PDA

View Full Version : Who is your starting QB

The King
08-21-2015, 06:16 AM
Let's put it to a vote who do you want starting for the Bills Week 1 against Indy.

The King
08-21-2015, 06:18 AM
I am fine with Cassell or Taylor but I think Taylor creates more of a challenge on defense so I'd give him the edge.

T-Long
08-21-2015, 06:20 AM
I thought I was going to go with Cassel as well, but I really am getting sold on Tyrod's skill set and ability to make plays with his legs. Just makes me nervous when he is running all over the place. I keep picturing Manuel's injury last year in Cleveland. But I think Cassel/EJ make great backups just in case he does get hurt.

I'm all aboard the Tyrod Train!

HHURRICANE
08-21-2015, 06:21 AM
Cassel's lack of playing last night tells me that Tyrod had to win the job last night. Not sure he did that. Coaches have to be leaning towards the vet and so am I.

Night Train
08-21-2015, 06:26 AM
It's not " my starting QB " since my internet verbiage means nothing. It's really up to Roman and Rex.

With Taylor, the read option is part of the playbook. Roman wants that.

The OL looked good in run blocking but a bit suspect in pass blocking, at present. Another reason for Taylor.

I do believe entering the Cleveland game the Bills were comfortable with what Cassel could do in his limited way and knew they could always fall back on him. Thus, his vacation for the night.

At camp, I saw Taylor deliver the ball to the receivers better than the other 2. Little has changed after 2 pre-season games.

The Bills seem to want a young Vick/Russel Wilson type with mobility. Taylor again.

JoeMama
08-21-2015, 07:01 AM
Still a ways to go before I throw my weight behind a particular QB yet.

But I gotta admit, Tyrod Taylor threw some lasers last night. His two passes to Deonte Thompson and one pass to Charles Clay and all were things of beauty. And EJ Manuel, god bless the kid, actually looked good. Like he wants to make this QB decision as hard as possible on ol' Rex.

I also love the way Greg Roman is mixing in the QB option and play action to keep D's on their toes. Taylor really runs those plays well.

I know a guy like Taylor can be figured out pretty quickly over the course of the regular season (most DC's just shadow an LB on them to contain them in the pocket), but Taylor did enough with his arm to show that maybe -- MAYBE -- he can be a solid passer, not just a archetypal running QB that can't do much else.

My impression of last night was an exceptionally positive one.

And almost never say that about a preseason game.

trapezeus
08-21-2015, 07:04 AM
Cassel's lack of playing last night tells me that Tyrod had to win the job last night. Not sure he did that. Coaches have to be leaning towards the vet and so am I.

what would have sold you on tyrod? i think Td's would have been nice, but he made a TD type throw that could have been fought for harder. i saw rythm for the offense and it didn't look tentative. it looked fairly decisive. in a second preseason game for a guy who doesn't have starts, that's pretty good.

that being said, i wouldnt be crushed if cassel was named the starter, but i think Tyrod has a lot more upside and make the bills offense a lot more dynamic.

Meathead
08-21-2015, 07:11 AM
my mom and my great aunt were playing wr and rb last night and ty STILL looked amazing

notacon
08-21-2015, 07:17 AM
You should have another choice...."none of the above".

OpIv37
08-21-2015, 07:32 AM
You should have another choice...."none of the above".

In an ideal world we'd have a better option.

In the real world, who are we going to get in the next 3 weeks that would be better than any of those 3?

Forward_Lateral
08-21-2015, 08:08 AM
Taylor and it's not close. You want to run the living snot out of the ball? Tyrod is the obvious choice. He gives the team another dimension in the running game, and he's accurate enough in the passing game to do well off of play action.

better days
08-21-2015, 08:13 AM
I voted for EJ because so far he is the only QB to put points on the board & he did that in both games.

But Tyrod is electric as I said before & I would be happy if he is named the starter as well.

If Rex & Roman want to play it safe, Cassel will be named the starter & I can live with that, but he is the most boring, least dynamic of all the Bills QB's.

Yasgur's Farm
08-21-2015, 08:17 AM
Why I voted for EJ...

QB Box Score through scrimmage and 2nd preseason game...

Manuel - 18/33 - 292 yds - 8.85 yds/a - 3 td's - 0 int's - 117.23 pr
Taylor - 20/31 - 191 yds - 6.16 yds/a - 0 td's - 0 int's - 81.52 pr
Cassel - 9/14 - 72 yds - 5.14 yds/a - 0 td's - 0 int's - 77.08 pr

That's not just a small difference!

BuffaloRedleg
08-21-2015, 08:59 AM
Some people are struggling here to hate T Mobile.

All the cliches are getting thrown around with a complete disregard with the fact that there isn't a single QB in the league who could turn an offense with zero starting RBs and WRs into a jaw dropping performance.

OpIv37
08-21-2015, 09:05 AM

All the cliches are getting thrown around with a complete disregard with the fact that there isn't a single QB in the league who could turn an offense with zero starting RBs and WRs into a jaw dropping performance.

3 points and an 81 passer rating in a preseason game against Cleveland is "jaw-dropping" now?

djjimkelly
08-21-2015, 09:05 AM
and i too voted for EJ.

1 simple reason he is built to play qb for the bills.

he is 6-8 with coach moron as his coach i say he is an over 500 qb with roman and rex and this D

he also has the best arm

BuffaloRedleg
08-21-2015, 09:14 AM
3 points and an 81 passer rating in a preseason game against Cleveland is "jaw-dropping" now?

First off, I didn't say it was jaw dropping.

Second, you didn't watch the game so you don't get to comment because you don't understand the context of those stats.

If you watched the game, you'd know he looked decent especially given the fact he had zero starting WRs and QBs. How people keep ignoring this is beyond me.

Look, if you are having trouble, just google Tyrod Taylor and you'll see that all the news is positive. That doesn't mean anything major, but clearly everything is leaning positive in the media.

Jimkelly12203
08-21-2015, 09:21 AM
Why I voted for EJ...

Who were those QBs playing with and against when those stats were compiled? Ones, twos or threes? And why is it that EJ has been getting almost all of his time with the threes? Does the coaching staff hate him? Is it a conspiracy to thwart the progress of a former first round pick? You're leaving out a HUGE piece of information. The raw numbers without any context are meaningless.

Ingtar33
08-21-2015, 09:40 AM

tyrod had a bunch of 3rd stringers at RB and WR to throw to, the onlything first string about the lineup last night was the offensive line, and the browns DL ate them for lunch. Tyrod was pressured mercilessly all night, rarely had a pocket, and kept making one smart football play after another in the face of that pressure. He threw into the blitz, he scrambled out of pressure, and hit men on the run, he completed a very high number of passes to covered WRs by fitting it into tight windows, and when he ran i think he was averaging 10 yards a carry.

I would have liked some more points out of the starting unit too, but that was hardly the bills starting offense. that was 6-7 starters and 5-6 scrubs vs the browns starting defense minus 1 CB. and we pretty much played ball control, smash mouth football. it looked rather good to me. The worst play of the night for Taylor was on 3rd down in the red zone, when he took the lone sack he gave up all night. it made what would have been an easy FG into a moderately difficult one.

IlluminatusUIUC
08-21-2015, 09:42 AM
I'd like to see if EJ has made any progress against 1st team Ds by playing him in Game 3, but if I had to pick a starter now it is hard not to say Taylor.

chernobylwraiths
08-21-2015, 09:42 AM
I wanted EJ to take the starting job, and although I don't think he played bad, I feel that the job is Taylor's to lose. I feel you have to put the guy on the field that will give you the most matchup problems. Cassel will be the backup for the season. I feel if Taylor gets hurt, then EJ takes the job, but if a QB has to come into the game because of injury or ineffectiveness, it will be Cassel.

MillsapsBillsFan
08-21-2015, 09:54 AM
I picked Tyrod because thats who I think would be the started if the season started tomorrow. But I think that EJ has played very well compared to previous years and that he has earned the chance to play with the ones and fight for the starting nod. Unfortunately, I'm not sure the coaching staff feels the same way.

Also for those saying that oh Tyrod didnt have all the starters and he played above average (I struggle to call it great), EJ didnt have a single starter, yeah he played against worse competition but he also got 0 help from his O-line and his WR's and he still managed to lead a game winning drive (which he has done multiple times in his career now). Granted he was playing against worse competition but not playing with the best players has to go both ways. Its cant be a positive for Tyrod and a negative for EJ.

Cassel is what he is, and I dont think that hes a starter. But we'll see what happens this week and what the coaching staff says now.

Mr. Pink
08-21-2015, 10:19 AM
I have to pick one of those?

Victor7
08-21-2015, 10:26 AM
Cassel

Taylor as exciting as he can be will be figured out by DC's in no time. Make him beat you with his passing and not his legs and it will all be most likely over. I don't see a consistent passer in him. The running style is also the quickest way to the injury report.

EJ is just not reliable. He'll have a great play followed by air mailing a pass 5 yards off the mark. His inaccuracy is the stuff of legends. Certainly not him.

MC is very unspectacular but for the most part the one better suited for what we need which is average play with little mistakes. He is also the most experienced.

better days
08-21-2015, 10:33 AM
Cassel

Taylor as exciting as he can be will be figured out by DC's in no time. Make him beat you with his passing and not his legs and it will all be most likely over. I don't see a consistent passer in him. The running style is also the quickest way to the injury report.

EJ is just not reliable. He'll have a great play followed by air mailing a pass 5 yards off the mark. His inaccuracy is the stuff of legends. Certainly not him.

MC is very unspectacular but for the most part the one better suited for what we need which is average play with little mistakes. He is also the most experienced.

And you don't think teams will know how to defend against Cassel?

Just stack the line of scrimmage & dare him to throw downfield.

And that will make running the ball more difficult as well.

TacklingDummy
08-21-2015, 10:47 AM
EJ should be the starter.

Victor7
08-21-2015, 11:05 AM
And you don't think teams will know how to defend against Cassel?

Just stack the line of scrimmage & dare him to throw downfield.

And that will make running the ball more difficult as well.

Lets go then

With Sammy and Harvin I'll take my chances.

Teams will stack the line vs whoever we send out there anyway. We are a running team. We have to be able to overcome that.

ublinkwescore
08-21-2015, 11:16 AM

Just out of curiosity... are you bipolar?

ublinkwescore
08-21-2015, 11:29 AM
Why I voted for EJ...

Ummmm... EJ only threw 2 touchdowns.

Yasgur's Farm
08-21-2015, 11:41 AM
Ummmm... EJ only threw 2 touchdowns.Read again...

trapezeus
08-21-2015, 11:42 AM
Why I voted for EJ...

yet the guys who play with the starteres are more consistent when you watch the game. they don't take the sack. they don't worm burn passes. they don't have 3 and outs. that was the difference between tyrod and ej. ej had three and outs. and some of his longer drives required penalities to extend it. even the 4th down on the winning pass had like 2 redos.

with limited game planning, the other two show a consistency with the offens. and that is something we didn't have last year. we had a pile of 3 and outs. how many times last year did we say, "we could have won if we just had one drive." well you have two guys not named EJ who have shown that thus far.

i like Ej and hope he gets it, but i don't see a difference from his rookie year to his 3rd year. that's the problem. the ej haters point that out and they want to see him fail. as a guy who likes ej, i see that weakness and point that out.

the bills have to select a qb from a weak crop. liking the best of the crop doesn't say that they are allstars.

Captain gameboy
08-21-2015, 11:57 AM
I would give EJ first team reps this week, then start him game 3.

Trick or treat game for him. By half time, the decision should be more obvious.

I am pleasantly surprised by the offense this preseason, which I attribute to Roman and a better O line.

I feel like we know Cassell and Tyrod.

I don't think we know the 2015 EJ, but he sure looks better than in the past. I really wonder if the difference in practice/meetings is so significant that the clear demotion is warranted, because I sure don't see a differentiation in games.

ublinkwescore
08-21-2015, 12:02 PM
I don't want any bills qb to fail. But I damn sure don't want any thing less than the best possible qb hitting the field for Buffalo. That qb is, without a doubt at this very moment, Tyrod "the Terminator"Taylor.

better days
08-21-2015, 12:22 PM
I don't want any bills qb to fail. But I damn sure don't want any thing less than the best possible qb hitting the field for Buffalo. That qb is, without a doubt at this very moment, Tyrod "the Terminator"Taylor.

T Mobile

BuffaloRedleg
08-21-2015, 12:41 PM
Enough with the dink and dunk bull****. Watch this highlight film.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000513881/Preseason-Week-2-Tyrod-Taylor-highlights

Mr. Pink
08-21-2015, 12:48 PM
Enough with the dink and dunk bull****. Watch this highlight film.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000513881/Preseason-Week-2-Tyrod-Taylor-highlights

:rofl: 2 of his passes went for 45 yards. His other 8 passes gained 20 yards. What do you call that?

BuffaloRedleg
08-21-2015, 12:52 PM
:rofl: 2 of his passes went for 45 yards. His other 8 passes gained 20 yards. What do you call that?

What world do you live in where those aren't normal stats even for pretty good QBs? I bet if you looked at the typical distribution of good QBs those would line up pretty well.

Peyton Manning's career Yard per Attempt is 7.7. Tyrod averageg 6.5, with every single starting WR and RB injured. Plus he rushed for 41 yards.

The video also doesn't include the 2 times he through deep and they were dropped.

I'm confident you never watched the game.

Mr. Pink
08-21-2015, 12:59 PM
What world do you live in where those aren't normal stats even for pretty good QBs? I bet if you looked at the typical distribution of good QBs those would line up pretty well.

The video also doesn't include the 2 times he through deep and they were dropped.

I'm confident you never watched the game.

You be confident in that all you want.

Taylor is a run first QB who more often than not is gonna throw 3-5 yard dumpoffs. The same thing QBs have done here since Bledsoe left and the same thing everyone on this board has hated. When he does actually throw the ball he's no different than Cassel, Edwards, Manuel, Fitz, Holcomb. But the difference is he can run around and that gets people excited!

He's a running back who throws the ball a little. No more, no less.

The funny part is this is a board who constantly lambasted Michael Vick for his playing style and Vick is 100 times the QB that Taylor will ever be.

BuffaloRedleg
08-21-2015, 01:06 PM
You be confident in that all you want.

Taylor is a run first QB who more often than not is gonna throw 3-5 yard dumpoffs. The same thing QBs have done here since Bledsoe left and the same thing everyone on this board has hated. When he does actually throw the ball he's no different than Cassel, Edwards, Manuel, Fitz, Holcomb. But the difference is he can run around and that gets people excited!

He's a running back who throws the ball a little. No more, no less.

The funny part is this is a board who constantly lambasted Michael Vick for his playing style and Vick is 100 times the QB that Taylor will ever be.

You can think what you want and you may be right, but the evidence of yesterday's game suggests otherwise. He was not dink and dunk and he tried to stretch the field. He didn't have any regular starters at skill positions on offense and still moved the ball on long sustained drives, including I think 3 3rd and longs through the air.

better days
08-21-2015, 01:23 PM
You can think what you want and you may be right, but the evidence of yesterday's game suggests otherwise. He was not dink and dunk and he tried to stretch the field. He didn't have any regular starters at skill positions on offense and still moved the ball on long sustained drives, including I think 3 3rd and longs through the air.

The difference between Tyrod & those other QB's is Tyrod threw the ball at least NEAR the LOS on 3rd down sometimes well past the distance needed to pick up the first down.

ALL the others including Cassel would throw well short of the first down & it was not likely the team would pick up the first down.

Mr. Pink
08-21-2015, 01:42 PM

And Cleveland didn't have their top corner and had a special teamer playing corner all game long.

Both teams had injuries. But keep making excuses.

sudzy
08-21-2015, 01:45 PM
I voted Taylor, but, I'm alright with Cassel. As long as EJ never sees the field again.

BuffaloRedleg
08-21-2015, 01:46 PM
And Cleveland didn't have their top corner and had a special teamer playing corner all game long.

Both teams had injuries. But keep making excuses.

That's not making excuses. He performed well even with the starters being out. That's not an excuse for poor performance, that's a great success.

Jesus Christ nobody is saying he is the savior. It's just that he's the best out of a crop of 3 unproven/poor choices. Why are you fighting that so hard? It's not even that impressive of a feat.

Mr. Pink
08-21-2015, 03:00 PM
That's not making excuses. He performed well even with the starters being out. That's not an excuse for poor performance, that's a great success.

Jesus Christ nobody is saying he is the savior. It's just that he's the best out of a crop of 3 unproven/poor choices. Why are you fighting that so hard? It's not even that impressive of a feat.

He's done absolutely nothing to show he's the best of the bunch, that's my point.

None of these guys have shown to be better than the rest so far and it's 1a, 1b, 1c with no discernible order.

In the NFL when you have 3 QBs, you have none.

BuffaloRedleg
08-21-2015, 03:48 PM
He's done absolutely nothing to show he's the best of the bunch, that's my point.

None of these guys have shown to be better than the rest so far and it's 1a, 1b, 1c with no discernible order.

In the NFL when you have 3 QBs, you have none.

Now you are being ridiculous. Logically speaking, 1 of them will better than the rest. That doesn't make him good, but there absolutely is a discernible difference between the 3 QBs.

Mr. Pink
08-21-2015, 03:56 PM
Now you are being ridiculous. Logically speaking, 1 of them will better than the rest. That doesn't make him good, but there absolutely is a discernible difference between the 3 QBs.

How do you figure?

What has Taylor, since he's your dog in this fight, done to distance himself from Matt Cassel or EJ Manuel during the games?

Taylor led the first team offense to a FG, so did Cassel. Taylor led the second team to TDs, well Manuel led the 3rd team to TDs in both games.

Out of the group the best passer so far has been EJ Manuel but he screws up other plays that drags him back to the pack, like fumbling 2 out of his first 3 plays the first week or fumbling down near the goal line last night.

better days
08-21-2015, 04:01 PM
How do you figure?

What has Taylor, since he's your dog in this fight, done to distance himself from Matt Cassel or EJ Manuel during the games?

Taylor led the first team offense to a FG, so did Cassel. Taylor led the second team to TDs, well Manuel led the 3rd team to TDs in both games.

Out of the group the best passer so far has been EJ Manuel but he screws up other plays that drags him back to the pack, like fumbling 2 out of his first 3 plays the first week or fumbling down near the goal line last night.

The OL can be blamed for those fumbles more than EJ.

And Tyrod has a better yds per attempt than Cassel.

Yasgur's Farm
08-21-2015, 05:05 PM
Tsk, tsk BD... Haven't you heard that we mustn't use stats?

ublinkwescore
08-21-2015, 05:22 PM
The fans clearly want Tyrod. The media likes the guy. I'm willing to bet the players are pulling for him as well. If any one other than Tyrod starts, I think Rex will lose the locker room.

better days
08-21-2015, 05:24 PM

Well, EJ & Tyrod both passed the eyeball test over Cassel as well.

YardRat
08-21-2015, 05:24 PM
I trepidatiously voted for Tyrod, just because I'm ready to roll the dice on somebody different. We all know what Cassel and EJ bring to the table, and it isn't enough. I don't want another caretaker with a low ceiling (Cassel) and if EJ could manage to play an entire game like he does the last two minutes I might feel differently, but so far he hasn't been able to do that.

BillsImpossible
08-21-2015, 05:27 PM
The fans clearly want Tyrod. The media likes the guy. I'm willing to bet the players are pulling for him as well. If any one other than Tyrod starts, I think Rex will lose the locker room.

Fred Jackson's comment the other day about Taylor being, 'the most physically gifted quarterback in the league,' pretty much sums up how the players feel.

BillsImpossible
08-21-2015, 05:51 PM
I think Taylor won the job in the first preseason game, but last night sealed the deal. Taylor was very impressive, again.

In the face of adversity, he played excellent against the Browns. They had the NFL's 8th best passing defense last year.

If Cassel started that game, the Bills defense would have been on the field a lot more than they were and the quarterback competition would be over.

I love Tyrod Taylor's throwing motion. It's as quick as his decision making. He has the ability to extend drives more than Cassel.

Taylor was a very good, accurate passer last night with 2nd team wide receivers and fresh off the street running backs to work with against Mike Pettine's starting defense.

The Jokeman
08-21-2015, 05:57 PM

Tyrod's NFL preseason and regular season resume is worse than RJ's when he got here and been in NFL for 4 seasons whereas RJ had only 3. Oh and RJ was a 4th Rounder and Tyrod was a 6th Rounder. I hope Tyrod proves better but am not buying into the magic hype machine.

The Jokeman
08-21-2015, 06:05 PM

Lose the locker room huh? It doesn't sound like they're aligning to one guy yet from this article. http://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2015/08/what_buffalo_bills_are_saying_about_quarterback_battle_ej_manuel_tyrod_taylor.html#incart_related_stories

Buffalogic
08-21-2015, 06:05 PM
Cassel

Mace
08-21-2015, 06:26 PM
Well, I wanted Manuel, would have settled for Cassel, voted for Taylor.

Why ? To me, and it's just my perception, Taylor looks the most dynamic at this point, the best maybe, best wildcard, and not reckless in being so. Cassel just seems the most average, least likely to make a mistake, least likely to do anything that thrills you.

I like and hope for Manuel, really I do, but he seems to me to be the least decisive, the most passive, tentative, like he just struggles to make himself go balls to the wall on most plays. Does ok when he does in spots, then goes tentative and passive again.

BillsImpossible
08-21-2015, 06:42 PM
Cassel

Cassel is the embodiment of the past 15 years combined.

Orton, Fitzpatrick, Edwards, Losman, Bledsoe, and Johnson.

Insanity.

The Jokeman
08-21-2015, 06:44 PM
Cassel is the embodiment of the past 15 years combined.

Orton, Fitzpatrick, Edwards, Losman, Bledsoe, and Johnson.

Insanity.

Tyrod's NFL resume to date is worse than all of the QBs you mentioned. So what makes you think he's the answer?

BillsImpossible
08-21-2015, 06:59 PM
Tyrod's NFL resume to date is worse than all of the QBs you mentioned. So what makes you think he's the answer?

What resume? Taylor doesn't have one.

What makes me think Taylor is the answer?

Did you watch the first two preseason games, The Jokeman?

Even Ray Charles can see the difference, and he's a blind dead guy.

The Jokeman
08-21-2015, 07:06 PM
What resume? Taylor doesn't have one.

What makes me think Taylor is the answer?

Did you watch the first two preseason games, The Jokeman?

Even Ray Charles can see the difference, and he's a blind dead guy.

Look at Tyler's preseason stats with Baltimore and compare them to guys like RJ. Look at his regular season stats, 35 passes with 2 INTs. Again worse than all the other QBs we've brought in but I know because it's a smaller sample size it must just mean he hasn't a chance and just needs or maybe he hasn't gotten the chance as he hasn't earned it because of inferior play. Yes, I watched both preseason games and DVRed them. Check the other thread and see what I see.

CoolBreeze
08-21-2015, 10:47 PM
I picked EJ but I would not be shocked or upset with Taylor being chosen.

Call me naive but I still have faith that EJ can be a solid QB in this league. I at the very least would like to see him run a few series with first team before the starting QB is chosen. IMO he's been very good so far, aganist the 3rd teams of course. But that should be incentive to the coaching staff to give him a fair shot with the first team before they make their choice.

sudzy
08-22-2015, 03:07 AM
Well, EJ & Tyrod both passed the eyeball test over Cassel as well.

Time to go to the eye doctors. Yes, Taylor passes the eye ball test. You must have had your eyes closed when EJ under threw O'leary in the Panthers game, his two three and outs vs the Browns and fumbled at the 5 . And wide open for the TD passes. The last two games, when EJ 1st comes off the bench. I remember saying, EJ looks like the EJ I remember, with the offense spitting and sputtering. Then he throws a couple darts, wow. Then I remember some of the prettiest passes I've ever seen came out of JP Losman's hands. If EJ can't pull it together consistently, then by the eye ball test, he looks like the next Losman.

swiper
08-22-2015, 04:10 AM

Cassel hasn't been allowed to play much. You can only use stats, if there are stats to be had. Such a small sampling (14 passes by your count) doesn't show you anything. Not good or bad.

better days
08-22-2015, 04:49 AM
Time to go to the eye doctors. Yes, Taylor passes the eye ball test. You must have had your eyes closed when EJ under threw O'leary in the Panthers game, his two three and outs vs the Browns and fumbled at the 5 . And wide open for the TD passes. The last two games, when EJ 1st comes off the bench. I remember saying, EJ looks like the EJ I remember, with the offense spitting and sputtering. Then he throws a couple darts, wow. Then I remember some of the prettiest passes I've ever seen came out of JP Losman's hands. If EJ can't pull it together consistently, then by the eye ball test, he looks like the next Losman.

Albeit against scrubs, but EJ has constantly been the only QB to score TD's in games this preseason.

And I hope EJ gets a better shot to prove himself than Losman got.

HHURRICANE
08-22-2015, 06:40 AM
I think EJ is one of my favorite Bills. No matter what has happened to him he continues to go out there and work hard. I truthfully wouldn't cut him. I actually think one day he'll start somewhere and play well.

With the above said he can't throw a touch pass or a screen and in this offense that's the kiss of death. Ironically he'd be a good fit on Tyrods old team as a backup.

ct bills fan
08-22-2015, 06:41 AM
Ummmm... EJ only threw 2 touchdowns.

Yep and I guess we're totally disregarding qb running yards, 3rd down efficiency .....

Jry44
08-22-2015, 06:54 AM
It's not " my starting QB " since my internet verbiage means nothing. It's really up to Roman and Rex.

With Taylor, the read option is part of the playbook. Roman wants that.

The OL looked good in run blocking but a bit suspect in pass blocking, at present. Another reason for Taylor.

I do believe entering the Cleveland game the Bills were comfortable with what Cassel could do in his limited way and knew they could always fall back on him. Thus, his vacation for the night.

At camp, I saw Taylor deliver the ball to the receivers better than the other 2. Little has changed after 2 pre-season games.

The Bills seem to want a young Vick/Russel Wilson type with mobility. Taylor again.

I think we're seeing Taylor come in the run the read option on occasion even if Cassel is the starter.

Jry44
08-22-2015, 07:05 AM

Not to be a naysayer, but you've also got to take into account that 2 to 3 of the players that were starting in Clevelands secondary on Thursday night aren't even going to make their roster. So it's not like our 4th through 6th wide outs were matched up against 1st and second teamers.

With that saw, I slso think that Tyrod Taylor has a very appealing skill set. I feel that Cassel can manage a game enough for this ro be a playoff team. If Taylor can prove to do the same against a starting caliber secondary with his added skill set, this can be a dangerous team.

Jry44
08-22-2015, 07:09 AM
Lets go then

With Sammy and Harvin I'll take my chances.

Teams will stack the line vs whoever we send out there anyway. We are a running team. We have to be able to overcome that.

Not to mention that we finally have a mismatch type of option at TE that can easily stretch the field down the seams.

swiper
08-22-2015, 07:13 AM
Not to be a naysayer, but you've also got to take into account that 2 to 3 of the players that were starting in Clevelands secondary on Thursday night aren't even going to make their roster. So it's not like our 4th through 6th wide outs were matched up against 1st and second teamers.

With that saw, I slso think that Tyrod Taylor has a very appealing skill set. I feel that Cassel can manage a game enough for this ro be a playoff team. If Taylor can prove to do the same against a starting caliber secondary with his added skill set, this can be a dangerous team.

You make the point, for the fans that can't really understand what they are looking at, that what Taylor did was against some scrubs. I guess the only way to make them see is to put Taylor against the big boys.

Jry44
08-22-2015, 07:20 AM
You make the point, for the fans that can't really understand what they are looking at, that what Taylor did was against some scrubs. I guess the only way to make them see is to put Taylor against the big boys.

Totally agree. Granted he was throwing to scrubs, but tbe 1s one both sides of the ball at the skill positions would have made that game move a LOT faster. I too want to see Taylor play against Pitts ones with our ones. That's the test!

swiper
08-22-2015, 07:27 AM
Totally agree. Granted he was throwing to scrubs, but tbe 1s one both sides of the ball at the skill positions would have made that game move a LOT faster. I too want to see Taylor play against Pitts ones with our ones. That's the test!

I agree. I'd like to see how he fared in that setting.

ublinkwescore
08-22-2015, 07:50 AM
Read again...

scrimmage doesn't count.

ublinkwescore
08-22-2015, 07:59 AM
Tyrod's NFL preseason and regular season resume is worse than RJ's when he got here and been in NFL for 4 seasons whereas RJ had only 3. Oh and RJ was a 4th Rounder and Tyrod was a 6th Rounder. I hope Tyrod proves better but am not buying into the magic hype machine.

based on what we have seen on the field, he looks a hell of a lot better than RJ ever did already - yes, I know it's only preseason, but you have to go with the hot hand, and right now, that hot hand is Tyrod Taylor. Do I expect him to be our franchise qb - no, not yet, but I do expect him to start because he is the best performing qb on our roster right now. This defense is a "window of opportunity" defense - we need to protect them by keeping them off the field and putting points on the board with the offense as much as possible to try and make opposing offenses 1 dimensional. Clearly, right now, Tyrod is the guy to help them out the most.

Yasgur's Farm
08-22-2015, 08:28 AM
According to Rex Ryan... The scrimmage counted as game setting evaluation.

But we can cherry pick that out if you like and the results are almost identical. That's consistency BTW.

djjimkelly
08-22-2015, 08:29 AM
i think we are going to see all 3 this year

tyrod is frail and will eventually get hurt with his style of play and size

cassel easy to come in anytime to relieve someone and do well

and EJ starts once tyrod is hurt

and wont lose the job from there

now i hope that regardless of starter we are winning

but this is how i see it playing out roughly

ill cheer for all 3

Yasgur's Farm
08-22-2015, 08:47 AM
After eliminating scrimmage... No appreciable change...

Manuel - 13/22 - 188 yds - 8.5 yds/a - 2 td's - 0 int's - 117.2 pr
Taylor - 12/18 - 114 yds - 6.3 yds/a - 0 td's - 0 int's - 84 pr
Cassel - 7/8 - 45 yds - 5.6 yds/a - 0 td's - 0 int's - 90.1 pr

sudzy
08-22-2015, 11:38 AM
After eliminating scrimmage... No appreciable change...

Manuel - 13/22 - 188 yds - 8.5 yds/a - 2 td's - 0 int's - 117.2 pr
Taylor - 12/18 - 114 yds - 6.3 yds/a - 0 td's - 0 int's - 84 pr
Cassel - 7/8 - 45 yds - 5.6 yds/a - 0 td's - 0 int's - 90.1 pr

This confirms that EJ should be playing in Canada. Look at how good his stats are vs players that are going to be playing there in a couple week.

better days
08-22-2015, 02:30 PM
Cassel hasn't been allowed to play much. You can only use stats, if there are stats to be had. Such a small sampling (14 passes by your count) doesn't show you anything. Not good or bad.

Well, there are YEARS of stats for Cassel, and TERRIBLE stats at that, but the HATERS know EJ sucks after a small sample size of 14 games.

Famous Amos
08-22-2015, 03:03 PM
I have to pick one of those?

I read that in Steve Buscemi's voice haha

Strongman
08-22-2015, 03:17 PM
Since they all bring something different to the table, I'd almost like to see them try a QB by committee approach. Play a QB against a team where their skillset matches up well against. Like Cassel vs. Washington or Tyrod against Miami. In any case, I'd rather see TT against a team with a strong pass rush rather than Cassel taking sacks.

And yes, I know they'll never do this. I just think it's an interesting idea.

Famous Amos
08-22-2015, 03:25 PM
I voted for Tyrod but I'm trying to temper my enthusiasm. His first series against Cleveland reminded of the scripted first series you'd see during the regular season where even guys like Manuel and Edwards looked like hall of famers. I don't know what it is about those first drives, but over the years, we had several of them where our QBs looked incredibly decisive, accurate and effective. Then the second and third series come around, the defense has got a look at what our offense is doing and adapts accordingly. Usually that means a three and out. Sure enough, Taylor's second drive ended in a punt. Taylor's strengths lay in his ability to adjust during the play, with his feet. I loved seeing Manuel adapt to the play pre snap, with the audible he called himself at the end of the game.

I want to see consistent scoring drives from Taylor, not just relying on the first scripted drive he got in Cleveland.

BuffaloRedleg
08-23-2015, 10:41 AM

Stats are unreliable in preseason. I'm not saying you can't use them, I'm saying they can be misleading. I'm sure I could find you a lot of players that had good stats against 3rd stringers across teams this year, that doesn't mean they should start. Without the full compliment of players, you have to look at performance from a different angle. Some idiot missing an easy field goal shouldn't count against Tyrod, but it would in your analysis. Some scrub dropping an easy pass shouldn't count against Tyrod, but it does in your analysis.

I don't know why this is so hard for you to understand. I seriously feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

BuffaloRedleg
08-23-2015, 10:44 AM
How do you figure?

You watched the game right? He had multiple sustained drives, made multiple plays on 3rd down that extended drives through the air, moved the offense efficiently... all with scrubs in at WR and RB. I'm not saying I'm gonzo about him, but he did what he needed to do. You are acting like I think he is amazing, I don't. I think that he performed just as well if not better as the other 2 when weighted for circumstances and has a much higher upside. He's exciting. That counts, it is sports right? It's supposed to be fun.

BuffaloRedleg
08-23-2015, 10:46 AM

That doesn't make you a naysayer, that is completely fair analysis and I agree. Tyrod is the only one that gives us a chance to be dangerous (I like that you used that word). Cassel might sneak us into the playoffs, maybe Manuel too, and they may be better QBs. But Tyrod has the potential to make us dangerous and I'd like to see that through.

Yasgur's Farm
08-23-2015, 10:56 AM
Stats are unreliable in preseason. I'm not saying you can't use them, I'm saying they can be misleading. I'm sure I could find you a lot of players that had good stats against 3rd stringers across teams this year, that doesn't mean they should start. Without the full compliment of players, you have to look at performance from a different angle. Some idiot missing an easy field goal shouldn't count against Tyrod, but it would in your analysis. Some scrub dropping an easy pass shouldn't count against Tyrod, but it does in your analysis.

I don't know why this is so hard for you to understand. I seriously feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

Yes... EJ is the one I think should start. He's thrown for TD's. He's consistently maintained an excellent PR so far. He's improved from his previous 2 seasons.

No... I don't think he will be named he starter for the Colts game.

No... I do not think carrying Cassel's salary is worth it considering the play from TT and EJ.

BuffaloRedleg
08-23-2015, 05:51 PM
Yes... EJ is the one I think should start. He's thrown for TD's. He's consistently maintained an excellent PR so far. He's improved from his previous 2 seasons.

No... I don't think he will be named he starter for the Colts game.

No... I do not think carrying Cassel's salary is worth it considering the play from TT and EJ.

I guess where we disagree is that touchdowns against 3rd stringers is not enough for me to consider him for the starting job. Is this seriously the best analysis people can do... he threw the most TDs? Completely devoid of context??

He looked pretty damn bad last year and lost the starting job to a has-been (yes we can argue about the validity of that all day but whatever). I don't see any reason to think he has improved and to suggest that he has based on his uneven play against very weak competition is just plain incorrect. He looks exactly the same as he always has- uneven and frustrating and sometimes brilliant. I don't know why you are so butthurt about this. Do you seriously feel THAT strongly that he should be the starter? Even if you think he should be, I hardly think there is anything that impressive about what he has done to be getting all hot in the panties about it.

People keep saying that anyone who wants TT to start thinks he is the second coming of Jesus, and that just isn't the case. Nobody thinks he is the savior yet. He has moved the ball effectively and efficiently and has the potential to be an exciting player. It's a difference of opinion that we'll never see eye to eye on, but for the love of God stop acting like it is an obvious open and shut case that EJ should play and TT is garbage. That is just false and it makes this forum a real chore.

Yasgur's Farm
08-23-2015, 06:15 PM
It's still concerning that EJ is the only Bills QB to throw a TD this preseason... You gotta admit that.

sudzy
08-23-2015, 06:17 PM
Thinking back to the 90s it seemed every preseason the was some no name RB that would out rush, have a high yards per carry and out score Thurman Thomas. Never did anyone consider giving that RB 1st team rep and Thomas 2nd. Why? Thurman was going against NFL starting players and the other RBs stats were bloated by the level of competition he was going against. Same thing here, your comparing stats of 2 QBs that have played vs NFL starters and EJ who's stats are bloated by going up against 3rd stringers.

Mr. Pink
08-23-2015, 08:50 PM
You watched the game right? He had multiple sustained drives, made multiple plays on 3rd down that extended drives through the air, moved the offense efficiently... all with scrubs in at WR and RB. I'm not saying I'm gonzo about him, but he did what he needed to do. You are acting like I think he is amazing, I don't. I think that he performed just as well if not better as the other 2 when weighted for circumstances and has a much higher upside. He's exciting. That counts, it is sports right? It's supposed to be fun.

He sustained drives against Cleveland? What did those drives do? They netted 3 points. And he took an absolutely god awful sack that likely took 3 points off the board.

That is my point everything he did, minus the fact he can run so people love him, is exactly what Cassel did in the first game. Dink dunk sustained drive field goal. Except it took less drives for Cassel to accomplish it.

Mace
08-23-2015, 09:33 PM
I read that in Steve Buscemi's voice haha

I read everything Pink says in Steve Buscemi's voice, it's awesome, plus 1 him every chance you get, it's entirely worth reading every one of his posts as Steve Buscemi.

BuffaloRedleg
08-23-2015, 09:40 PM
He sustained drives against Cleveland? What did those drives do? They netted 3 points. And he took an absolutely god awful sack that likely took 3 points off the board.

That is my point everything he did, minus the fact he can run so people love him, is exactly what Cassel did in the first game. Dink dunk sustained drive field goal. Except it took less drives for Cassel to accomplish it.

I think poor red zone efficiency should be expected when having to play without a single starter at WR or RB. Of course it doesn't look great, but expectations should be tempered. Most QBs in the league would not be able to score in those situations.

I know it's not easy and it isn't the resounding yeehaw evidence you want to see, but you have to do analysis with what you have. Cassel was fine, I'm not knocking him at all. I just think TT looked pretty much equal to Cassel with less weapons (al beit against a worse team), plus he has the ability to move the ball with his legs. I don't know why you are so easy to discount how useful that is.

BuffaloRedleg
08-23-2015, 09:45 PM
It's still concerning that EJ is the only Bills QB to throw a TD this preseason... You gotta admit that.

I agree for sure, but like I said, with no starting RBs or WRs I wasn't expecting much. I just wanted to see sustained drives and execution on 3rd downs through the air (not running all over the place). Maybe we just have different expectations of what someone should be able to accomplish with so little around him. That's fine.

lavuuk153
08-23-2015, 09:47 PM
Whomever the coaches decide deserves to start is who I will back. I have a feeling at least 2 of them will play meaningful minutes this year and can see all 3 playing at least a bit. Bottom line, I don't care who starts the season...just make the damn playoffs. I'm tired of the fact the last time they made it I was 13 and said they should take a knee, spike it, then kick it. How are coaches so terrible at clock management??? /rant

WagonCircler
08-23-2015, 09:48 PM
But Tyrod has the potential to make us dangerous.

Dangerous cuts both ways. That's why Roman wants Cassel. Roman has a very complex system, and reading and recognizing Defenses is a major part of it. Safe is a four letter word, but when it comes to being an NFL QB, it means a lot, especially when you have a Defense that can keep the Bills in almost any game. Mistake free football is very valuable.

That being said, Tyrod has shown enough fundamental skills that it wouldn't be the end of the world if he started, but I see the read option game as being dangerous in a bad way. But Tyrod at least shows an ability to be accurate when throwing on the run, something that EJ absolutely cannot do.

There are no good choices, but EJ is a horrendous choice.

Mace
08-23-2015, 09:53 PM
There are no good choices, but EJ is a horrendous choice.

Besides the fact he might Trent Edwards, why are you hating on him Mr. Sour Grapes ?

Nah, don't answer that. I'm just not so bothered by the chosen whoever and don't want to be, even though I probably know better.

Mr. Cynical
08-23-2015, 10:27 PM
Can't see it working out for EJ "Most Likely to Hit A Cameraman" Manuel. Sorry but I just don't really see the argument for him any longer, regardless of the TDs. He makes mistakes often enough to negate any great throws he makes along the way. Can't count on him to bring it when it matters. Granted we don't have a lot on TT, but so far he's been holding his own. I'd say cut Cassel and make EJ the backup but that won't fly, as it will be looked at as too risky not to have the "veteran backup" in the stables. So, my bet is TT, Cassel...EJ gets cut. JMO.

BertSquirtgum
08-23-2015, 10:34 PM
EJ will be starting by week 9. Mark it down.

WagonCircler
08-23-2015, 10:37 PM
Besides the fact he might Trent Edwards, why are you hating on him Mr. Sour Grapes ?

Nah, don't answer that. I'm just not so bothered by the chosen whoever and don't want to be, even though I probably know better.

My normally above average Mace to English translation skills fail me here, but I can answer the first part.

EJ clearly is what he is--a QB who will always struggle so mightily with mechanics and accuracy that he will never progress to the necessary level beyond that. That level requires mechanics to be second nature. They will never, ever, ever be second nature to him, and because of this, the real nuanced skills which require instant recognition, decision making and execution, will never be a part of his game.

But when you take the fatal flaw above and factor in how the false hope in him by our GM has set back the franchise, the anger is multiplied exponentially. Whaley has been so hell bent on making the square peg that is EJ fit into the round hole that is the franchise QB, that he has been disastrously derelict in addressing the problem that is the Bills' fatal flaw. Here's a guy who will wheel and deal and overspend like a Fracking Billionaire for a ****ing Wide Receiver, but he won't even bother to DRAFT a guy to throw to him.

The point is, that the hate is not for EJ the person. He is obviously a very nice kid who works hard and wants to succeed, but who just doesn't have the "it" that elite NFL QBs have. Rather, the hate is for EJ, the situation. And as long as they both co-exist in Buffalo, the stubbornness will continue, and so will the playoff drought.

Hope this helps.

swiper
08-24-2015, 04:00 AM
From yesterday's Sunday (08/23) practice:

Bills first team QB reps tonight (all vs. scout team):

Cassel: 14

Taylor, Manuel: 8 each

Cassel led 2-minute drill vs. 1st team D.

JoeMama
08-24-2015, 08:58 AM
I love these open polls.

They're fun to revisit later so you can get a kick out of the fans who showed poor judgment when they voted.

Mace
08-24-2015, 05:28 PM
My normally above average Mace to English translation skills fail me here, but I can answer the first part.

EJ clearly is what he is--a QB who will always struggle so mightily with mechanics and accuracy that he will never progress to the necessary level beyond that. That level requires mechanics to be second nature. They will never, ever, ever be second nature to him, and because of this, the real nuanced skills which require instant recognition, decision making and execution, will never be a part of his game.

But when you take the fatal flaw above and factor in how the false hope in him by our GM has set back the franchise, the anger is multiplied exponentially. Whaley has been so hell bent on making the square peg that is EJ fit into the round hole that is the franchise QB, that he has been disastrously derelict in addressing the problem that is the Bills' fatal flaw. Here's a guy who will wheel and deal and overspend like a Fracking Billionaire for a ****ing Wide Receiver, but he won't even bother to DRAFT a guy to throw to him.

The point is, that the hate is not for EJ the person. He is obviously a very nice kid who works hard and wants to succeed, but who just doesn't have the "it" that elite NFL QBs have. Rather, the hate is for EJ, the situation. And as long as they both co-exist in Buffalo, the stubbornness will continue, and so will the playoff drought.

Hope this helps.

Can't blame you for not understanding the last part. Had something going on and kept getting interrupted typing the sentence. Was too lazy to make it coherent after.

What I meant to say was...none of the QB's really antagonize me, no matter who they anoint the chosen one. At this point I don't want to be too bothered by it, I'm just looking forward to the season. I probably could and should be bothered, because I can see their limitations, and know better than to think any of them will suddenly become "the answer".

The closer the season gets, the more apathetic I become about it. We have who we have, One will start, and away we go.

Famous Amos
08-24-2015, 06:12 PM

Well, looking at it a different way, not every scoring situation calls for a pass play.

JoeMama
08-25-2015, 09:54 PM
I'm still undecided.

I need to see more of these guys before I commit and throw my weight behind one.

And what a shame, I hate being a typical yellow-bellied non-voter!

I almost always have "my guy" in mind well before the season starts .