We've got a QB concern... The draft. Who do you want?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

We've got a QB concern... The draft. Who do you want?

Whaleys comments on the subject are pretty clear. He expects us to be picking at 20-32. I think that's possible but what's almost a lock is that we wont be picking in the top 10. That means the scouts will need to nail the next draft pick. The team is right there on talent. They need the playoff caliber QB to put them over the hump.

It's early and the college football season is upon us. So it's about time to start watching the potential prospects.

If we pick outside of the top 10, who do you like? Who don't you want?

I think Connor Cook and Christian Hackenberg could go in the top 10.

If those guys are out of the picture here's who I like and don't like:

Like:
    Jared Goff, Cal
    Cody Kessler, USC
    Kevin Hogan, Stanford

Don't want:
    Cardale Jones, Ohio State- Has never impressed me
    Dak Prescott, Miss St- A guy that just seems to be lacking fundamental QB skills but is relying on athleticism

• Yasgur's Farm
    • Feb 2005

Re: We've got a QB concern... The draft. Who do you want?

My opinion... Draft won't solve QB problem for at least the next 3 years.
    My plan of attack... Dump Cassel and go with EJ and Tyrod for as long as it takes.
    Meanwhile... See if we can make a high profile acquisition (Rivers) and draft aggressively.

What are the alternatives? Go with Cassel and achieve roughly the same results? Id rather we go with the young'uns and hope for the best.

Comment

• Mace
      Haha...yeah you think so ?
      • Mar 2013

Agree with Yasgur for the most part though you never know what talent will stand out at a possible pick slot.

The question as is, assuming no injuries and status quo, Kessler is interesting as a game manager type if smallish, Towles from Kentucky has some upside and potential and could be interesting if a big maybe and he comes out, Goff has potential, wouldn't go near another Stanford passer in Hogan, gives me the Trent Edwards creeps.

To me at this point it looks like 2014-2013 "meh & maybe projects" quality.

Comment

• WagonCircler
        Escaped Convict
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm View Post
        My opinion... Draft won't solve QB problem for at least the next 3 years.
        My plan of attack... Dump Cassel and go with EJ .
        That'll definitely ensure that we draft first overall the following year.

Comment

• Mace
          • Mar 2013

Originally posted by WagonCircler View Post
          That'll definitely ensure that we draft first overall the following year.
          I just don't see it coming close any time soon, even if they start Simms inexplicably. The defense is too good, we're looking and middlin' and more middlin' unless someone shines.

Comment

• WagonCircler
            Escaped Convict
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mace View Post
            I just don't see it coming close any time soon, even if they start Simms inexplicably. The defense is too good, we're looking and middlin' and more middlin' unless someone shines.
            Then you trade multiple picks to get into the top ten. The idiot in charge pissed away an extra #1 on a WR, when he could have had one who's just as good without pissing it away. This is a situation where you DO trade an extra #1.

Starting EJ is pissing away a season.

Comment

• Mace
              • Mar 2013

Originally posted by WagonCircler View Post
              Then you trade multiple picks to get into the top ten. The idiot in charge pissed away an extra #1 on a WR, when he could have had one who's just as good without pissing it away. This is a situation where you DO trade an extra #1.

Starting EJ is pissing away a season.
              Arguably, starting anyone is pissing away a season, hombre, but someone has to.

Comment

• MillsapsBillsFan
                • Mar 2015

I think you sell the draft next year and get one of the top 2 qb's next year. If they can do it without trading picks for multiple years, do it. This team is just a QB away but at the same time we can't give up years and years of firsts to get one

Comment

• jamze132
                  • Jun 2003

I say cut Cassell and ride with EJ till the wheels fall off.

Comment

• Mace
                    • Mar 2013

Originally posted by MillsapsBillsFan View Post
                    I think you sell the draft next year and get one of the top 2 qb's next year. If they can do it without trading picks for multiple years, do it. This team is just a QB away but at the same time we can't give up years and years of firsts to get one
                    See, that bugs me, people figure tank is now acceptable and the way to go. It gets ingrained, it's an excuse to stink, we've done this a long time, it's not acceptable.

Comment

• YardRat
                      Well, lookie here...
                      • Dec 2004

I will guarantee that somebody that no one has mentioned yet and isn't even on the radar will rise up throughout the college season and become the hot 'next big thing'.
                      YardRat Wall of Fame
                      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• DraftBoy
                        Administrator
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                        I will guarantee that somebody that no one has mentioned yet and isn't even on the radar will rise up throughout the college season and become the hot 'next big thing'.
                        Define not even on the radar.

I've given you 102 Senior QB prospects to watch already:
                        Follow your favorite college teams and pro prospects. Join our crew of draft gurus and follow the NFL Draft here!
                        COMING SOON...
                        Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                        We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• DraftBoy
                          Administrator
                          • Jul 2002

Oh and to the thread if nobody emerges at all you go all in and go get Connor Cook. He's the most pro ready guy whose played in a pro style system. He's got the arm, is more athletic than most think, and shows plenty of pocket poise and moxy with his anticipation.
                          COMING SOON...
                          Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                          We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                            Peterman Sucks!
                            • Mar 2006

This is all really moot by the way...

This team will be between the 18th and 20th draft pick, too far out to get a QB and won't have enough assets to move up to get the "right" QB. Unless we're talking they're giving up their first 3 picks and their 1st rounder in 2017.

ie...Connor Cook, Cardale Jones, next big thing whomever that ends up being are gonna be completely out of the discussion.

Comment

• USC_Gamecock
                              • Sep 2004

This season, gotta go with Tyrod.

Yep, I said it ...

Comment

Working...
                              X