PDA

View Full Version : QB Austin Davis - Could be a good Option

Mahdi
08-24-2015, 08:32 AM
Just looking at the Rams depth chart at QB. They have Foles as the starter. After that they also have Sean Mannion and Case Keenum who look to be ahead of Davis.

I think this guy can be a good option for us to bring in instead of our 3rd string QB. He has done relatively well in his starts last year posting 63% completions with an 85 QB rating. Also has a pretty good arm.

Bills should be jumping on him if cut.

JoeMama
08-24-2015, 08:45 AM
Austin Davis looked really good at times.

Hard to say if he'll get cut though.

And we still have a few weeks to see how our QB depth chart shakes out. A lot is still up in the air since all three QB's have been playing better than expected recently.

Mahdi
08-24-2015, 09:05 AM
Austin Davis looked really good at times.

Hard to say if he'll get cut though.

And we still have a few weeks to see how our QB depth chart shakes out. A lot is still up in the air since all three QB's have been playing better than expected recently.

Agreed.

Only thing is Davis has done well in real games and behind a terrible OL with few receiving weapons. If our OL can be better and add to that our RBs and receivers/TEs, Davis can be a playmaker rather than just a game manager.

starrymessenger
08-24-2015, 09:20 AM
Agreed.

Only thing is Davis has done well in real games and behind a terrible OL with few receiving weapons. If our OL can be better and add to that our RBs and receivers/TEs, Davis can be a playmaker rather than just a game manager.
Correct me if I'm wrong but limited arm strength and was shut down immediately once the opposing Ds figured out what the Rams were running to accommodate Davis and adjusted.

Goobylal
08-24-2015, 09:24 AM
Davis was the guy everyone went gaga over last year after one start...and then he proceeded to **** the bed. No thanks.

trapezeus
08-24-2015, 09:36 AM
davis also had his ok games in a dome.

IlluminatusUIUC
08-24-2015, 09:57 AM
Davis was the guy everyone went gaga over last year after one start...and then he proceeded to **** the bed. No thanks.

You must be thinking of someone else. Davis had 8 starts last year: some looked great, some looked atrocious. If we are talking about moving on a potential cap casualty QB, that's the best you're likely to find.

EDS
08-24-2015, 10:35 AM
The Bills are set at back-up QB. It is the starter they don't have.

ParanoidAndroid
08-24-2015, 10:52 AM
I don't think anyone can say Davis is better than EJ with any kind of certainty.

IlluminatusUIUC
08-24-2015, 11:27 AM
You must be thinking of someone else. Davis had 8 starts last year: some looked great, some looked atrocious. If we are talking about moving on a potential cap casualty QB, that's the best you're likely to find.

Meant to say "camp casualty" there FWIW

Mr. Pink
08-24-2015, 04:10 PM
Rob Johnson, Matt Flynn and Kirk Cousins all say where's our shot?

Same type junk, have a good start or two and become the next big thing...well until they fall flat on their faces trying.

Victor7
08-24-2015, 04:15 PM
Not a bad idea if he gets cut.

The Jokeman
08-24-2015, 04:44 PM

If we start Tyrod we can expect similar things but I know Tyrod's different because he can run like Tebow. http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000514743/Tim-Tebow-tries-for-a-touchdown

swiper
08-24-2015, 04:51 PM
Just looking at the Rams depth chart at QB. They have Foles as the starter. After that they also have Sean Mannion and Case Keenum who look to be ahead of Davis.

I think this guy can be a good option for us to bring in instead of our 3rd string QB. He has done relatively well in his starts last year posting 63% completions with an 85 QB rating. Also has a pretty good arm.

Bills should be jumping on him if cut.

Forget Austin Davis. You're watching the wrong team. All the QBs behind Mariotta should be where the Bills are looking. All three have looked good.

Night Train
08-24-2015, 04:57 PM
I think any outside consideration would have to be athletic and capable of the read option.

swiper
08-24-2015, 05:00 PM
Just gotta love the posters who think the read option is going to work from in Buffalo in December. Very little thought going on there.

Night Train
08-24-2015, 05:02 PM
Just gotta love the posters who think the read option is going to work from in Buffalo in December. Very little thought going on there.
Gotta love this drivel on a message board.

If the coaches like the read option AS PART of their ability, they want him. See Roman, Greg.

The Jokeman
08-24-2015, 06:18 PM
Forget Austin Davis. You're watching the wrong team. All the QBs behind Mariotta should be where the Bills are looking. All three have looked good.

Maybe we should see who their QB coach or OC or system they're playing?

MillsapsBillsFan
08-24-2015, 06:23 PM
The Bills won't pick up another QB this late into camp. We've got what we're going to have and thats it

swiper
08-25-2015, 04:57 AM
Gotta love this drivel on a message board.

If the coaches like the read option AS PART of their ability, they want him. See Roman, Greg.

LOL. Greg Roman's last gig was in San Francisco. When was the last time it snowed there?

Gotta love the logic of wanting to bring the read option to Buffalo.

casdhf
08-25-2015, 05:05 AM
Wouldn't running misdirection in December give us an advantage?

trapezeus
08-25-2015, 10:26 AM
i love the posters who think everything is doomed simply because we are buffalo.

roman seems to actually be installing a real offense that is tailored to the QB's he has, not the qb's he wishes he had. just like how no defense is purely 3-4 or 4/3, no offense is so over the top simple that it's read option or nothing at all. if you can soften up a defense with a shifting running back in shady, and still keep them honest on the qb sneak, you will be creating more 1 on 1 matchups with the Bills possession receivers. Especially when they go 2 TE set.

Therefore, i find swiper's holier than thou attitude on the topic to be wrong.

CleveSteve
08-25-2015, 01:10 PM
davis also had his ok games in a dome.

I watched Davis beat Keenum's Houston Cougars (for the Conf USA championship IIRC) on a very windy day. Davis looked terrific while Keenum's passes fluttered in the air.

But a more relevant statement is EDS'. He's a backup.

trapezeus
08-25-2015, 01:16 PM
fair enought clevesteve. i haven't watched him with the exception of the few games he played last season and looked competent.

Mr. Pink
08-25-2015, 04:02 PM
i love the posters who think everything is doomed simply because we are buffalo.

roman seems to actually be installing a real offense that is tailored to the QB's he has, not the qb's he wishes he had. just like how no defense is purely 3-4 or 4/3, no offense is so over the top simple that it's read option or nothing at all. if you can soften up a defense with a shifting running back in shady, and still keep them honest on the qb sneak, you will be creating more 1 on 1 matchups with the Bills possession receivers. Especially when they go 2 TE set.

Therefore, i find swiper's holier than thou attitude on the topic to be wrong.

It has nothing to do with being Buffalo.

It has to do with the fact this team has no QB.

There are plenty of other teams in this same position. The maddening part of it is this team has a championship caliber defense that will be completely wasted on a team who's ceiling is trying to get the last wild card spot.

swiper
08-25-2015, 04:14 PM

Except the guy that runs the read option can't run the rest of the offense. Einstein. No team has ever had success platooning QBs. Rex tried it in NY for awhile with Brad Smith. That failed miserably.

There is no Colin Kapernick on this roster for Roman. And, btw, he was figured out in spades in 2014, putting in a pedestrian performance. You cannot "sprinkle in" the read option in the NFL.

trapezeus
08-26-2015, 07:10 AM
i think agimmicky offense of strick read options is too plain vanilla. As the players and reports have said repeatedly, they are stunned at how many options of plays come out of one formation in roman's offense. so if you line up with shot gun and a back to the left or right and run, screens successfully, you run mid range passes with RB's staying in for blocking, you run long passes successfully, you better believe a team will bite on a read run option if the qb is a legit reason to run. and with the bills TE's they could have great possession receivers who are an outlet in the event the run isn't there.

i see no reason to sell roman down the river after two preseason games. we've seen a lot worse from offensive coordinators in the drought by this point. i remain optimistic.

swiper
08-26-2015, 07:27 AM
i think agimmicky offense of strick read options is too plain vanilla. As the players and reports have said repeatedly, they are stunned at how many options of plays come out of one formation in roman's offense. so if you line up with shot gun and a back to the left or right and run, screens successfully, you run mid range passes with RB's staying in for blocking, you run long passes successfully, you better believe a team will bite on a read run option if the qb is a legit reason to run. and with the bills TE's they could have great possession receivers who are an outlet in the event the run isn't there.

i see no reason to sell roman down the river after two preseason games. we've seen a lot worse from offensive coordinators in the drought by this point. i remain optimistic.

The bold. I think this is the mark of a good OC. I, too, am hopeful overall.