Yahoo Sports documentary on Buffalo/Scott Norwood - need some Bills fans!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • T-Long
    Circling the Wagons since 1982.
    • Sep 2003

Yahoo Sports documentary on Buffalo/Scott Norwood - need some Bills fans!

Hey all,

As you all may know, I have worked for Yahoo! Sports in Sunnyvale CA for numerous years before moving back to PA. My old boss gave me a call from L.A. today to let me know that they are flying into town tomorrow to interview Rex on Monday. They are also filming a documentary on the city of Buffalo (as a destination for NFL players) as well as a feature on Scott Norwood. He basically is looking for a feel on how the majority of the fan base feels about the former kicker. He is looking for a few Bills fans that would be interested in talking on camera for the documentary for Yahoo! So here is what I need...

1. Volunteers
    2. A list of the top Bills' bars in the city
    3. A location that has some sort of mural or wall of appreciation for Scott Norwood.

They are looking to do this on Monday or Tuesday THIS coming week! Sorry for the short notice, but he just reached out to me. I will also be helping them with the Bills Jags game in London.

Let me know ASAP by responding to the thread, PM, or through Facebook.

Thanks!
  • WagonCircler
    Escaped Convict
    • Jul 2002

Re: Yahoo Sports documentary on Buffalo/Scott Norwood - need some Bills fans!

Originally posted by T-Long View Post
    3. A location that has some sort of mural or wall of appreciation for Scott Norwood.
    Seriously?

I'd suggest maybe finding a Giants bar in New Jersey for that.

Comment

• Ingtar33
      Dances With Buffaloes
      • Sep 2002

I don't even know if something like that existed when he was playing here. there definitely isn't one now. There are plenty of framed news clipping in different bars and the like, but nothing like that dedicated strictly to norwood that i can recall. granted i haven't been a buffalo resident since 1989, or a regular visitor since 2005, and i haven't even been to buffalo in 5 years.

top bars in buffalo (warning, dated list)

1) Anchor Bar (birthplace of the wing)
      2) Big Tree Inn (aftergame hangout for bills players)
      3) Duffs (if you're not a anchor bar wing fan, you're probably a fan of duff's wings)

in no particular order.
      Last edited by Ingtar33; 08-15-2015, 09:10 PM.
      My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• T-Long
        • Sep 2003

Thanks for the info! Let me know if anyone else has any suggestions, or is in the Buffalo/Orchard Park area to be interviewed on the Bills for yahoo.com. I need to get him a few names as soon as possible who are willing to talk Bills and give their thoughts on Scott Norwood. Thanks all!

Comment

• Thurmal
          • Oct 2005

It is completely unfair how much **** Norwood gets. Guy had never made a kick over 45 on grass before and we trot him out for a 47-yarder with the SB on the line. They had time to run one more play to try to get closer too. I love Marv Levy, but a stain on his career will always be how he lost that game despite having an enormous talent advantage.
          "Miami played pretty damn good today and still got their ass kicked."

Comment

• K-Gun
            Deal with it
            • Jul 2003

Hey all,

Vincent Gallo's film Buffalo 66' is the closest thing I can think of.
            [W]e are busy that we may have leisure, and make war that we may live in peace...

[F]or no one chooses to be at war, or provokes war, for the sake of being at war; any one would seem absolutely murderous if he were to make enemies of his friends in order to bring about battle and slaughter...

- Aristotle

Comment

• WagonCircler
              Escaped Convict
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Thurmal View Post
              It is completely unfair how much **** Norwood gets. Guy had never made a kick over 45 on grass before and we trot him out for a 47-yarder with the SB on the line. They had time to run one more play to try to get closer too. I love Marv Levy, but a stain on his career will always be how he lost that game despite having an enormous talent advantage.
              Just to clarify, I definitely am not a Norwood hater. One of the coolest moments in Buffalo sports history was the spectacle of 50,000 fans in Niagara Square chanting "Scotty--Scotty". But to think that someone would paint a mural of him, and one that would still be around 25 years later? That's just silly.

Comment

• DynaPaul
                • Sep 2003

No way, that happened 2 decades ago. Leave the guy alone.

Comment

• Thurmal
                  • Oct 2005

Originally posted by WagonCircler View Post
                  Just to clarify, I definitely am not a Norwood hater. One of the coolest moments in Buffalo sports history was the spectacle of 50,000 fans in Niagara Square chanting "Scotty--Scotty". But to think that someone would paint a mural of him, and one that would still be around 25 years later? That's just silly.
                  Yeah, I actually laughed out loud when I read that.
                  "Miami played pretty damn good today and still got their ass kicked."

Comment

• T-Long
                    • Sep 2003

When I said mural, I would think you all would know what I meant. Like some sort of tribute somewhere or the exact opposite. I said what they told me, to find either other if at all possible. So no one is able to talk on camera on good/bad memories of that time? Really?

Comment

• OpIv37
                      Acid Douching Asswipe
                      • Sep 2002

I don't understand this.

All you need to know is that Bills fans gave Norwood a standing ovation when he got off the plane after that kick.

Why? Because we know football. We know it was a difficult kick. We know that there were at least a dozen opportunities during that game that other players missed, and if any one of them had come through, Norwood never would have been in that situation. We also know that if it wasn't for Norwood, we likely wouldn't have made it to that game in the first place.

Yeah, it would have been the most glorious moment ever if he had made that kick. He would be a god. But that loss was not on him and our fan base is educated enough to know it.
                      MiKiDo Facebook
                      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• better days
                        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                        I don't understand this.

All you need to know is that Bills fans gave Norwood a standing ovation when he got off the plane after that kick.

Why? Because we know football. We know it was a difficult kick. We know that there were at least a dozen opportunities during that game that other players missed, and if any one of them had come through, Norwood never would have been in that situation. We also know that if it wasn't for Norwood, we likely wouldn't have made it to that game in the first place.

Yeah, it would have been the most glorious moment ever if he had made that kick. He would be a god. But that loss was not on him and our fan base is educated enough to know it.
                        Yeah, I agree Op. Any memories Yahoo wants to show of that time, the welcoming back to Buffalo after the game would be the most fitting.

And I'm sure footage of that event can be found without too much trouble.

Comment

• WagonCircler
                          Escaped Convict
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                          We also know that if it wasn't for Norwood, we likely wouldn't have made it to that game in the first place..
                          That's a bit of a stretch. We beat the Raiders 51-3 to get to that game. I'm pretty sure a replacement level kicker over the course of that season wouldn't have altered the Bills path to SB XXV.

Comment

• better days
                            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by WagonCircler View Post
                            That's a bit of a stretch. We beat the Raiders 51-3 to get to that game. I'm pretty sure a replacement level kicker over the course of that season wouldn't have altered the Bills path to SB XXV.
                            Norwood made some important kicks to help the Bills win games that season.

Comment

• WagonCircler
                              Escaped Convict
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by better days View Post
                              Norwood made some important kicks to help the Bills win games that season.
                              Important kicks are made all the time, by every kicker in the NFL.

I will agree that Norwood was an excellent kicker, and he was put into a crappy situation. But to say that the Bills couldn't have made it to SB XXV without him is preposterous.

The Bills' Offense was anchored by 3 future (potentially more, if you think, as I do, that Kent Hull may make it in someday) Hall of Famers. It remains to this day one of the greatest Offenses in NFL history.

The Bills Defense was led by arguable the greatest DE of all time, another Hall of Famer, and bolstered by a mix of great and solid players, with one weak link (Jeff Wright).

The Bills flat out ROLLED teams that season. To argue that if they had an average NFL kicker, rather than the above average Norwood, is ridiculous.

Comment

Working...
                              X