• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WagonCircler
    Escaped Convict
    • Jul 2002

Nice article about the real IK

I'm going to trust Rex on this one. There seems to be more to this kid than meets the eye.

Fistfight at the IK Corral: The story of the guy who punched Geno Smith

The sports world has known Ikemefuna Enemkpali for less than 24 hours. He is the now-former New York Jets linebacker who broke quarterback Geno Smith’s jaw, landing a punch that knocked Smith out for a couple months and led to his own immediate release. The sports world knows Enemkpali only for that, only for the worst moment of his football career.

Stan Eggen wants to change that. He has known Enemkpali since he recruited him out of high school in Texas. Eggen coached him for four seasons as Louisiana Tech’s defensive line coach. He knows Enemkpali not for the punch that changed his life. He knows Enemkpali as someone who volunteered in community projects, read to elementary school children and became a team captain by teammates’ votes.

“That’s the part I want to stand up for,” Eggen said Tuesday morning in a phone conversation from Ames, Iowa, where he now coaches at Iowa State. “Obviously, you can’t do what he did. He wishes he would have pushed pause and taken a deep breath and stepped away. When you start bringing up being a thug, that is not IK. I want to make sure people at least saw the other side.

More...

• WagonCircler
    Escaped Convict
    • Jul 2002

Re: Nice article about the real IK

‘Smug’ Geno Smith goaded his sucker-puncher: witnesses

It started with a dare.
    Ryan Clark, an NFL analyst for ESPN, gave a blow-by-blow Wednesday morning of how the drama between Jets quarterback Geno Smith and now-former reserve linebacker IK Enemkpali unfolded after speaking with two players who were in the locker room.
    Smith “put his fingers” in his teammate’s face before he was sucker-punched, sustaining a broken jaw that will sideline him for at least six weeks.
    “These guys were in each other’s face,” Clark said on ESPN’s radio show “Mike & Mike.” “Geno put his finger in his face and told the guy, ‘Well, you’re not going to do anything about it.’”
    He was wrong, as the tough-guy comments caused Enemkpali to knock Smith to the ground with a single punch.

More...

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
      • Jul 2005

I'm punching any grown man who puts his fingers in my face. And not sure how you can even call that a sucker punch.
      Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• Oaf
        Do you read what you write?
        • Jun 2007

From the comments:

ESPN radio reported it wasn't just about the $600. Smith apparently did not call to let IK know he couldn't make it and IK had someone waiting over two hours in the airport. Also, IK apparently had asked Smith multiple times for the money and Smith kept blowing him off, including flipping IK the bird in the locker room. IK shouldn't have punched him, certainly, but Smith sure seemed to do everything in his power to make IK as mad as he could!

I don't think this guy will end up more than a role player, but I'm glad he's getting a second chance. If the punch hadn't broken bone, if Geno didn't have a jaw of glass, he's probably still on the team and it goes down as a camp fight..

Comment

• GreedoII
          • Aug 2007

who cares...he'll be cut anyway....

Comment

• Mr. Pink
            Peterman Sucks!
            • Mar 2006

How about where he assaulted a cop who was moonlighting as a bouncer? Or is that not the real Ik either?

He is establishing a pattern of behavior where he cannot control his temper and instead of walking away lets his fists fly.

Comment

• justasportsfan
              • Jul 2002

IK should just join the UFC
              sacrifice1
              https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• POTLAND PSILBYLO
                Asst to Dean Vernon Wormer
                • Nov 2012

Originally posted by Mr. Pink View Post
                How about where he assaulted a cop who was moonlighting as a bouncer? Or is that not the real Ik either?

He is establishing a pattern of behavior where he cannot control his temper and instead of walking away lets his fists fly.
                Football is so fluffy like a cute puppy!

Lol. J/k

Comment

• Meathead
                  Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Saratoga Slim View Post
                  I'm punching any grown man who puts his fingers in my face.
                  you walking upright yet?
                  One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• starrymessenger
                    • Oct 2009

Originally posted by GreedoII View Post
                    who cares...he'll be cut anyway....
                    Maybe not. From all accounts he was having an excellent TC with the Jets and was going to make the team. Joe Namath had lots of good things to say about him in an interview he did yesterday. Granted Joe may not be the most reliable source but he's still close to the team and Todd Bowles also had positive things to say before the incident.
                    Some folks have speculated that he was being groomed as a successor to David Harris. From what I've seen he looks stiff and a little slow off the ball (tho some say he has quick feet, if not an explosive first step) but he's extremely strong. I saw a brief clip of him absolutely destroying Chance Womack on a bull rush. His 40 time was 5.01 I think (James Harrison?). Harris's was 4.59. Hughes 4.69 for comparison. After seeing what Rex was able to do with Maybin ill be interested to see if IK can be productive in a Bills uni. I'd certainly take six sacks from a situational DE or OLB.

Comment

• Mad Bomber
                      • Jul 2002

Rex said he wanted to build a bully...

Comment

• Night Train
                        Retired - On Several Levels
                        • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Mad Bomber View Post
                        Rex said he wanted to build a bully...
                        He had just read a Teddy Roosevelt book.
                        Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

Working...
                        X