• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • coastal
    Legendary Zoner
    • Mar 2005

Is the NFL a crap product?

For the first time in over a decade, I am no longer a subscriber to NFL Season Ticket on Direct TV.

reasons (in no particular order)

the 6 yard pitch and catch game is entirely boring.

the injuries and the stuff with concussions is really a human issue. Sure people chose to do this job, but it still doesn't change the facts of what becomes of many of them post football.

rapists, murderers, child beaters, wife beaters, dog beaters... and the #1 pick in the draft this past year had all kinds of alleged drama surrounding him... including a rape investigation.

The cheating...

the money involved...

the hubris...

really at this point... what are people paying for that's oh so great anymore?
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Re: Is the NFL a crap product?

It's all Fools Gold.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• casdhf
      • Jul 2002

I'm invested in my team, not the league. If the team ever folds or moves (looking unlikely now), I wouldn't pay attention at all.
      Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
      cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• Spartacus
        • Mar 2003

Not to mention the ten minute commercial breaks after every possession.

Goodell has no love for the game, his job is to squee2e every last nickle out of the product.

Haven't you guys ever wondered how it's all about love and fandom and support your team when it comes to the paying stiffs, but when it comes to their own contracts, it's all business?

Ever heard the expression "cash cow"?

We're the cow.

BTW, I have serious doubts about the future of the NFL and the NHL. You can work out all you want and turn yourself into 100% muscle, but you'll never be able to do anything about your brain smashing against the inside of your skull.
        My tebya razdavim

Comment

• JoeMama
          Emotion Sickness
          • Oct 2002

NFL = second rate product that packs in more commercials than it does actual playing time on the football field.

Buffalo Bills = my heart, who I love despite the NFL's incompetence.

I've been saying for about 10 years now that if this team ever leaves Buffalo (and of course that will never happen while Terry Pegula lives), I'm done with the NFL.

In fact I'm already kind of done with the NFL.

I haven't watched a Super Bowl since maybe the Steelers/Cardinals game in 2009.

**** the NFL.

If it weren't for the Bills I'd actively root for the entire sport to go bankrupt.
          Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

• Meathead
            Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
            • Jul 2002

its been obvious for quite a while that the nfls days are numbered

the average life expectancy of an nfl player is 55-60, and they are four times more likely to die from brain trauma. they either have to modify the rules to reduce the physical carnage or eventually its going to just be outlawed

add to that the facts that 78 percent of them go broke within five years, and that they are disproportionately inclined toward domestic violence (unless they are black then we all just have to ignore that), and yeah i would say its a very troubled product whose ultimate fate is predictable
            One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• gr8slayer
              • Feb 2005

I love the NFL, so much so that I've watched every second of every game for the past 8 seasons (record and watch later), but I'm starting to grow weary of it. I do think that football will always be the most popular sport in America, but I don't think that it will continue to be the juggernaut that it is now. For me, it has more to do with the rules that are meant to protect the players. Don't get me wrong, I'm all about protecting the players, but doing so has turned the game into one that is far less interesting.

Comment

• HAMMER
                I'm right, Miyagi is wrong.
                • Jul 2003

CTE/Head trauma is clearly a large problem. The NFL is doing their job by trying to make it a safer game but in doing so has made it nearly unwatchable. So many penalties, so many commercials. I DVR any non-Bills game and skip right through all the commercials and reviews, have watched games in 45 minutes.

Comment

• JoeMama
                  Emotion Sickness
                  • Oct 2002

For selfish reasons, I'd love to see the NFL go out of business.

Imagine if all of America's best athletes took up soccer?

We'd never lose a single World Cup EVER and that would be so awesome because it would make half the global population commit suicide since they live for soccer.

We barely care about the sport. And if we won it all every 4 years, I'd laugh my ass off.

Pure schadenfreude but **** it, I love seeing the rest of the world be miserable.
                  Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

• Topas
                    German smartass
                    • Feb 2014

Lol, soccer is more about technic and tactic than athleticism. It would take decades to get a competitive league in the US and then building top end players. Not in your lifetime would that work out.
                    Disclaimer: I love football and I am not really interested in soccer.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                      • Sep 2012

I love football in general. There isn't a sport out there that has the same depth of strategy, and that's what intrigues me about it.

That said, the NFL has some real problems. Attending the actual games absolutely sucks: it's outrageously expensive, those TV timeouts are worse when you are at the stadium (10x worse if you are sitting in inclement weather), and you've got to deal with people who are only there because its an excuse to get ****housed and start fights in public. If I had kids, I wouldn't take them to a game, and it's got to be difficult to bring up a new generation of fans that way.

The NFL also has a horrendous image problem. Their stadium con game has been exposed thoroughly. It's going to be a nightmare if Pegula ever pulls that crap on the people of Buffalo.

Oh and Cris Carter is a goddamned moron.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                        • Mar 2004

There will be no such thing as NFL football when our children are our age.

Comment

• feldspar
                          • Mar 2007

I like to watch football; therefore, it is not a crap product. Some games are crap, some aren't. And there are ways around the commercials, children. Whatever heavy problems that occur are what? That's right, they are somebody else's problems. I've got a few of my own that nobody cares about either.

You have a choice to watch it or not. You can easily just not watch. But choosing to watch and then whining about it is what? That's right, extremely annoying.

Comment

• WagonCircler
                            Escaped Convict
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by feldspar View Post
                            I like to watch football; therefore, it is not a crap product. Some games are crap, some aren't. And there are ways around the commercials, children. Whatever heavy problems that occur are what? That's right, they are somebody else's problems. I've got a few of my own that nobody cares about either.

You have a choice to watch it or not. You can easily just not watch. But choosing to watch and then whining about it is what? That's right, extremely annoying.
                            But whining that it's a crap product is such a cool, hipster thing to do. We should all go out and buy gay soccer jerseys and scarves and cheer on the lads! (I just threw up a little in my mouth).

Comment

• POTLAND PSILBYLO
                              Asst to Dean Vernon Wormer
                              • Nov 2012

Does the problem start with the NCAA?

Comment

Working...
                              X