PDA

View Full Version : Just watched the replay...my thoughts

Thurmal
08-15-2015, 01:01 PM
-- Liked how McCoy ran, always looking for the extra yard.
-- Charles Clay is an enormous dude...think he'll be a focal point.
-- When the starters were in, it looked like our run blocking was exponentially better than last year. Can't wait to see Incognito, Wood, and Miller together
-- I know he has fumbilitis, but Bryce Brown can play. Hope we keep him.
-- Ronald Darby is Leodis McKelvin incarnate. Always has perfect coverage with little to no separation, but zero ball skills. Gotta turn around and get a deflection!
-- The QBs were better than expected. I think it might be a good idea to have Cassell as starter, but bring in Taylor every game on a situational basis. 70/30, maybe.
-- EJ's pass to Thompson was money. For all the vitriol he gets, the guy is a class act. I'll pull for him regardless of where he ends up. He just seems like "career backup" to me.
-- Robert Woods returning punts in preseason? Why?
-- Liked seeing Rex ***** at the officials over some calls. It used to drive me nuts when we would get hosed on a BS call, then they'd pan to the sideline and we'd see Gailey or Jauron just sit there expressionless. Working the officials WORKS.

HHURRICANE
08-15-2015, 01:04 PM
Awesome perspective!!!

Only thing I disagree with is splitting time. The reason Tyrod might be excelling is for the opposite reason. He's not a gadget guy anymore. He's more effective with the entire playbook. Just pick one and go with it.

POTLAND PSILBYLO
08-15-2015, 01:18 PM
I like the idea of splitting. Especially right after the half, when you have the opponent adjust, bring in Taylor and let them deal with that.

Famous Amos
08-15-2015, 01:38 PM
If the Bills keep Bryce Brown, they will have to cut a different running back. That could be Boobie or Freddy. Karlos Williams looked pretty effective. Jackson has been terrible the last few years in goal line situations whereas K. Williams looked good there. Maybe a good way to figure out who to keep is who's going to be the blocking RB on third and long?

Thurmal
08-15-2015, 02:09 PM
If the Bills keep Bryce Brown, they will have to cut a different running back. That could be Boobie or Freddy. Karlos Williams looked pretty effective. Jackson has been terrible the last few years in goal line situations whereas K. Williams looked good there. Maybe a good way to figure out who to keep is who's going to be the blocking RB on third and long?
There is definitely a RB conundrum. I like all of them. I thought Boobie was great last year. Not only running, but he was a SOLID special teams guy (two blocked punts!). But he seems like he could be the odd man out. Can't cut Fred...heart and soul of the team, a leader, and the one guy that can keep all of our knuckleheads (McCoy, Harvin, Incognito, Enkempmigighehle, Kromer) straight.

Mace
08-15-2015, 03:36 PM
I agree absolutely with everything but Bryce Brown. After being 3 years a pro if you can't hang on to the ball reliably, I don't think you will, and I don't think RB's are such a precious commodity in the modern era.

I'm not saying it isn't a shame, because he is very talented, but I can't say I hope we keep him because I think if we do he has "tragic badly timed fumble" all over him. "Give it to Brown, critical moment, they'll never expect it, think he's a decoy...."

Then whoop.

Goobylal
08-15-2015, 03:50 PM
I agree absolutely with everything but Bryce Brown. After being 3 years a pro if you can't hang on to the ball reliably, I don't think you will, and I don't think RB's are such a precious commodity in the modern era.

I'm not saying it isn't a shame, because he is very talented, but I can't say I hope we keep him because I think if we do he has "tragic badly timed fumble" all over him. "Give it to Brown, critical moment, they'll never expect it, think he's a decoy...."

Then whoop.
Tiki Barber had fumbling problems for first 7-1/2 years of his career, but finally fixed it. Brown should ask him what he did.

POTLAND PSILBYLO
08-15-2015, 04:01 PM
Hold on to the ball?

Mace
08-15-2015, 04:02 PM
Tiki Barber had fumbling problems for first 7-1/2 years of his career, but finally fixed it. Brown should ask him what he did.

Maybe. So tell him or advise Rex to tell him to talk to Tiki Barber instead of using and keeping RB's that can hang onto the ball that pour out of college every year that you can get pretty cheap.

swiper
08-15-2015, 04:07 PM
Note: Bryce Brown did not fumble last night.

Goobylal
08-15-2015, 04:08 PM
Maybe. So tell him or advise Rex to tell him to talk to Tiki Barber instead of using and keeping RB's that can hang onto the ball that pour out of college every year that you can get pretty cheap.
I'll let them know the next time I see them.

Mace
08-15-2015, 04:41 PM
I'll let them know the next time I see them.

I would too, except I don't, so Tiki Barber's sage advice seems unreachable.

Mace
08-15-2015, 04:46 PM
Note: Bryce Brown did not fumble last night.

He sure didn't, but I honestly keep forgetting it. Maybe there's something to having hope for him. But it's weird I keep thinking he did, could have, might have, should have. That's not a slam on Brown, it's a slam on my perception of him and I admit it. It's peculiar.

Night Train
08-15-2015, 05:44 PM
I was very encouraged with last nights performance.

EricStratton
08-15-2015, 07:29 PM
How many times has he fumbled in his career or at least as a Bill to be this worried about it.

It seems like it's a topic that derails every thread he is mentioned in

Later
08-15-2015, 08:01 PM
How many times has he fumbled in his career or at least as a Bill to be this worried about it.

It seems like it's a topic that derails every thread he is mentioned in

Good point. He fumbled literally once last year for us, but it's the one that everyone remembers. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BrowBr02.htm

He's fumbled 5 times in his career (226 carries + 37 receptions + a handful of kick returns), 4 in his rookie year. Not sure what the average fumble rate is but 5 fumbles in over 250 touches doesn't strike me as career-threatening.

Ingtar33
08-15-2015, 09:30 PM
Good point. He fumbled literally once last year for us, but it's the one that everyone remembers. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BrowBr02.htm

He's fumbled 5 times in his career (226 carries + 37 receptions + a handful of kick returns), 4 in his rookie year. Not sure what the average fumble rate is but 5 fumbles in over 250 touches doesn't strike me as career-threatening.

It's not as bad as 1 in 50, he actually loses a fumble 1 time out of every 135 touches. it's not good.

generally speaking you want your running back in the 1 in 150 to 200 touches range per LOST fumble (for an NFL starter at least)

examples - Shady McCoy has 1 lost fumble every 176 touches. Jerome Bettis finished his career around 1 fumble lost every 153 touches, Emmitt Smith at 1 fumble lost per 197 touches; Thurman Thomas? he trumped them all at 1 fumble lost per 239 touches (there have been a few backs as sure handed at Thurman; Curtis Martin for example comes in at a similar 220 to 1 ratio)

Goobylal
08-15-2015, 09:39 PM
It's not as bad as 1 in 50, he actually loses a fumble 1 time out of every 135 touches. it's not good.

generally speaking you want your running back in the 1 in 150 to 200 touches range per LOST fumble (for an NFL starter at least)

examples - Shady McCoy has 1 lost fumble every 176 touches. Jerome Bettis finished his career around 1 fumble lost every 153 touches, Emmitt Smith at 1 fumble lost per 197 touches; Thurman Thomas? he trumped them all at 1 fumble lost per 239 touches (there have been a few backs as sure handed at Thurman; Curtis Martin for example comes in at a similar 220 to 1 ratio)
One fumble in every 135 touches isn't bad. Especially when you figure the guy will get probably less than 200 touches on the season.