Buffalo Bills Training Camp Report: 8/1/2015 (And Photos)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Michael82
    • Jul 2002

Buffalo Bills Training Camp Report: 8/1/2015 (And Photos)

It was Day 2 of Buffalo Bills at St. John Fisher College. With Rex Ryan as head coach and LeSean McCoy as the starting running back, things are definitely more interesting. There's a lot of buzz around the area as the fans cheer for Sammy Watkins big catches and watch in awe as McCoy shows off his elusive style. As usual, the team started out with their stretching and then individual work, they also did some special teams drills and 7-on-7s. But for the 11-on-11 drills, Rex Ryan does things a little different than his predecessor. Instead of having all 4 quarterbacks take reps on the same part of the field, he separates them. Two quarterbacks work with the starting unit and the other two work with the backup or 3rd string unit. Today it was EJ Manuel's turn to share starting reps with Matt Cassel.

Some of the players came out of the tunnel a little early, but by 10:00 AM, all of them were on the field and stretching. The players then separated as the linemen and some other defensive players jogged over to the second grass field, while the special teams unit worked on kickoff returns and coverage. There were 2 kick "returners" that caught the ball from the jugs machine (Marcus Thigpen and Tobias Palmer). Thigpen did a good job catching them, except for one bobble and showed his speed returning them up the field a bit, but Palmer fumbled one of his. Following the special teams drills, the rest of the defense left to head to the second field to work on individual drills. The offense stayed behind and the QBs worked on handing off the ball to the running backs, while the receivers worked on their routes. After a while, the quarterbacks came together with the receivers and had the DBs defending them as they worked 1-on-1.

During the 1-on-1 drills, the plays are coming out very quickly. I noted a few things that caught my eye during the 1-on-1's. Ronald Darby make a nice pass breakup on a pass from Matt Cassel to Robert Woods. Tyrod Taylor overthrew Marquise Goodwin and he also threw a ball to Chris Hogan that was intercepted by Ross Cockrell. Cassel also threw a beautiful 50 yard pass to Goodwin, but he dropped it. EJ Manuel threw a pretty looking 50-yard touchdown to Robert Woods that was right where it needed to be and got a loud ovation. Manuel also threw a nice pass to Chris Hogan and it looked like he caught it, but the refs ruled it incomplete. Marcus Easley also dropped one of Cassel's passes.

Following the 1-on-1's, the team went to work on the 11-on-11 drills. I watched the side of the field with the starters that both Matt Cassel and EJ Manuel ran with. Matt Cassel started it off with a pass to Sammy Watkins, but Ronald Darby was all over him and it would've been a penalty. LeSean McCoy then got the ball and exploded up the middle for 9-yards. Cassel then overthrew Percy Harvin and followed that with a screen to Matthew Mulligan for 4-yards. Boobie Dixon got the ball next and ran behind the left tackle for 6-yards. EJ Manuel was next up and overthrew Harvin. He then went back to Harvin, but he dropped the ball. On the next play, EJ threw a bullet to Sammy Watkins, who couldn't hold on. The ball was thrown way too hard. Manuel then continued his terrible run by overthrowing Chris Hogan. On the final play of the drill, Manuel tried connecting with Marquise Goodwin, but Ronald Darby had great coverage on him..... CLICK FOR MORE:
  • Michael82
    • Jul 2002

Re: Buffalo Bills Training Camp Report: 8/1/2015 (And Photos)

Here's some of the photos....

Mikey82_photos's 08-01-15 Saturday Morning album on Photobucket

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
      • Feb 2005

Thanks Mike...

I'm pretty sure EJ is trying to get away from the dart throwing motion on short passes... Thus the gunning it.

Comment

• Michael82
        • Jul 2002

Thanks! Yeah I was wondering if he was changing something

Comment

• SeatownBillsFan21
          • Mar 2004

Thanks for this much appreciated

Comment

• Night Train
            Retired - On Several Levels
            • Jul 2005

Awesome report, as always.

Glad to hear the run blocking is good. If they continue to struggle in pass blocking, then Taylor will be the QB by default.
            Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• The last buffalo fan
              I told the pet store guy "How else am I supposed to get the mouse out of my ass?"
              • Sep 2004

Gracias Mikey, awesome job, as usual!
              The Mexican & too!!

- Adriano & Emiliano, the next Villa & Zapata. Viva Mexico, cabrones!!! -

Comment

Working...
              X