PDA

View Full Version : At Camp Thursday and Today

Night Train
08-07-2015, 04:54 PM
Brief observations.

McCoy - He looks outstanding. They should hide him until Sept. Hits the hole fast and makes multiple moves to get by tacklers. My God, did he look good. Fred was hurt and may miss 2 weeks. Rookie Williams is quick for a big guy.

Secondary covers very well. Darby was a wise selection Combine that with our talent and depth in the Front 7 and this could be a big year for the D. Multiple looks will confuse the opposing O.

Harvin,Watkins sat Friday, which allowed Woods and Hogan to both shine. Woods is a stud. Goodwin caught some deep balls.

Watching drills with the TE's. Clay and O'Leary catch everything.

OL - couldn't get a read on pass protection but holes were opened in the running game. Encouraging.

QB's - for these 2 sessions, Taylor was the best. He's the most accurate and the only QB who can hit the long ball more often than not. Hit several receivers in stride on fly patterns deep. Cassel was cold more often than not. Manuel throws some very nice balls and then follows that all too often with ducks when he's obviously trying to aim the ball and starring down the receiver. You want to embrace his ability and then he throws a bad one or 2.

If we can get anything out of the QB position, we got something. On to the scrimmage tomorrow and the pre-season games.

swiper
08-07-2015, 05:52 PM
It sounded to me like they were giving McCoy an unusual number of rest days. That's fine by me. I agree with hiding him until the season starts.

BillsImpossible
08-07-2015, 06:24 PM
I wouldn't mind if McCoy sat out every preseason game with a pinky toe, "injury."

Rex has a soft spot for pinky toe boo boos.

EJ Manuel and Tyrod Taylor have been playing better lately.

Cassel is Cassel, like a flat black line, no highs, no lows, just a flat black line called mediocre.

Taylor has been getting better in every practice, cutting down on mistakes and making big plays with his feet.

Manuel has strung together two solid practices, but he still makes throws that make people Tweet, "WTF?" and he has not demonstrated the ability to make plays with his feet. He's still reluctant to run, which is interesting.

Taylor was running all over SJF the first 3 or 4 practices, but now he's been making plays with accurate passes and relying less on his feet.

Sounds like the offense is starting to come together.

Perfect timing for a controlled scrimmage tomorrow night.

Parzival
08-07-2015, 08:36 PM
Nice write up. God I wish we had a solid QB.

better days
08-07-2015, 08:55 PM
I wouldn't mind if McCoy sat out every preseason game with a pinky toe, "injury."

Rex has a soft spot for pinky toe boo boos.

EJ Manuel and Tyrod Taylor have been playing better lately.

Cassel is Cassel, like a flat black line, no highs, no lows, just a flat black line called mediocre.

Taylor has been getting better in every practice, cutting down on mistakes and making big plays with his feet.

Manuel has strung together two solid practices, but he still makes throws that make people Tweet, "WTF?" and he has not demonstrated the ability to make plays with his feet. He's still reluctant to run, which is interesting.

Taylor was running all over SJF the first 3 or 4 practices, but now he's been making plays with accurate passes and relying less on his feet.

Sounds like the offense is starting to come together.

Perfect timing for a controlled scrimmage tomorrow night.

And Matt Simms has been throwing the ball well, from what I have gathered.

I expect him to make the PS at the least.

sudzy
08-08-2015, 05:30 AM
Brief observations.

McCoy - He looks outstanding. They should hide him until Sept. Hits the hole fast and makes multiple moves to get by tacklers. My God, did he look good. Fred was hurt and may miss 2 weeks. Rookie Williams is quick for a big guy.

Secondary covers very well. Darby was a wise selection Combine that with our talent and depth in the Front 7 and this could be a big year for the D. Multiple looks will confuse the opposing O.

Harvin,Watkins sat Friday, which allowed Woods and Hogan to both shine. Woods is a stud. Goodwin caught some deep balls.

Watching drills with the TE's. Clay and O'Leary catch everything.

OL - couldn't get a read on pass protection but holes were opened in the running game. Encouraging.

QB's - for these 2 sessions, Taylor was the best. He's the most accurate and the only QB who can hit the long ball more often than not. Hit several receivers in stride on fly patterns deep. Cassel was cold more often than not. Manuel throws some very nice balls and then follows that all too often with ducks when he's obviously trying to aim the ball and starring down the receiver. You want to embrace his ability and then he throws a bad one or 2.

If we can get anything out of the QB position, we got something. On to the scrimmage tomorrow and the pre-season games.

Thanks for the report.
It's a catch 22 with Shady. I understand wanting to protect McCoy from getting hurt. But, you need to get him into top football shape. They will need him to be near the top in the NFL in touches, if they have any chance on offense.
I am cautiously optimistic on Darby. I remember thinking Gilmore was the real deal after his rookie year.
WRs aren't the problem, the guy throwing them the ball is.
About the OL, that goes with everything I've read. Run Blocking- great. Pass Blocking- not so much. See point #1, McCoy will need to get a lot of carries.
I am really encouraged that you said Taylor was hitting the long ball. That was the one thing I've been reading that he was lacking. More mobile, more accurate and can hit the long ball. What are the Bills waiting for? Name him the starter.

better days
08-08-2015, 05:38 AM
Thanks for the report.
It's a catch 22 with Shady. I understand wanting to protect McCoy from getting hurt. But, you need to get him into top football shape. They will need him to be near the top in the NFL in touches, if they have any chance on offense.
I am cautiously optimistic on Darby. I remember thinking Gilmore was the real deal after his rookie year.
WRs aren't the problem, the guy throwing them the ball is.
About the OL, that goes with everything I've read. Run Blocking- great. Pass Blocking- not so much. See point #1, McCoy will need to get a lot of carries.
I am really encouraged that you said Taylor was hitting the long ball. That was the one thing I've been reading that he was lacking. More mobile, more accurate and can hit the long ball. What are the Bills waiting for? Name him the starter.

I think Rex wants to keep the Colts guessing who the starter will be.

But Rex said the Bills did not sign Mike Vick because he did not think Vick had the arm to play in Buffalo.

Well, I doubt Cassel has the arm to play in Buffalo either.

Night Train
08-08-2015, 07:55 AM
My thinking is this. If they plan on running the ball heavy with McCoy and others, then putting Taylor in isn't much of a risk. The idea was game manager with preventing turnovers...but Cassel is missing receivers and cannot move. Manuel is a tease and still throws several bad ones that miss or can be picked off. He holds the ball too long.

Taylor was placing the ball best and is the only QB on the roster who can hit the deep ball. Throw in the fact his mobility is 2nd to none and you have a guy who can keep plays alive and has the most upside.

I realize the pre-season games haven't started and it could be a different story once the bullets fly.. but Taylor seems very poised and confident to start. I would think he fits the Roman profile and would be the hardest QB to defense. He doesn't just make 1 read and run. He stops and resets himself, looking for the big play downfield. His college film showed that aspect. Seems like a bright kid.

I could see the Bills keeping Goodwin if Taylor starts since he's finding Goodwin a lot He's just blowing by CB's and the other Qb's can't get him the ball. Don't ever eliminate the big play. We've had way too many coaches playing not to lose.

New era. Do it different.

I'm a little surprised they didn't look at Simms more but at practice, they used him like a 4th QB. He's got a strong arm.