X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

Tyrod vs EJ

Now that I've seen Tyrod live, gotta handed it to him - Yes I'd go with him given the state of Bills QB situation.

The main reason: he has the "it" factor. More decisive, smooth operation. I do think he'll have some struggle in the red zone if the Bills cannot run the football there because I don't think he can make the kind of crisp middle of the field throws like EJ. I've said it before, I'll always take a guy who has more football feel and IQ than a guy with better physical skills.

Without a doubt EJ is the best pure thrower on the entire field today. I'm glad to see more accuracy to the outside and more decisive throws to the middle (something he should be doing a lot more often and a lot more sooner given his physical statue). But he still looks mechanical and hesitant under duress, unlike Tyrod.

Given time in the backup role, I imagine he could become another Cassel. I watched him live in person last year in Heinz field during the preseason. There is no denying he has taken a step forward this time compared to a year ago. He just may not be a starting material in NFL, but as long as he progresses, I see he can serve in a backup role pretty well.
  • ublinkwescore
    Sab and TD are insignificant
    • Sep 2002

Re: Tyrod vs EJ

he was accurate with the ball too. and with second string wrs and backs.

Tyrod or Bust.
    www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Comment

• The Jokeman
      • Dec 2003

Originally posted by ublinkwescore View Post
      he was accurate with the ball too. and with second string wrs and backs.

Tyrod or Bust.
      Tyrod played well enough tonight that he deserves to be talked about with Cassel as the possible starter but hasn't earned the position in my eyes. To me I give him and Cassel two series each with the number 1s against the Steelers. The guy who performs the best wins.
      Last edited by The Jokeman; 08-20-2015, 09:34 PM.

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

I missed the first half so I can't comment on Tyrod.

EJ made some nice moves to avoid pressure but all his throws were a little off. Some slowed the WR down and allowed the D to catch up, some forced the WR to lay out and cost the YAC that would have resulted if he hit the WR in stride. And he was playing against 3rd stringers. He wasn't awful but he doesn't look like someone that has been there for 2 years. I see zero progress.
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• The Jokeman
          • Dec 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post

EJ made some nice moves to avoid pressure but all his throws were a little off. Some slowed the WR down and allowed the D to catch up, some forced the WR to lay out and cost the YAC that would have resulted if he hit the WR in stride. And he was playing against 3rd stringers. He wasn't awful but he doesn't look like someone that has been there for 2 years. I see zero progress.
          I think EJ's been more consistant (for him) than he had been under Marrone/Hacket. Of course it could be a result of playing with backups or a better coach in Roman. To me he is worthy of a roster spot. I keep him around because I am not 100% sold on Tyrod. As sure he's demonstrated some good things but hasn't been great but then again nor has Cassel.
          Last edited by The Jokeman; 08-20-2015, 09:34 PM.

Comment

• Thurmal
            • Oct 2005

He was extremely composed. Converted a lot of third downs and never got rattled. Thought he did a great job considering he was playing with 6th string RBs and 5th string receivers. Not exactly John Elway or anything, but he can make some plays.
            "Miami played pretty damn good today and still got their ass kicked."

Comment

• Jimkelly12203
              • Jun 2015

The question is not Tyrod or EJ. It's Tyrod or Cassel...
              All Hail Josh Allen! Savior of the Buffalo Bills!

Freedom for the Ukraine. Down with Putin and every traitor in this country that supports him.

Comment

• cookie G
                • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Jimkelly12203 View Post
                The question is not Tyrod or EJ. It's Tyrod or Cassel...
                nah, if it ever was a question, it isn't now.

There's 0 reason to waste any time starting CasEdwards.

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

Originally posted by The Jokeman View Post
                  I think EJ's been more consistant (for him) than he had been under Marrone/Hacket. Of course it could be a result of playing with backups or a better coach in Roman. To me he is worthy of a roster spot. I keep him around because I am not 100% sold on Tyrod. As sure he's demonstrated some good things but hasn't been great but then again nor has Cassel.
                  Given how cheap EJ is and the fact that he has a full camp to learn the system, I think we'd be hard-pressed to do better. My comments were more along the lines of his future than whether or not we should keep him on the roster.
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Jimkelly12203
                    • Jun 2015

Originally posted by cookie G View Post
                    nah, if it ever was a question, it isn't now.

There's 0 reason to waste any time starting CasEdwards.
                    I would name Taylor tonight if i was Rex.
                    All Hail Josh Allen! Savior of the Buffalo Bills!

Freedom for the Ukraine. Down with Putin and every traitor in this country that supports him.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                      • Dec 2003

Given how cheap EJ is and the fact that he has a full camp to learn the system, I think we'd be hard-pressed to do better. My comments were more along the lines of his future than whether or not we should keep him on the roster.
                      IF EJ has the true desire to be a starting QB he won't come back after his rookie contract ends unless something happens the next two seasons. I have a feeling that the Cassel/Tyrod show (and maybe with EJ in a game or two) might earn us a playoff spot this year and whomever starts the most games will be our QB in 2016 as well but not be shocked if we draft a QB next year to develop. I like and respect EJ and love to see him stick around but don't see it happening long term.

Comment

• Thurmal
                        • Oct 2005

Yup. First time IN A LONG TIME that I've seen a Bills QB show some serious poise. I think that they have Cassell slotted in as the #2 either way. Manuel looked pretty good at the end of the game too, so we might as well hold on to him, just in case.
                        "Miami played pretty damn good today and still got their ass kicked."

Comment

• The Jokeman
                          • Dec 2003

Rex has a tough decision to make, he mentioned that he feels this is his last chance at being a HC in the NFL and he doesn't want to make the same mistakes he made with the Jets. If you look at his track record with the Jets one could argue one of his biggest mistakes is sticking with QBs who had little to no NFL experience when he went with Sanchez/Geno Smith I can imagine he has some small worry doing the same by going with Tyrod. It's a big reason that Cassel is still in this battle not to mention the Bills almost made the playoffs last year with a similar QB in Orton. As Tyrod's looked good this preseason but doesn't have a good regular season NFL resume. Also those first two games against the Colts/Patriots are critical games for the Bills' chances making the playoffs (similar to last year's losses to San Diego and Houston). If we faulter early it could hurt us at our chances to make the playoffs which is Rex's (and managements) goal this season.

Comment

• ublinkwescore
                            Sab and TD are insignificant
                            • Sep 2002

He has to. if he doesn't, he risks losing this locker room, or at least building some doubt within it.

Let's not forget, Tyrod, without Watkins, Harvin, Woods, McCoy, Jackson, or Karlos Williams engineered a drive that started at our own 15, and took us to field goal range slowly and methodically - those kinds of drives will wear a defense out and that is what this type of football is all about - ball control, wear the D out, make it easier to move the ball later in the game, keep the other team's offense off the field - we don't need to score more than 20 points a week to finish with a playoff worthy record this year. but Tyrod will put more points on the board than any other qb on this roster.

we had the ball for the first 8 minutes of the first quarter. Our D got it back to us as well before the quarter was over.

- - - Updated - - -

the only thing Manuel is consistent at is being inconsistent.
                            www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Comment

• The Jokeman
                              • Dec 2003

Originally posted by ublinkwescore View Post
                              He has to. if he doesn't, he risks losing this locker room, or at least building some doubt within it.

Let's not forget, Tyrod, without Watkins, Harvin, Woods, McCoy, Jackson, or Karlos Williams engineered a drive that started at our own 15, and took us to field goal range slowly and methodically - those kinds of drives will wear a defense out and that is what this type of football is all about - ball control, wear the D out, make it easier to move the ball later in the game, keep the other team's offense off the field - we don't need to score more than 20 points a week to finish with a playoff worthy record this year. but Tyrod will put more points on the board than any other qb on this roster.

we had the ball for the first 8 minutes of the first quarter. Our D got it back to us as well before the quarter was over.

- - - Updated - - -

the only thing Manuel is consistent at is being inconsistent.
                              Tyrod didn't lead us to any points on that long drive tonight. His sack took them off the board. The drive that lead us to the FG was 39 yards. Let's not make Tyrod better than he is. That said I agree EJ shouldn't be in the starting discussion even though statistically he's out performed every other QB in the scrimmage/pre-season games this year.

Comment

Working...
                              X