PDA

View Full Version : Aldon Smith Anyone?

Mike
08-11-2015, 01:25 AM
Just cut by SF and he's clearly one of the best rushing LB/DE in the NFL (42 sacks in 43 starts).

He has his issues and he can be had for dirt cheap. Maybe an incentive laden contract that takes possible suspensions into account. If he works out, could be trade bait.

Low Risk & High Reward

Topas
08-11-2015, 02:00 AM
I think we are set with regard to guys that get their second chance with us. Incognito etc.
I am all for giving guys a second chance, but you need to make sure that you have enough guys left that are still on their first chance (Freddy, Kyle etc) that kick the second chance guys their asses in case they are still being idiots.

Mahdi
08-11-2015, 07:18 AM
I would take him.

He is young and is making mistakes but I say take a chance on him and maybe he turns things around and ends up being a star for the Bills.

Ingtar33
08-11-2015, 07:44 AM
Just cut by SF and he's clearly one of the best rushing LB/DE in the NFL (42 sacks in 43 starts).

He has his issues and he can be had for dirt cheap. Maybe an incentive laden contract that takes possible suspensions into account. If he works out, could be trade bait.

Low Risk & High Reward

he's actually a high risk player. this is a guy with 5 DUIs in the last 3 years, and is facing a year long suspension at the moment. i suspect he's done for the year. This is a guy with a serious alcohol issue. I mean i'm all for it if you take his issues seriously and get him the help he needs. as well as signing him knowing he'll sit for the season. he's a complete reclimation project, and he won't help us this season.

knowing all of that, yes, i'd sign him to a vet min salary and get him into a substance abuse program ASAP.

kscdogbillsfan1221
08-11-2015, 07:53 AM
one thing that we're really weak at right now is pass rushing. i think we need more.

Mahdi
08-11-2015, 08:32 AM
one thing that we're really weak at right now is pass rushing. i think we need more.

Never too many pass rushers.

Imagine if MW or JH went down with injury. The DL production would go down significantly.

Pinkerton Security
08-11-2015, 09:00 AM
Imagine what all the Rex-haters would say if we signed this a-hole - HES LOSING CONTROL OF THE TEAM!!! CRIMINALS EVERYWHERE!!!!

IlluminatusUIUC
08-11-2015, 09:28 AM
Rex has little qualms about acquiring troubled players, but I'm thinking there's more to this story then a simple DUI.

Meathead
08-11-2015, 09:46 AM
http://www.fastfancydress.co.uk/templates/imagedirectory/male%20poly%20head.jpghttps://www.abelcine.com/store/image.php?type=P&id=1000458

Pinkerton Security
08-11-2015, 10:17 AM
http://www.fastfancydress.co.uk/templates/imagedirectory/male%20poly%20head.jpghttps://www.abelcine.com/store/image.php?type=P&id=1000458

huge understatement.

better days
08-11-2015, 10:50 AM
While driving around yesterday, I was listening to the Big Dog on WDAE Tampa.

People were calling in saying the same thing, the Bucs should sign Smith.

I'm sure fans of most if not every team are saying that as well.

The Big Dogs take was Aldon Smith & Greg Hardy will both screw up again, it is just a matter of time.

Bill Cody
08-11-2015, 10:58 AM
Imagine what all the Rex-haters would say if we signed this a-hole - HES LOSING CONTROL OF THE TEAM!!! CRIMINALS EVERYWHERE!!!!

Actually the players on the team would be wondering what's up. SF had almost no choice to let the guy go and they need him badly. Personally I think the man needs to sit the whole year out and find a clue. If he does that and cleans up his act sure sign him for next year for vet min plus incentives.

Forward_Lateral
08-11-2015, 11:38 AM
Actually the players on the team would be wondering what's up. SF had almost no choice to let the guy go and they need him badly. Personally I think the man needs to sit the whole year out and find a clue. If he does that and cleans up his act sure sign him for next year for vet min plus incentives.

He didn't learn from the first 4 DUI's, he'll never learn. Guy will be dead within 5 years.

Bill Cody
08-11-2015, 11:40 AM
He didn't learn from the first 4 DUI's, he'll never learn. Guy will be dead within 5 years.

Maybe not. But if he has an alcohol problem it's a little more complicated than just "learning".

Forward_Lateral
08-11-2015, 11:43 AM
Maybe not. But if he has an alcohol problem it's a little more complicated than just "learning".

Not it's not. Don't drive. Period.

swiper
08-11-2015, 12:00 PM
I think many of you will see that Manny Lawson will re-emerge this season and make you forget about this guy altogether.

Lawson was playing at a high level in Pettine's defense. He took a back seat in Schwartz's defense. It appears that Rex Ryan is positioning him to have a big year.

Didn't I read that he may play along side of Hughes in this defense - allowing one or both to rush the passer from that side?

http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/files/2014/03/USATSI_7556020.jpg

Pinkerton Security
08-11-2015, 12:16 PM
I think many of you will see that Manny Lawson will re-emerge this season and make you forget about this guy altogether.

Lawson was playing at a high level in Pettine's defense. He took a back seat in Schwartz's defense. It appears that Rex Ryan is positioning him to have a big year.

Didn't I read that he may play along side of Hughes in this defense - allowing one or both to rush the passer from that side?

http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/files/2014/03/USATSI_7556020.jpg

Manny did play well in the 3-4 sets, wouldnt be surprised to see him take a step forward.

GvilleBills
08-11-2015, 03:11 PM
A guy with a booze problem in a drinking town like Buffalo?

Just crazy enough to work!

;)

Buffalogic
08-11-2015, 04:17 PM
Aldon will be playing for a prison team before he is back on an NFL team.

TacklingDummy
08-11-2015, 04:18 PM
Sign him.
For the most part I don't care what a player does off the field. Good or bad.

Meathead
08-11-2015, 04:30 PM
wrong thread

Bill Cody
08-11-2015, 05:20 PM
Not it's not. Don't drive. Period.
driving isn't the only way for a guy with a drinking problem to get in trouble. Wasn't Smith arrested for faking a bomb threat at an airport?

Mace
08-11-2015, 05:37 PM
Never too many pass rushers.

Imagine if MW or JH went down with injury. The DL production would go down significantly.

In a Rex Ryan defense, other production would just go up.

There's no room or money for Smith imho. He's also unfortunately suspension bait, coming off a 9 last year so we sign him hoping for 3 games of production ? Someone will sign him and it will cost them, not us. Ryan coaches up on defense, there's just no need for a problem child vying for time with non problem children here.

Mace
08-11-2015, 05:39 PM
driving isn't the only way for a guy with a drinking problem to get in trouble. Wasn't Smith arrested for faking a bomb threat at an airport?

Yep, I'm not going to look for it but the video is out there somewhere.

IlluminatusUIUC
08-11-2015, 05:52 PM

Not to mention he'll be facing a suspension and be put into the substance abuse program. I'm not opposed to bringing him in and waiting it out, if he's willing to come cheap.

Generalissimus Gibby
08-12-2015, 01:30 PM
Can he play OL or QB? No, then sorry no thanks.

Mr. Pink
08-12-2015, 04:22 PM
Why get Aldon when you can get IK instead!

At least Aldon has shown on the field he's worth the circus that would have accompanied it.

Meathead
08-12-2015, 05:09 PM
as far as i know this was iks first transgression. not to excuse it bc what he did was wrong no matter how big a jerk geno is, but im hoping its just a shawn merriman one-in-a-career mistake

aldon has made A LOT of mistakes, like he cant stop. maybe sitting out of football for a year will help him realize charles haleys advice was right on point