PDA

View Full Version : Marcel "Five Card Stud" Dareus or Mario "Fool's Gold"

coastal
08-21-2015, 02:56 PM
Having two $100+ million men, (1) $45 million dollar man and (1) $22million man on the same D-line doesn't strike me as having a proper salary allocation balance across positions... unless everyone is cool with another decade of no playoffs.

Mario has his.

Hughes has his.

Kyle has his.

Marcel may be the odd man out here. so the question is... who would rather have... Mario or Marcel.

im sure you can all guess who I'll chose... the best defensive lineman this team has had since Bruce.

Mr. Pink
08-21-2015, 02:58 PM
im sure you can all guess who I'll chose... the best defensive lineman this team has had since Bruce.

You've finally come around on Mario!

Good for you! :D

coastal
08-21-2015, 03:04 PM
You've finally come around on Mario!

Good for you! :D
Two outcomes...

we sign Dareus at $115 million and have most of our salary cap eaten up by the Dline to the point of a legit QB ever became available... we likely wouldn't be able to make a play...

or

we we don't sign him and he walks to elsewhere because we had to sign Fool's Gold to that stupid ass contract that was designed to sell tickets... and nothing more.

franchise

killing

contract

fools

gold

Mr. Pink
08-21-2015, 03:09 PM
Two outcomes...

we sign Dareus at $115 million and have most of our salary cap eaten up by the Dline to the point of a legit QB ever became available... we likely wouldn't be able to make a play...

or

we we don't sign him and he walks to elsewhere because we had to sign Fool's Gold to that stupid ass contract that was designed to sell tickets... and nothing more.

franchise

killing

contract

fools

gold

Dareus will lead this team to a championship just as much as Mario will...which is to say none.

If giving Mario a big contract is Fools Gold, then giving Dareus a big contract is just as much Fools Good if not more.

When it is all said and done, Mario is gonna put up numbers that will put him in HOF discussion...don't see that happening for Dareus.

casdhf
08-21-2015, 03:09 PM
If you don't have a QB, the next best thing you can spend your money on is a pass rush. Keep both men. Kyle only has a few years left.

SpikedLemonade
08-21-2015, 03:30 PM
I hope we resign Dareus but in either case we won't be investing much into our OL or QB. That is a recipe for disaster.

Frenchman
08-21-2015, 03:38 PM
Indeed seems like it would be a recipe for disaster as Tyrod Taylor is making a huge impact at QB.

YardRat
08-21-2015, 04:06 PM
Mario is a minor factor, his deal will probably be re-done.

Ed
08-21-2015, 04:16 PM
Two outcomes...

or

franchise

killing

contract

fools

gold
You don't know what you're talking about. After this season most of Mario's guaranteed money will have been paid. In the extremely unlikely event that a legit franchise qb becomes available to the Bills in the next couple seasons they could just cut Mario if they needed the cap space. Mario's contract hasn't prevented the team from getting a qb and it won't in the future either. A contract is only "franchise killing" when you have a ton of guaranteed money owed/prorated to a player that sucks. Neither situation applies to Mario. So feel free to blow everyone because you're the fool.

swiper
08-21-2015, 04:16 PM
Maybe Dareus is holding out for a lifetime supply of synthetic marijuana.

Buffalogic
08-21-2015, 04:32 PM
The only way we are paying a ton of salary for a qb is by acquiring one in free agency and that's a very slim chance. If we are going to find a QB it is going to be in the draft and since this team is actually pretty good, we will have to find one in the back of round one or in the later rounds. That means we won't be paying a lot for him for at least 4 to 5 years if he happens to develop into a franchise QB. We can have both Mario and Dareus while still trying to land a real qb in the draft.

jimmifli
08-21-2015, 05:12 PM
The only way to get a QB i in the draft. And that makes them cheap for 5 years. We can afford both.

YardRat
08-21-2015, 05:17 PM
Jesus Christ...even fantasy footballers generally take a shot at a QB in a later round almost every season, just in case he turns into something special. It's not that difficult of a concept.

Victor7
08-21-2015, 05:29 PM
We can keep'em both. Only way to spend big $$ on a QB is on a very very good FA. And those NEVER hit the market or by extending a guy past his rookie deal. An issue we don't have.

So unless Matt Ryan or Joe Flacco or someone of that type becomes FA we won't be needing big coin for the QB position any time soon. Best thing you can do after that is have a killer D and that starts up front.

I know this whole "Fool's gold" is your love child. You started it back on the Range. But you gotta let it go E. Mario has been a phenomenal player for us. Over paid ??? Yeah. Not by a lot but sure. But to actually call it fool's gold implies he doesn't bring much to the conversation and that's just wrong. Mario is an absolute stud.

The Jokeman
08-21-2015, 05:52 PM
Having two $100+ million men, (1) $45 million dollar man and (1) $22million man on the same D-line doesn't strike me as having a proper salary allocation balance across positions... unless everyone is cool with another decade of no playoffs.

Mario has his.

Hughes has his.

Kyle has his.

Marcel may be the odd man out here. so the question is... who would rather have... Mario or Marcel.

To me Kyle should be the odd man out. He's the least talented of the guys of the big 4 and oldest and has a pretty decent backup guy behind him in Corbin Bryant. That said if I'm Whaley I talk to Mario about renegotiate his deal and see if we can keep all 4 of them together.

BillsImpossible
08-21-2015, 06:05 PM
If Tyrod Taylor starts 8 games or more this year, his current contract gets nullified.

Let's say Taylor starts and takes the Bills to the playoffs with an 11-5 record.

An 11-5 playoff season would force the Bills to sign Tyrod Taylor to a new contract.

Imagine how much that will cost?

I think Mario Williams will finish his HoF career as a Buffalo Bill, and Doug Whaley will trade Marcell Dareus.

Dareus is starting to sound like Byrd. Being insulted by a $90 million contract is not good karma.

The Jokeman
08-21-2015, 06:09 PM
If Tyrod Taylor starts 8 games or more this year, his current contract gets nullified.

Let's say Taylor starts and takes the Bills to the playoffs with an 11-5 record.

An 11-5 playoff season would force the Bills to sign Tyrod Taylor to a new contract.

Imagine how much that will cost?

I think Mario Williams will finish his HoF career as a Buffalo Bill, and Doug Whaley will trade Marcell Dareus.

Dareus is starting to sound like Byrd. Being insulted by a $90 million contract is not good karma.

Dareus is doing what all top flight free agents do, they expect to be the top guy paid at the end of their contract. We did it for Mario, there's no reason we shouldn't do it for a proven guy like Dareus. If Tylor does lead us to the playoffs great for him but it be thanks in large part to Rex's defense not solely on Tyrod. Plus I never over pay one year wonders especially at QB unless you want to have the next Scott Mitchell?

Buffalogic
08-21-2015, 06:21 PM
Mario is not overpaid he has the most sacks in the nfl over the last 4 years.

EricStratton
08-21-2015, 07:31 PM
Did you figure a lame thread that you kept alive for three years was getting stale so you had to kickstart a new one.

coastal
08-21-2015, 08:03 PM
Did you figure a lame thread that you kept alive for three years was getting stale so you had to kickstart a new one.lame?

5 people voted for Marcel.

9 voted for me to be gay with them.

not one person has taken up for Fool's Gold.

and for the "we can afford them both" crowd... it's not "both". We're talking about having close to $300 million in contracts on the D-line alone. Just for the four starters.

SpikedLemonade
08-21-2015, 08:46 PM
lame?

and for the "we can afford them both" crowd... it's not "both". We're talking about having close to $300 million in contracts on the D-line alone. Just for the four starters.

Compare that to our OL and it is embarrassing.

coastal
08-22-2015, 06:13 AM
Compare that to our OL and it is embarrassing.
"You can find guards anywhere." ~ some guy wearing a gay yellow sweater vest.

swiper
08-22-2015, 07:09 AM
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/1231/ncf_g_bnixts_400.jpg

coastal
08-22-2015, 07:11 AM
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/1231/ncf_g_bnixts_400.jpg

Creeper level - Sandusky

swiper
08-22-2015, 07:14 AM
Gets worse when you throw in the high-pitched southern drawl.

coastal
08-23-2015, 06:22 AM
Not one of you wants to vote for Mario?

is it because I've been right all along?

kscdogbillsfan1221
08-23-2015, 06:26 AM
No. We are just sick and tired of you *****ing about one of the best d lineman in the game. This shtick is beyond old

cookie G
08-23-2015, 09:30 AM
lame?

So you started this poll to see how many men you could go down on?

Sounds Craigslisty to me.

Well anyway...have fun with it.

DraftBoy
08-23-2015, 10:16 AM
There are too many dynamics you refuse to even consider with regard to whether Dareus will get signed or not. It's not as simple as we have X dollars committed to DL.

Is there reason to be concerned? Sure but with an estimated $10-$15 million dollar jump in next year's cap and guys who can be cut or restructured to free up money there shouldn't be any reason why they can't pay Dareus what he's worth.

Mario's deal is far from even a primary factor in this decision. Especially since the only legitimate top tier QB for next years market (Rivers) is now off the market so you don't need to leave a large unobligated part of your cap to go after him.

If the Bills don't sign Dareus it's simple a huge mistake and a large indictment on the future of this franchise.

IlluminatusUIUC
08-23-2015, 11:06 AM
We're talking about having close to $300 million in contracts on the D-line alone. Just for the four starters.

Mario's deal is about 3/4ths paid already. Dareus and Williams' contract will only overlap for two seasons.

Mr. Cynical
08-23-2015, 11:33 AM
Mario will be 31 in Jan. Marcel turned 25 a few months ago. If push comes to shove, they should renegotiate Mario, as he has maybe 2 more seasons before the decline. Marcel has at least 5 or 6, and his decline will be more gradual since it doesn't depend on speed.

BertSquirtgum
08-23-2015, 05:05 PM
Coastal wants to blow dudes. I never doubted it for a minute.

Mike
08-23-2015, 07:53 PM
I hope we resign Dareus but in either case we won't be investing much into our OL or QB. That is a recipe for disaster.

I'm sure if the Bills has a choice between spending a $100m on MD or a franchise QB they would choose the QB but you have probably noticed that franchise QBs don't hit the FA market.

Mace
08-23-2015, 08:31 PM
I went with "blow me Coastal".

I think Mario renegotiates anyway, and well, let's face it, it's tough to get a blow the older you get when you're as morbidly obese and covered in scabrous weeping sores like myself, and there's the off chance you might be good at it, so it's a no brainer to trade a premium defensive lineman for a short interlude of selfish personal gratification.

The Bills may never win a Super Bowl but who cares ifn a feller gots a right purty mouth, hyawww.

lavuuk153
08-23-2015, 09:45 PM
I think if the choice is one or the other it's a no brainer to keep Dareus, but that is heavily weighing age. If this was just taking into account the next 2-3 years, I can see how it becomes an argument. Hopefully Super Mario renegotiates and lowers his cap hit by a good amount so it's not an issue.

coastal
08-24-2015, 05:34 AM
Still no Mario supporters... thanks for admitting I've been right along!