PDA

View Full Version : I have a serious concern about the D

Jimkelly12203
08-29-2015, 11:23 PM
I fear that Rex's brilliant DB driven defense might just be too much for our personnel. It's unfair to put the rookie on an island and with McKelvin out and Gilmore possibly hurt... YIKES!

Now i know they put a lot on the guys in these games to test them in the context of a meaningless game. And I know it is not in Rex's nature to play vanilla, but i think rushing four men and dropping the rest back (ala Schwartz) is the play. Now, obviously you have to mix **** up. But i don't think we should be too exotic and i'm afraid that we're going to be. It's going to lead to big plays for the opposing offense just as often as it's going to lead to big sacks and turn-overs to our benefit.

I believe that Rex is the ideal HC and the guy i want for this team, but i'd like for him to tamper **** down this year and play it a little vanilla on D. We can win that way. Why bet the farm?

We have a lot to lose if he lets his ego get to him with the defensive scheme. This team can win on talent alone. Scheme is great, but if you're going to ask a depleted and inexperienced secondary to perform miracles, you sleep in the bed you made for yourself.

There's no such thing as a bad Rex Ryan defense. Especially with the talent this team has. But is anyone going to argue that the Schwartz method isn't a better fit for this year under these circumstances? I think we should save the blitz-happy nonsense for future years when the DL is weaker and the DBs are stronger.

It's a concern in my view.

Oaf
08-30-2015, 01:02 AM
Agreed here.

ParanoidAndroid
08-30-2015, 02:31 AM
I think it's plain to see that Darby cannot be left one-on-one every single play like that. I guarantee the Bills pick a CB in the 1st next year unless McKelvin comes back and goes lights out and Gilmore learns to get his head around.

YardRat
08-30-2015, 03:10 AM
Part of the beauty of Schwartz's philosophy and scheme was it's simplicity, lining up the talent and letting them play.

ICRockets
08-30-2015, 04:56 AM
I think we're showing VERY little of our defense in the preseason. I'm not worried at all.

sudzy
08-30-2015, 05:17 AM
The starters did look shaky last night. Not sure we have the CBs to play Rex's all out blitz defense. And with all the talent I'm not sure we have to. Maybe Rex should dial it back a little and play closer to what Schwartz did. Who would have thought the offense would have out played the defense last night?

swiper
08-30-2015, 05:19 AM
I think there's been a lot of ongoing player evaluation going on. I think they know who can do what by now. I think they'll be ok. Some won't like it, but they really need to get McKelvin back.

justasportsfan
08-30-2015, 05:43 AM
no gameplanning going on. Almost sure they wont be leaving Darby in an island in regular games

Jry44
08-30-2015, 06:03 AM
Rex has been throwing Darby to the wolves all preseason to prepare him. This was the most talented receiving group Darby has seen thus far, so it was a great game for him to learn from. I think you'll see him get some help once the season starts and he won't be left out on an island.

k-oneputt
08-30-2015, 06:47 AM
Of course Darby is going to get help.
Gilmore on the other hand.... will be the one on the island.

YardRat
08-30-2015, 07:04 AM
no gameplanning going on. Almost sure they wont be leaving Darby in an island in regular games

I'm not sure about that in this case. One of the players made a comment yesterday (I think it was Cassel in the post-game presser) about the last two days of practice being 'all about Pittsburgh'.

YardRat
08-30-2015, 07:05 AM
Of course Darby is going to get help.
Gilmore on the other hand.... will be the one on the island.

Hopefully the 'help' isn't reverting back to Pettine's 'play the corners 10 yards off the line of scrimmage', which Darby actually was a few times last night.

k-oneputt
08-30-2015, 07:07 AM
safety over the top.

djjimkelly
08-30-2015, 07:08 AM

the postive is at least after last night that shouldnt be a thought by the coaches

k-oneputt
08-30-2015, 07:11 AM
Rex has been testing Darby all preseason to see how far along he is.
He is not leaving him out there like that against the Colts.

HHURRICANE
08-30-2015, 08:34 AM
Rex has been testing Darby all preseason to see how far along he is.
He is not leaving him out there like that against the Colts.

I'm hoping he's leaving him off the field. They are going to reshuffle the secondary. Mark my words.

Jry44
08-30-2015, 09:24 AM
I'm hoping he's leaving him off the field. They are going to reshuffle the secondary. Mark my words.

And replace him with who?

K-Gun
08-30-2015, 10:06 AM
Part of the beauty of Schwartz's philosophy and scheme was it's simplicity, lining up the talent and letting them play.

Definitely. Preston Brown was interviewed during camp and he mentioned that the main difference is that now he has to sit back and make a read as to which hole to plug. Whereas under Schwartz there was no thinking involved. They had their gap and just nailed it. That comment made me worry about our young LBS hesitating, and leading to a less effective run defense because of the added complexity.

K-Gun
08-30-2015, 10:07 AM
Definitely. Preston Brown was interviewed during camp and he mentioned that the main difference is that now he has to sit back and make a read as to which hole to plug. Whereas under Schwartz there was no thinking involved. They had their gap and just nailed it. That comment made me worry about our young LBS hesitating, and leading to a less effective run defense because of the added complexity.

Although it has been encouraging to see 4 DL on the field most snaps. the DL and depth on the DL is the strength of this team. It would be stupid to try and run 4 LBS and take our strength off the field.

Skooby
08-30-2015, 10:15 AM
I think we're showing VERY little of our defense in the preseason. I'm not worried at all.

This. We're just not planning at all to stop the other teams, hiding most of what's to come. The Colts are going to get smothered, then it's off to molest Brady.

baalworship
08-30-2015, 10:52 AM
The Colts should make anyone worried as they have Luck and a plethora of talented receivers. I do think our Dline will get to Luck.

Jry44
08-30-2015, 11:23 AM
The Colts should make anyone worried as they have Luck and a plethora of talented receivers. I do think our Dline will get to Luck.

The Colts have a horrendous offensive line. They will get to Andrew Luck.

don137
08-30-2015, 12:13 PM
I think Ryan is letting Darby learn from his mistakes by throwing him to the wolves in preseason. In addition, I think he is baiting offensive coordinators to throw Darby's way. Darby will have safety help once regular season comes and you will see a few picks from Darby and/or a safety when QBs throw his way. With that said I do wish I saw better results out of Darby.

justasportsfan
08-31-2015, 08:54 AM
Bills head coach Rex Ryan wasn’t overly concerned about his team’s pass defense against Pittsburgh Saturday. While he wasn’t thrilled that they gave up big plays he said going into the game he purposely challenged them on the back end with play calls and a lack of blitzing.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2015/08/30/rex-i-challenged-our-defense-on-purpose/

Does this mean that we won't get to the qb if we don't blitz?

I really hope I won't miss Schwartz who had this team THE BEST 3rd down D in the league in 1 season.

Victor7
08-31-2015, 09:12 AM
Our secondary is for sure something to worry about. They don't look all that great and have you guys taken a peek at our depth ?? We are an injury or two away from playing an absolute disaster as a starter.