PDA

View Full Version : Bills Rumor: Tyrod being setup to win the QB job.

HHURRICANE
08-13-2015, 10:09 AM
Well I just heard from someone in the know that it's Tyrod's job to lose. Since I've been promoting my theory that it's Cassel's job I was a little incredulous but once it was explained to me I might have to go with reality:

1) EJ was given the scrimmage as the starter so it looked at least fair that he had a shot. The scrimmage was meaningless and they didn't want him wasting valuable pre-season time.

2) Cassel is being given the first pre-season game for the same reason as above. He'll get some limited time and again be given the appearance that he's in the race.

3) The Bills will then have their scrimmage practices with the Browns where Tyrod will get the majority of the snaps as he will be the starter for the second pre-season against the Browns. That's right he gets to practice against the team he plays against on Thursday Night.

4) You've heard it everywhere that the Bills would like a clear winner after their second pre-season game. A nationally televised game BTW on ESPN.

It's Tyrod's position to lose and it's set up for him to win it.

The King
08-13-2015, 10:16 AM
Taylor certainly is the most exciting of the bunch. I just hope he actually wins it. And doesnt get the job by default.

THRILLHO
08-13-2015, 10:28 AM
If it is Tyrod's job to lose, why not just have him start the first pre-season game and give him as many reps as possible? If this is true, then the staff has their mind made up. The more first team snaps, the better. Why go through the charade?

HHURRICANE
08-13-2015, 10:33 AM
If it is Tyrod's job to lose, why not just have him start the first pre-season game and give him as many reps as possible? If this is true, then the staff has their mind made up. The more first team snaps, the better. Why go through the charade?

Due diligence and PR. Would you just go throw your reputation out there without at least going through the process? Why not put "your guy" in the best position to win the job with as little public scrutinty as possible? Is anyone calamoring anymore that EJ didn't get a fair shot?

WagonCircler
08-13-2015, 10:34 AM
This sounds like tin foil hat stuff, to me. No offense.

But I'm on the "Anybody But EJ" bandwagon, so whatever works.

HHURRICANE
08-13-2015, 10:49 AM

I've posted two other things on this board from this guy. One 100% accurate and the other he swears was out fo managements control so I posted and it didn't happen. If I was that good I'd be on TV with Schefter not posting here.

Uncle Jesse
08-13-2015, 10:52 AM
It'll be Cassel Week 1, barring injury. I'm confident in that.

The Jokeman
08-13-2015, 11:02 AM
Well I just heard from someone in the know that it's Tyrod's job to lose. Since I've been promoting my theory that it's Cassel's job I was a little incredulous but once it was explained to me I might have to go with reality:

1) EJ was given the scrimmage as the starter so it looked at least fair that he had a shot. The scrimmage was meaningless and they didn't want him wasting valuable pre-season time.

2) Cassel is being given the first pre-season game for the same reason as above. He'll get some limited time and again be given the appearance that he's in the race.

3) The Bills will then have their scrimmage practices with the Browns where Tyrod will get the majority of the snaps as he will be the starter for the second pre-season against the Browns. That's right he gets to practice against the team he plays against on Thursday Night.

4) You've heard it everywhere that the Bills would like a clear winner after their second pre-season game. A nationally televised game BTW on ESPN.

Tyrod is everything I hate in a QB. 1)he's short. I know people will quote Russell Wilson and Flutie but I wouldn't call either of these guys great QBs. As to they're both care takers guys who need a great defense behind them to be successful long term. 2)He has a low completion percentage (ie below 62%). 3)He starts running if he can't hit his first read. This is a recipe for getting hurt especially with a guy smaller in size. 4)He has a cannon for an arm and isn't afraid to use it. Forcing a ball down field because you can and hoping your guy can get under often leads to INTs which to me worst than taking a sack. I think Rex mentioned disappointment in his play in the scrimmage because he failed in a red zone drill which is critical for us to turn the page. As if this team can find a way to be more effective in the red zone we should be a playoff caliber team. To my Tyrod is a great emergency/energize type QB but not good for long term which what this team needs.

OpIv37
08-13-2015, 11:05 AM
At this point, I'd say Taylor has the most upside. EJ has only had a limited shot but is regressing. Casell is what he is- clearly he offers the most experience but he will only get us so far.

That being said, when was the last time a mid-round pick sat on the bench for 3-4 years as a back-up then turned into a viable starter? I can't think of a single example. The closest thing is maybe Rodgers, but he was a first round pick expected to be groomed for a few years. Not the same situation IMO.

swiper
08-13-2015, 11:23 AM
Sounds like your person in the know might AKA LiterateStylish.

SPG
08-13-2015, 11:24 AM
Tyrod is everything I hate in a QB. 1)he's short. I know people will quote Russell Wilson and Flutie but I wouldn't call either of these guys great QBs. As to they're both care takers guys who need a great defense behind them to be successful long term. 2)He has a low completion percentage (ie below 62%). 3)He starts running if he can't hit his first read. This is a recipe for getting hurt especially with a guy smaller in size. 4)He has a cannon for an arm and isn't afraid to use it. Forcing a ball down field because you can and hoping your guy can get under often leads to INTs which to me worst than taking a sack. I think Rex mentioned disappointment in his play in the scrimmage because he failed in a red zone drill which is critical for us to turn the page. As if this team can find a way to be more effective in the red zone we should be a playoff caliber team. To my Tyrod is a great emergency/energize type QB but not good for long term which what this team needs.

Sign me up for that!

Forward_Lateral
08-13-2015, 11:32 AM
At this point, I'd say Taylor has the most upside. EJ has only had a limited shot but is regressing. Casell is what he is- clearly he offers the most experience but he will only get us so far.

That being said, when was the last time a mid-round pick sat on the bench for 3-4 years as a back-up then turned into a viable starter? I can't think of a single example. The closest thing is maybe Rodgers, but he was a first round pick expected to be groomed for a few years. Not the same situation IMO.

Closest thing I can think of is Romo. He was undrafted, but he did sit for his first couple of years in the league.

Buckets
08-13-2015, 11:34 AM

How long did Brady ride the pine?

Forward_Lateral
08-13-2015, 11:37 AM
How long did Brady ride the pine?

A season and 2 games to be exact

EDS
08-13-2015, 11:37 AM

Rich Gannon?

Tony Romo was undrafted I think and became a 10+ year started after two years on the bench.

Forward_Lateral
08-13-2015, 11:38 AM
Jake Delhomme is another one.

GreedoII
08-13-2015, 12:13 PM
Dude won't last the whole season is the issue I have. He's built like a slot WR. He will get blown up if he gets to fancy or the line has a bad day....

HHURRICANE
08-13-2015, 12:22 PM
I'm posting what I heard...not what I want or think is a good idea. I'm hearing out of Buffalo that EJ is getting cut which makes no sense since he's basically free and better than Simms.

My belief was that it was Cassels job and I'm being told differntly. For the record I'd rather see Cassel start but maybe Tyrod is better than I thought.

OpIv37
08-13-2015, 12:41 PM
Yeah I don't get the people clamoring to cut EJ.

At this point, I have very little hope that he will ever be our starter, but he knows the system and is dirt cheap, and there is no one better available at this point. It just doesn't make sense to cut him now.

Victor7
08-13-2015, 12:55 PM
I'm posting what I heard...not what I want or think is a good idea. I'm hearing out of Buffalo that EJ is getting cut which makes no sense since he's basically free and better than Simms.

My belief was that it was Cassels job and I'm being told differntly. For the record I'd rather see Cassel start but maybe Tyrod is better than I thought.

Been saying for a while that EJ will get cut.

Won't surprise me one bit.

WagonCircler
08-13-2015, 01:06 PM
The more I think about this, the less I believe it.

I don't know yet if Rex Ryan is a champ or a chump, but I feel pretty confident that he's not a guy who feels the need to conduct a PR charade regarding personnel decisions.

yordad
08-13-2015, 01:37 PM
It wouldn't be just PR. In the eyes of the locker room if all 3 have a shot then the winner has actually won.

Albany,n.y.
08-13-2015, 01:43 PM
Yeah I don't get the people clamoring to cut EJ.

At this point, I have very little hope that he will ever be our starter, but he knows the system and is dirt cheap, and there is no one better available at this point. It just doesn't make sense to cut him now.

It makes sense because they keep 2 QBs & use the roster spot elsewhere. Matt Simms is dirt cheap too if they want 3 QBs.

sudzy
08-13-2015, 02:01 PM
I think Rex would like Taylor to win the job. But, I think Rex cares about winning games, more. IMO, Cassel is the safe pick, so Taylor has to outplay Cassel by a lot for Rex to roll the dice on him.

feldspar
08-13-2015, 02:06 PM
I got a rumor for ya. It's right here in my back pocket. I won't share it now; instead, I'll save it for later.

WagonCircler
08-13-2015, 02:11 PM
It wouldn't be just PR. In the eyes of the locker room if all 3 have a shot then the winner has actually won.

The guys in the locker room can see who should be starting. They aren't going to be fooled by any kind of charade.

Ginger Vitis
08-13-2015, 02:48 PM
Sal Capaccio just said on WGR Taylor is getting more comfortable with the offense and while Taylor is far from perfect his play in practices is getting better each day over the last week

Meathead
08-13-2015, 02:52 PM
I got a rumor for ya. It's right here in my back pocket. I won't share it now; instead, I'll save it for later.

only bc you cant upload farts to the internet

Meathead
08-13-2015, 02:55 PM
i would be thrilled if tyrod actually wins the job. i would have to pay victor a hundred billion dollars but it would be worth it. i just dont want it to be bc rexy has an old boner for him

but with his size and tendency to run youd better have a good backup. i wonder if theyd keep all three qbs or cut one

OLDSRIP
08-13-2015, 04:13 PM

Even if this is true, he still has to out and out preform the others. They might be stacking the deck on his favor. He is Rex's pick. But if he bombs, he won't start.

I hope either him or EJ get the job. And I hope it's obvious to all who is playing better.

Night Train
08-13-2015, 04:19 PM
It all sounds good but the actual bullets start flying for the first time tomorrow night. Then the Cleveland scrimmage a few days later. That will start chapter 1.

I already read the preface here a thousand times.

Victor7
08-13-2015, 04:49 PM
i would be thrilled if tyrod actually wins the job. i would have to pay victor a hundred billion dollars but it would be worth it. i just dont want it to be bc rexy has an old boner for him

but with his size and tendency to run youd better have a good backup. i wonder if theyd keep all three qbs or cut one

A hundred trillion meat.

And you are gonna have to anyway. Cassel's gonna start !

I'll play nice though. I'l let you off for just one hundred million :D

BillsImpossible
08-13-2015, 06:13 PM
Taylor has been playing the best out of all 3 quarterbacks the past 10 days at camp.

Carucci, Capaccio, and Buscaglia have all said that Tyrod Taylor has been getting better, EJ has gotten worse, and Matt Cassel is who he is.

John Murphy said the same thing, but he's not Italian.

If Cassel doesn't show that he's capable of making plays after 3 series on offense tomorrow night, Taylor could get time with the first team.

If Cassel doesn't shine, and Tyrod Taylor does, the QB competition will likely be over after 1 preseason game.

Taylor can seal the deal in Cleveland on Thursday Night Football in front of the whole football nation in prime time.

BillsImpossible
08-13-2015, 06:43 PM
Thinking of having Tyrod Taylor as the Bills starting quarterback gets me super excited for this season, beyond pumped, the thought gives me a woody for longer than four hours.

Thinking of having Matt Cassel as the Bills starting quarterback makes me want to cry, feel sorry for myself, and drink too much like Kyle Orton.

Rex Ryan is a players coach. What the players think about Tyrod Taylor and Matt Cassel means a lot.

Richie Incognito called Matt Cassel a good guy and, "a goofball," in a recent interview.

Based on the player interviews I've heard this off season, the players speak most highly of Tyrod Taylor.

Marry those sentiments with a coach that personally recruited Tyrod Taylor, and get ready to win.

OpIv37
08-13-2015, 07:02 PM
It makes sense because they keep 2 QBs & use the roster spot elsewhere. Matt Simms is dirt cheap too if they want 3 QBs.

I just don't see how using a roster spot on Simms is better than using one on EJ. If they stick with 2 qb's I could see keeping Cassel and Taylor over EJ depending on how preseason goes. If they stick with 3, cutting EJ for Simms doesn't make sense.

YardRat
08-13-2015, 07:24 PM
SWINGIN' FOR THE FENCES, BAY-BEEEE!

Ginger Vitis
08-13-2015, 07:39 PM
Thinking of having Tyrod Taylor as the Bills starting quarterback gets me super excited for this season, beyond pumped, the thought gives me a woody for longer than four hours.

Thinking of having Matt Cassel as the Bills starting quarterback makes me want to cry, feel sorry for myself, and drink too much like Kyle Orton.

Rex Ryan is a players coach. What the players think about Tyrod Taylor and Matt Cassel means a lot.

Richie Incognito called Matt Cassel a good guy and, "a goofball," in a recent interview.

Based on the player interviews I've heard this off season, the players speak most highly of Tyrod Taylor.

Marry those sentiments with a coach that personally recruited Tyrod Taylor, and get ready to win.

I say they go with Taylor...Im nowhere near as excited as you but at least Taylor can avoid the rush... scramble... have designed run plays. And the other 2 just flat out suck

Meathead
08-13-2015, 07:43 PM

lol

Meathead
08-13-2015, 07:45 PM
A hundred trillion meat.

I'll play nice though. I'l let you off for just one hundred million :D

IF you win, im on a fixed income so i will have to sell my body to women for as much as i can get. by my calculations if i work five days a week for six hours a day i could afford an installment plan of one dollar per month

Goobylal
08-13-2015, 08:04 PM
ABC. Anyone But Cassel.

OpIv37
08-13-2015, 08:16 PM
So, you're saying that because he's Irish, he's a drunk and his opinion is not reliable? Racist.

thenry20
08-13-2015, 11:15 PM
Jake Delhomme is another one.

Elvis Grbac and one other 49er I can't recall his name. Oh and Steve Bono.

Skooby
08-14-2015, 03:42 AM
If this is the case than go Taylor !!

HHURRICANE
08-14-2015, 07:18 PM
Yikes

BillsImpossible
08-14-2015, 08:45 PM
So, you're saying that because he's Irish, he's a drunk and his opinion is not reliable? Racist.

Please get a sense of humor.

The politically correct crowd has worn out their welcome.

kscdogbillsfan1221
08-14-2015, 09:39 PM
Please get a sense of humor.

The politically correct crowd has worn out their welcome.

i believe he was being facetious.

HHURRICANE
08-15-2015, 07:06 AM
Ok so we established my source was correct...

The Jokeman
08-15-2015, 07:32 AM
Rich Gannon?

Tony Romo was undrafted I think and became a 10+ year started after two years on the bench.

Mark Brunell and David Garrard also come to mind.

justasportsfan
08-15-2015, 08:04 AM

Wait, Murphys not black???

justasportsfan
08-15-2015, 08:06 AM
Btw, Cassel may have started but Taylor had more snaps.

:scratch:

better days
08-15-2015, 08:11 AM
I just don't see how using a roster spot on Simms is better than using one on EJ. If they stick with 2 qb's I could see keeping Cassel and Taylor over EJ depending on how preseason goes. If they stick with 3, cutting EJ for Simms doesn't make sense.

Unless the Bills determine there is no hope at all for EJ, it would be foolish to cut him because his salary is guaranteed for this year & next.

If they don't like EJ, I would hope they could trade him for a bag of used footballs at least.

notacon
08-15-2015, 09:19 AM

Typical stupidity.

Cassel looks exactly like Orton, and Tyrod is more runner than QB, not even close to ready for prime time much less a starting QB in the NFL.

If EJ is better than those two suckers, you would still reject him???? Jesus. Some Bills fans are stupid as rocks.

HHURRICANE
08-15-2015, 09:40 AM
Typical stupidity.

Cassel looks exactly like Orton, and Tyrod is more runner than QB, not even close to ready for prime time much less a starting QB in the NFL.

If EJ is better than those two suckers, you would still reject him???? Jesus. Some Bills fans are stupid as rocks.

Tyrod played like Russel Wilson not Michael Vick. You might want to watch the game before you make a dumB comment.

HHURRICANE
08-15-2015, 09:42 AM
Unless the Bills determine there is no hope at all for EJ, it would be foolish to cut him because his salary is guaranteed for this year & next.

If they don't like EJ, I would hope they could trade him for a bag of used footballs at least.

I think the logic is a roster spot. There is a lot of talent so every spot is needed.

notacon
08-15-2015, 09:47 AM
Tyrod played like Russel Wilson not Michael Vick. You might want to watch the game before you make a dumB comment.

I did watch the game. Did you? Comparing him to Russell Wilson is the dumb thing to say. Not even close.

better days
08-15-2015, 09:48 AM
I think the logic is a roster spot. There is a lot of talent so every spot is needed.

I would cut Gay in a heartbeat to keep EJ or anyone else for that matter.

HHURRICANE
08-15-2015, 09:56 AM
I did watch the game. Did you? Comparing him to Russell Wilson is the dumb thing to say. Not even close.

The style not the exact performance. You implied he wants to run. Maybe to much beer.

Watch again it will help your opinions.

notacon
08-15-2015, 10:33 AM
The style not the exact performance. You implied he wants to run. Maybe to much beer.

Watch again it will help your opinions.

Maybe. I'm not optimistic. The Bills had the chance to get the real Wilson. Tyrod is not.

BrianCarr
08-15-2015, 11:08 AM
Maybe. I'm not optimistic. The Bills had the chance to get the real Wilson. Tyrod is not.you don't know that yet. taylor really hasn't gotten the chance. I like Wilson, but statistically hes middle of the pack as a passer.

WagonCircler
08-15-2015, 01:26 PM

No, it wouldn't matter if he watched the game. He's incapable of anything but dumb comments. Just ignore him. He's like a gnat.

Meathead
08-15-2015, 02:02 PM
i believe he was being facetious.

no way. sarcastic maybe. ironic possibly. but in no way facetious

HHURRICANE
08-31-2015, 11:38 AM

If I'm getting crap on my Cassel thread from May I'm going to bump this one as well.

justasportsfan
08-31-2015, 12:45 PM
If I'm getting crap on my Cassel thread from May I'm going to bump this one as well.

I could've made Billsimpossible threads as well naming everyone a starter.

HHURRICANE
08-31-2015, 01:00 PM
I could've made Billsimpossible threads as well naming everyone a starter.

Uhh I'm two for three on threads this year. But I agree with above. LOL