.

Terry is apparently no different than Ralph.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Buffalo sports fans, welcome to fuctville.

Joe Fo Sho
07-27-2015, 02:19 PM
Fans should be upset with anyone responsible for the cluster**** that was the last 15 years.

Ralph was directly responsible for this.

justasportsfan
07-27-2015, 02:25 PM
Well Pegula said when he bought the Sabres that the sole reason for the team's existence was to win a Stanley Cup. Then he spends tons of money on everything from FA's to locker room upgrades.

It makes zero sense.

Are you that dense? It makes perfect sense to hire someone who will make you money.

Where does it say that Pegula made Russ in charge of team personnel?

As a matter of fact, his CEO title was stripped from him when Pegula bought the bills.

justasportsfan
07-27-2015, 02:27 PM
And btw, the Sabres sold 15,000 seats to a rookie scrimmage in July, just a few short months after finishing last in the league and setting several franchise records for futility. They sold 97% of their tickets last season despite being terrible. They don't need Brandon's used car salesman tactics to make money.

Thats why you're an employee. You can always use more expertise to make MORE money.

sudzy
07-27-2015, 02:34 PM
The more things change the more they stay the same.

So, I guess for those waiting for Terry to be a big change from Ralph....

better days
07-27-2015, 02:39 PM
The more things change the more they stay the same.

So, I guess for those waiting for Terry to be a big change from Ralph....

Yeah, the Pegula's are just like Ralph Wilson was, COMMITTED to Buffalo.

trapezeus
07-27-2015, 02:57 PM
why do people assume that brandon has been helpful selling football in buffalo? this was the easiest job on the face of the earth. and he had to "manufacture his sell outs" using his own words.

Great way to sell out games is to win. which means the mularkeys and the chan gaileys and doug marones can't be your choice. and your GM can't be done in committee. it means you pay your qb, and you find one.

and the bills have historically just kept their guys until they had to fire someone.

That isn't management. it's being completely incompetent at your job.

what he's good at is making morons think that he hasn't be responsible for the failures and somehow solely responsible for people loving football over the last 20 years.

Meathead
07-27-2015, 03:32 PM
said it many times, russ would be one of the very last ppl i would ever fire from the bills (and now sabres)

YardRat
07-27-2015, 03:49 PM
It'll be interesting if the Sabres don't get measurably better in the next couple of years, than certain people can once again re-write history and blame all of the Sabres woes of the past few seasons on Brandon as well.

YardRat
07-27-2015, 03:51 PM
Just keep his ass away from the cameras and mikes, please. And as far away from player decisions as possible.

DynaPaul
07-27-2015, 04:18 PM
A++ Marketing guy. F++ for personnel and player decisions.

Historian
07-27-2015, 04:24 PM
Can somebody please just drive a stake through that idiot's heart?

feldspar
07-27-2015, 04:50 PM
A++ Marketing guy. F++ for personnel and player decisions.

Name his player and personnel decisions.

Which ones are you talking about that are his fault?

I'm not defending the guy, just asking a question.

What exactly has his responsibilities been over the years? What can we hold him accountable for, and I mean exactly?

Buffalogic
07-27-2015, 04:56 PM
^Nothing with personnel. But this board thrives on a mob mentality. Facts are unnecessary.

WagonCircler
07-27-2015, 05:09 PM
Name his player and personnel decisions.

Which ones are you talking about that are his fault?

I'm not defending the guy, just asking a question.

What exactly has his responsibilities been over the years? What can we hold him accountable for, and I mean exactly?

When he was General Manager, he had input on ALL personnel decisions. That's no different than taking feedback from the woman who cleans the offices at OBD. He has, to this day, ZERO qualifications on anything to do with football, but he felt entitled to oversee the draft.

This ******* was in ticket sales for a BASEBALL team that won a world series and still couldn't sell tickets. Then he came here. He is no more qualified than you or me or even Mace or Meathead to make decisions on football.

He's always credited with "regionalization" of ticket sales. This is what passes for genius? That's Marketing 101. That's not genius.

I just heard John Murphy on the radio. He said "I'm a Russ fan. The most important thing I learned about Russ in the past three years is that he really wants to win."

Seriously? Who the **** DOESN'T want to win? That doesn't mean he has a sliver of a clue how to win or build a winning team. Or a clue about hiring people to build winning teams.

This is Terry Pegula saying "OK. I'm bored. I did my part to keep the teams here. Now I'm putting them on auto-pilot. If you need anything, I'll be on my yacht."

Victor7
07-27-2015, 05:23 PM
Just keep his ass away from the cameras and mikes, please. And as far away from player decisions as possible.

From ANYTHING football related. Keep him in an office away from the field and the front office.

YardRat
07-27-2015, 06:39 PM
Awwwww....Terry's honeymoon sure was short. I guess just any ol' dude with a boat load of money might not be the panacea everybody was hoping for, hmmm?

HHURRICANE
07-27-2015, 11:03 PM
I guess he's a marketing genius if he got people to buy the ****ty product he was putting on the field.

better days
07-28-2015, 06:27 AM
Whaley & Rex will run the football operation on the Bills.

Tim Murray will run the hockey operation for the Sabres.

Brandon will handle the business side for both teams.

Does anyone think Brandon will be worse than Ted Black?

trapezeus
07-28-2015, 06:44 AM
^Nothing with personnel. But this board thrives on a mob mentality. Facts are unnecessary.

no stone left unturned... he wrote that in a letter after yet another coach left in 3 years. that approach took less than 3 interviews (one for quota purposes). And he got the guy from down the street. a guy who was incompentent and paranoid. two of the worst traits combined.

He takes credit at the times of hires and then points the finger at someone else when it's a failure.

he is a suckup. you can see that in how he carries himself. and what the owners know is that these two sports sell themselves. there is no reason to have a more expensive guy in the role.

OpIv37
07-28-2015, 06:50 AM
It's not his JOB to "put a team together."

It's his job to find people who can and he has consistently failed at it.

better days
07-28-2015, 06:56 AM
no stone left unturned... he wrote that in a letter after yet another coach left in 3 years. that approach took less than 3 interviews (one for quota purposes). And he got the guy from down the street. a guy who was incompentent and paranoid. two of the worst traits combined.

He takes credit at the times of hires and then points the finger at someone else when it's a failure.

he is a suckup. you can see that in how he carries himself. and what the owners know is that these two sports sell themselves. there is no reason to have a more expensive guy in the role.

I know I would be happy with Brandon's salary, especially after getting the Sabres job.

There may be execs making more money than Brandon, but I would bet there are some that make much less.

JoeMama
07-28-2015, 07:13 AM
Look, Russ Brandon is a great snake oil salesman but for the love of God keep him far the **** away from personnel & sports decisions.

And hey, here's what I think of marketing & advertising people.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-5LEYG5TqaI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

don137
07-28-2015, 07:40 AM
I have no problem with the operations side of Russ. It was Ralph that put him on the football side. This set the Bills back because he is not a football guy he is a marketing/operations guy. It's not his fault Ralph did that. What are people criticisms of him from a marketing/operations standpoint? I feel he was following Ralph's orders to do the Toronto series. Hasn't everyone done things they have not wanted to do on their job because a higher authority told him to do it? He generated a lot of revenue for that deal. He followed orders and ended the series when Pegulas took over.

We don't see how he runs the operations side. However, Pegulas are astute business people so if they put their trust in Russ I have no problem with that.

justasportsfan
07-28-2015, 08:25 AM
Russ has been great at regionalizing the bills franchise. He will do the same with the sabres. He already said yesterday he won't be in charge of hockey operations. This should end the argument.

OpIv37
07-28-2015, 09:47 AM
To me, Russ is Ralph. He represents the old way of doing things, where coaches and FO personnel are consistently underpaid compared to league averages, the org settles for second or third tier coaches and FA's, guys with big salaries are allowed to walk but the money is stuffed into a mattress instead of re-invested in the team and we start the season a gazillion dollars below the salary cap, etc. And it's all because budget decisions override football ones when Russ is in charge.

OpIv37
07-28-2015, 09:49 AM
Russ has been great at regionalizing the bills franchise. He will do the same with the sabres. He already said yesterday he won't be in charge of hockey operations. This should end the argument.

But will he be in charge of how much money hockey operations gets? His cash-to-cap policy hamstrung football operations even when he wasn't directly involved.

justasportsfan
07-28-2015, 10:22 AM
But will he be in charge of how much money hockey operations gets? His cash-to-cap policy hamstrung football operations even when he wasn't directly involved.

I doubt it. I doubt he also had the final say as to how much the team was allowed to spend.

- - - Updated - - -

To me, Russ is Ralph. He represents the old way of doing things, where coaches and FO personnel are consistently underpaid compared to league averages, the org settles for second or third tier coaches and FA's, guys with big salaries are allowed to walk but the money is stuffed into a mattress instead of re-invested in the team and we start the season a gazillion dollars below the salary cap, etc. And it's all because budget decisions override football ones when Russ is in charge.

you're making assumptions

swiper
07-28-2015, 11:29 AM
The Sabres (read Pegulas) move from one yes man to a bigger yes man.

Who suffers? Buffalo sports fans.

Joe Fo Sho
07-28-2015, 11:45 AM
Russ has never worked with an owner with as deep pockets as the Pegulas have. He's also not in charge of hockey/football operations so I don't know what everyone is so up in arms about. I'm willing to at least give the guy a chance before I set my pitchfork on fire.

OpIv37
07-28-2015, 12:01 PM
Russ has never worked with an owner with as deep pockets as the Pegulas have. He's also not in charge of hockey/football operations so I don't know what everyone is so up in arms about. I'm willing to at least give the guy a chance before I set my pitchfork on fire.

Yeah, didn't we all say "Give Darcy a chance with Pegula as the owner?" How'd that work out?

Joe Fo Sho
07-28-2015, 12:41 PM
Yeah, didn't we all say "Give Darcy a chance with Pegula as the owner?" How'd that work out?

I don't follow the Sabres enough to comment on them, but I know that 1 bad hire does not mean the next hire is going to be just as bad.

Besides, Russ is President of the Sabres not the GM. They are different roles. Just as he's no longer making football decisions for the Bills.

THATHURMANATOR
07-28-2015, 02:12 PM
People who are equating this to any results on the field are complete MORONS.

Brandon has been amazing at his job. Marketing the teams. The Bills continued to fill the seats for the last 15 years of a **** team.

He was completely out of his element when Ralph made him GM. What was he supposed to do though? Ralph asked him to do it and he did it.

I find it so comical that so many people act as if Brandon is bad at his job. He is probably one of the best at what he does in all of sports.

No one, including Brandon himself, wants him involved with personal decisions and he won't be for either team.

OpIv37
07-28-2015, 02:16 PM
Are we forgetting something? Russ equals Ralph. That's why Ralph trusted Russ to run the team once his health failed him.

Bottom line first. Winning second.

Joe Fo Sho
07-28-2015, 03:02 PM
Are we forgetting something? Russ equals Ralph. That's why Ralph trusted Russ to run the team once his health failed him.

Bottom line first. Winning second.

Since Pegula took over, what has Russ done that makes you think he's "Ralph?"

THATHURMANATOR
07-28-2015, 03:12 PM

Exactly

such a stupid comparison. Pegula has proven to be the polar opposite of Ralph in that regard. Willing to do and pay whatever it takes for the teams to win.

OpIv37
07-28-2015, 03:12 PM

I'm talking about before Pegula. Brandon ran the team for the last few years because Ralph was too sickly, and he ran it just like Ralph did.

justasportsfan
07-28-2015, 06:35 PM

Brandon has been amazing at his job. Marketing the teams. The Bills continued to fill the seats for the last 15 years of a **** team.

He was completely out of his element when Ralph made him GM. What was he supposed to do though? Ralph asked him to do it and he did it.

I find it so comical that so many people act as if Brandon is bad at his job. He is probably one of the best at what he does in all of sports.

No one, including Brandon himself, wants him involved with personal decisions and he won't be for either team.

You are right, Opiv is wrong again.

Mace
07-28-2015, 07:19 PM
I really don't like Brandon. Happy himbo's that spout trendy catchphrases aggravate me, saw too many in my day. That said, he managed to sell the Bills without fools embracing a tank brought on by incompetence pretended as planning. Keep him being a happy himbo on the business side wearing the appropriate cap and gladhanding and all is well. At least you'll buy your crap, eat it, know it's crap, hate him, and feel better in the morning knowing you'll tolerate a goof with a decent marketing mind as opposed to being fooled into believing you're tolerating a solid guy without a clue who convinced you to believe he was smarter than he was by actually getting you to root against a team you love and buy their stuff anyway, and thinking you were all the better for it.

OpIv37
07-28-2015, 08:50 PM

What was he supposed to do? Grow a pair and say "I can run the business side but I'm not qualified to run the football side. Why don't we interview these people?"

But Ralph and Russ value the bottom dollar more than winning, and Russ is the quintessential corporate yes-man.

Gotta love the homerism on this board. The team struggles: "clean house! Fire everyone! How is Brandon still employed?!?!?" Pegula puts Brandon in charge of the Bills and the Sabres: "well he's great at marketing and the struggles weren't really his fault."

I'll give you that he's good at marketing. He has all the usual automatons drinking his kool aid. Again.

Joe Fo Sho
07-29-2015, 06:13 AM
I'm talking about before Pegula. Brandon ran the team for the last few years because Ralph was too sickly, and he ran it just like Ralph did.

You mean he ran it according to the guidelines Ralph put in place.

DraftBoy
07-29-2015, 04:53 PM

What specifically was he supposed to do differently? It wasn't like Ralph handed the guy a checkbook and said spend whatever you want to make the team better. A lot of the hate directed at Brandon is done without any actual idea of what he was or wasn't allowed to do during his time as GM.

Mace
07-29-2015, 08:02 PM
What specifically was he supposed to do differently? It wasn't like Ralph handed the guy a checkbook and said spend whatever you want to make the team better. A lot of the hate directed at Brandon is done without any actual idea of what he was or wasn't allowed to do during his time as GM.

Everything I ever read said he was a figurehead guy. Only reason he aggravated me in that capacity even was his facetime gladhanding in the preseason then disappearing when trouble started. "Gee whiz guys this is so cool, whoop, have to go hide."

I don't think he ever really did anything football related but show up for the cameras to wear the hat though, or at the least never saw any source claim he did besides irritated fans on message boards.

OpIv37
07-29-2015, 09:31 PM

Ok.

So, we don't know. He may have been responsible for a lot of it, he may have been responsible for very little of it. But as a fan, are you willing to take that chance? I'm not.

BuffaloRedleg
07-29-2015, 09:52 PM
Brandon has been pretty much just as bad as every other talent evaluator we've had since the early 90s. One of those people was Marv Levy if you don't remember (I'd argue he was worse).

Jesus Christ chill out people I don't love it but it isn't the end of the world you babies.

OpIv37
07-29-2015, 10:37 PM
Brandon has been pretty much just as bad as every other talent evaluator we've had since the early 90s. One of those people was Marv Levy if you don't remember (I'd argue he was worse).

Jesus Christ chill out people I don't love it but it isn't the end of the world you babies.

Status quo is the end of the world because facts are facts and we all know what has happened on the field. Brandon is the embodiment of status quo.

DraftBoy
07-30-2015, 05:36 AM
Ok.

So, we don't know. He may have been responsible for a lot of it, he may have been responsible for very little of it. But as a fan, are you willing to take that chance? I'm not.

Yes, because the stuff we do know he was responsible for he was very successful with.

Hell look at what many consider to be his biggest issue, the sale of one Bills game a year to Toronto. Fans emotionally point to the fact that the games did crap in attendance and the environment sucked. I look at from the angle that the Bills made a **** ton of money and basically disproved the theory that there was a ready and willing fan base in Toronto for this team.

My only legitimate gripe with Brandon is that I think his coaching hires have been poor. In those situations he needed to defer the responsibility out because he's too marketing/business focused. Marrone was hired because he's a local guy who had good success and brought a feel good local angle. Rex was hired because he was the biggest name out there. Neither are legitimate reasons to hire either coach imo. That is an issue.

Joe Fo Sho
07-30-2015, 06:33 AM
Yes, because the stuff we do know he was responsible for he was very successful with.

Hell look at what many consider to be his biggest issue, the sale of one Bills game a year to Toronto. Fans emotionally point to the fact that the games did crap in attendance and the environment sucked. I look at from the angle that the Bills made a **** ton of money and basically disproved the theory that there was a ready and willing fan base in Toronto for this team.

That's a good point. What we do know is that Russ was in charge of marketing and that he did a great job at that. Nobody really knows the extent of what he was allowed to do when it came to coaching/personnel hires. I think we're all agreed that it's best he's not in charge of that anymore.

If the Bills were able to stay in Buffalo even partly because of the decisions Russ made and the programs that he put in place (Toronto Series), then he deserves at least an ounce of credit.

My only legitimate gripe with Brandon is that I think his coaching hires have been poor. In those situations he needed to defer the responsibility out because he's too marketing/business focused. Marrone was hired because he's a local guy who had good success and brought a feel good local angle. Rex was hired because he was the biggest name out there. Neither are legitimate reasons to hire either coach imo. That is an issue.

There were more reasons to hire Rex than just because he was the biggest name out there. There are also a bunch of reasons not to hire Rex, but I get your point. If these first set of hires that have happened since the change of ownership fail, then I'm putting that on Pegula not Russ.

justasportsfan
07-30-2015, 06:40 AM
It's already been determined that Russ won't be making any football/hockey decisions which means he will be marketing the team where OP admitted he is very good at yet he says he's not willing to take a chance? What is he whining about?

better days
07-30-2015, 06:57 AM
That's a good point. What we do know is that Russ was in charge of marketing and that he did a great job at that. Nobody really knows the extent of what he was allowed to do when it came to coaching/personnel hires. I think we're all agreed that it's best he's not in charge of that anymore.

If the Bills were able to stay in Buffalo even partly because of the decisions Russ made and the programs that he put in place (Toronto Series), then he deserves at least an ounce of credit.

There were more reasons to hire Rex than just because he was the biggest name out there. There are also a bunch of reasons not to hire Rex, but I get your point. If these first set of hires that have happened since the change of ownership fail, then I'm putting that on Pegula not Russ.

I'm sure Russ was WOWED by Rex just as the Pegula's were, but make no mistake about it, the decision to hire Rex was made by the Pegula's for better or worse.

Here is hopping for the better. better days ahead.

OpIv37
07-30-2015, 08:51 AM
It's already been determined that Russ won't be making any football/hockey decisions which means he will be marketing the team where OP admitted he is very good at yet he says he's not willing to take a chance? What is he whining about?

Someone with blood on their hands for this team's poor performance is being rewarded and given the chance to interfere with the city's only other major sports franchise.

And the Sabres already have good marketing. They don't need him.

THATHURMANATOR
07-30-2015, 09:13 AM
Ok.

Take what chance?

He is clearly involved in 0% of the on field product for either team and will continue to be.

Please explain what you are talking about.

THATHURMANATOR
07-30-2015, 09:16 AM
Someone with blood on their hands for this team's poor performance is being rewarded and given the chance to interfere with the city's only other major sports franchise.

He was rewarded for doing an amazing job at what he is currently hired to do for the Bills and will be doing for the Sabres.

What about this don't you understand?

Apparently the Sabres hockey operations were a mess, according to Paul Hamilton, and other inside sources. The Bills operations were clearly running very well and Pegula decided to upgrade the Sabres side as well.

justasportsfan
07-30-2015, 09:26 AM

I get accused by you for not being able to make distinctions and yet you cannot make a very simple distiction between corporate and football decisions?

I'm nopt sure if we can dumb this further for you but here goes..... Russ is NOT making football/hockey personnel decisions. Whaley/Murray are. He's making corporate decisions.

He is being rewarded for being able to sell a crappy product. If you cannot grasp how valuable a person like that it to ANY business, then I have nothing for you.

Even if Sabres have a great marketing team, you still look for ways to get better. Wasn't it your opinion that it's stupid for bills fans to be content with " good enough"? Look who's guilty of doing the same thing now.

Selling 97% is nothing when you can sell 100% every year. It would be great if you have a waiting list for season ticket holders which the sabres have not achieved.

Stop settling for mediocrity OPiv .

BuffaloRedleg
07-30-2015, 09:34 AM
Status quo is the end of the world because facts are facts and we all know what has happened on the field. Brandon is the embodiment of status quo.

Ok well I'm not going to get too involved in this 5 page thread of discussion equal to my uncle's facebook feed about whether Obama is a Muslim, but come on.

I know he is symbolic of a lot of the frustration of Bills fans, but I think we've lumped enough on him. We can't even unequivocally agree on what he has been responsible for that is so bad (or is entirely his fault).

Just read this:

Yet the leadership change for the Pegulas highlights how Brandon continues to move away from the football operations of the Bills, where decisions are now made solely by general manager Doug Whaley and coach Rex Ryan, who report directly to the Pegulas.

"So I think this really delineates really more, in concrete, that we have a hockey department with [Sabres general manager] Tim [Murray] and Coach [Dan Bylsma], we have a football department with Doug and Coach [Ryan], and now we have a business department that I oversee: the business and culture within both organizations."

"I know that I take some heat there, and understandably so. I understand why," Brandon said. "But that gets a little bit overblown on that front. There's collaboration in every organization. There were times when I was filling a void within the structure of our organization at times.
"That ended when Buddy [Nix] took over [as general manager, in 2010]. Buddy was in charge of football, period. And when we transitioned into [Doug Whaley], he's in charge of football, period.

"But they have full autonomy, Doug Whaley and Coach [Ryan] and Tim Murray and Coach [Bylsma]. They have full autonomy to run their departments, and they report to the owner. And that's the way it should be."

Nothing here shows anything that I should be worried about as a Bills or Sabres fan. He's just heading that new synergized One Buffalo concept basically, which is fine. I only care about the product on the field/Ice.

Listen, I know what the rebuttal is. How can we trust him? He's a snake oil salesman. If that is your response then you will never be convinced, because all we have in this world is the facts before us and we can't actually get into his sneaky brain that is secretly going to try to ruin our sports teams. That is basically internet discourse these days and whatever if you want to use emotion as a basis for your argument that is your right in this new internet age.

I for one don't give a **** if they put Fred Flinstone as their director of business operations. As long as he isn't making personnel decisions it doesn't matter to me at all. He tried and failed to get involved in personnel decisions, that happens in life. It's not like he is an evil or bad person, you guys act like he is some megavillain in a damn movie. Now he doesn't participate in that aspect of the teams anymore. Why people have a personal vendetta against him is beyond me. If you have some sort of bone to pick with Brandon then I recommend you let it go, you'll live a lot longer.

http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/19647/russ-brandon-continues-transition-away-from-bills-football-decisions

better days
07-30-2015, 10:41 AM

Since the Pegula's own both the Bills & the Sabres, it is only logical to have one person run the business of both.

It will be much easier for one person to market both teams with the left hand knowing what the right hand is doing.

And Buffalo is not the only place to do this.

For example, in New Orleans, the same person runs both the Saints & the NBA Basketball team for the owner of both teams.

Famous Amos
07-30-2015, 03:46 PM
on the other side of the coin, does Russ Brandon get any credit for the iron clad stadium lease between the county the Bills and to a lesser extent the NFL?

I don't like the fact that he's been here for all of the losing. I don't like it that, despite his marketing genius and the world's greatest fans, we still had blackouts through his tenure. I certainly hated and reviled the Toronto ****show, lackluster GM and head coach hires, and the awful 2000 era uniforms. His product was unenjoyable to say the least. But I kept watching not because of what was going on currently, but the anticipation and hope of what to come was going to be better than what we had.

He get's a big fat meh from me.

trapezeus
07-30-2015, 04:19 PM
yes, he gets credit for the last lease because that was solid. i said it at the time. i just don't think marketing football in buffalo is a thing. the nfl exploded in the90's. most teams got the benefit from this increase in popularity. buffalo wasn't ho hum on the team before brandon.

and as ralph aged, we felt like we had to keep our tickets to keep the team, regardless of the performance. he had a set of circumstances that made it ideal to do nothing and make money.

and when it wasn't going his way he trotted out his "its hard to be viable." He's darcy reiger. people were afraid to move from him because he was here so long. and we were told he was so great with everything that he'd be scooped up immediately. he languished for a while and was picked up by a team that doesn't have a fan base and was competing to be the worst with us.

Brandon doesn't get picked up in the same role if he got canned. bills and sabres tickets sell without him. He's the court jester and the kings and queens have been amused. the rest of the populace other than aspiring jesters find him mostly useless.

OpIv37
07-30-2015, 04:47 PM
Take what chance?

He is clearly involved in 0% of the on field product for either team and will continue to be.

Please explain what you are talking about.

He was GM for two years so don't tell me he was never involved in the on the field product.

And even when he supposedly wasn't responsble for football decisions, a) he held the purse strings for those who were and b) we don't know how much he meddled.

Once again, not a chance worth taking, especially since the sabres already have good marketing.

OpIv37
07-30-2015, 04:49 PM
I get accused by you for not being able to make distinctions and yet you cannot make a very simple distiction between corporate and football decisions?

I'm nopt sure if we can dumb this further for you but here goes..... Russ is NOT making football/hockey personnel decisions. Whaley/Murray are. He's making corporate decisions.

He is being rewarded for being able to sell a crappy product. If you cannot grasp how valuable a person like that it to ANY business, then I have nothing for you.

Even if Sabres have a great marketing team, you still look for ways to get better. Wasn't it your opinion that it's stupid for bills fans to be content with " good enough"? Look who's guilty of doing the same thing now.

Selling 97% is nothing when you can sell 100% every year. It would be great if you have a waiting list for season ticket holders which the sabres have not achieved.

Stop settling for mediocrity OPiv .

No one can sell 100% of the tickets on a last place team.

JoeMama
07-30-2015, 08:19 PM
Look, Thurmanator, I think the consensus here isn't that Russ Brandon is a bad marketing/advertising guru. He's obviously has a sharp mind for that. Just like all great snake oil salesmen, he can hype anything if he can get the fans stoked year in year out for a franchise that hasn't made the playoffs since the 1990s. He could sell ice to an Inuit if he was of a mind to.

We're just expressing our immense gratitude that he won't have a role in actual personnel decisions or oversight of involvement in decision making that affects the product on the field. Because he was one hell of a failure when he assumed those roles.

Let the man do what he does best, but not a single thing more.

And that's what's happening, so all's well ends well.

OpIv37
07-30-2015, 08:58 PM
Oh and that's the other thing.

Maybe Russ truly has nothing to do with football/hockey operations. But iif the people who do **** it up, Russ will still get fans to buy tickets and give him a handy as a thank-you for the privilege.

People are seriously defending the guy who got them to drop a **** ton of money on a garbage team. Gotta love the homerism.

better days
07-31-2015, 12:58 AM
yes, he gets credit for the last lease because that was solid. i said it at the time. i just don't think marketing football in buffalo is a thing. the nfl exploded in the90's. most teams got the benefit from this increase in popularity. buffalo wasn't ho hum on the team before brandon.

and as ralph aged, we felt like we had to keep our tickets to keep the team, regardless of the performance. he had a set of circumstances that made it ideal to do nothing and make money.

and when it wasn't going his way he trotted out his "its hard to be viable." He's darcy reiger. people were afraid to move from him because he was here so long. and we were told he was so great with everything that he'd be scooped up immediately. he languished for a while and was picked up by a team that doesn't have a fan base and was competing to be the worst with us.

Brandon doesn't get picked up in the same role if he got canned. bills and sabres tickets sell without him. He's the court jester and the kings and queens have been amused. the rest of the populace other than aspiring jesters find him mostly useless.

Well, if Bills fans did not support the team as they have during the bleak times, who knows if the Pegula's would have bought them when Ralph died?

If the Stadium sat empty on game days, maybe BonJovi & the Toronto carpetbaggers or a group from LA would be the new owners of the Bills & they would be headed for Toronto or LA.

I believe the Pegula's bought the Bills because they saw the passionate fan base in Buffalo that continued to support the Bills & buy tickets despite the lack of success on the field for a long period of time.

DraftBoy
07-31-2015, 05:45 AM

Maybe Russ truly has nothing to do with football/hockey operations. But iif the people who do **** it up, Russ will still get fans to buy tickets and give him a handy as a thank-you for the privilege.

People are seriously defending the guy who got them to drop a **** ton of money on a garbage team. Gotta love the homerism.

Or...maybe people just understand and agree that he's made good business decisions? Just because he got gullible fans to buy products and tickets for a crap team doesn't mean he did something wrong.

You're basically making the point that Bills fans are too stupid to know better.

THATHURMANATOR
07-31-2015, 07:15 AM
He was GM for two years so don't tell me he was never involved in the on the field product.

And even when he supposedly wasn't responsble for football decisions, a) he held the purse strings for those who were and b) we don't know how much he meddled.

Once again, not a chance worth taking, especially since the sabres already have good marketing.

I didn't say he was never involved in the on the field product.

I said he will not be in his current positions.

Clear as day.

justasportsfan
07-31-2015, 08:58 AM

once again , can't make the distinction between business and football operations. Don't you ever accuse me of being unable to make distinctions. I am only defending him from a business perspective.

OpIv37
07-31-2015, 06:08 PM
once again , can't make the distinction between business and football operations. Don't you ever accuse me of being unable to make distinctions. I am only defending him from a business perspective.

They are saying he won't be involved in football decisions. We have no way of knowing if that's true. The only way to guarantee it is to make sure he is not involved with the organization at all.

And once again, you completely missed my point. Russ Brandon duped fans into paying for an inferior product. And if fans are willing to pay for an inferior product, what reason did Ralph have to spend money to improve the product? Because Russ was making him money, Ralph didn't have to shell out for coaches or spend to the cap to entice fans with a good team. Blood on his hands.

When Pegula took over, I advocated a scorched earth policy and I still feel that way. Brandon is a snake oil salesman.

DraftBoy
08-01-2015, 09:12 AM
And once again, you completely missed my point. Russ Brandon duped fans into paying for an inferior product. And if fans are willing to pay for an inferior product, what reason did Ralph have to spend money to improve the product? Because Russ was making him money, Ralph didn't have to shell out for coaches or spend to the cap to entice fans with a good team. Blood on his hands.

Explain again why this was a bad thing from a business perspective?

OpIv37
08-01-2015, 12:41 PM
Explain again why this was a bad thing from a business perspective?

It's not bad from a business perspective. Taking the financial motivation away from winning is bad from a football/hockey perspective. And as fans, the football/hockey perspective is what matters most. From a business perspective, all fans need to worry about is that the team's books are healthy enough that it won't move or fold.

justasportsfan
08-01-2015, 12:53 PM
They are saying he won't be involved in football decisions. We have no way of knowing if that's true. The only way to guarantee it is to make sure he is not involved with the organization at all.

I don't know if it gets any dumber than this. Saying this post is stupid would be a huge compliment

justasportsfan
08-01-2015, 12:56 PM
It's not bad from a business perspective.
Translation: it's not bad from a business perspective which is what he is being hired to do so Im *****ing just to b!tch like always.

OpIv37
08-01-2015, 01:00 PM
Translation: it's not bad from a business perspective which is what he is being hired to do so Im *****ing just to b!tch like always.

From a business perspective, Brandon can make financial decisions that negatively affect the football side. "Cash to cap," remember?

The only way to guarantee he won't **** up football operations is to make sure he's not part of the organization.

OpIv37
08-01-2015, 01:03 PM
From a business perspective, Brandon can make financial decisions that negatively affect the football side. "Cash to cap," remember?

The only way to guarantee he won't **** up football operations is to make sure he's not part of the organization.

Oh and it's not *****ing to point out that a guy who has blood on his hands for a lot of the failure, swindled fans into paying for an inferior product and took away the financial incentive to win is being rewarded with more responsibility.

You claim you want the Bills to win, but then you defend the people responsible for the losing and accuse anyone who criticizes them of "*****ing."

justasportsfan
08-01-2015, 01:06 PM

Pegula said he wants to win a superb bowl and the Stanley cup. If Russ gets in rhe way then I'm pretty sure he's gone. If Russ was the reason why the bills sucked, I'm pretty sure Pegula would have had the inside track and Russ would have been done. Its not hard really. But then again for you it's rocket science.

OpIv37
08-01-2015, 01:09 PM
Pegula said he wants to win a superb bowl and the Stanley cup. If Russ gets in rhe way then I'm pretty sure he's gone. If Russ was the reason why the bills sucked, I'm pretty sure Pegula would have had the inside track and Russ would have been done. Its not hard really. But then again for you it's rocket science.

Why even give him the chance to get in the way? Pegula had the inside track on the Sabres and thought Regier and Ruff could get the job done without Golisano in the way. They couldn't. He's repeating his mistakes.

justasportsfan
08-01-2015, 01:09 PM
Oh and it's not *****ing to point out that a guy who has blood on his hands for a lot of the failure, swindled fans into paying for an inferior product and took away the financial incentive to win is being rewarded with more responsibility.

You claim you want the Bills to win, but then you defend the people responsible for the losing and accuse anyone who criticizes them of "*****ing."

Pegula is so stupid. He most likely asked around about Russ and what went on . He should have asked a whiny poster on BZ for inside information instead who knows the real truth.

justasportsfan
08-01-2015, 01:12 PM
Why even give him the chance to get in the way? Pegula had the inside track on the Sabres and thought Regier and Ruff could get the job done without Golisano in the way. They couldn't. He's repeating his mistakes.

Still can't make the distinction between business and sports operation. Talking to a rock would be better.

OpIv37
08-01-2015, 03:33 PM
Still can't make the distinction between business and sports operation. Talking to a rock would be better.

We've already covered this and you ignored it. First, his financial decisions can and do affect sports operations. Second, they can say his role is limited to the business side but we have no idea what actually happens behind closed doors.

The only way to be sure he doesn't **** things up on the field/ice, whether through direct involvement or some "cash to cap" type financial nonsense, is to make sure he is not associated with the organization.

Those who defend the people responsible for the losing deserve the losing.

Mace
08-01-2015, 07:20 PM

You're sort of saying he was responsible and even if he wasn't...so you aren't really committed to either point just dislike the guy like even I do, though I'll happily tell you he wasn't involved in the on the field product. You have to remember Tom Modrak. Brandon was smile facetime business guy, Modrak/Overdorf/Jauron were football decisions.

Oh how I really don't want to dig up the links again because I've posted them so many times over and over through the years and like people just want to ignore them beyond all reason anyway because it's just what they want to believe.

Brandon was a figurehead and focal point gladhanding facetiming cap wearing schmoozer, who did business stuff. You can argue his business skill, but he never did football stuff. Recent Bills articles even admit he was a figurehead "GM", that was Wilson trying to avoid another Donahoe and make a focal point.

Better the himbo Brandon than the oily Black. Brandon can at least look stupid on his own merit for looking stupid where Black would instead convince you you are stupid for not seeing his clever "success by being an incompetent bumpkin" methodology.

Just watch. You'll see Brandon at facetime events and not hear much about him otherwise anymore. If he convinces Pegula of anything stupid, we can look at it again, but I'm guessing the people in place in both organizations, being strong personalities, will have more than enough opportunity to achieve their own level of stupid without Brandon being much of a factor unless he thinks to replace wings and beer with fondue and white wine at the concession stands.