PDA

View Full Version : Half Time Remarks on QB

ghz in pittsburgh
08-29-2015, 03:46 PM
Taylor probably still got one drive left in the 2nd half, but I gotta say I like him the best. Sure EJ led 2 TD drive in both of his series, but my eyes tell me Tyrod just looked more comfortable and decisive in the pocket. Again the "it" factor.

I wish EJ had more of a chance to show us how he would do in 3rd down situations, more of a typical NFL drive. But I'm really glad the kid sticks to his "let it fly" promise and really showed his big play arm with improved accuracy. At this time, you have to say he has a future in NFL.

Cassel? Well, he would be a good option for the Bills LAST year. Fortunately this year, looks like we have better options.

Scumbag College
08-29-2015, 03:56 PM
I really like what Tyrod did in his first drive. His first two passes were the most impressive. The 20 yarder to Goodwin was right on the money but the scramble and dump off to Mulligan was more impressive to me. The protection broke down and I thought Tyrod was going to take off running but he found Mulligan for a quick 6 yard dumpoff. Not a huge play, but it set up a short third down.

EJ had two throws that were both right on the money. I think the long TD was a blown coverage and it shows that Clay is an athlete by out running some DBs for the score. But you can't ask EJ to play any better than he did with the time he was allotted.

Cassel looked OK. Not spectacular and his outs took great catches by Davis and Easley for completions. The Easley PI was baloney and should be added to his body of work.

If I had to rank them after the first half

1a. Taylor
1b. EJ
3. Cassel

K-Gun
08-29-2015, 04:06 PM
so that's the qb competition. Taylor puts the exclamation mark on it.

ghz in pittsburgh
08-29-2015, 04:12 PM
Taylor didn't get all the Steelers 1st stringers in the last drive but I'm sold. Loved his comfort level in the pocket, something I've not seen for the Bills since Flutie years.

btw, I'm watching from the Steelers broadcast angle and Charlie Batch, part of Steelers broadcast crew, mentioned Tyrod a bunch about his time in Baltimore and is very impressed about him as well.

Time to pull the O-Line starters now, no need to risk injury.

WagonCircler
08-29-2015, 04:13 PM
Giving EJ credit for the first scoring drive is asinine.

ghz in pittsburgh
08-29-2015, 04:18 PM
Still no 3rd situation for EJ. Com'on!

That pass to Palmer gotta give him a boost. Just. give. your. guys. a. chance. Somewhere last year, I could almost hear Watkins etc. were screaming that to him.

djjimkelly
08-29-2015, 04:53 PM
Giving EJ credit for the first scoring drive is asinine.

the fact that even when the kid looks good you curse is asinine

you have an agenda no idea what it is but just asinine that even a 160 qb rating performance EJ sucks just crazy

TacklingDummy
08-29-2015, 04:55 PM
EJ has been the best QB during the pre season games, it's not even close.

EJ should be the starter week 1.

Yasgur's Farm
08-29-2015, 05:00 PM

EJ should be the starter week 1.I obviously agree... TT is very close though

MikeInRoch
08-29-2015, 05:21 PM

EJ should be the starter week 1.

Mostly against lesser competition.

ghz in pittsburgh
08-29-2015, 05:25 PM
I look at a little differently. TT is the best still.

The most encourage thing for me is EJ's improvement. Forget about improvement over last year. Just the improvement from pre-season game 1 to 2 to today. He's certainly closing in on TT.

cookie G
08-29-2015, 05:29 PM
The halftime remark I never thought I'd ever hear...(stated on NFLN)

~On both sides of the ball, the Bills' line beat up the Pittsburgh line

not "beat"
not "played better than"

Beat Up

The Jokeman
08-29-2015, 05:35 PM
The halftime remark I never thought I'd ever hear...(stated on NFLN)

~On both sides of the ball, the Bills' line beat up the Pittsburgh line

not "beat"
not "played better than"

Beat Up

So Rex did build a bully?

cookie G
08-29-2015, 05:41 PM
So Rex did build a bully?

The Dline has been beating people up for 2 years. And running through, over and around them.

This is new for the Oline...at least since the Gailey years.

Incognito had a much better game than last game.

And if nothing else...Kujo and Richardson can run block...

On the 1st play of the 2nd half, that 40 yard run was right between them. The hole was literally 5 yards wide. Richardson creamed his guy.

The Jokeman
08-29-2015, 05:46 PM
The Dline has been beating people up for 2 years. And running through, over and around them.

This is new for the Oline...at least since the Gailey years.

Incognito had a much better game than last game.

And if nothing else...Kujo and Richardson can run block...

On the 1st play of the 2nd half, that 40 yard run was right between them. The hole was literally 5 yards wide. Richardson creamed his guy.

Richardson as pass blocker worries me though. Granted he's probably last on the depth chart. I wonder if we try and bring in Dakota Dozier who's rumored to be not impressing the Jets. I say it because he's similar to Richardson in that he a G/T prospect but a little better in terms of an athlete.

djjimkelly
08-29-2015, 05:48 PM

he faced 1st teamers tonight and pulls a 158 rating. it was vs pitts starters their 2nd stringers too the kid looked great so did tyrod but enough is enough he did what was needed of him today 3 td drives ok one was all running but it counts as his drive none the less lets say i wont hold it against him for handing freddy ball and we wont say it was special

TacklingDummy
08-29-2015, 05:55 PM
he faced 1st teamers tonight and pulls a 158 rating. it was vs pitts starters their 2nd stringers too the kid looked great so did tyrod but enough is enough he did what was needed of him today 3 td drives ok one was all running but it counts as his drive none the less lets say i wont hold it against him for handing freddy ball and we wont say it was special
EJs offense has been putting points on the board.
Thats who I want running my offense.

MikeInRoch
08-29-2015, 05:56 PM
Yeah. No one else could have had that first scoring drive.

bdutton
08-29-2015, 07:28 PM
My impression is that Pittsburgh's defense sucked. Big. Pittsburgh will not be good at all this year.

That being said... with most of the starting WR/RB's out, our guys did a great job. EJ made a great case for being the starter as did Tyrod.

I think moving Simms to to the practice squad and trading or releasing Cassel is a viable option.

ghz in pittsburgh
08-29-2015, 08:29 PM
They are not going to get rid of Cassel. It's a hard lesson the Bills learned 2 years ago.

In terms of the Steelers, yah that's all they are talking about after the game, the defense. And mind you it is not just this game, it is every game. The Jags ran the ball on them, too.

They gave Tomlin an extension, and got rid of Lebeau so now Tomlin can run his cover 2 freely. Short on talent (on D) and in the midst of scheme change - bad combination.

justasportsfan
08-29-2015, 08:43 PM
That means nothing. Even if you're facing lesser talent, you're supporting cast is also lesser talent. It's a wash. As long as the QB is making the right reads,decisions and hitting his targets, who he's facing doesn't matter.

psubills62
08-29-2015, 09:19 PM
That means nothing. Even if you're facing lesser talent, you're supporting cast is also lesser talent. It's a wash. As long as the QB is making the right reads,decisions and hitting his targets, who he's facing doesn't matter.
It may not matter a lot, but it does matter. Playing against the first string D tends to mean you're playing against DB's who break on balls better, read QB's eyes better, etc. Skills that younger (i.e. new guys, often UDFA's fighting for a roster spot) don't necessarily have, and skills that aren't necessarily negated by having better WR's at your disposal.

There are times when guys like Fred Jackson do well against 3rd-4th stringers and it turns out they do well against starters too. But more often than not, it doesn't translate that way. I'm glad Manuel did well today, and I hope he continues to improve if he stays on the Bills. But consistency has always been his problem, and I don't think a good or even great preseason game changes that ... yet.