PDA

View Full Version : Bills Won't Name The Starting QB Until Right Before Opening Day

BillsImpossible
08-22-2015, 02:49 PM
Does this, "Keep them guessing," gamesmanship give the Bills an advantage over the Colts?

Of course it does. The Colts are going to have to come up with 2 game plans. Plan A and Plan B.

The Colts players and coaching staff are going to be forced to practice and prepare for two plans instead of one.

By not showing their cards, the Bills are basically doubling the amount of preparation time the Colts.

Looks like everyone will be guessing who the starting quarterback is all the way up until September 13th.

Some may view this move as a sign of weakness, but I think it's a smart move. It's a game of inches.

Every inch, and every advantage matters. The Bills have the advantage of not having to name their starting quarterback until game day.

If you have an advantage, why not use it?

Not only does the advantage keep the Colts and Bills fans guessing, it keeps the quarterbacks guessing too.

http://www.wgr550.com/Rex-Bills-won-t-name-starting-QB-until-right-befor/21881733

Rex: Bills won't name starting QB until right before opener

<article>By Sal Capaccio </article>
“Remember, I’m not going to make that decision until we play Indy,” he said after the Bills 11-10 victory over the Cleveland Browns Thursday night. “Competitive reasons, whatever. Go for it. We don’t need to tell them. Until the league makes us tell them, we can just go right up in there and say, ‘We’re not gonna say anything."Ryan admitted he and his coaching staff may very well know who the starter will be for the game, but that he has no reason to announce it publicly.

Novacane
08-22-2015, 02:52 PM
I'd take it a step further. Announce the starter but name the guy who won't be starting. Let them game plan for the wrong guy.

BillsImpossible
08-22-2015, 02:59 PM
I'd take it a step further. Announce the starter but name the guy who won't be starting. Let them game plan for the wrong guy.

Ha! That's a great idea, but I don't think Rex could say it with a straight face.

Rex has already said he's not going to name the starter until they have to. I don't think he's going to back down and change his tune.

Closest thing to your idea, Novacane, is starting Matt Cassel against the Steelers in the 3rd preseason game.

SpikedLemonade
08-22-2015, 03:05 PM
I think it just shows that none of the 3 QBs has done enough to win the job outright.

We're screwed.

BillsImpossible
08-22-2015, 03:10 PM
I think it just shows that none of the 3 QBs has done enough to win the job outright.

We're screwed.

If all 3 quarterbacks suck against the Steelers in the 3rd preseason game, I will agree. But we have to wait and see.

Meathead
08-22-2015, 03:13 PM
why would they announce it at all. doesnt seem like the nfl would make them designate somebody since you could put someone else in at any time, even after the first play

BillsImpossible
08-22-2015, 03:20 PM
Mike Tomlin. You know he's going to treat this game like the real thing.

Matt Cassel will start because he has the most to prove right now given his salary and veteran experience.

If he puts up 14 points against the Steelers, Cassel wins. I personally don't think that will happen.

BillsImpossible
08-22-2015, 03:24 PM
why would they announce it at all. doesnt seem like the nfl would make them designate somebody since you could put someone else in at any time, even after the first play

Rumor has it that half of the Colts coaching staff thinks Taylor will start and the other half thinks Cassel will start.

:nod:

Night Train
08-22-2015, 04:05 PM
They also wish to see which injured RB's and WR's make it all the way back in good shape for the opener. That may actually dictate a decision one way or another.

Novacane
08-22-2015, 04:09 PM

We're screwed.

I see it the the other way. I expected at least 1 of the 3 to totally bomb out and make the decision easy for the coaches. They have all performed about my expectations in the preseason games. I think we can win with any of the 3.

sudzy
08-22-2015, 04:16 PM
I saw this. Good for Rex, making the Colts game plan for all 3 QBs. Then I thought any defense the Colts put on the field will involve a lot of 8 man fronts, no matter who is at QB.

SpikedLemonade
08-22-2015, 04:35 PM
I see it the the other way. I expected at least 1 of the 3 to totally bomb out and make the decision easy for the coaches. They have all performed about my expectations in the preseason games. I think we can win with any of the 3.

Win 9 games perhaps but not the 11 games we need to win the division.

The Jokeman
08-22-2015, 05:40 PM
Mike Tomlin. You know he's going to treat this game like the real thing.

Matt Cassel will start because he has the most to prove right now given his salary and veteran experience.

If he puts up 14 points against the Steelers, Cassel wins. I personally don't think that will happen.

If the coaching staff felt Cassel had something to prove they would have played him against the Browns. Him not playing is more telling than anything. That said I want him to get some game action against the Steelers to show he can operate the offense as well as he did against Carolina and it wasn't a fluke.

The Jokeman
08-22-2015, 05:43 PM
I saw this. Good for Rex, making the Colts game plan for all 3 QBs. Then I thought any defense the Colts put on the field will involve a lot of 8 man fronts, no matter who is at QB.

Is Rex doing this for the Colts game or more for game 2 against the Patriots? As no doubt Belechick is already game planning what to do against us now and vice versa.

sudzy
08-22-2015, 07:39 PM
Is Rex doing this for the Colts game or more for game 2 against the Patriots? As no doubt Belechick is already game planning what to do against us now and vice versa.

NE will know who the starting QB is and have a week to prepare. I'm sure Belichick can do it. The Colts will have to prepare for all three.

Mr. Pink
08-22-2015, 07:44 PM
Las Vegas is the reason why the starter will be named in plenty of time.

It's also why there's an injury report.

Gotta have an accurate spread for the gamblers!

Strongman
08-23-2015, 01:47 AM

Frankly, it's the type of thing the Patriots would do. I'm not a fan of this idea and rather see games played straight up. Yes, let the other teams sweat it a little as we take our time on deciding who to start, but purposely misleading their game prep seems pretty low to me except when it comes to doing it to the Patriots.

better days
08-23-2015, 03:30 AM
NE will know who the starting QB is and have a week to prepare. I'm sure Belichick can do it. The Colts will have to prepare for all three.

Actually, the CHEATERS will have 10 days to prepare because their first game is on a Thursday.

sudzy
08-23-2015, 05:21 AM
Actually, the CHEATERS will have 10 days to prepare because their first game is on a Thursday.

If the Bills don't announce a starting QB until gameday vs the Colts, the Pats only have seven days to gameplan for that QB.

better days
08-23-2015, 11:07 AM
If the Bills don't announce a starting QB until gameday vs the Colts, the Pats only have seven days to gameplan for that QB.

NO, Belicheat & his Coaches will have 10 days to game plan if the Bills don't announce the QB until opening day.

Yasgur's Farm
08-23-2015, 11:21 AM
Technically... Pats would only have 7 days if the Bills don't announce before game day (Sunday).

better days
08-23-2015, 11:25 AM
Technically... Pats would only have 7 days if the Bills don't announce before game day (Sunday).

Show me your math.

The CHEATERS play on Thursday night to open the season.

By my math, it is 10 days if you count the day they play.

I guess you could say 9 days if you don't count the day they play.

sudzy
08-23-2015, 11:25 AM

Yeah, Better days obviously has problems with reading, because I clearly said gameday. But, the thread title has opening day in it, so I let it slide.

sudzy
08-23-2015, 11:28 AM
Show me your math.

Read my post again.

Gameday vs the Colts Sept 13th, Bills play the Pats Sept 20th. That's 7 days

better days
08-23-2015, 12:20 PM
Read my post again.

Gameday vs the Colts Sept 13th, Bills play the Pats Sept 20th. That's 7 days

MY BAD. The CHEATERS will have 9 days off before they play the Bills, but if they don't know who the QB will be before Sept 13, they will only have 7 days to prepare for that QB.

feldspar
08-23-2015, 12:33 PM

Sure enough.

If you start a player, that just means that the player takes the first snap. That's true regardless of position. After the first snap, somebody else can play the entire rest of the game, yet the guy who was there for the first snap gets credit for the start.

That said, it better be damn well obvious who is going to be starting at QB going into week one...that's the guy that should be getting the majority of the reps in practice. You can't hide that from anyone.

better days
08-24-2015, 06:47 AM
Sure enough.

If you start a player, that just means that the player takes the first snap. That's true regardless of position. After the first snap, somebody else can play the entire rest of the game, yet the guy who was there for the first snap gets credit for the start.

That said, it better be damn well obvious who is going to be starting at QB going into week one...that's the guy that should be getting the majority of the reps in practice. You can't hide that from anyone.

So far nobody has separated himself from the others at the QB position.

The good news is the reason for that is they all have played well.

JoeMama
08-24-2015, 07:25 AM

Show me your math.

Hey break it up you two!

The number of days is irrelevant!

The Pats will find a way to cheat their way to victory regardless. It is known!