PDA

View Full Version : Not a big fan of starting Tyrod

X-Era
08-31-2015, 04:30 PM
Why?

We have one of the best young WR threats in Sammy Watkins, a rock solid WR in Robert Woods, a playmaking downfield threat in Percy Harvin, and you signed a receiving TE threat to a monster contract in Charles Clay...

Yet we're starting a QB who doesn't throw downfield and hasn't thrown a TD in the NFL ever?

Dink and dunk won't win games. Points do. Run heavy? sure. But defenses simply stack the box.

If you want a legit playoff contender you have to be able to score through the air as well. I don't need Tyrod to be a stud passer. But he has to show he can at least throw to our WR weapons in the intermediate to long routes and throw TD's in the red zone.

This move potentially makes our offense one dimensional, limited in the pass game, and possibly easier to defend against.

I hope to hell he throws well and averages 2 TD's a game. I'm rooting for him but this move seems risky to me.

Novacane
08-31-2015, 04:32 PM
So who would you have started? If you say Cassel after saying dink and dunk won't win games I'm gonna have to smack you!

Goobylal
08-31-2015, 04:35 PM
TT will just moves the chains until the redzone and then run them all in.

X-Era
08-31-2015, 04:37 PM
So who would you have started? If you say Cassel after saying dink and dunk won't win games I'm gonna have to smack you!
Probably EJ. Not because I'm an EJ lover; I'm not. But because he showed us he can throw TD's and pass downfield. Is he great? Not even close. But he at least showed progress.

I honestly have no data to pull from with Tyrod. I dont know if defenses will respect our passing game. My guess is that they will send heavy pressure and stack the box. And Tyrod hasn't shown me that he can throw his way to a win.

You can't run the ball every single game. Not going to happen. We have to be able to throw to wins sometimes. I just haven't seen that from Tyrod.

The Jokeman
08-31-2015, 04:38 PM
Why?

We have one of the best young WR threats in Sammy Watkins, a rock solid WR in Robert Woods, a playmaking downfield threat in Percy Harvin, and you signed a receiving TE threat to a monster contract in Charles Clay...

Yet we're starting a QB who doesn't throw downfield and hasn't thrown a TD in the NFL ever?

Dink and dunk won't win games. Points do. Run heavy? sure. But defenses simply stack the box.

If you want a legit playoff contender you have to be able to score through the air as well. I don't need Tyrod to be a stud passer. But he has to show he can at least throw to our WR weapons in the intermediate to long routes and throw TD's in the red zone.

This move potentially makes our offense one dimensional, limited in the pass game, and possibly easier to defend against.

I hope to hell he throws well and averages 2 TD's a game. I'm rooting for him but this move seems risky to me.

No doubt he's a risk, I just hope Rex keeps him on a short chain unlike what he did in NY with Sanchez/Geno.

cookie G
08-31-2015, 05:21 PM
the lack of throwing TD's doesn't worry me, at least not right now..

For example, on his 1st TD drive, it was almost all passing. He took them down to the 7 and they ran it in. I don't really care how the ball gets in teh endzone, as long as it gets there. He's been producing TD drives when he's on the field.

As far as getting the ball to his playmakers...he seems to have a knack for finding the receiver with separation and who is on the move..and he is hitting him in stride. If he plays like that, there are going to be opportinities for YAC.

Oaf
08-31-2015, 05:36 PM
Guy has a live arm, laser-sharp accuracy (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000513811/Taylor-drops-a-dime-to-Thompson), and hasn't made the big mistake yet. What else would you want?

It's not like EJ has established himself as a deep ball QB anyway, though he's improved this year.

YardRat
08-31-2015, 05:38 PM
If I had confidence at all that EJ could continue to play like he has so far (I'll take one unbelievably bad bounce pass per game in trade for a QBR of 146 and >1 TD per game any Sunday, every Sunday) I'd be there also...but I don't.

Taylor is not only going to have to start looking downfield, but eventually he's going to have to start hitting those consistently, otherwise he's simply Cassel with wheels.

It's not like most NFL defenses don't know how to keep a runner in the pocket.

sudzy
08-31-2015, 05:45 PM
That's funny because I a huge fan of EJ on the bench

djjimkelly
08-31-2015, 05:47 PM
No doubt he's a risk, I just hope Rex keeps him on a short chain unlike what he did in NY with Sanchez/Geno.

i agree and who is your relief pitcher for tyrod? EJ i hope

The Jokeman
08-31-2015, 05:52 PM
the lack of throwing TD's doesn't worry me, at least not right now..

For example, on his 1st TD drive, it was almost all passing. He took them down to the 7 and they ran it in. I don't really care how the ball gets in teh endzone, as long as it gets there. He's been producing TD drives when he's on the field.

As far as getting the ball to his playmakers...he seems to have a knack for finding the receiver with separation and who is on the move..and he is hitting him in stride. If he plays like that, there are going to be opportinities for YAC.

But can he throw over the top of a defense in the middle of the field or throw a long pass that isn't down the sidelines? That's one thing EJ did demonstrate he could do albeit it was against backups except in the Steelers game. Also am worried that Tyrod didn't complete many passes inside the twenty. Little things I picked up on that worry me. As if Tyrod can fit the ball in tight windows inside the twenty teams will gear up to stop the run and maybe lead us to get 3 points vs 7 which ultimately impacts a game. I'll let Tyrod prove me wrong as he did enough against Pittsburgh that he should be starting but it doesn't mean am still not worried by some of his limitations.

The Jokeman
08-31-2015, 05:55 PM
i agree and who is your relief pitcher for tyrod? EJ i hope

EJ to me is the most complete QB we have on the roster so yeah he's my 2nd string QB.

DynaPaul
08-31-2015, 06:21 PM
None of these guys are good downfield but Tyrod is at least explosive everywhere else.

justasportsfan
08-31-2015, 06:25 PM
How does anyone know that Tyrod is dink or dunk or the next Brett Favre when hes.never played in regular season?

The Jokeman
08-31-2015, 07:35 PM
How does anyone know that Tyrod is dink or dunk or the next Brett Favre when hes.never played in regular season?

He did play in the regular season and it was ugly and prior to this preseason most of his preseasons were non memorable. I posted it before but RJ has more NFL experience than Tyrod came coming in and played a whole lot better in the preseason. I'm hoping Tyrod proves the exception and not the rule but think he might be on the bench by Week 3 if we're not at least 1-1.

psubills62
08-31-2015, 07:46 PM
I'm fine with it. Will see what happens when he has a few games under his belt.

Skooby
08-31-2015, 08:07 PM
I'm not sure if you watched the games but we really didn't game plan that much and basically killed our opponent's defenses. TT put the Bills in a position to score on almost every drive and the O-line gave him time, so where any of this negative stuff is coming from is beyond me.

EJ / TT have basically the best combined QBR ratings in the league, don't know what else you need to see we're better than advertised right now on offense.

justasportsfan
08-31-2015, 08:15 PM
He did play in the regular season and it was ugly and prior to this preseason most of his preseasons were non memorable. I posted it before but RJ has more NFL experience than Tyrod came coming in and played a whole lot better in the preseason. I'm hoping Tyrod proves the exception and not the rule but think he might be on the bench by Week 3 if we're not at least 1-1.
You think his body of work or lack thereof is enough to know what kind of qb he is?

Trentative Edwards or Rob Johnson weren't dink and dunk qbs after even after 10 games. That's more experience than what Tyrod has and yet no one knew what kind of qbs they'd turn out to be after 10 games. EJ was a scared qb last year who looked like he was on the way to being the next trent/Robosack and didn't look it this year.

My point is that there isn't enough data to know that Tyrod will dink and dunk or be a gunslinger.

sahlensguy
08-31-2015, 08:19 PM
Guy has a live arm, laser-sharp accuracy (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000513811/Taylor-drops-a-dime-to-Thompson), and hasn't made the big mistake yet. What else would you want?

It's not like EJ has established himself as a deep ball QB anyway, though he's improved this year.

Nice clip. The memories of EJ throwing that pass out of bounds still haunt me.

PromoTheRobot
08-31-2015, 08:28 PM
Why?

Just curious: were you really, really drunk during preseason games? I saw Taylor nail all kinds of throws downfield. It was Matt Cassell who struggled to get the ball past the line of scrimmage.

Mace
08-31-2015, 08:32 PM
Why?

I understand what you're saying, but this is what they intended to do in Hiring Ryan/Roman, getting Incognito, drafting Miller, signing Felton and trading for McCoy, adding Mulligan, drafting Karlos Williams and Ryan saying we're going to run 50 times a game if we can.

You can't really fault Taylor, Cassel, Manuel or even Simms for being running game QB's not intended to pass much.

Taylor is at least not crazylegs take off type, has some pocket discipline and ability to ready defenses, looks relatively accurate when he does pass, and, sadly, adds a dimension to the beloved running game.

He'll surely get concussed and we'll be sorry but at least we took the most dynamic maybe who won't do well, but might make people excited a while thinking we got a bargain Russell Wilson.

Meathead
08-31-2015, 08:41 PM
preseason is meaningless but ty and ej had close to perfect preseasons so far. ty was shooting lasers but manuel was the flaming torrent of productivity. if i made up their numbers beforehand you would say no freakin way. you literally almost couldnt ask for better

tyvm matt for trying out but we are moving in another direction. heres another hat and banner, theres the exit, you dont have to go home but you cant stay here. shoo. you go way now

Mace
08-31-2015, 08:58 PM
preseason is meaningless but ty and ej had close to perfect preseasons so far. ty was shooting lasers but manuel was the flaming torrent of productivity. if i made up their numbers beforehand you would say no freakin way. you literally almost couldnt ask for better

tyvm matt for trying out but we are moving in another direction. heres another hat and banner, theres the exit, you dont have to go home but you cant stay here. shoo. you go way now

I dunno, I've been a big Manuel booster of maybe but he still looked one play on, three plays iffy to me. He made some good throws against scrubs, and looked uncertain against some scrubs too, I don't know that ends well in regular season without a bunch of accurate 3 yard panic dumpoffs or getting a receiver damaged with an ill timed throw behind him too many times, and again, I like Manuel.

Cleve
08-31-2015, 09:47 PM
Sixth round draft pick by Baltimore. Minimal regular season stats to date despite 4 years with the Ravens, and what there is isn't all that pretty (199 yards, 47.2 rating).

So how many other NFL teams have acquired a backup QB from another team, said team not really interested in keeping him, and then molded him into a playoff game winning machine?

SeatownBillsFan21
08-31-2015, 09:56 PM
he hasn't even started a game yet besides but once in the preseason.

i liked what i saw when he was out there i think he won the job and im

excited to see what he can do week one.

BertSquirtgum
08-31-2015, 11:51 PM
Why?

So, you're not a fan of winning?

Oaf
09-01-2015, 12:00 AM
So how many other NFL teams have acquired a backup QB from another team, said team not really interested in keeping him, and then molded him into a playoff game winning machine?

Rob Johnson? Drew Bledsoe? :ontome:

Albany,n.y.
09-01-2015, 12:43 AM
Sixth round draft pick by Baltimore. Minimal regular season stats to date despite 4 years with the Ravens, and what there is isn't all that pretty (199 yards, 47.2 rating).

You can't keep a backup QB after his rookie contract is up, so your "said team not really interested in keeping him" is total nonsense. Denver & the Bills both wanted Tyrod.
For the record, HOFers Brett Favre & Steve Young were backups acquired from another team. Drew Brees was a UFA who went from SD to NO, as did Peyton Manning from Ind to Den. Jim Plunkett went from the scrap heap to Super Bowl winning QB, and Kurt Warner bounced around before & after winning the Super Bowl & led Arizona to another one & just missed winning it. Had enough, or do I need to add Doug Williams coming off the bench & leading Washington to a championship.

IlluminatusUIUC
09-01-2015, 01:03 AM

The last playoff game I can see won by a QB that was previously a different team's backup is from 2012: Houston (Matt Schaub) over Cincinnati.

swiper
09-01-2015, 03:24 AM

None?

Yet how many times have the Bills tried it? Holcolmb, Nall, T. Jackson, Kolb, etc, etc, etc.... OBD never learns.

Russ Brandon is still the common thread to all this craptastic QBing.

trapezeus
09-01-2015, 08:27 AM
Probably EJ. Not because I'm an EJ lover; I'm not. But because he showed us he can throw TD's and pass downfield. Is he great? Not even close. But he at least showed progress.

I honestly have no data to pull from with Tyrod. I dont know if defenses will respect our passing game. My guess is that they will send heavy pressure and stack the box. And Tyrod hasn't shown me that he can throw his way to a win.

You can't run the ball every single game. Not going to happen. We have to be able to throw to wins sometimes. I just haven't seen that from Tyrod.

tyrod has a small sample size. of that, he has converted a lot of third downs. something few bills offenses hvae done with consistency the last 10 years or so.

i'm not sure what more tyrod can do to make you feel like he can open the middle of the intermediate range given his body of work.

obviously, regular season is different than preseason, but you can only make decisions off of the information you have.

TacklingDummy
09-01-2015, 08:32 AM
I understand what you're saying, but this is what they intended to do in Hiring Ryan/Roman, getting Incognito, drafting Miller, signing Felton and trading for McCoy, adding Mulligan, drafting Karlos Williams and Ryan saying we're going to run 50 times a game if we can.

It's a passing league. Lets run the ball 50 times a game. Makes perfect sense unless you are down by 10.

Bill Cody
09-01-2015, 08:41 AM
If you're going to give Tierod the job he needs a fair amount of rope to make some mistakes and yes lose some games. Because guess what he's going to need it, he's basically a rookie. My feeling is he gets until after week 7. If it isn't working by then, you go to the bullpen. For me that would be Manuel.

justasportsfan
09-01-2015, 09:01 AM
No one knows if he's the next Kurt Warner , Rob Johnson or the next Flutie in terms of bringing in a back-up from another team . No one can tell since he's been behind Flacco all these years.

Victor7
09-01-2015, 09:19 AM
I'm not the biggest Taylor fan either but I think he has at least earned the benefit of the doubt with his performance in the preseason. Sure it was preseason and we've had QB's tear it up before there only to fail miserably when the real thing starts (Trent). But hey, the preseason and training camp is all we have right now to evaluate these guys.
I'm optimistic but with measure. For all I know Taylor is a rookie in terms of regular season and could go out there and suck big time. But at least I dont' feel as down as I felt last year when EJ was the starter. You just knew that was going nowhere. Whatever happens I'm sure Taylor's leash won't be that long. If the rumors are true that Roman wanted Cassel he'll push hard to replace Taylor if he struggles.

Night Train
09-01-2015, 09:43 AM
Can't wait for the opener.

They chose the right guy and this team has talent.

Generalissimus Gibby
09-01-2015, 03:13 PM
On the one hand I am not overly impressed by any of the lumps of crap this team is calling a QB. On the other hand, Taylor earned this shot and honestly, and I know how very little weight we should place on the preseason but my QB rotation is Taylor, Manuel, and Simms. Trade Cassel, get a future draft pick and give Taylor his chance. I liked his pocket presence and accuracy. If he can command long scoring drives that eat lots of clock and we are able to punch it in for 6 every now and again and he doesn't screw up too much then I think we can do surprisingly well.

The Jokeman
09-01-2015, 03:52 PM
You think his body of work or lack thereof is enough to know what kind of qb he is?

Trentative Edwards or Rob Johnson weren't dink and dunk qbs after even after 10 games. That's more experience than what Tyrod has and yet no one knew what kind of qbs they'd turn out to be after 10 games. EJ was a scared qb last year who looked like he was on the way to being the next trent/Robosack and didn't look it this year.

My point is that there isn't enough data to know that Tyrod will dink and dunk or be a gunslinger.

Prior to this preseason Tyrod's stats were uninspiring both in the pre and regular season. Maybe he finally put it together but I'm reserved as he played against backups throughout the preseason and showed some struggles inside the redzone as a passer, didn't hit any of his long passes and don't remember many over the middle throws. All things most shorter QBs deal with. Yet I will applaud him for his ability to dink and dunk. He earned the start but if he struggles early I don't keep him in there long term especially since our first 2 games are against Conference opponents and then our 3rd game is a division game against Miami. So our playoff hopes could be down the tube with a slow start by Tyrod.

The Jokeman
09-01-2015, 03:56 PM
On the one hand I am not overly impressed by any of the lumps of crap this team is calling a QB. On the other hand, Taylor earned this shot and honestly, and I know how very little weight we should place on the preseason but my QB rotation is Taylor, Manuel, and Simms. Trade Cassel, get a future draft pick and give Taylor his chance. I liked his pocket presence and accuracy. If he can command long scoring drives that eat lots of clock and we are able to punch it in for 6 every now and again and he doesn't screw up too much then I think we can do surprisingly well.

Even as one of the bigger EJ supportes I can't embrace this. If the Bills are truly playing for the playoffs this year moving Cassel makes no sense. As Tyrod is a complete X factor, Manuel is questionable play and Simms is not an NFL QB. At least Cassel is this, yes he's a below average starter but he's an above average backup.

The Jokeman
09-01-2015, 04:01 PM
You can't keep a backup QB after his rookie contract is up, so your "said team not really interested in keeping him" is total nonsense. Denver & the Bills both wanted Tyrod.
For the record, HOFers Brett Favre & Steve Young were backups acquired from another team. Drew Brees was a UFA who went from SD to NO, as did Peyton Manning from Ind to Den. Jim Plunkett went from the scrap heap to Super Bowl winning QB, and Kurt Warner bounced around before & after winning the Super Bowl & led Arizona to another one & just missed winning it. Had enough, or do I need to add Doug Williams coming off the bench & leading Washington to a championship.

The Broncos wanted Tyrod as a backup behind Manning, totally difference situation. Tyrod said it so much himself the only reason he came here vs Denver was the chance to start. Now he's going to get his chance, if he falters that he was what he was in Baltimore a backup/never was. Also every player you mentioned except for Warner were drafted to be starters, Tyrod was a shot/gamble 6th Rounder. It's ironic but the debate you propose is a model for a team to take a chance on EJ too.

Cleve
09-01-2015, 04:29 PM
None?

Yet how many times have the Bills tried it? Holcolmb, Nall, T. Jackson, Kolb, etc, etc, etc.... OBD never learns.

Russ Brandon is still the common thread to all this craptastic QBing.

The Bills keep thinking they can achieve success their own way - and ignore proven models for success that most other teams use; ie, get a FRANCHISE QB, not some scrub. You can't take a journeyman back up QB and anoint him the starter, ala Fitzpatrick, and think you'll get very far in the playoffs, if at all.

This team is STILL paying for the failures of the Brandon/Nix/Gailey/Levy Era.

And yeah, Brandon was an integral part in shaping many, many years of on-field failure for this team. To me, it's just amazing that he still has a job with the organization. The Bills never fail to over-achieve - at disappointing.

Cleve
09-01-2015, 04:30 PM
Rob Johnson? Drew Bledsoe? :ontome:

Exactly. LOL

Cleve
09-01-2015, 04:40 PM

LOL. Manning was a 1st Round Draft Pick by Indy, and passed for 3700 yds in his ROOKIE season.

I think when Denver aquired him, he was something of a proven commodity to say the least.

Steve Young was a backup to Joe Montana -he was a known commodity to San Fran when they started him. They didn't pull him from the Bucs and start him immediately. They developed him under Montana.

Tyrod Taylor has spent FOUR years with Baltimore - and has accumulated only 120 yds, and 2 interceptions.

Cream rises to the top; My opinion is THIS - IF Taylor could do something, he would have by now. He's spent 4 years in the league.

The Jokeman
09-01-2015, 04:45 PM
LOL. Manning was a 1st Round Draft Pick by Indy, and passed for 3700 yds in his ROOKIE season.

I think when Denver aquired him, he was something of a proven commodity to say the least.

Steve Young was a backup to Joe Montana -he was a known commodity to San Fran when they started him. They didn't pull him from the Bucs and start him immediately. They developed him under Montana.

Tyrod Taylor has spent FOUR years with Baltimore - and has accumulated only 120 yds, and 2 interceptions.

Cream rises to the top; My opinion is THIS - IF Taylor could do something, he would have by now. He's spent 4 years in the league.

Tyrod is RJ part 2 except RJ had more excitement behind him because he was a more "proven QB". I'm holding my breath but all things considered I think EJ is the best QB we have.

feldspar
09-01-2015, 05:16 PM

Not really. Apparently, the Ravens weren't even willing to trade him. Dunno what the price offered was.

The other scenarios you mentioned aren't close to the same thing here.

Taylor was behind Flacco and had zero chance of starting or even playing in relevant moments in his four years in Baltimore. This should be no knock on him, or something to hold against his potential in any way. No QB was ever going to be in a position to step in front of what the Ravens have done these past four years.

The thing that should be said is that it's probably now or never for Taylor. He's had his learning time, although he probably needs to learn on the field more. He didn't have a chance to prove himself as the starter until now. We'll see what happens. At least it's interesting to most fans.

Later
09-01-2015, 09:06 PM

Point taken, but Brett Facre and sorta Drew Brees (since SD was going with Rivers the next season) both come to mind.

Deslite his career numbers, you have to admit Tyrod has looked really good for us. Given his similarity to Kaepernick, gotta believe Roman will know how to play to his strengths.

- - - Updated - - -

Point taken, but Brett Facre and sorta Drew Brees (since SD was going with Rivers the next season) both come to mind.

Deslite his career numbers, you have to admit Tyrod has looked really good for us. Given his similarity to Kaepernick, gotta believe Roman will know how to play to his strengths.

BillsImpossible
09-01-2015, 09:12 PM

- - - Updated - - -

37 posts in 8 years.

"Deslite," his career numbers, Later thinks he's saying something meaningful.

Helen Keller could make a better point about football compared to what you have to offer.

IlluminatusUIUC
09-01-2015, 09:44 PM

At what point would have had the opportunity? He was the backup to one of the most durable QBs in the league, Flacco literally has not missed a single start since he was drafted.

BillsImpossible
09-01-2015, 09:55 PM
I never knew X-Era's nickname is Special Ed.

He's trying to be a witch but he's not very good at it.

Bill Cody
09-02-2015, 09:40 AM

Behind a SB winning QB that makes 20m a year. Great point.

Cleve
09-02-2015, 01:12 PM
Behind a SB winning QB that makes 20m a year. Great point.

So how many great starting QBs have spent 4 to 5 YEARS as backups before being discovered that they were amazing starters? I suppose there's a few; but it's not the usual path to greatness that great QBs in this league follow.

Look at these stats; this is the QB Payroll for teams

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/quarterback/

We're near the bottom - and that's only because Cassell is getting paid more than 2X as much as Manuele and Tie-Rod combined. IF you cut Cassell's salary in half, we'd be near the bottom of the barrell. And look at the craptastic teams who are neck and neck with us.... Miami, Tennessee, Cleveland.... do you see any of those teams charging deep into the post-season? I don't.

Our starter... is getting $830k this year. LOL

Look at other starters.....

Seahawks - $7 million

Pittsburgh - $17.2 million
Giants - $19.7 million
New Orleans - $26 million
New England - $16 million
Colts - $7 million
Green Bay - $18 million
Broncos - $17.5 million
Ravens - $14.5 million

Apparently, Russ Brandon and Bumbling Ol' Buddy Nix's training-wheel acolyte, Whaley, think they can do it differently than everyone else. They're SMARTER than the teams that have been competitive in the post-season for years.

That's been the Bills problem for years - they will NOT spend the money to get a top-shelf QB!!!!! The Bills have wasted more than a decade cheaping out at the QB position.

Odds are, in the modern NFL, your team is going NOWHERE without a top-shelf QB

Tie-Rod - yeah, he could be the greatest thing since sliced bread..... but odds are HE ISN'T. The safe money is on him being a qualified backup QB at best, since that's what he's done for his entire career.

Some of this knee-jerk support for Tie-Rod sounds much like the knee jerk support I've been reading here for the past 12 years for Loseman, for Blitzpatrick, for Manuel..... The Bills will put garbage on the field, and inevitably someone here will think or say to wit, "Boy, that could be a REAL clever decision"

But how often has it been? LOL The good teams are spending money for a QB. The crap teams... they aren't. Bottom line.

TacklingDummy
09-02-2015, 03:48 PM
I never knew X-Era's nickname is Special Ed.

He's trying to be a witch but he's not very good at it.

Give the guy a break, after going thru names like JPEra, RJEra, HolcombEra, FitzEra, he gave up and went with X-Era

IlluminatusUIUC
09-02-2015, 04:02 PM
So how many great starting QBs have spent 4 to 5 YEARS as backups before being discovered that they were amazing starters? I suppose there's a few; but it's not the usual path to greatness that great QBs in this league follow.

That's true, most great QBs are initially starters - unless they are drafted behind an already great player. Aaron Rodgers, Matt Hasselbeck, Kurt Warner all sat or got cut because none of them could dislodge Brett Favre. Running down Taylor because he hasn't accomplished anything yet ignores that he has never had a realistic opportunity to start until now.

But how often has it been? LOL The good teams are spending money for a QB. The crap teams... they aren't. Bottom line.

This is backwards. Spending more on a QB doesn't make him good. We learned that much when we threw money at Ryan Fitzpatrick. You have to find a QB, then you pay him more.

Cleve
09-08-2015, 11:01 AM
This is backwards. Spending more on a QB doesn't make him good. We learned that much when we threw money at Ryan Fitzpatrick. You have to find a QB, then you pay him more.

Very true; I didn't write it, but my unstated assumption was that teams are spending more for quality QBs. And no, giving a scrub big bucks just means he's a highly paid scrub - doesn't improve the team or increase success.

And the Bills, with the re-signing of Cassel at $900k, now are 2nd from the bottom in QB spend at $3.3 million. The only team spending less... is the Oakland Raiders at $1.8 million, but they only have 2 QBs signed; the Bills have 3.

http://www.wgr550.com/Rex-Cassel-2-EJ-3-QB/21940434

Like I said, Tie-Rod could be the greatest thing since sliced-bread. Odds are though his performance will be what one expects from a $900k QB these days.

IlluminatusUIUC
09-08-2015, 11:24 AM
Very true; I didn't write it, but my unstated assumption was that teams are spending more for quality QBs. And no, giving a scrub big bucks just means he's a highly paid scrub - doesn't improve the team or increase success.

And the Bills, with the re-signing of Cassel at $900k, now are 2nd from the bottom in QB spend at $3.3 million. The only team spending less... is the Oakland Raiders at $1.8 million, but they only have 2 QBs signed; the Bills have 3.

http://www.wgr550.com/Rex-Cassel-2-EJ-3-QB/21940434

Like I said, Tie-Rod could be the greatest thing since sliced-bread. Odds are though his performance will be what one expects from a $900k QB these days.

I can agree with that strongly. It's just that QB is not like other positions. If you really, really want elite WR play or elite DE play or w/e, you can usually find some just by hammering the FA market or trading for another team's onerous contract. That's what we did with our DL, we invested a lot of money in bringing in an all pro DE and re-signging our all pro DT and got the sack title for it.

But it doesn't matter how badly you want a QB, you generally can't spend your way out of that corner. Teams just don't let them hit the market. Manning only became an FA because his neck was so injured that there was legitimate concern he might be paralyzed the next time he was sacked AND Indianapolis held the pick for another can't miss once in a generation QB talent. If Luck goes back to school, Manning likely never leaves the Colts.

YardRat
09-08-2015, 07:39 PM
Don't kid yourselves...we're ALL gonna be pretty big Taylor fans come kickoff this Sunday. If he crashes and burns? We'll see...

swiper
09-09-2015, 04:52 AM
37 posts in 8 years.

"Deslite," his career numbers, Later thinks he's saying something meaningful.

Helen Keller could make a better point about football compared to what you have to offer.

Quality over quantity idiot. Learn a lesson.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't kid yourselves...we're ALL gonna be pretty big Taylor fans come kickoff this Sunday. If he crashes and burns? We'll see...

Nope

X-Era
09-09-2015, 04:59 AM
I want to see him passing not running...

I don't want to have a run first QB.

We have Sammy, Robert, Harvin, and Clay. I want them to be productive and integral pieces of the offense.

It's always a worry with QB's that can run that they will rely to heavily on their legs.

PromoTheRobot
09-10-2015, 12:09 PM
Why?

We have all that WR and TE talent but want a noodle arm like Cassel playing? BRILLIANT!

X-Era
09-10-2015, 03:36 PM
We have all that WR and TE talent but want a noodle arm like Cassel playing? BRILLIANT!
Not a huge fan of any of our options. But, Cassel is a pocket passer who will pass the ball first. If Tyrod favors tucking and running over pushing it with his throws we could suffer on offense and lose games.

I hope he shows he will throw the ball often, spread the ball around, and will run very infrequently.

Topas
09-11-2015, 07:52 AM
I'll shoot the next guy that says that the Ravens were not interested in retaining him. That is proven bull****. And one guys that has excellent relations with some Ravens players and the FO wanted to trade for him for years. And that guy is called Rex Ryan!

Of course I agree that Tyrod is unproven, that there is a rather high likelihood that he will suck, that he has to prove a lot and all that stuff. Thats true.
But saying that the Ravens did not want to retain him is bull**** and the cream rises to the top argument is also bull****. I guess Rodgers sucks too, I mean he could not even unseat an old Favre guy. Honestly...

swiper
09-13-2015, 11:28 AM
Unimpressive so far.

Typ0
09-13-2015, 12:40 PM
Unimpressive so far.

He's been rock solid. Just what we need.

imbondz
09-13-2015, 01:02 PM
He's been more than solid and more than a game manager so far.

Skooby
09-13-2015, 01:15 PM
What the F- is wrong with some of you?

notacon
09-13-2015, 01:45 PM
Unimpressive so far.

What game are you watching????

Gilly
09-13-2015, 03:57 PM
Tyron is Swiper's worst nightmare. His days of whining bout the Bills are numbered..

swiper
09-13-2015, 04:00 PM
Tyron is Swiper's worst nightmare. His days of whining bout the Bills are numbered..

but at least I know his name. Same old troll. Take your guns and crawl back under your rock.

CoolBreeze
09-13-2015, 05:50 PM
Says the guy with the Matt Cassel avatar.. Are you really Matt C? Be honest..
Unimpressive so far.

Cleve
09-14-2015, 07:05 AM
Outstanding first game for Tyrod Taylor; Passer rating of 123.8 yesterday would be excellent for any QB, let alone a man with his first NFL start, especially against a top-shelf opponent like Indy. What makes the number impressive to me IS the fact it wasn't a bottom feeder team like Cleveland.

A little too soon to judge, but I'll be happy to be proven wrong in my concerns about Taylor. He looked far superior to me than EJ Manuel or Orton ever did. He never looked panicked or rushed, and read the field well. Unlike Manuel he didn't just start stupidly abandoning the passing game to run; but was always looking for an opportunity to pass. And he clearly protected the ball well - even the one time a pass got tipped, he had the presence of mind to bat it down before Indy could pick it.

Can't do much better than Taylor did against Indy yesterday. Again, I'll be happy to be proven wrong in my early concerns about the selection. IF the same Bills that played yesterday show up against New England,it WILL be a game! The paper bag avatar may soon be a thing of the past.

Bill Cody
09-14-2015, 11:32 AM

He loves Cassel and his career 80 passer rating so much he thinks a 123 QBR is "unimpressive". But don't write Mensa member Asswiper off just yet. Tyrod will have a bad game, Rex will mess something and he'll be back, like a cockroach waiting for the lights to go down

notacon
09-14-2015, 03:13 PM
He loves Cassel and his career 80 passer rating so much he thinks a 123 QBR is "unimpressive". But don't write Mensa member Asswiper off just yet. Tyrod will have a bad game, Rex will mess something and he'll be back, like a cockroach waiting for the lights to go down

The more accurate rating of a QB is the Total QBR. Takes into consideration the importance of each play a QB makes. Much more accurate than Passer rating.

Cassel does not bode well here either

2012 - #30
2011 - #18
2010 - #14
2009 - #25
2008 - #9 (with New England after Brady got hurt)

Pretty clearly, Cassel is a has been.

It's a long season, but Tyrod debated at #5.

BuffaloRedleg
09-14-2015, 03:20 PM
Unimpressive so far.

Not even cautiously optimistic?

Can you explain why you weren't at least slightly impressed? Is it just that you need to see him do that on a more regular basis, and this game may have been an outlier?

I'm really confused how you could draw no positives from that performance. You are literally one of the only people in the entire world who thinks this, I have seen nothing else but positive things. What are we all missing that you saw?

Sure he didn't throw 4 TDs for 400 yards, but that is a pretty unreasonable expectation. What would you have been impressed by that he didn't do?

Generalissimus Gibby
09-14-2015, 04:34 PM
Will Tyrod be HOF in a decade? Too early to tell. Will he be a one hit wonder? Too early to tell? Will we be in the playoffs because of him? Too early. However, so far so good and I liked what I saw.

DraftBoy
09-14-2015, 04:41 PM
The only honest question I have with Tyrod is can he place the ball in between defenders when it matters. He got a lot of favorable defensive looks with the Colts determined to stop McCoy. When he's gotta a defense schemed for him can he make the right read and fit the ball into the crossing WR right between the safety and LB? We'll see, but you can't ask for anything more in his debut than what he showed yesterday. Extremely impressive.

swiper
09-14-2015, 04:59 PM
And the bandwagon starts....

DraftBoy
09-14-2015, 05:03 PM

As does the anti-...there will never be a QB that every fan likes. There is no question after that performance though that Taylor is the best option.

X-Era
09-14-2015, 05:33 PM
Happy to eat some crow.

Tyrod outperformed my expectations in this game. The long ball to Harvin was exactly what I wanted to see him do. The runs appeared to be appropriate and not just a knee jerk reaction where he wasn't seeing guys down field.

I hope he keeps it up and continues to throw long.

BuffaloRedleg
09-14-2015, 09:03 PM

Why won't you answer my question? Are you just trolling?

BertSquirtgum
09-14-2015, 10:25 PM

Answer the question.....