X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sudzy
    • Apr 2013

EJ on his way out?

Is former first-round draft pick EJ Manuel the odd man out in Buffalo's tangled pecking order of quarterbacks? Bills coach Rex Ryan made it sound that way on Sunday.

Also I heard that in practice it was Tyrod#1, Cassel #2, EJ working with the 3rds again. Sorry EJ apologist.
  • sudzy
    • Apr 2013

Re: EJ on his way out?

Joe Buscaglia@JoeBuscaglia 5h5 hours ago Into 7 on 7s now and EJ Manuel is still working with the third team. Taylor and Cassel with the 1s. #Bills

Comment

• ICRockets
      Legendary Zoner
      • Jul 2008

I think if he has a strong game on Thursday you have to start him against the Steelers. But I'm 100% in favor of keeping him with the 3s this week. If he wants to be taken seriously in the competition he NEEDS to earn it. It's best for the team and for EJ to make him do so.

Comment

• sudzy
        • Apr 2013

Originally posted by ICRockets View Post
        I think if he has a strong game on Thursday you have to start him against the Steelers. But I'm 100% in favor of keeping him with the 3s this week. If he wants to be taken seriously in the competition he NEEDS to earn it. It's best for the team and for EJ to make him do so.
        The problem with that is, the 3rd game is a tune up for the regular season. You would like to have your starter picked by then and give him a full half and a series. So EJ would have to have a monster game and the other two would have to fall apart.

Comment

• Novacane
          • Jul 2002

If he's not getting any reps with the #1's he's not part of the competition anymore. I don't care what Rex says.

Comment

• sudzy
            • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Novacane View Post
            If he's not getting any reps with the #1's he's not part of the competition anymore. I don't care what Rex says.
            It doesn't sound like he is part of the competition

Ryan refused to promise that Manuel would see first-team reps again before September.

Comment

• Meathead
              Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
              • Jul 2002

well its possible ej might get another shot at the starting job but it looks like he would really have to wow them from here on out. still dont think theres any chance they would release him, that would be dumb

it will be a little surprising if he doesnt get any more chances to start the season. rexy says he hasnt made a determination but at this stage not even getting reps with the twos appears to be a strong indicator that they are letting tyrod and cassel compete for the game one start. its also possible they are giving those two all the ones and twos now to evaluate if tyrod is really ready to start, and/or they are going to keep cassel if they decide to start ty. so its possible they could give ej the start against pittsburgh and just use game 4 for their tuneup instead of game 3. its a risk but it would be acceptable given the difficulty of picking their starting qb out of three guys

seems to me ej has performed the best where it counts most, in the one game and the scrimmage. ty certainly was impressive but i seriously doubt defenses are going to let him hack of chunks of yards with his legs when the games count so hes gonna have to do it mostly with his arm and his college/career stats say he cant get the compl% you need in the nfl. ej has shown the ability to do the conventional passing game and scramble pretty well, albeit with that one bad and embarrassing miss, so if they arent going to give him more time with the ones thats a little surprising

if they are confident in tyrod my hope is that they just release cassel, free themselves of his salary so they can look for some upgrades at oline and de depth (now with wynn gone). that would give them two young-ish passers to move forward with that still have good upside, which cassel doesnt
              Last edited by Meathead; 08-16-2015, 05:04 PM.
              One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• Mace
                Haha...yeah you think so ?
                • Mar 2013

I was really hoping for Manuel, but made a point of saying this would be the year to sort him out. He's looking sorted, it is what it is, but I'm still hoping.

Comment

• Jake
                  • Jun 2015

Originally posted by Mace View Post
                  it is what it is
                  It is.

Comment

• djjimkelly
                    • Apr 2003

doesnt look good for EJ i dont care i dont need to be right. im very surprised .

i just want the bills to win

but rex said dont read into anything.

i would truly love to see rex put ej to 1 week 3 and just trip us all out lol

Comment

• Jimkelly12203
                      • Jun 2015

Im starting to think Taylor might just have a legitimate shot at being our starter.

And if he does enough to earn the gig, then we should all be VERY excited.

I realize it was a pre-season game against second string defense, but i was beyond impressed with him. And no... i'm not impressed with his running ability. I know he has that ****. I was actually impressed with his quick decision making and his passing acumen.

He made at least two great throws that were dropped. One to the end zone. It was quick, accurate and everything you'd like to see. Dude dropped the **** and so it goes down as an incompletion. Whatever....

The way i see it, Tyrod should have one or two more completions in that game. And he was solid regardless.

I'm very excited that this dude is on the team.
                      All Hail Josh Allen! Savior of the Buffalo Bills!

Freedom for the Ukraine. Down with Putin and every traitor in this country that supports him.

Comment

• trapezeus
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Oct 2004

i was hoping EJ would get it during offseason and early camp. i thought he looked good at times and bad at times (not helpful that the center gave him some bad snaps).

his offseason regiment should have helped his accuracy and making better decisions. he needed to come in as a guy who didn't have much backing from the staff and won the competition lights out. the fact it was left this close from OTA's to now shows why he can't win this thing.

of course no one has been lights out yet. but i think cassel's accuracy and ability to run an offense and tyrod's excitement of running but always looking downfield to make a throw first, give them the distinct advantage.

the saddest part of this is that it really comes down to simms. if they think simms is equal to ej, he's the choice. He provides comfort that if the first two could get injured (cassel isn't super durable and tyrod is a qb who operates best out of the pocket) that he can run the offense.

while at the start of camp i didn't want to think the bills would move on from ej, it looks like a sure certainty now.

Comment

• Jimkelly12203
                          • Jun 2015

Originally posted by sudzy View Post
                          The problem with that is, the 3rd game is a tune up for the regular season. You would like to have your starter picked by then and give him a full half and a series. So EJ would have to have a monster game and the other two would have to fall apart.
                          I don't think there's anything EJ can do at this point to get the starting job. The coaches have been with these players long enough at this point to know what they have. I think the only question they have left to answer is whether, when the live(ish) pre-season bullets are flying, Tyrod's electric play gives the team more upside than Cassell's steady but not spectacular game. If Taylor has a big game this Thursday, he may just be the starter. EJ is just too inaccurate and goofy with the ball. He reminds me of Charles Smith on the NY Knicks. If anyone remembers Charles Smith, he IS EJ Manuel. Smith was so freaking talented and had this perfect physique. Everything looked just as you'd want it to. But then he would bobble the ball or screw up the finish at the rim. It was confounding how close that guy was to being great. He was just too uncoordinated to be great, but it was really freaking close.
                          All Hail Josh Allen! Savior of the Buffalo Bills!

Freedom for the Ukraine. Down with Putin and every traitor in this country that supports him.

Comment

• better days
                            • Jan 2010

Any QB the Bills cut, I would expect to be signed by the Jets or Pats* if only for intel on the Bills.

Comment

• trapezeus
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Oct 2004

the throw EJ made with the flick of a wrist and put it right on the money was amazing. but these guys are NFL qbs. they should be able to have good throws on occassion. the key between worst QB in the league and the best is more about prep and consistency.

and EJ hasn't been consistent. and the pressure was up and the competition was on. he needed to win a competition where the actual competition wasn't so great. he hasn't done it, and i think i've seen enough.

i just don't feel comfortable with this team going with 2 qbs (especially with cassel as one of them). but if the bills think the difference between EJ and simms is marginal and that simms can make it to the practice squad, ej is gone and the bills get more depth elsewhere. I also think, cutting him now does very little for hte bills. with 3 more preseason games, lots of team can get an injury bug (including ours) and EJ is a better option than having to call rex grossman at this point.

Comment

Working...
                              X