X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsImpossible
    • Mar 2013

Bills Won't Name The Starting QB Until Right Before Opening Day

Does this, "Keep them guessing," gamesmanship give the Bills an advantage over the Colts?

Of course it does. The Colts are going to have to come up with 2 game plans. Plan A and Plan B.

The Colts players and coaching staff are going to be forced to practice and prepare for two plans instead of one.

By not showing their cards, the Bills are basically doubling the amount of preparation time the Colts.

Looks like everyone will be guessing who the starting quarterback is all the way up until September 13th.

Some may view this move as a sign of weakness, but I think it's a smart move. It's a game of inches.

Every inch, and every advantage matters. The Bills have the advantage of not having to name their starting quarterback until game day.

If you have an advantage, why not use it?

Not only does the advantage keep the Colts and Bills fans guessing, it keeps the quarterbacks guessing too.

Western New York’s number one source for daily sports talk and play-by-play as the flagship station of the Bills and Sabres. Stream, read and download WGR 550 AM from any device on Audacy

Rex: Bills won't name starting QB until right before opener

By Sal Capaccio

“Remember, I’m not going to make that decision until we play Indy,” he said after the Bills 11-10 victory over the Cleveland Browns Thursday night. “Competitive reasons, whatever. Go for it. We don’t need to tell them. Until the league makes us tell them, we can just go right up in there and say, ‘We’re not gonna say anything."Ryan admitted he and his coaching staff may very well know who the starter will be for the game, but that he has no reason to announce it publicly.
  • Novacane
    • Jul 2002

Re: Bills Won't Name The Starting QB Until Right Before Opening Day

I'd take it a step further. Announce the starter but name the guy who won't be starting. Let them game plan for the wrong guy.

Comment

• BillsImpossible
      • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Novacane View Post
      I'd take it a step further. Announce the starter but name the guy who won't be starting. Let them game plan for the wrong guy.
      Ha! That's a great idea, but I don't think Rex could say it with a straight face.

Rex has already said he's not going to name the starter until they have to. I don't think he's going to back down and change his tune.

Closest thing to your idea, Novacane, is starting Matt Cassel against the Steelers in the 3rd preseason game.

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
        • Jun 2024

I think it just shows that none of the 3 QBs has done enough to win the job outright.

We're screwed.

Comment

• BillsImpossible
          • Mar 2013

Originally posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
          I think it just shows that none of the 3 QBs has done enough to win the job outright.

We're screwed.
          If all 3 quarterbacks suck against the Steelers in the 3rd preseason game, I will agree. But we have to wait and see.

Comment

• Meathead
            Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby
            • Jul 2002

why would they announce it at all. doesnt seem like the nfl would make them designate somebody since you could put someone else in at any time, even after the first play
            One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• BillsImpossible
              • Mar 2013

Mike Tomlin. You know he's going to treat this game like the real thing.

Matt Cassel will start because he has the most to prove right now given his salary and veteran experience.

If he puts up 14 points against the Steelers, Cassel wins. I personally don't think that will happen.

Comment

• BillsImpossible
                • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Meathead View Post
                why would they announce it at all. doesnt seem like the nfl would make them designate somebody since you could put someone else in at any time, even after the first play
                Rumor has it that half of the Colts coaching staff thinks Taylor will start and the other half thinks Cassel will start.

Comment

• Night Train
                  Retired - On Several Levels
                  • Jul 2005

They also wish to see which injured RB's and WR's make it all the way back in good shape for the opener. That may actually dictate a decision one way or another.
                  Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Novacane
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by SpikedLemonade View Post

We're screwed.

I see it the the other way. I expected at least 1 of the 3 to totally bomb out and make the decision easy for the coaches. They have all performed about my expectations in the preseason games. I think we can win with any of the 3.

Comment

• sudzy
                      • Apr 2013

I saw this. Good for Rex, making the Colts game plan for all 3 QBs. Then I thought any defense the Colts put on the field will involve a lot of 8 man fronts, no matter who is at QB.

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
                        • Jun 2024

Originally posted by Novacane View Post
                        I see it the the other way. I expected at least 1 of the 3 to totally bomb out and make the decision easy for the coaches. They have all performed about my expectations in the preseason games. I think we can win with any of the 3.
                        Win 9 games perhaps but not the 11 games we need to win the division.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                          • Dec 2003

Originally posted by BillsImpossible View Post
                          Mike Tomlin. You know he's going to treat this game like the real thing.

Matt Cassel will start because he has the most to prove right now given his salary and veteran experience.

If he puts up 14 points against the Steelers, Cassel wins. I personally don't think that will happen.
                          If the coaching staff felt Cassel had something to prove they would have played him against the Browns. Him not playing is more telling than anything. That said I want him to get some game action against the Steelers to show he can operate the offense as well as he did against Carolina and it wasn't a fluke.
                          Last edited by The Jokeman; 08-22-2015, 05:42 PM.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                            • Dec 2003

Originally posted by sudzy View Post
                            I saw this. Good for Rex, making the Colts game plan for all 3 QBs. Then I thought any defense the Colts put on the field will involve a lot of 8 man fronts, no matter who is at QB.
                            Is Rex doing this for the Colts game or more for game 2 against the Patriots? As no doubt Belechick is already game planning what to do against us now and vice versa.

Comment

• sudzy
                              • Apr 2013

Originally posted by The Jokeman View Post
                              Is Rex doing this for the Colts game or more for game 2 against the Patriots? As no doubt Belechick is already game planning what to do against us now and vice versa.
                              NE will know who the starting QB is and have a week to prepare. I'm sure Belichick can do it. The Colts will have to prepare for all three.

Comment

Working...
                              X