PDA

View Full Version : EJ gets start vs Pittsburgh

Yasgur's Farm
08-27-2015, 11:29 AM
Twist away boys.

swiper
08-27-2015, 11:31 AM
Hopefully this will be the death knell for his career.

Yasgur's Farm
08-27-2015, 11:31 AM
As a Bills fan, my hope is that he plays lights out.

MillsapsBillsFan
08-27-2015, 11:32 AM
He's earned another chance. But I still think he would have to play really really well in this game to take the job from either Tyrod or Cassel.

But this is it, this is his shot. If he messes up he wont be the starter. End discussion there

don137
08-27-2015, 11:32 AM
Does Rex Ryan have to announce ahead of before game day who will be the starter? Ryan could make havoc on the Colts trying to figure out who to prepare for especially since they are different style QBs.

HHURRICANE
08-27-2015, 11:35 AM
Maybe trying to highlight EJ for a trade or...........

They are trying to trade Cassel.

swiper
08-27-2015, 11:35 AM

As a Bills fan I want them to play the best QB and he's not it. But it's ok. I can see what's going on any way. They gave the real starter the most reps in practice this week so he's ready to go.

I hope the camera men know to wear helmets at this game on Saturday.

Bill Cody
08-27-2015, 11:40 AM
interesting. Why would Rex do this? Hasn't he read this board?

trapezeus
08-27-2015, 11:41 AM
ej needs to play consistent with passes on the mark. who cares if he's 3 of 12 or 11-12. if his passes are where they are supposed to be, i'm happy with him.

and i'd see where the number 2 qb plays. is he consistent with guys he doesn't play with? if that's the case for tyrod, then he's done better than i expected through camp and in preseason.

Victor7
08-27-2015, 11:42 AM
This is Rex telling EJ ..... "this is it man, here's your shot with the ones vs ones. No more 3rd stringers. Put up or shut up time"

This is big for Manuel. I don't think he has a shot at starting even if he does well. But at least he would earn his roster spot which I've always thought was in danger. May the odds be ever in your favor EJ.

djjimkelly
08-27-2015, 11:43 AM
WOW is all i can say.

remember rex saying something about russell wilson going from 3 to 1 earlier this camp.

well everyone thought he was talking about tyrod .

i guess not.

regardless let the best man win.

even this start means nothing right now.

Strongman
08-27-2015, 11:55 AM
It's good to see Rex giving EJ's a fair shake. I hope he's improved from the Marrone/Hackett fiasco and can be a viable starter or a good backup for us. If not, either cut him or maybe try converting him to a TE/emergency QB type of player.

Buffalogic
08-27-2015, 12:11 PM
This is weird. Real weird.

Jimkelly12203
08-27-2015, 12:13 PM
very interesting. and for those of you who think he has a chance to be the starter (even if he plays great in the 1 quarter he will get in this game) you are truly delusional. I like EJ and think he is worth keeping around. But he's not a viable starting option for this team. That is to say, the people that run the organization are not seriously considering him for the job. If you need to keep telling yourself that they are (despite the rep distribution these last two months) then IDK what to say. I hope he plays great and either earns a spot as the 3rd QB on the team or lands us a trade of some value.

mightysimi
08-27-2015, 12:15 PM
I think this is a showcase to see if he can be a viable backup. If that is the case, I think it's bye Cassel and his 5m goes to Dareus

Jimkelly12203
08-27-2015, 12:16 PM
WOW is all i can say.

remember rex saying something about russell wilson going from 3 to 1 earlier this camp.

well everyone thought he was talking about tyrod .

i guess not.

regardless let the best man win.

even this start means nothing right now.

No. If you follow the way camp has gone, he's not a viable contender for the 1st string gig. Even if he plays lights out (which I hope he does). I am so certain that EJ will not be the week 1 starter (baring injury to Taylor and Cassel mind you) that I will delete my account if EJ takes the first snap against Indy and never return to the Billszone. And I like it here. I'm that confident that there is a zero percent chance of EJ being named the starter.

The King
08-27-2015, 12:24 PM
I think they're trying to limit the scouting on the actual starter but I wish EJ the best.

sudzy
08-27-2015, 12:46 PM
What a waste of what is suppose to be the tune up game.

SpikedLemonade
08-27-2015, 12:49 PM
It can only be good news if EJ plays well. They don't have to start EJ for the Home Opener even if he plays well this Saturday.

djjimkelly
08-27-2015, 12:52 PM
No. If you follow the way camp has gone, he's not a viable contender for the 1st string gig. Even if he plays lights out (which I hope he does). I am so certain that EJ will not be the week 1 starter (baring injury to Taylor and Cassel mind you) that I will delete my account if EJ takes the first snap against Indy and never return to the Billszone. And I like it here. I'm that confident that there is a zero percent chance of EJ being named the starter.

dont delete your account lol

and listen 0 % is semi laughable.

i refuse to believe the coaches organization arent sincere in this decision. and if the opposite is the case like your suggesting then our franchised is more doomed then ever.(doubt that is the case)

this being said i dont care who starts week 1 .......... JUST WIN

Meathead
08-27-2015, 12:52 PM
i dont really see it as a legit chance for ej to start the opener, really just rex being fair, or as somebody else pointed out as an audition for a trade

but we also dont know what rexy and co are seeing in practices now and how they are evaluating. in all new systems the last part of camp means the most, its still quite reasonable to say if one guy shows they have put it all together better than the others its possible any of them could take control of the job

perhaps they see something we dont yet and are still considering him at the starter., but i still find that unlikely

Jimkelly12203
08-27-2015, 01:21 PM
EJ would probably be the starter if he didn't match each brilliant pass with two that are wildly off target. And if he didn't fumble the exchange from the center so often. He's just too inconsistent and goofy with the ball to be relied on IMO. When he's on, he looks great. It's just that he's often VERY off.

Ed
08-27-2015, 01:26 PM
Comments from Rex:

"Like I said from Day 1, this is a real competition," Ryan said. "My plan was to give everybody opportunities -- whether it was equal reps or whatever -- nobody can say nobody was given a fair shot here. So we've been giving it.

"I looked at it going in thinking I'd start EJ in that [intrasquad] scrimmage [Aug. 8] and we'll look at that third preseason game. But as I got to it, I thought EJ earned his shot at this. He played well in those two [preseason] games. And that [scrimmage] really wasn't like starting a preseason game. So we'll see.

"EJ, all he's gotten reps with was the [third team] and the [second team]. Now it's a shot to get reps with the ones as well. I feel good about that."

It sounds like Watkins and Woods are both going to be out, so we're still not really seeing any of them play with all the starters.

Jimkelly12203
08-27-2015, 01:33 PM
Comments from Rex:

It sounds like Watkins and Woods are both going to be out, so we're still not really seeing any of them play with all the starters.
I feel like we're too injured to do the normal 3rd pre-season game where starters get a full half. I wouldn't play the 1s any more than 1 quarter in these next two games. Maybe some years the conventional wisdom would prevail. But we're just too damn hurt for my liking at this point. In fact, i'm sort of hoping that at least some of these "injuries" are being over-played in an effort to protect the health of a few of our more important players.

ct bills fan
08-27-2015, 01:36 PM
Don't read into it too deeply, other than it being EJ's turn to start. The starters will play into the 3rd, with all 3 qb's getting 2-3 drives with the starters. The more interesting thing to see will be who goes #2, after EJ? My gut says TT will be the starter after this game, unless something goes terribly wrong.

Mike
08-27-2015, 01:43 PM
Each QB gets to start a game.

Coaches are clearly giving each QB the chance to show what they can do with the 1's. In practice EJ has clearly fallen to 3rd, now the coaches want to see what he actually does in a game.

Face it EJ fanboys, your boy is getting more than a fair shot from a coaching regime that owes him nothing. Clearly the Bills coaches are looking to start the best QB. If EJ fails, it's his failure not some conspiracy or lack of opportunity.

Mr. Pink
08-27-2015, 01:45 PM
Each QB gets to start a game.

Coaches are clearly giving each QB the chance to show what they can do with the 1's. In practice EJ has clearly fallen to 3rd, now the coaches want to see what he actually does in a game.

Face it EJ fanboys, your boy is getting more than a fair shot from a coaching regime that owes him nothing. Clearly the Bills coaches are looking to start the best QB. If EJ fails, it's his failure not some conspiracy or lack of opportunity.

You know I dislike EJ as a QB more than anyone, sadly he's shown more in games than the other 2 guys have. To be fair to Cassel he hasn't really had an adequate showing to display himself this preseason though.

Yes I know preseason is meaningless, practices are even more meaningless.

Jimkelly12203
08-27-2015, 01:46 PM
Egads I pray we don't play starters into the third quarter. Just one look at our OL depth alone makes me cringe at the thought. And you can forget about skill position starters playing even a single snap on Saturday in many/most cases. We don't have the luxury of treating this like a typical dress rehearsal game. And so we are not.

Jimkelly12203
08-27-2015, 01:48 PM
You know I dislike EJ as a QB more than anyone, sadly he's shown more in games than the other 2 guys have. To be fair to Cassel he hasn't really had an adequate showing to display himself this preseason though.

This analysis leaves me speechless. Perhaps if you simply look at the raw stats you can make a semi-decent argument that EJ has looked best in this pre-season. But if you've honestly watched every snap and come away with the same opinion, I think our brains inhabit different dimensions or something. Or maybe i am (or you are) having acid flashbacks from the 90s or something.

The King
08-27-2015, 01:49 PM
I think EJ had confidence issues when we drafted him. Marrone screwed him up royally. As many have mentioned EJ has show flashes in particular his late game drives but something in his head is just off.

Mr. Pink
08-27-2015, 01:52 PM
This analysis leaves me speechless. Perhaps if you simply look at the raw stats you can make a semi-decent argument that EJ has looked best in this pre-season. But if you've honestly watched every snap and come away with the same opinion, I think our brains inhabit different dimensions or something. Or maybe i am (or you are) having acid flashbacks from the 90s or something.

I've watched the games.

EJ led two minute drill led to a win. Tyrod two minute drill led to a dink, dunk, punt.

EJ threw the prettiest pass out of any of the QBs for a long TD. Tyrod can scramble for 12 yards after his first read isn't there.

All I have to evaluate what I've seen out of Cassel is one drive where it was dink, dunk, FG...all I've seen out if Tyrod with the starters is dink, dunk, scramble, FG out of one half.

You can't make any evaluation out of Cassel really since he's barely played, Tyrod is a running back attempting to be a QB ala Kordell Stewart style and EJ makes mistakes and makes some good plays actually throwing the ball.

What other conclusion have you made out of this group?

Mike
08-27-2015, 02:08 PM

Interesting...

I only watched the Browns game and came away pretty impressed with TT. EJ looked like EJ for the most part. When I watch EJ play this is what I see:

1. Someone that generally struggles reading defenses
2. Poor Accuracy & ball placement issues
3. Very good arm strength & can make almost every throw
4. Good, size & physical attributes
5. Slow eyes: takes too long to go through his progression
6. Really poor pocket awareness
7. Slow reactions in the pocket
8. Throwing motion issues: Slow release & long wind up

Overall, EJ is slow at everything that really matters in football: slow to read defense, slow in progressions, slow throwing motion & movements in the pocket, slow to set his feet etc...

Every once in a while everything goes perfect (reads defense correctly, hot read is open, clean pocket, decent mechanics, good throw) and he looks like an NFL QB. Problem is that he is inconsistent and lacks mastery. These chance occurrences happen when all the stars align which is the mark of a second rate QB.

Top NFL QBs don't depend on circumstances falling just right, they DICTATE the game.

In preseason EJ has continued being EJ in all the ways mentioned above. The way he plays football is still the same. He hasn't improved enough in areas mention above to note a fundamental difference in his ability.

ICRockets
08-27-2015, 02:20 PM
Interesting...

I only watched the Browns game and came away pretty impressed with TT. EJ looked like EJ for the most part. When I watch EJ play this is what I see:

1. Someone that generally struggles reading defenses
2. Poor Accuracy & ball placement issues
3. Very good arm strength & can make almost every throw
4. Good, size & physical attributes
5. Slow eyes: takes too long to go through his progression
6. Really poor pocket awareness
7. Slow reactions in the pocket
8. Throwing motion issues: Slow release & long wind up

Overall, EJ is slow at everything that really matters in football: slow to read defense, slow in progressions, slow throwing motion & movements in the pocket, slow to set his feet etc...

Every once in a while everything goes perfect (reads defense correctly, hot read is open, clean pocket, decent mechanics, good throw) and he looks like an NFL QB. Problem is that he is inconsistent and lacks mastery. These chance occurrences happen when all the stars align which is the mark of a second rate QB.

Top NFL QBs don't depend on circumstances falling just right, they DICTATE the game.

In preseason EJ has continued being EJ in all the ways mentioned above. The way he plays football is still the same. He hasn't improved enough in areas mention above to note a fundamental difference in his ability.

I actually LIKE what I've seen of EJ in the first 2 games and I still agree with everything said here. I'm willing to be convinced that he's the best option, but right now I think he's going to have a better NFL career as a backup than he could as a starter.

And I think that comes down to confidence. I just don't think he has much. I think if he's the #2 and comes in when the starter goes down, there's going to be less pressure on his shoulders. And that's going to help him. The #1 QB role is a burden, and a guy like EJ just doesn't seem like he has it in him to carry that for a full season. I think he's probably a really great person. But he doesn't have the composure he needs to be a successful starter in the NFL, if you ask me.

Personally, I theorize that he has ADHD. People with ADHD are generally "people pleasers" so we get uncomfortable if people around us are unhappy and we put it on ourselves to change that. That's not a healthy mindset for anyone, but certainly not for the guy who needs to be the de facto leader of an NFL offense.

Night Train
08-27-2015, 02:25 PM
I wish him the best. If they sit the WR starters and Thompson was hurt today, that leaves them with about 4 WR's.

IlluminatusUIUC
08-27-2015, 02:32 PM
i dont really see it as a legit chance for ej to start the opener, really just rex being fair, or as somebody else pointed out as an audition for a trade

The 1billion to 1 odds hit, then?

That's true, but we have seen him play with Watkins and Woods before.

And I think that comes down to confidence. I just don't think he has much. I think if he's the #2 and comes in when the starter goes down, there's going to be less pressure on his shoulders. And that's going to help him. The #1 QB role is a burden, and a guy like EJ just doesn't seem like he has it in him to carry that for a full season. I think he's probably a really great person. But he doesn't have the composure he needs to be a successful starter in the NFL, if you ask me.

Personally, I theorize that he has ADHD. People with ADHD are generally "people pleasers" so we get uncomfortable if people around us are unhappy and we put it on ourselves to change that. That's not a healthy mindset for anyone, but certainly not for the guy who needs to be the de facto leader of an NFL offense.

I don't think it has anything to do with his personality, I just think it's next to impossible to be an effective leader of men if you are noticeably worse at your job then they are at theirs. Doubly so if your failure is putting them at risk, like EJ does when he hangs a wideout out to dry.

There's only so much "composure" can do to inspire people if you are just airmailing throws.

Jimkelly12203
08-27-2015, 02:47 PM
I've watched the games.

EJ led two minute drill led to a win. Tyrod two minute drill led to a dink, dunk, punt.

EJ threw the prettiest pass out of any of the QBs for a long TD. Tyrod can scramble for 12 yards after his first read isn't there.

All I have to evaluate what I've seen out of Cassel is one drive where it was dink, dunk, FG...all I've seen out if Tyrod with the starters is dink, dunk, scramble, FG out of one half.

You can't make any evaluation out of Cassel really since he's barely played, Tyrod is a running back attempting to be a QB ala Kordell Stewart style and EJ makes mistakes and makes some good plays actually throwing the ball.

What other conclusion have you made out of this group?

Fair enough. I can't dispute anything you said. But I don't discount the dink and dunk stuff as much as you and I think you're analysis of Taylor is off. I saw him throw some really nice passes. Hardly just a poor man's Vick. There were at least two bombs that should have been caught and were perfectly placed. He also looked poised and was deadly with his legs. He has also been excellent with his legs. He played outstanding with the twos and decent with the ones. To his disservice, I don't think I saw him look off his first read even one time. As for Cassel, I mean he's been very efficient if unspectacular. I can't get past EJ missing wide open players twice for each nice throw and fumbling snaps. He also seems extremely erratic and prone to lay it on the ground when the pocket goes to hell. Its not that I think you're wrong with the above (other than about Taylor) it's just that I think you're leaving out other stuff. To each his own. I hope EJ plays great Saturday.

EDS
08-27-2015, 03:48 PM
Can anyone think of an NFL team that would trade something of value for EJ or Cassel?

Generalissimus Gibby
08-27-2015, 04:09 PM
Although I think this is a sham, and they already know who the starter is, (Cassell or Taylor), I think its good to give EJ a chance against first string opposition to prove that maybe he deserves to be a starter.

The Jokeman
08-27-2015, 04:15 PM
Can anyone think of an NFL team that would trade something of value for EJ or Cassel?

If Brady is suspended for 4 games and was available I bet New England take him on as a spot starter in a heardbeat. Now in terms of value it depends what you value Cassel as? If it's a backup QB then I'd say think we could get a depth TE or LB for him or maybe a mid round (5th Round) draft pick. EJ could go to a team with an aging starter and questionable backup (see New Orleans and Arizona for maybe a mid round pick). I think the have more value here than elsewhere and/or what we could get in return.

JoeMama
08-27-2015, 04:31 PM
Hey, good for EJ. Kid's out there putting in the work and showing some flashes.

I think he's performed well enough to get a fair shake with the ones.

A judicious move by Rex if nothing else.

LVGrown
08-27-2015, 04:39 PM
dont delete your account lol

and listen 0 % is semi laughable.

i refuse to believe the coaches organization arent sincere in this decision. and if the opposite is the case like your suggesting then our franchised is more doomed then ever.(doubt that is the case)

this being said i dont care who starts week 1 .......... JUST WIN

Agreed ... I do not care who starts as long as they win enough games to get us in the playoffs. I am so tired of saying, "theres always next year"! Eff next year, I want this year.

ghz in pittsburgh
08-27-2015, 05:10 PM
It's simple guys. Rex wants Tyrod, the rest offensive coaches want Cassel. So EJ is the compromise.

Seriously there should not be any doubt that EJ has improved. Maybe they want to see if the improvement carries over to real game like scenario - the Steelers are going to play 1st string the entire first half.

Personally I like what I saw from Tyrod, the more "it" factor in the pocket. But it's just me that I value a guy having football sense (where the play is, the sense of pressure etc.) more than any measurables.

The Jokeman
08-27-2015, 05:15 PM
It's simple guys. Rex wants Tyrod, the rest offensive coaches want Cassel. So EJ is the compromise.

Seriously there should not be any doubt that EJ has improved. Maybe they want to see if the improvement carries over to real game like scenario - the Steelers are going to play 1st string the entire first half.

Personally I like what I saw from Tyrod, the more "it" factor in the pocket. But it's just me that I value a guy having football sense (where the play is, the sense of pressure etc.) more than any measurables.

Have you watched the same preseason I've watched? Tyrod has basically been a 1 read and throw guy and if not open than run. Rarely have I seen him scan the field and many have his throws that he's completed have been dump offs to running backs and why his yards per completion is so low. Heck if Goodwin doesn't make a great run after catch against Carolina it be far worse.

ghz in pittsburgh
08-27-2015, 05:29 PM
I admit I only saw one game, that is the Cleveland game. I was impressed. Especially 3rd down conversions.

I did, however, mentioned that he would have trouble scoring TD in the redzone. To me he's not built to throw darts in the middle, which is critical in the redzone.

djjimkelly
08-27-2015, 05:30 PM
Have you watched the same preseason I've watched? Tyrod has basically been a 1 read and throw guy and if not open than run. Rarely have I seen him scan the field and many have his throws that he's completed have been dump offs to running backs and why his yards per completion is so low. Heck if Goodwin doesn't make a great run after catch against Carolina it be far worse.

shhh dont put down the shiiny new toy. the kids all still love it.

that being said if its tyrod eventually with the nod ill support him, same with cassel but ill curse cassel hard at the first mistake i dont see too much upside to cassel

ghz in pittsburgh
08-27-2015, 05:39 PM
Still for Bills offense, 1st team really means 1st team offensive line. top WR/TE/RB are all out. If they play 3 quarters, each QB gets one quarter as Rex said each QB will get 1st team reps. I'd throw caution to Rex - the Steelers had to sign Legursky after Pouncey hurt in last preseason game, out of season. I shudder to think any of Bills starting 5 gets hurt.

The Jokeman
08-27-2015, 05:52 PM
shhh dont put down the shiiny new toy. the kids all still love it.

that being said if its tyrod eventually with the nod ill support him, same with cassel but ill curse cassel hard at the first mistake i dont see too much upside to cassel

I'll support him too but it doesn't mean I can't point out his flaws. I agree there is little upside in Cassel. Yet because he's the most complete passer I prefer see him starting than anyone else assuming McCoy's healthy.

The Jokeman
08-27-2015, 05:53 PM
I admit I only saw one game, that is the Cleveland game. I was impressed. Especially 3rd down conversions.

I did, however, mentioned that he would have trouble scoring TD in the redzone. To me he's not built to throw darts in the middle, which is critical in the redzone.

That was in one drive against a Cleveland secondary that was missing 2 starters.

Mace
08-27-2015, 06:02 PM
Whether you like or don't like EJ, it's playing out as it should without having a clear cut, head and shoulders above the rest, starter. I like the decision though I only expect him to play a couple series. This is his chance to make an impression or show something with the ones. Good luck to him.

Then no matter who they pick, good luck to us all.

I don't see it as a waste of a tune up game though. They don't have a "no doubts" "sure thing" starter so there's nothing to tune up besides accurate handoffs and some iffy smallball. We're just not tuning up a Peyton Manning or read-option offensive machine. We're "tuning up" a rushing offense. It makes more sense to me to keep using preseason as practice atm.

BillsImpossible
08-27-2015, 06:21 PM
Smart move by Rex Ryan. Keep everyone guessing. I think Cassel will be the second QB to see the field against the Steelers.

Ryan's main goal? Show as little from Tyrod Taylor as possible because he's going to be the starter.

A lot of fans seem to think that EJ has not had a fair shot to win the job, so Rex is going all in on being more than fair.

It's a swim or sink opportunity for EJ Manuel. If he's good, he stays. If he's bad, buh-bye.

If EJ is EJ on Saturday, nobody is going to be saying he didn't get a fair shot.

The first 2 series on offense will be critical for EJ Manuel.

EJ just got put on the hot seat.

psubills62
08-27-2015, 07:27 PM
If EJ has earned it, good for him. I truly hope he does well.

My guess in this situation is that since everyone knows the 3rd preseason game reveals your default starters, that the staff is purposefully trying to muddy the waters. But we'll see.

BillsImpossible
08-27-2015, 07:34 PM

You fail to mention the fact that the Bills are running a vanilla offense that is all of 2 pages long.

They're asking the QB's to go out there and make simple plays.

I think the Bills preseason goal is to show absolutely nothing besides basic plays.

The Bills have a strategic advantage this year that is unique in the NFL, and very rare.

Nobody knows who the quarterback will be, and no team has film on what the 2015 Buffalo Bills offense will be like once the season starts.

Gotta' give major props to Rex Ryan for NOT being the same old coach that follows what everyone else is doing.

By naming EJ Manuel the starting quarterback in the Bills 3rd preseason game he has effectively tossed the dress rehearsal script out of the window.

Refreshing.

ghz in pittsburgh
08-27-2015, 07:38 PM
That was in one drive against a Cleveland secondary that was missing 2 starters.

Well he had the 5th and 6th WR to work with.

ghz in pittsburgh
08-27-2015, 07:42 PM
I still remember EJ said after his benching last year that he's going to let it rip if he gets the chance again. This is his chance. Starting O-Line is in place so he's going to get his time in the pocket just like he would in regular season. There is really nothing to lose, just go down fighting.

The Jokeman
08-27-2015, 07:45 PM
You fail to mention the fact that the Bills are running a vanilla offense that is all of 2 pages long.

They're asking the QB's to go out there and make simple plays.

I think the Bills preseason goal is to show absolutely nothing besides basic plays.

The Bills have a strategic advantage this year that is unique in the NFL, and very rare.

Nobody knows who the quarterback will be, and no team has film on what the 2015 Buffalo Bills offense will be like once the season starts.

Gotta' give major props to Rex Ryan for NOT being the same old coach that follows what everyone else is doing.

By naming EJ Manuel the starting quarterback in the Bills 3rd preseason game he has effectively tossed the dress rehearsal script out of the window.

Refreshing.

More refreshing is we finally agree on something.

Night Train
08-27-2015, 07:49 PM
Each QB gets a start. That completes the fair chance all 3 received and then the decision cannot be viewed as slanted towards any of the candidates. Plus it keeps everyone guessing outside the locker room. They will all be here for the Detroit game.

I have to love all the different spins being created in this thread.

Fixxxer
08-27-2015, 08:35 PM
Hopefully this will be the death knell for his career.

great fan you are....

anyway

Glad for EJ, now he needs to take another step in the right direcion and produce behind the starting OL.

BillsImpossible
08-27-2015, 08:42 PM
EJ's Last Stand

This is it. Put up or shut up time.

"He didn't have the starting offense to work with."

Neither did Tyrod Taylor.

Yasgur's Farm
08-28-2015, 08:54 AM
Funny how all the chirpin' went silent.

Bill Cody
08-28-2015, 09:03 AM
EJ's Last Stand

Unless it isn't

feldspar
08-28-2015, 09:05 AM
We are in bigger trouble than I thought if the decision to start a quarterback is going to be based on one game, let alone a portion of a preseason game. I don't think that's the case, but I know that it had better not be.

Forward_Lateral
08-28-2015, 09:06 AM
EJ needs to use his legs to make plays more. You are what you are. Let it loose.

Jimkelly12203
08-28-2015, 09:37 AM
As this article points out, this is absolutely not an opportunity for EJ to win the starting job. I think Carrucci is dead on here and you'd have to be delusional to think otherwise. http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/08/28/vic-caruccis-3-thoughts-on-bills-qb-situation/

ghz in pittsburgh
08-28-2015, 09:40 AM
We are in bigger trouble than I thought if the decision to start a quarterback is going to be based on one game, let alone a portion of a preseason game. I don't think that's the case, but I know that it had better not be.

I don't know about that. I'm pretty sure they have a pretty good idea who they are leaning, if not outright decided as the starter. BUT I think none of the QBs, specifically Cassel and Tyrod, separated himself so far ahead of the others that it's a no brainer.

I've said it before that I saw EJ in Heinz field last preseason against Steelers (including sideline pass up and close) that I was NOT impressed by EJ at all this time last year. And generally we knew EJ, and for that matter, all of the Bills QBs last preseason had a crappy training camp, prompting them to sign Orton last minute before the season. Trust me, if we see it, the coaches and players see it too.

This year I felt different. Maybe the bar is low to begin with, but you can't deny that the QB situation is 100% better than last year. We have options. In my eyes, EJ improved. He is not where we want to be, but I felt he looked like an NFL QB at least 50% of the time thus far in preseason, compared to last year where he looked consistently bad in NFL preseason. If you ask me, I'd guess that sort of opened Rex and the other coaches' eyes a bit. Say what you want, but EJ is NOT Cassel; he's still an inexperienced young dude. He may not get many chances in regular season, so the coaches want to see if he can continue to improve in the current setting (not the past tape), with a better surrounding -- I just don't see anything wrong with that logic.

I heard some Buffalo radio that said they are afraid if EJ plays well Saturday would cause more division/problems for the team. That's just complete bull****. This is why Rex is a coach loved by his players everywhere - he keeps his words and give players a chance if they earn it. All those people who want to deny EJ's chance with 1st team is based on what he did in the 10 games he played 24 to 11 month ago in NFL, NOT what he earned this preseason.

Ed
08-28-2015, 10:12 AM
I think EJ starting this game is just Rex trying to show that he's being fair and giving everyone a shot like he said, but if all three are going to share pretty equal time with the starters then it doesn't really matter who starts. It's not like EJ is going to take all the first half snaps like a starter normally would in a 3rd preseason game. People are trying to build this up as some make or break moment for EJ's career, but realistically this is just another small piece of the overall evaluation. At this point it may not even matter how well EJ plays and he may only play a couple series.

sukie
08-28-2015, 10:21 AM
I think EJ starting this game is just Rex trying to show that he's being fair and giving everyone a shot like he said, but if all three are going to share pretty equal time with the starters then it doesn't really matter who starts. It's not like EJ is going to take all the first half snaps like a starter normally would in a 3rd preseason game. People are trying to build this up as some make or break moment for EJ's career, but realistically this is just another small piece of the overall evaluation. At this point it may not even matter how well EJ plays and he may only play a couple series.

I don't think Rex really cares what anyone thinks about fairness. I don't think he cares about perceptions either.

djjimkelly
08-28-2015, 10:39 AM
As this article points out, this is absolutely not an opportunity for EJ to win the starting job. I think Carrucci is dead on here and you'd have to be delusional to think otherwise. http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/08/28/vic-caruccis-3-thoughts-on-bills-qb-situation/

truly like vic says this has all been a bit unorthodox and i think the only conclusion we can draw is ..................

no one knows who is truly preferred and no one knows who is truly in the lead

ghz in pittsburgh
08-28-2015, 10:51 AM
truly like vic says this has all been a bit unorthodox and i think the only conclusion we can draw is ..................

no one knows who is truly preferred and no one knows who is truly in the lead

Really? There is a conclusion, hint, not a good one: we don't have an undisputed guy at that position.

Jry44
08-28-2015, 11:02 AM
This is weird. Real weird.

It's not weird at all. Three guys are competing for the job, and all three are getting a chance to start.

I'm not the type of fan that roots for one guy over the other. I just want one of them to be at least an average player at the position. I don't care which one it is. And you can't possibly assess that equally unless each get a shot at starting.

IlluminatusUIUC
08-28-2015, 11:13 AM
Considering the rather fluid nature of the battle and Rex outright stating he is going to hold off on the announcement as late as possible, I wouldn't be surprised to see one of these three play most of the 4th game as well.

ghz in pittsburgh
08-28-2015, 11:37 AM
I wouldn't be surprised to see one of these three play most of the 4th game as well.

I just have the feeling that EJ is that guy regardless how he does tomorrow.

So far through two preseason games, the Bills must be "showcase" EJ as he got most of the snaps (among the 3) with those developing players, 2nd and mostly 3rd stringers. In later part of the training camp, he's been assigned to work with the scouting team, again mostly those 3rd and 2nd stringers whereas Cassel and Tyrod is rotating with the 1st stringers. I'm curious to see what transpires tomorrow.

Novacane
08-28-2015, 11:50 AM
Funny how all the chirpin' went silent.

I hope he does well. Will you go silent if he doesn't? Doubt it.

Ed
08-28-2015, 12:14 PM
I don't think Rex really cares what anyone thinks about fairness. I don't think he cares about perceptions either.
He may not care what any of us think, but I'm sure he cares about what his players think.

Bill Cody
08-28-2015, 12:27 PM

Of course, why not? But somewhere there is a contingent that will be drinking a shot and doing double high fives for all negative EJ plays. Look for a high post count after the game from the usual suspects if EJ ****s the bed. And crickets if he doesn't.

Yasgur's Farm
08-28-2015, 12:42 PM
I hope he does well. Will you go silent if he doesn't? Doubt it.If EJ stinks it up, he's lost his opportunity... However, if he plays to the level he's played these last two games and scrimmage, he'll have earned the start vs Colts IMO.

Floor - He's produced the most of any other QB on the roster this preseason (3 TD's in scrimmage and 2 games).
Floor - He's had the better college stats of any of the 3.
Floor - He's had better NFL stats than Cassel has over the past 4 years. (TT has no NFL stats speak of).
Ceiling - He's improved quite a bit from his 1st 2 seasons which sets an upward trend.
Ceiling - He has the best arm.

ghz in pittsburgh
08-28-2015, 01:17 PM
If EJ stinks it up, he's lost his opportunity... However, if he plays to the level he's played these last two games and scrimmage, he'll have earned the start vs Colts IMO.

I don't go that far. I think most everyone from watching Tyrod and him on the same field last Thursday can't see Tyrod just seemed more comfortable, decisive, and natural in the pocket even taking into the consideration that EJ had to run for his life at the beginning. The best scenario for me is that he demonstrates to everyone that under a more normal pocket environment that the 1st team O-Line can give him, he can direct more consistent drives, especially 3rd down conversion which everyone Bills fan I know of has absolute no confidence at all with him.

Let's face it, since EJ has been more daring in letting the ball fly as he has done thus far in preseason games, I'm getting confident that the big plays will be there for him. But no coaches or players can live with his 3rd down conversion ability so far in his career. If he somehow gives us hints that he makes any stride in that area, I'd let him run the scout team this season until Dennis Thurman tells Rex "he's hard for us to stop on Thursdays"

The Jokeman
08-28-2015, 01:18 PM

I disagree Rex might come off as tough guy but everything I read says he's a player's coach. So I think he cares about the locker room and he stated that he wanted this to be a competition and thus far everyone agrees that no one has really stepped up to win the position yet and why he's giving EJ a chance. It may be a slim one but if EJ plays lights out against the Steelers 1s and Cassel and Tyrod struggle than he might have "earned to starting job" which most felt he needed to do. Now if EJ faulters and someone else steps up that that's no fault to Rex and he can name someone else the starter. Also it a bit of a head game for the Colts too. A wise move by Rex in a lot of ways. Kudos to him.

Turf
08-28-2015, 03:59 PM
There's no way EJ gets the number one spot. I think they want to see what they have in him. What I find really odd is Cassell. If he's your starter play him, get him some reps. Game two he doesn't play, game one two series, and what, two more series. How can you name him your stater? Don't you want to see him play? They must feel they need no further evaluation and are comfortable having him be the number one without seeing what he can do. For this reason I think Taylor gets the nod. Taylor made the throws last game, has the speed element, I mean EJ loooks like an Ostrich when he runs, and Taylor has the most upside. If he fails by game 5 you start Cassell.

djjimkelly
08-28-2015, 04:42 PM
There's no way EJ gets the number one spot. I think they want to see what they have in him. What I find really odd is Cassell. If he's your starter play him, get him some reps. Game two he doesn't play, game one two series, and what, two more series. How can you name him your stater? Don't you want to see him play? They must feel they need no further evaluation and are comfortable having him be the number one without seeing what he can do. For this reason I think Taylor gets the nod. Taylor made the throws last game, has the speed element, I mean EJ loooks like an Ostrich when he runs, and Taylor has the most upside. If he fails by game 5 you start Cassell.

not commenting on EJ or tyrod from this but.......

your reasoning should lead you to believe its for sure not cassel. which i think i agree. it wont be cassel

Turf
08-28-2015, 04:52 PM
not commenting on EJ or tyrod from this but.......

your reasoning should lead you to believe its for sure not cassel. which i think i agree. it wont be cassel

I typed that from my iPad which I hate using hence the lack of thought structure. But yeah, logically its not Cassell and that leaves Tyrod. I see no way EJ moves from 3 to 1.
On a humorous side note, I've been playing Madden, and our QB's I realized were worse than I thought. In fact EJ was rated the highest. After losing two games, I traded Clay for Manziel, straight up, like that would ever happen, and I've won the last three. Kind of a scary thought.

JoeMama
08-28-2015, 05:08 PM
I've been one of EJ's biggest critics since the moment we drafted him but I have to admit I'm very proud of his resiliency this preseason.

He looked wretched in OTAs.

He got off to an equally wretched start to begin training camp.

But he kept his head up and managed to overcome adversity and get better and better each consecutive week.

It shows a great deal of character and he deserves kudos for that.

A lot of guys would have gotten a poor attitude and digressed or flat out lost confidence. But EJ seems to be quietly playing like a man determined to remain in the mix.

I'm not saying this as someone who thinks he's going to start anytime soon. But I do think small victories deserve a pat on the back.

So I'm wishing the kid well tomorrow. He's earned some respect in my book.

IlluminatusUIUC
08-28-2015, 05:09 PM
I typed that from my iPad which I hate using hence the lack of thought structure. But yeah, logically its not Cassell and that leaves Tyrod. I see no way EJ moves from 3 to 1.
On a humorous side note, I've been playing Madden, and our QB's I realized were worse than I thought. In fact EJ was rated the highest. After losing two games, I traded Clay for Manziel, straight up, like that would ever happen, and I've won the last three. Kind of a scary thought.

Madden trades are the best. I The year we had TO, i traded him to the 49ers for Crabtree AND their first.

Ed
08-28-2015, 05:35 PM
I think Cassel is getting the least reps because ideally they don't want him to be the starter and there's not a whole lot they're going to learn about him from preseason games. The guy has like 80 regular season starts over an 11 year career. He is what he is. A mediocre vet qb that doesn't have any real strengths. This preseason should be all about seeing if Tyrod or EJ have the chance to bring anything more to the position.

Jimkelly12203
08-28-2015, 08:54 PM
I watched the 2nd pre-season game over again.

I saw that Tyrod did actually look past his first option on a few occasions. His performance was even more impressive to me the second time through.

And EJ actually did do a really good job. Our second string OL is positively terrible, but EJ did pretty well. He really does have some serious accuracy issues as i (and many others) have been apt to point out to the point of it making me nauseous. But overall EJ played real well.

ghz in pittsburgh
08-28-2015, 10:03 PM
If I remember correctly, I believe EJ had trouble directing proper protection in several Cleveland blitz 3rd Quarter, resulting guys coming in the middle free at him (this is preseason, no game planning on defense). So some of the onslaught was brought on by EJ himself.

Yasgur's Farm
08-29-2015, 06:40 AM
If I remember correctly, I believe EJ had trouble directing proper protection in several Cleveland blitz 3rd Quarter, resulting guys coming in the middle free at him (this is preseason, no game planning on defense). So some of the onslaught was brought on by EJ himself.That is a new low.

Night Train
08-29-2015, 07:23 AM
you'd have to be delusional to think otherwise.

That's half the posting here all year 'round.

Jimkelly12203
08-29-2015, 07:49 AM
If I remember correctly, I believe EJ had trouble directing proper protection in several Cleveland blitz 3rd Quarter, resulting guys coming in the middle free at him (this is preseason, no game planning on defense). So some of the onslaught was brought on by EJ himself.

I have no way of knowing this. But it wouldn't surprise me.

RGIII is getting crushed out there and it's not his OLs fault. I wouldn't be surprised if EJ had some of the same issues. But even if that is the case, he rebounded quite well after a very shaky first two possessions.

He just drives me nuts. He's everything you could ever want in a QB. Tall, strong, smart, good looking (for the ladies), charismatic, big arm... EVERYTHING! But then he throws ducks all over the place. Most of them are catchable. Few are ideal.

IN the end, wide open shots get missed and WRs get blown up too often for it to be viable. You can forget about being productive in the yards after the catch department because he's never going to hit a guy in stride (aside from by sheer luck of the draw).

But he's so painfully close to being a great QB it makes you want to scream!

Jimkelly12203
08-29-2015, 07:52 AM
That's half the posting here all year 'round.

I just assume everyone is super rational and has zero emotion about this crap. But that would be wrong. It would be a lot less interesting if people didn't think with their emotions though so its cool. Astonishing at times, but definitely cool.

The Jokeman
08-29-2015, 08:17 AM
But everyone's missing the biggest question, can EJ lip sync as good as this guy?

https://instagram.com/p/6sUtuAsmSn/

feldspar
08-29-2015, 10:53 AM
But everyone's missing the biggest question, can EJ lip sync as good as this guy?

https://instagram.com/p/6sUtuAsmSn/

Painful.

ghz in pittsburgh
08-29-2015, 12:59 PM
That is a new low.

The one quite obvious was his sack by a Browns DT who came untouched in the 3rd Quarter. The Browns showed blitz with a safety which resulted 7 on 6 (one unblocked). I remember EJ motioned RB to the edge help and Kouandijo looked back at EJ for a bit extended time. I would think you either change the play or set up such that you are ready to throw the ball (or move around to buy a bit time) before the DE gets there. I've never seen any QB does not direct someone in way of a DT allowing a clean shot.