• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trapezeus
    Legendary Zoner
    • Oct 2004

IF EJ was picked in the 3rd round

for the Anti-EJ crowd or pro-Cassel crowd, if EJ was picked in the 3rd round his draft year, had the current 14 starts he has now and was 3rd on the depth chart , would you feel more comfortable with his performance YTD?

the only reason i ask is that it becomes evident that the bills reached for EJ. There were the stories at the time that the cowboys had EJ pegged for the 4th round. so it's not really his fault that he isn't the elite talent that our selection suggested he might be.

in the scenario where he was picked later, would you feel comfortable with him being a backup or even simply on the roster?

as for tyrod, what happens if he happened to be drafted too early and you saw his current performance. would you think he is showing enough to be a starter. are we getting excited simply because he is a nobody and showing some flashes of being a starter? Would that make it more palatable to have him start ahead of cassel

I'm just trying to make sense of draft positioning and how it shapes our views.
  • WagonCircler
    Escaped Convict
    • Jul 2002

Re: IF EJ was picked in the 3rd round

Originally posted by trapezeus View Post
    for the Anti-EJ crowd or pro-Cassel crowd, if EJ was picked in the 3rd round his draft year, had the current 14 starts he has now and was 3rd on the depth chart , would you feel more comfortable with his performance YTD?

the only reason i ask is that it becomes evident that the bills reached for EJ. There were the stories at the time that the cowboys had EJ pegged for the 4th round. so it's not really his fault that he isn't the elite talent that our selection suggested he might be.

in the scenario where he was picked later, would you feel comfortable with him being a backup or even simply on the roster?

as for tyrod, what happens if he happened to be drafted too early and you saw his current performance. would you think he is showing enough to be a starter. are we getting excited simply because he is a nobody and showing some flashes of being a starter? Would that make it more palatable to have him start ahead of cassel

I'm just trying to make sense of draft positioning and how it shapes our views.
    Had EJ been picked in the third round, he would have been cut already. The fact that he was picked in the first has totally impeded the Bills from finding a real starting QB. He's only still here because Whaley wants to save face so badly and won't admit that EJ is a total bust.

Comment

• Buffalogic
      Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
      • Feb 2006

Doesn't matter where he was picked, results are the same.

Comment

• GreedoII
        • Aug 2007

Originally posted by WagonCircler View Post
        Had EJ been picked in the third round, he would have been cut already. The fact that he was picked in the first has totally impeded the Bills from finding a real starting QB. He's only still here because Whaley wants to save face so badly and won't admit that EJ is a total bust.

I still believe it's Nix's guy and not Whaley. Nix was the GM and made the pick with the blessing of that d-bag Russ Brandon.

Comment

• Victor7
          • Jul 2013

He'd probably not be on our roster if that was the case. Management would've had no issues letting go of a 3rd round developmental player.

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
            • Feb 2005

Obviously all can say what they will and dismiss what they want... But if EJ's 14 game (year 1 + 2) stats are projected for 16 games, he would have finished 21st in yards (3,211) and 19th in TD's (18) last season. Given these facts, I don't know how anyone can claim he simply stinks.

Comment

• Swiper
              Legendary Zoner
              • Sep 2010

Originally posted by GreedoII View Post
              I still believe it's Nix's guy and not Whaley. Nix was the GM and made the pick with the blessing of that d-bag Russ Brandon.
              Perhaps this article needs to be posted again.

It appears former boss Buddy Nix wasn't in the driver's seat when the Buffalo Bills drafted quarterback EJ Manuel. Find out what new general manager Doug Whaley revealed on "NFL Total Access."

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm View Post
              Obviously all can say what they will and dismiss what they want... But if EJ's 14 game (year 1 + 2) stats are projected for 16 games, he would have finished 21st in yards (3,211) and 19th in TD's (18) last season. Given these facts, I don't know how anyone can claim he simply stinks.

Maybe that cameraman he nailed the other day could.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                • Sep 2012

If EJ was picked in the 3rd, I agree that people would see him for what he is: an extremely athletic project QB. The first round label brings first round expectations. He would not have been the opening day starter two years in a row.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• EDS
                  • Jan 2003

I think EJ is a fine backup QB. Where he was drafted would not change my view on that. Problem is that the Bills still need a franchise QB.

Comment

• sukie
                    Seriously?
                    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by EDS View Post
                    I think EJ is a fine backup QB. Where he was drafted would not change my view on that. Problem is that the Bills still need a franchise QB.
                    Interesting... Many here feel that the Bills will get a franchise player by NOT playing anyone that isn't 30 or older at QB and the franchise QB will magically appear and wave a wand... poof - franchise QB.

Comment

• GreedoII
                      • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
                      Perhaps this article needs to be posted again.

It appears former boss Buddy Nix wasn't in the driver's seat when the Buffalo Bills drafted quarterback EJ Manuel. Find out what new general manager Doug Whaley revealed on "NFL Total Access."

- - - Updated - - -

Don't buy it man..just don't....

Maybe that cameraman he nailed the other day could.

Comment

• Typ0
                        honey pie
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by WagonCircler View Post
                        Can't agree with this. Who is this phantom guy we would have gotten? I think they are doing their best to fill the position the right opportunity hasn't been available.

As far as EJ goes....it was Nix pick. He's on record he wanted to find the franchise QB before he left. He saw EJ has the attributes and reached to get him hoping for the best. Manuel was never seen as a franchise prospect unfortunately.

I don't think much about 1st round 2nd round 3rd round stuff ... that's all a $$$ discussion. Some guys overperform others underperform. It's just par for the course and the chances you have to take.

Comment

• Mike
                          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by GreedoII View Post
                          You can believe that all you want but at the end of the day, Whaley stated that he made the pick 100% on ESPN following the draft. He was very clear, authoritative and took fullresponsibility.
                          Please Make Sense

Comment

• Swiper
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Typ0 View Post

As far as EJ goes....it was Nix pick. He's on record he wanted to find the franchise QB before he left. He saw EJ has the attributes and reached to get him hoping for the best. Manuel was never seen as a franchise prospect unfortunately.
                            Again: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...ej-manuel-pick

Bradham aside, who is the one with the FSU lust?

Comment

• Mike
                              • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Typ0 View Post
                              Can't agree with this. Who is this phantom guy we would have gotten? I think they are doing their best to fill the position the right opportunity hasn't been available.

I don't think much about 1st round 2nd round 3rd round stuff ... that's all a $$$ discussion. Some guys overperform others underperform. It's just par for the course and the chances you have to take.
                              Bills would have probably drafted a QB last year instead of Watkins and still had their 1st round pick this year.
                              We might have Johnny Football, Bridgewater or Carr.
                              Please Make Sense

Comment

Working...
                              X