The Biggest Starting Difference Between Tyrod Taylor and Matt Cassel Is What?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsImpossible
    • Mar 2013

The Biggest Starting Difference Between Tyrod Taylor and Matt Cassel Is What?

Running ability? Advantage Taylor.

Passing ability? Advantage nobody.

Experience? Advantage Cassel.

It's a wash.

When it comes down to who the Week 1 starter will be, I think the biggest difference is game tape, and a lack of it.

Cassel's experience could actually work against him. The Bills opponents have a lot of film on Matt Cassel.

Defensive coordinators and head coaches know Cassel's tendencies, strengths, and weaknesses after 90 games and a 10 year body of work to tear apart 18 hours a day in a dark room.

Teams don't have much to look at when it comes to watching tape on Tyrod Taylor.

1 start and 4 years on the bench. They know he can run, and that's about it. There is no body of work to dissect in a dark room 18 hours a day.

Game planning against Matt Cassel is not difficult. Dave Wannstedt could game plan against Matt Cassel.

How will teams game plan against the unknown in Tyrod Taylor?

I think that's the biggest difference between Tyrod Taylor and Matt Cassel.

It's a huge advantage for the Bills if Tyrod Taylor starts. That would be like putting a blindfold on the opposing team's defensive coordinator.
  • Northern Stampede
    Canadian Son With A Heart Full Of Buffalo
    • Dec 2004

Re: The Biggest Starting Difference Between Tyrod Taylor and Matt Cassel Is What?

Yet to be determined.. Glaring difference is mobility..

Comment

• YardRat
      Well, lookie here...
      • Dec 2004

Re: The Biggest Starting Difference Between Tyrod Taylor and Matt Cassel Is What?

Taylor is easy to defend. Stack the box, spy, and make him beat you with his arm.
      YardRat Wall of Fame
      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Night Train
        Retired - On Several Levels
        • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Northern Stampede View Post
        Yet to be determined.. Glaring difference is mobility..
        Indeed.

Taylor starts tomorrow and with all the minor injuries to the starters at the O skill positions , I expect lots of handoffs .

I don't expect to see much outside of run blocking practice.

Any throws will be a bonus.

Analyzing the QB's off tomorrow nights game will not tell us much.
        Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
          • Aug 2004

The "IT" factor, from what my friends who saw him play (including camp). I myself haven't seen him play live, so I won't comment. But I know this, if he does show that he has "it", the football sense, then I'd take him along with his limitations.

Flutie or Rob Johnson, I'd take Flutie every time as a football player no matter if he is a scumbag or not.

Losman or Edwards, I'd take Edwards every time.

Edwards or Fitzpatrick, I'd go with Fitz.

This is the main problem I have with Buddy Nix, the GM on drafting QBs. Too much was put on prototype size and measurements. At the QB position what goes above shoulder is much more important than any height, hand sizes etc. QBs with size and football smarts, plus college records are going to be drafted very high. But if you are going to gamble on a later rounds QB, I'd gamble on ones with football smarts, not with size and measurable.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
            Taylor is easy to defend. Stack the box, spy, and make him beat you with his arm.
            That's true of all three QBs. No DC is quaking at having to gameplan for Matt Cassel.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• The Jokeman
              • Dec 2003

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
              That's true of all three QBs. No DC is quaking at having to gameplan for Matt Cassel.
              They might not quake to game plan Cassel but some of the things that you do to stop Tyrod you also do to stop the running backs basically killing two birds with one stone. Cassel showed in the 1st Quarter against the Panthers that he can move the ball down field without a running game unlike Tyrod.

Comment

• Uncle Jesse
                • Sep 2004

Cassel is a better passer, especially in the short and intermediate stuff. He also has was more experience. Taylor will be forced to throw a lot, and will probably end up hurt anyway. I'd much prefer Cassel Week 1.

Comment

• Night Train
                  Retired - On Several Levels
                  • Jul 2005

Originally posted by The Jokeman View Post
                  They might not quake to game plan Cassel but some of the things that you do to stop Tyrod you also do to stop the running backs basically killing two birds with one stone. Cassel showed in the 1st Quarter against the Panthers that he can move the ball down field without a running game unlike Tyrod.
                  Taylors first 2 drives resulted in TD's.

He also had two long passes go right through the WR's hands.

Cassel was Trentative 2.0. 45 yards on 7 completions while checking down. A good backup type and little else.
                  Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• YardRat
                    Well, lookie here...
                    • Dec 2004

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
                    Yes, it is.
                    YardRat Wall of Fame
                    #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• YardRat
                      Well, lookie here...
                      • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
                      I still have to catch the TV replays of those three passes, but from my perspective they were all thrown too far to the outside.
                      YardRat Wall of Fame
                      #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                        • Mar 2005

You start a thread by asking a question and than answer it with your opinion.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                          • Mar 2005

I'd like to see if Taylor can handle a mediocre opponent in a meaningless pre-season game. Let's not forget that he wasn't great in pre-season a year ago.

Since he's being given the starters let hope this isn't Ravens 2.0

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                            Pinkerton's son
                            • Feb 2006

the biggest difference is experience and consistency, in Cassel's favor - Im not stoked about going into the season with Cassel as our QB but I think he has the best chance of consistently getting our playmakers the ball. Admittedly part of this is me not having seen much (NONE) of Taylor, so just my opinion

Comment

• The Jokeman
                              • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
                              Taylors first 2 drives resulted in TD's.

Cassel was Trentative 2.0. 45 yards on 7 completions while checking down. A good backup type and little else.
                              When the Panthers started playing back more Tyrod started to struggle. I re-watched the game last night and Tyrod seems to eye his first receiver and when not open then runs or he will just blindly throw a pass to a spot and hope his WR gets there. It's a recipe for disaster.

Comment

Working...
                              X