PDA

View Full Version : Cassel will start the regular season

TakingItuptheChin
08-29-2015, 06:23 PM
Don't base this preseason game on how exciting EJ and TT was on the field. I think the coaches will pick Cassel and I will be fine with that with TT #2 and EJ #3.

SeatownBillsFan21
08-29-2015, 06:30 PM
Maybe but TT should be the starting QB week one.

ublinkwescore
08-29-2015, 06:33 PM
are you mildly or full blown legally ******ed?

Night Train
08-29-2015, 06:36 PM
When your average completion is slightly more than 5 yards, you've embraced the memory of Trentative.

Cassel now looks like the #3 QB or a possible cut to me...but we'll know opening day. Rex said he's telling the QB's tomorrow who the starter is.

YardRat
08-29-2015, 06:38 PM
I've seen enough of Orton-Lite...with zero points on the board to show for it. Screw safe, I'll take my chances with Tyrod or EJ.

stuckincincy
08-29-2015, 06:44 PM
Maybe but TT should be the starting QB week one.

He threw accurately, crisply to the receivers. But PGH's mail-it-in defense allowing 30 completions in 33 attempts across 3 qbs wasn't what we wanted to see.

Goobylal
08-29-2015, 06:46 PM
I think you're wrong. And if Cassel starts, Ryan will have a fan revolt on his hands.

Novacane
08-29-2015, 07:37 PM
Like Tasker said on the broadcast. You better be really good on 3rd down because you'll have a lot of them if Matt Cassel is your QB. Just say no to Mr dink and dunk!

TakingItuptheChin
08-29-2015, 07:43 PM
Steelers did not even play defense today. Any QB can have the numbers EJ had if the defensive is not trying to beat you. Roman likes Cassel and I think he will do great with these talented squad just like in New England and Kansas City

Goobylal
08-29-2015, 07:54 PM
Steelers did not even play defense today. Any QB can have the numbers EJ had if the defensive is not trying to beat you. Roman likes Cassel and I think he will do great with these talented squad just like in New England and Kansas City
Pretty sad if the Steelers "did not even play defense today" and Cassel still put up that stinker. The reality though is, he's gone.

justasportsfan
08-29-2015, 08:01 PM
Like Tasker said on the broadcast. You better be really good on 3rd down because you'll have a lot of them if Matt Cassel is your QB. Just say no to Mr dink and dunk!

Dink and dunk or playing it safe might be what Roman wants until the O establishes the run first early in the season.

ghz in pittsburgh
08-29-2015, 08:21 PM
Unless Cassel and Roman worked secretly somewhere for 10 years that nobody knew of, I found it hard to believe that Roman will name him the starter having him played a total of 4 series or less preseason games where everyone else is new to this offense.

But strange things can happen. So I don't know.

It is true that by reporters count that Cassel had the most 1st team reps thus far. But again it is only the sessions open to reporters. Taylor himself seems to acknowledge that the QB competition is fair in regards to everything.

John_Dewey
08-29-2015, 08:42 PM
A guy with inside Sabres sources who calls Sabres trades before they are announced just posted this:

Patrick Kane will plead to misdemeanor.

Second inside scoop and take this also to the bank.
Taylor is starter
Manuel backup
Simms 3 rd string
Cassel will be cut

Not sure who his sources are claims to be good friends with Dominck Hasek among others but he has had some solid Sabres calls but never saw a Bills call before so take it with a grain of salt.

Oaf
08-29-2015, 08:43 PM
If Cassel starts, the comp was fixed from the start. If you believe Ryan was lying when he said it was an open comp, your theory has credence. Else, the job's Taylor's.

Fixxxer
08-29-2015, 08:44 PM
The team will riot if Ryan selects Cassel as the starting QB.

psubills62
08-29-2015, 09:06 PM
That would unfortunately be a very typical Bills move.

Jimkelly12203
08-29-2015, 09:14 PM
No one has been harder on EJ than me. I wanted him to play well tonight. He freaking killed it.

I do not think he should or will be the starter. But if it's between EJ and Cassel, sign me up for EJ.

I think TT is going to be named the starter tomorrow (internally) and i think EJ has earned the right to be the next guy up when (not if) TT gets hurt.

I also think we should keep Cassel because i honestly think we probably will need to use the 3rd string QB one or two weeks this season.

The good news for me is that they all look really good. REALLY good.

And this goes back to what i felt was the case going into this game. It's Greg Roman. Having a legitimate OC means everything. These guys are all talented. It's just nice to see a scheme that wasn't devised by Mickey Mouse for once. Chan was a good OC. Besides him who have we had that didn't suck ass? Kevin Kildrive? Yeah ok he was fine for the first 8 games of the Drew Bledsoe era. Then he sucked.

We have had a joke at OC 90% of the time since the glory years and Roman is probably the best one yet. It shows.

We need to keep all three of these QBs. Frankly, i'm not interested in trading EJ Manuel any more. If someone wants him, they should pay dearly for him. Because that dude might just make for a decent starter down the line.

Goobylal
08-29-2015, 09:42 PM
A guy with inside Sabres sources who calls Sabres trades before they are announced just posted this:

Patrick Kane will plead to misdemeanor.

Second inside scoop and take this also to the bank.
Taylor is starter
Manuel backup
Simms 3 rd string
Cassel will be cut

Not sure who his sources are claims to be good friends with Dominck Hasek among others but he has had some solid Sabres calls but never saw a Bills call before so take it with a grain of salt.
The Bills stuff is also what I heard from a guy named "Merlin" on the BB.com message board. Might be the same guy. And I believe him.

HHURRICANE
08-30-2015, 08:31 AM
Don't base this preseason game on how exciting EJ and TT was on the field. I think the coaches will pick Cassel and I will be fine with that with TT #2 and EJ #3.

Nobody should be ripping this thread because it's very possible. I hope it's Tyrod but it could easily be Cassel.

baalworship
08-30-2015, 10:55 AM
If Rex starts Cassel then the NY media will have been right about Rex being clueless with QB's.

Meathead
08-30-2015, 11:02 AM
buddy nix furiously working the phone to try to get a pick for cassel. get er done!

http://autonomoussource.com/mt-static/images/maxphone.jpg

swiper
08-30-2015, 11:06 AM
I think you're wrong. And if Cassel starts, Ryan will have a fan revolt on his hands.

Most of the Bills fans aren't that smart. Besides if they win, no one will care.

djjimkelly
08-30-2015, 12:46 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/8644/matt-cassel

even that year he won with new england his qbr sucked

anyone but cassel

feldspar
08-30-2015, 01:19 PM
I don't get the all-out sudden hatred for Matt Cassel here. Most Bills fans have seen him throw only 15 passes in a Bills uniform in two preseason games. He completed 13 of them, one was dropped, and the other incompletion was tipped. He only attempted mostly short throws...nothing fancy, nothing bordering on spectacular. Too boring? Dunno what people were expecting from the beginning when the majority seemed to consider him the favorite to be the starter, but his performance here is kind of what I was actually kind of hoping for from him. Game management. No mistakes.

All three QBs played pretty well, including Cassel. But the sample size is very small from what the fans have seen, and there is a hell of a lot more than just these three preseason games that goes into the decision on who to start.

I won't revolt if Cassel is named the starter. I'll roll with WHOEVER is named the starter.

Goobylal
08-30-2015, 01:50 PM
I don't get the all-out sudden hatred for Matt Cassel here. Most Bills fans have seen him throw only 15 passes in a Bills uniform in two preseason games. He completed 13 of them, one was dropped, and the other incompletion was tipped. He only attempted mostly short throws...nothing fancy, nothing bordering on spectacular. Too boring? Dunno what people were expecting from the beginning when the majority seemed to consider him the favorite to be the starter, but his performance here is kind of what I was actually kind of hoping for from him. Game management. No mistakes.

All three QBs played pretty well, including Cassel. But the sample size is very small from what the fans have seen, and there is a hell of a lot more than just these three preseason games that goes into the decision on who to start.

I won't revolt if Cassel is named the starter. I'll roll with WHOEVER is named the starter.
I don't hate Matt Cassel personally. I just don't think he's a good QB. I guess you could say I hate the way he's played and has been injured 3 of the past 4 years, yet despite this he's somehow in the running for the starting QB of my team.

TakingItuptheChin
08-30-2015, 03:10 PM
Cassel is by far the most consistent of the 3. Starting EJ will be beyond moronic, This guy has not improved and don't be fooled by his "exciting " performance against the Steelers. He will make the same moronic mistakes like he usually does because defenses will be playing lights out in the regular season. And starting Taylor is also stupid. He will get injured because of his size and style of play. He is not going to last a whole season. So the smart choice will be Cassel for the starting QB.

K-Gun
08-30-2015, 03:50 PM
Cassel is by far the most consistent of the 3. Starting EJ will be beyond moronic, This guy has not improved and don't be fooled by his "exciting " performance against the Steelers. He will make the same moronic mistakes like he usually does because defenses will be playing lights out in the regular season. And starting Taylor is also stupid. He will get injured because of his size and style of play. He is not going to last a whole season. So the smart choice will be Cassel for the starting QB.

Yes, because Cassel has a stellar record of avoiding injuries. That's a lame argument.

ublinkwescore
08-30-2015, 04:06 PM
That would unfortunately be a very typical Bills move.

this isn't your granny's bills any more good sir!!!

ublinkwescore
08-30-2015, 04:11 PM

consistent at being weak to mediocre at best isn't what this team needs. give me the guys who can make some big plays but will turn in the occasional bad plays too. all of them have better td-int ratios except for Tyrod, but he gets a pass because he still leads td drives too.

justasportsfan
08-30-2015, 04:18 PM
I'm OK with Cassel starting as long as it's because Roman and co. want him to If it's Rexy forcing him down every ones throat then, no. I don't want Rex making O decisions.

Yasgur's Farm
08-30-2015, 04:37 PM
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?seasonType=PRE&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=PASSING_PASSER_RATING&tabSeq=0&season=2015&Submit=Go&experience=&archive=false&conference=null&statisticCategory=PASSING&qualified=false

Check out 49th

Goobylal
08-30-2015, 05:09 PM
Cassel sucks. A couple good seasons over 4 years ago means nothing. Might as well bring back Jim Kelly for all the good past glories get you today. And beyond sucking, he's injury-prone. He should be and will be cut.

ublinkwescore
08-30-2015, 05:11 PM
I think someone forgot to take their meds... or they didn't. can't tell any more nowadays...

feldspar
08-30-2015, 05:32 PM
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?seasonType=PRE&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=PASSING_PASSER_RATING&tabSeq=0&season=2015&Submit=Go&experience=&archive=false&conference=null&statisticCategory=PASSING&qualified=false

Check out 49th

What's your point?

Are you saying that Matt Cassel is better than Aaron Rodgers, who is 56th?

Are you saying that there are 104 quarterbacks better than Tom Brady, who is 105th? If so, maybe it has something to do with not playing with deflated balls...

Russell Wilson is 77th, and Peyton Manning is 83rd.

So again, what is your point by posting these stats?

Yasgur's Farm
08-30-2015, 05:46 PM
EJ is 5th
TT is 30th
Bubbye Cassel

emoulds80
08-30-2015, 05:51 PM
they are not cutting cassel, hes veteran insurance on a roster that is loaded. hopefully tt or ej can be the guy, if not we need an experienced vet to take us as far as possible...

feldspar
08-30-2015, 05:57 PM
EJ is 5th
TT is 30th
Bubbye Cassel

You really don't realize how stupid stupid of a conclusion that is to draw based on those stats, do you?

sudzy
08-30-2015, 06:08 PM
What's your point?

Are you saying that Matt Cassel is better than Aaron Rodgers, who is 56th?

Are you saying that there are 104 quarterbacks better than Tom Brady, who is 105th? If so, maybe it has something to do with not playing with deflated balls...

Russell Wilson is 77th, and Peyton Manning is 83rd.

So again, what is your point by posting these stats?

Yes, that is what YF is saying, because he can spin it so his guy can start. If EJ was the 104th QB, then the preseason would mean nothing. It's what you do when you have an agenda.

sudzy
08-30-2015, 06:11 PM
Matt Simms ranks higher then Rodgers. Let call and see if they are willing to trade for an "upgrade"

BuffaloRedleg
08-30-2015, 09:54 PM
Starting Cassel would be one of the stupidest things I can imagine the Bills doing in a while. And that says a lot.

Even the idea of it makes me angry and absolutely would destroy any good will I have towards this coaching staff.

What the hell more could TT/EJ have done? They have both been outstanding, while Cassel has been fine.

Fine is not good enough and I expect more now. Is our goal to hope to fall into the playoffs? That's what you get with Cassel. At least with TT/EJ there is an upside that could possibly take us further and be an actual elite team. I know with Cassel we won't win a SB. That is a stone cold fact.

Cassel should be released and we roll with TT with EJ backup. Enough of this team accepting mediocrity at the QB position.

PromoTheRobot
08-30-2015, 10:09 PM
Cassel, the one QB on the team who can best mimic the last 10 years of Bills QB play. Who wouldn't start him?

notacon
08-31-2015, 08:07 AM

I don't think there is any "hatred" for Cassel. It's the type of offensive philosophy he represents that most Bills fans are sick and tired of. We've seen this with Orton and Trent Edwards just to name the worst two. "Check down" football is not only incredibly boring...it almost assures losing at least half of the games. Period.

Many though he would be the starter when he first came here because no one has ever seen Tyrod play in the NFL. Complete unknown. Most are still pissed at EJ (THAT is where the true "hatred" is...unjustifiably. "Hate" the way he was non-developed. "Hate" the way Morrone had zero idea how to play calls for him. "Hate" the inevitable rookie learning curve). No one thought that EJ could improve...but he HAS improved. Remarkable so.

I won't "revolt" if Cassel is named starter....but....I probably won't like it very much, unless we start winning. Certainly I am going to give Rex a wide berth to install the systems he wants to install. He's not insensitive to what is important in Buffalo, and he needs to be given the room to do what he thinks best.

This is an incredibly idiotic post.

No, Cassel is not "by far the most consistent of the 3"...just look at the stats.

No, EJ has NOT "not improved and don't be fooled by his "exciting " performance against the Steelers." Only a blind man would say something so stupid.

No, Tyrod...."He will get injured because of his size and style of play. He is not going to last a whole season" is not even a semi-good reason for not starting him. What maters is how he plays and NOT the expectation that he will get injured. So what if he does? Your beloved, boring Cassel could come in and save the day!!

Jesus.

Although I do agree that it may be more likely that Rex decides on Cassel over the other two, it's not a slam dunk, and it's not based on the crap you are tying to dish out. Why do Bills fans have to hate on players??

In my opinion, Rex is more likely to go with Cassel because it's the conservative choice, and the most predictable. I would say it's a 40% probability it's Cassel...30% Tyrod and 30% EJ.

Although Tyrod's style of play is attractive to us fans, it probably won't be feasible when the regular season starts and coaches get serious and game plan against him. EJ has some experience, but his development was shaky at best (I think it was abysmally poor) and it will not hurt EJ to sit some and wait for his chance.

Cassel is slow and steady and this is what Rex may want to start the season. But, I don't expect to see just one QB the whole year. Whether by injury or lackluster play it would not surprise me that each of these three get several starts each.

In the end, none of these three are even close to being a franchise answer. Cassel is what he is....another Orton who has experience but is not quality NFL starter material.

Tyrod was a sixth round pick and the chances of a sixth round pick astounding every coach and scout in the NFL to rise to a star is very, very rare. We just have not seen his weakness yet...the regular season will being those out.

EJ has been inconsistent in his 14 starts....but, that's not much in the NFL. He has the physical attributes....the strong arm. His accuracy is greatly improved. What is an unknown is if his decision skills are improved and if he can stop the bonehead stuff. Certainly, we are all wanting, desperately, the "franchise" QB answer. It's more unlikely than likely we have that guy on our roster now.

The bigger unknown is that a real coaching staff and a REAL NFL coach is at the helm in Buffalo. We have not seen this kind of quality coaching since Chuck Knox. No, Marv Levy was a pretty good coach, bit not near the elite level of all the coaches he lost Super Bowls to.

Rex Ryan could be an elite head coach and the Bills is where he can prove it. The backing of new ownership makes that possible.

For the first time in a long time I can say that I trust him to make the right decisions...especially in the Bill's biggest weakness for 20 years....QB.

gebobs
08-31-2015, 09:35 AM
Let's review his performance this preseason.

Against Carolina, two drives, one first down each, a couple false starts on the second set proved too much. Results: punt, missed FG.

Against Pittsburgh, two drives, no first downs on one and three on another, all converted thirds, both drives stopped by a penalty. Results: punt, missed FG.

Better be perfect and don't ask him to try to get more than 10 yds on any set of downs or the drive will probably fail.

Night Train
09-05-2015, 05:51 PM
Good call, lemming.

ct bills fan
09-05-2015, 06:00 PM
Cassel will start the regular season .........as 3rd string on a team other than Buffalo

TakingItuptheChin
09-05-2015, 10:37 PM
Welp.
At least I'm not the only idiot here that predicted Cassel would start. LOL.