• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Haile SpikedLemonade
    • Jun 2024

Dareus Talks At Standstill

Dareus Talks At Standstill:

John Warrow of the Associated Press is reporting that talks between the Bills and Marcell Dareus are at an impasse with neither side exchanging offers in the past three weeks. The AP article quoted two sources familiar with the negotiations that spoke anonymously since the talks are private. One source says weeks have gone by since proposals were exchanged raising concerns a new deal will not happen before the season starts. That was the goal to get the deal done but the report says it isn't a hard deadline. Dareus is due to become an unrestricted free agent after this season but the Bills do have the franchise tag at their disposal.

Don't miss an update on the latest NFL news. Follow for scores, news, stats, and more.

Last edited by Guest; 08-20-2015, 01:43 PM.
  • streetkings01
    • Jul 2006

Re: Dareus Talks At Standstill

Dareus aint getting out of Buffalo......not worried.
    You can call me streetkings

Comment

• trapezeus
      Legendary Zoner
      • Oct 2004

i always find the "just before the season" contract an odd one. You have players getting into shape, injuries can happen. You have them on the contract already. yes, you run the risk of him playing even better, but with where he is at right now, what is the contract figures between him today and him putting up another dominant season? I would think marginally more.

What's the chance he gets hurt and cannot return to pro bowl levels again? i would think a lot more.

Comment

• Mace
        Haha...yeah you think so ?
        • Mar 2013

Originally posted by trapezeus View Post
        i always find the "just before the season" contract an odd one. You have players getting into shape, injuries can happen. You have them on the contract already. yes, you run the risk of him playing even better, but with where he is at right now, what is the contract figures between him today and him putting up another dominant season? I would think marginally more.

What's the chance he gets hurt and cannot return to pro bowl levels again? i would think a lot more.
        That pretty much explains both sides of the negotiation when you flip it to Dareus' perspective.

My baseline is always the 90's Bills. They took some injuries sure, but they had players who were really happy being here and maintained a loyalty to the organization that far outweighs the money that they were paid even after salary realities forced changes later.

You get guys who love playing together with one another, treat them right and they bend (renegotiate) for one another under the current structure and maintain a dedicated loyalty that will pay off.

My biggest worry is always that the player doesn't really care. Just my opinion, I think Dareus does, his peers do also, and this will work out this time. This is probably as close to a "band of brothers" sense I've had from this team since the 90's, and I think Pegulas can be pretty persuasive at crunch time.

Comment

• Thurmal
          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by trapezeus View Post

I don't know; I think the odds are a lot better that he kicks ass (like almost all players do in contract years), heads into the offseason a free agent, and gets an out-of-this-world offer from another team with more cap space.
          "Miami played pretty damn good today and still got their ass kicked."

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
            • Jun 2024

Dismiss yourself of the notion of a "hometown discount". There is no longer such a thing.

A player's agent will not allow it and will remind the player that he is doing a great disservice to his fellow players by accepting less than the market or by not setting the new market.

Every player is maximizing each and every contract.

Comment

• Mace
              • Mar 2013

Originally posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
              Dismiss yourself of the notion of a "hometown discount". There is no longer such a thing.

A player's agent will not allow it and will remind the player that he is doing a great disservice to his fellow players by accepting less than the market or by not setting the new market.

Every player is maximizing each and every contract.
              Mostly nowadays that means minimizing what you know you won't see anyway and knowing you will all juggle numbers to extend your career in optimal circumstances. It's way worse with QB's who are probably the only positional players as a whole to try and break the bank obliviously. Most other relative non-skill "stars" focus on breaking the bank a few years at a time figuring they all keep renegotiating one another for the next cycle as long as the cycles don't match.

They mostly maximize contracts they won't finish and it's still doable with this team and the cycles as long as no temp player becomes a superstar must have.

Comment

• YardRat
                Well, lookie here...
                • Dec 2004

If I were Dareus, any number under six figures would encourage me to stand still too.
                YardRat Wall of Fame
                #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Mace
                  • Mar 2013

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                  If I were Dareus, any number under six figures would encourage me to stand still too.
                  I'm not Dareus and if I don't see 7 figures I get snarky. Causes issues when I return my cans. I'm always so close...

Comment

• YardRat
                    Well, lookie here...
                    • Dec 2004

****. I meant nine.
                    YardRat Wall of Fame
                    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                      • May 2009

Should have traded him for Phil Rivers while they still had a chance. He's a goner.

Comment

Working...
                      X