PDA

View Full Version : Is our QB situation really such a disaster?

Mr. Miyagi
08-14-2015, 09:55 AM
Every time the name Buffalo Bills is mentioned, the media always jumps to how we have such a terrible QB situation. Is it really the worst in the league?

Do all of these teams really have a better QB situation than we do? I don't hear anyone poo-pooing on these teams' QBs.

Jets - Geno Smith, Fitzpatrick
Browns - Manziel, Jsoh McCown
Texans - Mallet, Hoyer
Jags - Bortles, Henne
KC - Alex Smith, Chase Daniel
Vikings - Bridgewater, Hill
Rams - Foles, Case Keenum

I don't see it.

SpikedLemonade
08-14-2015, 09:59 AM
Yes it is.

HHURRICANE
08-14-2015, 10:16 AM
I saw a Fantasy Football review today on running backs. McCoy wasn't even mentioned...not joking. Not even as overrated!!

I think there is a lot of hate/bias towards Buffalo from the early 90s. Same reason everyone hates Miami (if your old enough to remember the entire decade of the 70s)

I talked to bunch of people that have been at camp and they have said that Tyrod and Cassel have looked way better than the media has reported. Tonight will definately be the true evaluator.

I watched Garrrappoleosis stink it up last night for New England after reports were how good he wwas looking.

k-oneputt
08-14-2015, 10:22 AM
Garop. can't get the ball down field.

As or that list I would take at least six of those qb's.

Yasgur's Farm
08-14-2015, 10:30 AM
Nah... Only 2... Smith or Bridgewater

HAMMER
08-14-2015, 11:09 AM
Yes it is very bad.

Bortles is going to be a good QB, Bridgewater as well, the rest stink and those teams will struggle until they have a legit QB, just like the Bills will..

I see so much optimism here about this Bills team being a playoff squad, not very likely to happen unless one of our "QB's" makes a significant jump.

THATHURMANATOR
08-14-2015, 11:09 AM
Garop. can't get the ball down field.

As or that list I would take at least six of those qb's.

6? Really? None are very good.

I would take Bridgewater because he has promise. None of the rest excite me any more than what we have.

Alex Smith is Cassell to me exactly

Foles maybe I suppose but probably not.

OpIv37
08-14-2015, 11:13 AM
Every time the name Buffalo Bills is mentioned, the media always jumps to how we have such a terrible QB situation. Is it really the worst in the league?

Do all of these teams really have a better QB situation than we do? I don't hear anyone poo-pooing on these teams' QBs.

Texans - Mallet, Hoyer
Jags - Bortles, Henne

I don't see it.
Are you saying our situation isn't bad? Or are you complaining that other people call it the worst in the league?

Honestly, to me it's irrelevant if our situation is truly the worst in the league. I think of it in terms of our ability to win football games, and from that standpoint, it's bad.

Buffalogic
08-14-2015, 11:28 AM
Just because other teams have QB problems it doesn't diminish our woeful situation.

swiper
08-14-2015, 11:32 AM

Texans - Mallet, Hoyer
Jags - Bortles, Henne

I don't see it.

I know it's preseason. But to play devil's advocate - you should go look at the Cleveland QBs numbers from last night. And while you're at it see Kirk Cousins numbers too.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=400791771

Mike
08-14-2015, 11:32 AM

Texans - Mallet, Hoyer
Jags - Bortles, Henne

I don't see it.

You got it ass backwards...
We are really competing against the Rogers, Mannings, Brady's of the world... The Championship CONTENDERS not the bottom dwellers. If you want to win a championship that's who you have to beat!

IlluminatusUIUC
08-14-2015, 12:43 PM
I know it's preseason. But to play devil's advocate - you should go look at the Cleveland QBs numbers from last night. And while you're at it see Kirk Cousins numbers too.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=400791771

Cousins always looks good in his first few games but then crashes hard. I don't know what his problem is.

The Natrix
08-14-2015, 12:57 PM
I think the Bills QBs have more upside than a few of those teams, but if you go by most recent production, Buffalo should have THE lowest ranked group of QBs.

Did anyone watch Cassel with Minny or his final handful of games in KC? He was absolutely putrid.

Tyrod has done nothing, obviously.

EJ regressed to the point of being completely useless before he was pulled.

psubills62
08-14-2015, 02:02 PM
Just because other teams have QB problems it doesn't diminish our woeful situation.
But it does put it in perspective. The whole point of football is that you need to beat other teams. It's a league of comparison, where you simply have to be better than the teams you play, you don't have to be perfect at every position.

That said, ours is definitely one of the worst situations. Some of those I'd take over ours simply because they have young QB's who could still get better. I don't think we have that.

Buffalogic
08-14-2015, 02:05 PM
But it does put it in perspective. The whole point of football is that you need to beat other teams. It's a league of comparison, where you simply have to be better than the teams you play, you don't have to be perfect at every position.

That said, ours is definitely one of the worst situations. Some of those I'd take over ours simply because they have young QB's who could still get better. I don't think we have that.Nobody cares if you can beat terrible teams. The goal is to compete with and beat the good ones.

psubills62
08-14-2015, 02:11 PM
Nobody cares if you can beat terrible teams. The goal is to compete with and beat the good ones.
Like when the Jets with Mark Sanchez beat the Pats with Tom Brady consistently? Good teams aren't perfect at every position either. You also need to beat the majority of teams (including terrible ones) on the schedule to get in position to beat the good teams in the playoffs. And frankly, that's where we are right now - trying to simply get to the playoffs.

Buffalogic
08-14-2015, 02:15 PM
^ I think we are good enough to make the playoffs no matter which of our QB's is the starter honestly. But one will have to step up and play above average if we want to go deep.

Mr. Pink
08-14-2015, 02:23 PM
And what is the thing in common all of those teams and the Bills have?

None are making the playoffs.

The Jokeman
08-14-2015, 02:23 PM
^ I think we are good enough to make the playoffs no matter which of our QB's is the starter honestly. But one will have to step up and play above average if we want to go deep.

A QB has to step up this year no doubt but I think a lot of Bills fans tend to forget that we also lost Fred Jackson/CJ Spiller for a big stretch of our season this year. Now we have Shady who is better than either of those guys. We've also added Percy Harvin and Woods/Watkins are getting older as brought in a guy in Roman who has shown in San Francisco that he can model an offense around his QB that Hackett didn't seem to do. Everyone clamors how great a QB that Russell Wilson is, the guy threw 20 TD passes last year. Is that really a great number? Not in my eyes To me we need a QB that can be as good as Orton was last year coupled with good production from the running game, which we didn't have last year and an improved red zone offense. I think it's all possible with Cassel and maybe EJ at QB. I'm reserved on Tyrod as he just doesn't seem to be the pocket, small ball move the chains, safe with the ball QB that think we need. Time will tell but I think this team is ready to turn the corner and make the playoffs this season.

sudzy
08-14-2015, 02:48 PM
The QB spot is really bad. Is it the 32nd worst or only the 28th? Does that really matter? This is what happens when you try and force a QB choice in on of the worst QB draft ever. I wanted Bridgewater last year. But, no. You can't draft 2 QBs back-to-back. If they would have drafted Bridgewater we could have had a QB to build around, not a 3rd stringer on his way out of the NFL.

IlluminatusUIUC
08-14-2015, 03:07 PM
Like when the Jets with Mark Sanchez beat the Pats with Tom Brady consistently? Good teams aren't perfect at every position either. You also need to beat the majority of teams (including terrible ones) on the schedule to get in position to beat the good teams in the playoffs. And frankly, that's where we are right now - trying to simply get to the playoffs.

Mark Sanchez was 3-6 against the Patriots and ended his Jets career on an 0-4 run against them.

People are really romanticizing Rex's Jets teams.

YardRat
08-14-2015, 10:39 PM
Yes.

Next question?

swiper
08-15-2015, 04:25 AM
Cousins always looks good in his first few games but then crashes hard. I don't know what his problem is.

Well I think he "crashed" once. He's looking good a second time. I'll be interested to see where he goes with it this time. But I get your point.

swiper
08-15-2015, 04:27 AM
Yes.

Next question?

Rewatch the game on TV this morning. It's not that bad. Cassel was 7/8. We have perfect receivers for a guy that completes short passes (Watkins, Harvin, Woods, Goodwin) who can burn in open field. You saw that on Goodwin's grab from Taylor.

kscdogbillsfan1221
08-15-2015, 05:52 AM
Mark Sanchez was 3-6 against the Patriots and ended his Jets career on an 0-4 run against them.

Well s$$$. To me 3 and 6 vs the pats sounds phenomenal to me at this point. Still better than 2 and 21 or whatever we are since 03

notacon
08-15-2015, 09:22 AM
Is our QB situation really such a disaster?
YES!!!

Cassel is exactly like Orton. Tyrod is a better runner than QB and EJ is still got zero feel for the game.

The Bills are in a terrible, terrible place with QB's. Just because other teams have sucky QB's means nothing.

better days
08-15-2015, 09:53 AM
Rewatch the game on TV this morning. It's not that bad. Cassel was 7/8. We have perfect receivers for a guy that completes short passes (Watkins, Harvin, Woods, Goodwin) who can burn in open field. You saw that on Goodwin's grab from Taylor.

What good is a completion for 1 or 2 yards?

0 TD's.

Give me a QB that can get the ball into the end zone.

PhillyCuse
08-16-2015, 07:12 PM
Yes. As mentioned on the Grantland podcast, Cassel is not a "just don't screw it up" guy. He's a "screw it up because he stinks" guy. Hence Alex Smith replacing him and being an upgrade.

OTOH you can look at it as a backhanded compliment. It's common knowledge we'd have a nasty team with a competent QB so that's why it gets brought up. Not so with a lot of those other teams.

Mace
08-16-2015, 08:51 PM
I really don't think it's a disaster, one of them will be sufficient for their purposes, if not "wow".

Same time though it doesn't make me happy-happy joy-joy with warm fuzzies about the future. Like they're building Frankenstein's monster and don't figure he needs a head if they put a flower pot on the shoulders and paint a face on it that you are supposed to be able to spin for different expressions, but the problem is that it depends what part of the flower pot you're facing at a given moment.

Meathead
08-16-2015, 09:41 PM
we wont know until a handful of games into the regular season

i just hope its ty or ej bc cassel has no upside and will be a painfully average handicap if he starts many games

better days
08-17-2015, 07:44 AM

So when the Jets had good players around Sanchez, Sanchez & the Jets had a record of 3-2. I will take that.

SpikedLemonade
08-17-2015, 07:47 AM
I was just hoping one of the QBs would step up to earn the starting position.

Instead, it appears 2 will lose the competition by the their bad play and the winner will be the lessor evil.

better days
08-17-2015, 07:55 AM
I was just hoping one of the QBs would step up to earn the starting position.

Instead, it appears 2 will lose the competition by the their bad play and the winner will be the lessor evil.

Well, in the Panthers game, all 3 Qb's in the competition had their moments with none making any glaring mistakes.

Only one INT thrown by a Bills QB in that game, by Matt Simms.

Jimkelly12203
08-17-2015, 08:40 AM
Is our QB situation really such a disaster?

YES!!!

Cassel is exactly like Orton. Tyrod is a better runner than QB and EJ is still got zero feel for the game.

The Bills are in a terrible, terrible place with QB's. Just because other teams have sucky QB's means nothing.
Actually, I thought Friday was a very encouraging day for the Bills QBs. All three of them.