PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Draft Need Positions

DesertFox24
08-25-2015, 01:02 PM
Granted we do not know the roster or who we will resign or extend, but based on the current cap situation and the eventual Marcel Dareus contract I think we can safely assume some things. First of all I am going to assume Nigel Bradham is gone, so we will need some linebacker help for sure. Corner, we will always be drafting corners but with Leodis being hurt and getting up there in age, not much proven outside corner depth, and Gilmore coming up after 2016 season I think we can assume this will be something we look at. Glenn at OT, I love the guy and want him here but I think he will get big money elsewhere and it might be hard to keep him. Now if Cassal, Harvin are cut and Clay, Mario, and some others do some restructures then he may stay. That being said I am counting on him going. So right now I have QB, LB, and OT as the three primary needs and CB as the fourth. Let me know your thoughs, I do this now so I can try and plan to watch some of the top players at these positions during the college season.

Night Train
08-25-2015, 01:09 PM
QB but Whaley is probably right that the Bills won't be picking low enough to snag a frontline prospect.

Otherwise, CB and OT are the smart $$. McLovin may be near the end of the line and Gilmore may/may not get the big raise here. OT is always wise.

Plenty of time to sort that out.

SpikedLemonade
08-25-2015, 01:25 PM
We probably need a C if Eric Wood continues to regress and not play to his contract.

I suspect we will also need a G to replace Incognito.

justasportsfan
08-25-2015, 01:30 PM
we need more rb with our 1st 2 picks.

Joe Fo Sho
08-25-2015, 02:21 PM
Are there any potential cap casualties next year? There always seems to be someone that we can cut to save a bunch of cap space, I'm just not up on our cap situation as much as some of you guys.

I'd really like to keep Nigel.

cookie G
08-25-2015, 03:10 PM
We probably need a C if Eric Wood continues to regress and not play to his contract.

I suspect we will also need a G to replace Incognito.

QB and OL should be the only thing we consider. Hire Ron Wolf for a year and let him run the show.

Let him find a QB. Lock Rex in the men's room of the Big Tree on draft day, or we'll waste our 1st on a cb again.

I hope that was just rust on Incognito, but I counted 4 blocks missed on the opening drive. It won't be long before the volcano inside him erupts anyway.

Kujo can really move people on drive blocking..but man is he slow off the ball. Henderson looked about the same as he did last year during preseason. Be wary when the live ammo starts firing.

And there is a good chance Glenn escapes via free agency. Because..well...its what we do.

SpikedLemonade
08-25-2015, 03:16 PM
QB and OL should be the only thing we consider. Hire Ron Wolf for a year and let him run the show.

Let him find a QB. Lock Rex in the men's room of the Big Tree on draft day, or we'll waste our 1st on a cb again.

I hope that was just rust on Incognito, but I counted 4 blocks missed on the opening drive. It won't be long before the volcano inside him erupts anyway.

Kujo can really move people on drive blocking..but man is he slow off the ball. Henderson looked about the same as he did last year during preseason. Be wary when the live ammo starts firing.

And there is a good chance Glenn escapes via free agency. Because..well...its what we do.

If Glenn leaves, add LT to the list. If that happens and we don't get serious about investing early draft picks or big money on FA OLs, our OL next year could be even worse than this year.

But golly geez our DL is #1!!!!!!

trapezeus
08-25-2015, 03:21 PM
i think the bills are going to have to get mario to restructure. he got big upfront money. if it's pitched to provide him dareus, he may go for it.

OL needs more help. as we see it thus far.

X-Era
08-25-2015, 03:46 PM
Granted we do not know the roster or who we will resign or extend, but based on the current cap situation and the eventual Marcel Dareus contract I think we can safely assume some things. First of all I am going to assume Nigel Bradham is gone, so we will need some linebacker help for sure. Corner, we will always be drafting corners but with Leodis being hurt and getting up there in age, not much proven outside corner depth, and Gilmore coming up after 2016 season I think we can assume this will be something we look at. Glenn at OT, I love the guy and want him here but I think he will get big money elsewhere and it might be hard to keep him. Now if Cassal, Harvin are cut and Clay, Mario, and some others do some restructures then he may stay. That being said I am counting on him going. So right now I have QB, LB, and OT as the three primary needs and CB as the fourth. Let me know your thoughs, I do this now so I can try and plan to watch some of the top players at these positions during the college season.

Dareus, F Jax, Glenn, Cassel, and Bradham highlight the potential FA losses

Dareus is likely to get the franchise tag if a deal isn't done- Probably 12 mil franchise tag

F Jax would retire or sign a low vet contract at this point- Could be had probably for 2 mill per for a few years. I'm alright with him leaving if he does. He's been awesome but he's the backup and youth may be better.

Glenn is a concern because you're likely looking at top 15-20 LT money- 5.5-8 mill per

Bradham could sign for 4-5 mill per; he's no better than top 15-20 ILB money

Cassel all depends on what we want to do at QB. I think we may want him as a vet presence. 5-6 mill may do it

So, your looking at eating up 25 mill just in Dareus, Glenn, and Bradham. Long term deals could push the cap hits down to maybe 18 or less. Mario restructures maybe even Clay. Gilmore extension and restructure of Harvin are possibilities.

At that point you probably skip free agency (at least significantly spending wise)

And your top priorities become:
QB

After that you think about:
LB
CB

I think we keep Glenn so OT get's crossed off
I think we keep Bradham so LB isn't so much of a need
And I think McKelvin, Robey, Gilmore, Darby covers the guts of the CB spot with guys like Cockrell likely to battle for the 5th spot. Draftee for the 5th spot makes sense.

As I said before, if we like a QB and feel our roster is as strong as it is we should make the big move (cough up picks) to get him. Tyrod and EJ can be in the mix as well with the rook.

The Jokeman
08-25-2015, 05:50 PM
QB seems like the most obvious pick. Yet as eluded if Glenn bolts OT moves up the boards. I could debate LB too with Bradham another UFA guy who could leave. Yet one position that needs to be commented on is DT. As Kyle Williams is getting up there in age and Corbin Bryant and Stefan Charles might only stick around as backups for a year or two longer so we might want to shore up a possible replacement for Kyle or find a true NT because if Rex remains our HC long term think 3-4 is going to be our base defense over time.

YardRat
08-25-2015, 06:00 PM
This is waaaaay too early, and a lot can change during the season, but as things stand right now the only definitive upgrades I see as a 'need' are QB and Center, maybe safety. Of course, depending on how contracts shake out, DT, OT and LBer could top that list pretty quickly.

Mace
08-25-2015, 06:45 PM

Dareus is likely to get the franchise tag if a deal isn't done- Probably 12 mil franchise tag

F Jax would retire or sign a low vet contract at this point- Could be had probably for 2 mill per for a few years. I'm alright with him leaving if he does. He's been awesome but he's the backup and youth may be better.

Glenn is a concern because you're likely looking at top 15-20 LT money- 5.5-8 mill per

Cassel all depends on what we want to do at QB. I think we may want him as a vet presence. 5-6 mill may do it

So, your looking at eating up 25 mill just in Dareus, Glenn, and Bradham. Long term deals could push the cap hits down to maybe 18 or less. Mario restructures maybe even Clay. Gilmore extension and restructure of Harvin are possibilities.

At that point you probably skip free agency (at least significantly spending wise)

QB

LB
CB

And I think McKelvin, Robey, Gilmore, Darby covers the guts of the CB spot with guys like Cockrell likely to battle for the 5th spot. Draftee for the 5th spot makes sense.

As I said before, if we like a QB and feel our roster is as strong as it is we should make the big move (cough up picks) to get him. Tyrod and EJ can be in the mix as well with the rook.

Depending a lot on Richardson's development and Incognito's regular season form, I might add guard to it.

DraftBoy
08-25-2015, 06:46 PM
CB

k-oneputt
08-25-2015, 06:53 PM
Dareus isn't going anywhere.
I would think Glenn is 50/50.
Same with Cassel depending on this year.
F-Jax is gone. One way or another.
And Bradham will be the sacrificial lamb to keep Dareus and hopefully Glenn.

swiper
08-25-2015, 07:02 PM
CB

Corey Graham is still one of the two best CBs on this roster. They have moved him to safety.

They have Gilmore, McKelvin, Graham, Darby, Robey, Butler, Brooks, Cockrell, & Lankster

While a lot can happen between now and January, and I agree with the dictum that you can never have enough good CBs in this NFL, I just don't see the need currently.

k-oneputt
08-25-2015, 07:11 PM
If he was one of the two best cb's on the roster he would still be at cb.

DraftBoy
08-25-2015, 07:29 PM
Corey Graham is still one of the two best CBs on this roster. They have moved him to safety.

They have Gilmore, McKelvin, Graham, Darby, Robey, Butler, Brooks, Cockrell, & Lankster

While a lot can happen between now and January, and I agree with the dictum that you can never have enough good CBs in this NFL, I just don't see the need currently.

I was actually kidding...

YardRat
08-25-2015, 07:47 PM
If he was one of the two best cb's on the roster he would still be at cb.

If Rex Ryan was such a great head coach, he'd still be in NY.

I don't like moving Graham to safety.

DesertFox24
08-25-2015, 08:32 PM

QB

LB
CB

I think Glenn will get close to 10, but if we are able to keep Bradham, Dareus, and Glenn I will be very happy. I do worry about Gilmore and Robert Woods, but I think we can def get Gilmore done as the cap will eventually approach 200 million. Woodsie might be a different case especially if Watkins is a legit future HOF, may have to let him walk so they can extend Watkins.

In other words the people we need to worry about are Dareus, Bradham, Glenn, Gilmore, Woods for the next two off seasons.

DesertFox24
08-25-2015, 08:33 PM
As for our Free Agency, I highly doubt we will sign anyone until after 11 May in the next few years and that will be cheap 1 year vet min deals.

Ingtar33
08-25-2015, 09:42 PM
Depends on who we resign; but all lists have to start somewhere

1) QB - we really should be drafting 1 per draft till we have a difference maker
2) CB/FS - I think we're not as strong with our secondary as we think, the pass rush covers up a lot
3) OL - not sure where yet, probably Center or OT, but we'll see
4) DT - this could be no.2 if we can't resign Darius, even if we do, we need to start to plan for Kyle Williams's eventual decline.
5) MLB - still not sold on the run stopping ability of our linebackers; i think we'll miss spikes.
6) DE - We're not young at DE, doesn't hurt to start drafting

swiper
08-26-2015, 03:41 AM
I was actually kidding...

:box::teary::fit::lol::beers:

LOL. Went right over my head. Thanks.

X-Era
08-26-2015, 03:11 PM
Depends on who we resign; but all lists have to start somewhere

1) QB - we really should be drafting 1 per draft till we have a difference maker
2) CB/FS - I think we're not as strong with our secondary as we think, the pass rush covers up a lot
3) OL - not sure where yet, probably Center or OT, but we'll see
4) DT - this could be no.2 if we can't resign Darius, even if we do, we need to start to plan for Kyle Williams's eventual decline.
5) MLB - still not sold on the run stopping ability of our linebackers; i think we'll miss spikes.
6) DE - We're not young at DE, doesn't hurt to start drafting
Agree on all Ing... well except for CB but Leodis may get cut and Gilmore is entering a contract year; we can always use good corners.

Totally agree on drafting 1 or even 2 QB's every draft until we get one.

I'm not as down on the OL as many are but I never am either.

At MLB, or really and LB spot I'd love to have a stud in that group. I'd be fine with spending even a 1st on a stud LB. I think it's the weakness of our offense and is crucial not only against the run but also in short to mid range coverage on TE's, RB's, and slot WR's

sudzy
08-26-2015, 05:09 PM
Punt catcher