PDA

View Full Version : Still feeling numb - roll call #22

Topas
09-01-2015, 05:34 AM
I am still shocked. Freddy cut.

I understand that this is a business and that Brown might overcome his fumblitis and that cutting him is dangerous because after this last year that we could have gotten out of Freddy we would have been in the market for a RB again. So it is better to keep Brown and hope.
At least this is what my head tries to tell my heart.

I think the petition is a joke. It will never work. But I think there is one thing we can do.
Everybody wears a Freddy jersey for the 1st home game of the Bills. And I understand that not everybody wants to buy an outdated jersey (if you dont have one already), but then wear a white T-Shirt and write 22 on it. Imagine, how awesome would it be to have a stadium full of #22.

Disclaimer, I live in Germany and will not attend the first home game of the Bills. But I will attend the game in London when the Bills demolish Morone's O-Line. And I will for sure wear a #22 jersey then.

HHURRICANE
09-01-2015, 05:40 AM
It would have been great to have Fred part of this team. On the other side maybe to have a captain of the team that never has been to the playoffs was actually a negative.

Changing culture requires change. I hope Fred joins a team and makes the playoffs.

Topas
09-01-2015, 06:55 AM
Are you kidding me. Having a captain that was never in the playoffs would be a negative. You mean Fred brings a losing culture with him?
You are kidding right. He would have kicked everybodies ass to get into the playoffs. And since we have a new thug policy (if you got into trouble with the police we will sign you), it would have been very important having him on the team. I am all for giving a few guys a second chance. But if you sign dozen of these guys and get rid of your leaders, you might get into trouble.
Having Fred Jackson on the team would have been a negative locker room-wise.
I understand the on-filed reasons for cutting him (well kind of). But mentioning locker room reasons is ridiculous.
Honestly ...

trapezeus
09-01-2015, 07:11 AM
it seems like bills fans either see this as nomar leaving the redsox or a fresh new curse that is about to be put on us.

i get the decision to some extent. if fred got hurt during the season and lesean was down, we really would be short depthwise. if he doesn't get hurt during the season, we'll look like genius for keeping the cupboard stocked.

what i don't like is that lesean isn't 100% yes for the opener still, Karlos is coming of emergency surgery and brown is a fumbler. If we have to rely on bryce brown at all for a long stretch (2+ games), it will be a constant heart attack waiting to happen.

Meathead
09-01-2015, 07:35 AM
there are therapies for both pro and anti-keep freddy mindsets

heres my lets move on therapist

https://thaiintelligentnews.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/sexy-hot-asian-woman-nurse.jpg?w=460

and heres your lets keep freddie therapist

http://www.ukprogressive.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/nurse-ratched.jpg

streetkings01
09-01-2015, 08:45 AM
Chargers cut LT , Jags cut MJD, 49ers cut Gore........all those guys meant just as much to their team or more then FJax did to the Bills and the fanbase got over it.........some of you guys need to as well.

Victor7
09-01-2015, 09:25 AM
If Shady goes down with an injury and/or Brown fumbles another win like last year we'll be regretting this decision.

I still can't come to terms how Rex and Whaley think Brown or Boobie bring more to the team than FJ

Aggie
09-01-2015, 09:46 AM
Would have been easier to take had he not played Saturday. They should have cut him before that game. Would have been easier to buy too old and broke down and over the hill had we not just seen him bust a huge run where he out ran every young shipper snapper on the field.

casdhf
09-01-2015, 10:03 AM
They weren't cut after camp/

Mr. Miyagi
09-01-2015, 10:16 AM
Everybody is dispensable. Montana, Thurman, Manning, Bruce, Vilfork. When it's time, it's time. Embrace the memories but don't try to hold on to the past.

LOVE YOU FREDDY #22

I'll wear his jersey in his honor but not in sadness.

justasportsfan
09-01-2015, 10:52 AM
On the other side maybe to have a captain of the team that never has been to the playoffs was actually a negative.

Changing culture requires change. I hope Fred joins a team and makes the playoffs.

does this mean we need to cut Kyle Williams and don't re-sign Dareus? That doesn't make sense. It wasn't because of FJ that we didn't make playoffs. He's been the bright thing through those years.

EDS
09-01-2015, 11:10 AM
Fred Jackson is the kind of person I want to support and I wish the Bills organization recognized that value. I was hoping he would play this season in Buffalo and then transition to a front-office role. He is a positive role model and deserved the change to remain a part of the Buffalo community.

Jry44
09-01-2015, 11:14 AM
If Shady goes down with an injury and/or Brown fumbles another win like last year we'll be regretting this decision.

I still can't come to terms how Rex and Whaley think Brown or Boobie bring more to the team than FJ

Brown will get cut, and Boobie and Karlos Williams play special teams. It's that simple.

It's obvious that Karlos Williams passed Freddy on the depth chart. There aren't too many 3rd backs on a roster in the league thatdon't contribute on special teams. It blows because Fred has meant so much to this team for so long, but unfortunately he's at the age where speed and explosiveness decline. It was very obvious last season that he was hitting a wall.

And furthermore, getting Dareus, Bradham, Glenn, and Gilmore signed are more important moves than keeping a declining, 3rd rb that doesn't play special teams on your roster.

Generalissimus Gibby
09-01-2015, 03:07 PM
I understand its a business, but I ABSOLUTELY HATE this decision. However, there are two things that can fairly quickly make me forgive and forget this error:

1) A playoff season, no I am not just talking about getting to the playoffs, I am talking about a Royals or Shockers type playoff Run where we go very deep into 2016.

2) We give Dareus a long term deal

Otherwise, I will say this is completely stupid. I was looking forward to a McCoy and Jackson 1-2 punch like we had when we had Thurman and Kenny D.

- - - Updated - - -

there are therapies for both pro and anti-keep freddy mindsets

heres my lets move on therapist

https://thaiintelligentnews.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/sexy-hot-asian-woman-nurse.jpg?w=460

Wait, Fred who?

Mr. Pink
09-01-2015, 03:10 PM
I congratulate him for finally getting out of football hell.

Go get yourself a ring because it wasn't gonna happen here in the limited time he has left to play.

Not to mention this organization tried to replace him for years at RB, even though throughout his 9 years here, he was the best back on the roster.

feldspar
09-01-2015, 03:16 PM
Brown will get cut, and Boobie and Karlos Williams play special teams. It's that simple.

It's obvious that Karlos Williams passed Freddy on the depth chart. There aren't too many 3rd backs on a roster in the league thatdon't contribute on special teams. It blows because Fred has meant so much to this team for so long, but unfortunately he's at the age where speed and explosiveness decline. It was very obvious last season that he was hitting a wall.

And furthermore, getting Dareus, Bradham, Glenn, and Gilmore signed are more important moves than keeping a declining, 3rd rb that doesn't play special teams on your roster.

Count me among the minority who thinks that Brown should be #2 to start the season.

The Jokeman
09-01-2015, 04:08 PM
I congratulate him for finally getting out of football hell.

Go get yourself a ring because it wasn't gonna happen here in the limited time he has left to play.

Not to mention this organization tried to replace him for years at RB, even though throughout his 9 years here, he was the best back on the roster.

Best or fortunate that some of the other guys he played with were unable to stay healthy?

Mr. Pink
09-01-2015, 04:11 PM
Best or fortunate that some of the other guys he played with were unable to stay healthy?

Please, you're not going to suggest either Lynch or Spiller were better while they were here are you?

The Jokeman
09-01-2015, 04:36 PM
Please, you're not going to suggest either Lynch or Spiller were better while they were here are you?

Talent wise Lynch and Spiller were better. I can make the debate that Lynch was tossed aside too quickly and played as well as Fred when they were here as we've seen what happened since. Spiller out performed Fred that one year he was able to stay healthy in 2012. Again, I respect Fred as a person and a player but some fans idolize him when I don't think he was as great as some make him out to be. I said it 2010 and stand by it that Dez Bryant was the best pick we could have made for short term/long term success.

streetkings01
09-01-2015, 04:38 PM
Please, you're not going to suggest either Lynch or Spiller were better while they were here are you?When Spiller was given the opportunity to carry the full load he finished with 1244 rushing yards, 6.0 per carry, 6td, 43 rec 459 yards 2 td

Lynch had 2 1000 yard rushing 7+ td seasons in Buffalo

Fred has 1 1000 yard rushing season in his entire time in Buffalo

streetkings01
09-01-2015, 04:41 PM
Talent wise Lynch and Spiller were better. I can make the debate that Lynch was tossed aside too quickly and played as well as Fred when they were here as we've seen what happened since. Spiller out performed Fred that one year he was able to stay healthy in 2012. Again, I respect Fred as a person and a player but some fans idolize him when I don't think he was as great as some make him out to be. I said it 2010 and stand by it that Dez Bryant was the best pick we could have made for short term/long term success.Ive noticed that most Bills fans will overvalue any player that does things in the Buffalo community. Some of these guys were sad to see Losman go just because he had an apartment in downtown Buffalo.

Cleve
09-01-2015, 04:47 PM
1. If he was injured, and couldn't play well, it's a good decision.

2. IF not, it's questionable given the question marks around QB and the passing game. What if Tie-Rod isn't all that? Then they'll need help from the running game, and where is that coming from with Jackson gone?

Again, 2 is only applicable if he was healthy enough to perform.

Either way, If the running game retrogresses in 2015, and the passing game disappoints, it could be a LONG season.

Mr. Pink
09-01-2015, 04:51 PM
Talent wise Lynch and Spiller were better. I can make the debate that Lynch was tossed aside too quickly and played as well as Fred when they were here as we've seen what happened since. Spiller out performed Fred that one year he was able to stay healthy in 2012. Again, I respect Fred as a person and a player but some fans idolize him when I don't think he was as great as some make him out to be. I said it 2010 and stand by it that Dez Bryant was the best pick we could have made for short term/long term success.

Talent wise? Maybe.

Production wise? Not so much.

2012 is the only season where Fred was outperformed across the board by another RB on the roster in the 8 seasons where he played a role in the offense. Even in 2007 where he played an extremely limited role offensively he had a better ypc than Lynch and had more receptions.

The Jokeman
09-01-2015, 04:52 PM
1. If he was injured, and couldn't play well, it's a good decision.

2. IF not, it's questionable given the question marks around QB and the passing game. What if Tie-Rod isn't all that? Then they'll need help from the running game, and where is that coming from with Jackson gone?

Again, 2 is only applicable if he was healthy enough to perform.

Either way, If the running game retrogresses in 2015, and the passing game disappoints, it could be a LONG season.

If McCoy is healthy than Freddie would rarely see the field. Toss in keeping him prevents us from developing Karlos (or Bryce) behind him. Seeing that Dixon and Karlos are returning from injury and see a vine of McCoy running looks like our RBs are getting healthy. It's a risk but it's a risk worth taking because quite honestly RB might be the easiest position in all of football to find/develop.

The Jokeman
09-01-2015, 04:56 PM
Talent wise? Maybe.

Production wise? Not so much.

2012 is the only season where Fred was outperformed across the board by another RB on the roster in the 8 seasons where he played a role in the offense. Even in 2007 where he played an extremely limited role offensively he had a better ypc than Lynch and had more receptions.

Fred was a warrior no doubt but if you evaluate them on talent I bet Fred would be the last RB drafted by an over whelming majority of teams. Teams that need a RB like Dallas and Houston seem disinterested and even the team we all thought scoop him up right away (New England) has yet to make a move on him yet. Time will tell where he lands up and I wish him all the luck in the world but to me letting him go is allowing the Bills to try to take a step forward. Not side track.

Mr. Pink
09-01-2015, 05:02 PM
Fred was a warrior no doubt but if you evaluate them on talent I bet Fred would be the last RB drafted by an over whelming majority of teams. Teams that need a RB like Dallas and Houston seem disinterested and even the team we all thought scoop him up right away (New England) has yet to make a move on him yet. Time will tell where he lands up and I wish him all the luck in the world but to me letting him go is allowing the Bills to try to take a step forward. Not side track.

And even today, he's better than all the running backs on the roster after McCoy.

So how is it a step forward?

The Jokeman
09-01-2015, 05:13 PM
And even today, he's better than all the running backs on the roster after McCoy.

So how is it a step forward?

Long term perspective. In terms of Fred being better than Brown, for his career sure but based on last year and looking forward who's better? To me it's Bryce and Karlos Williams might be better than Bryce. I said it earlier, what is the one thing that the Patriots, Steelers and Eagles (three of the better run NFL franchises) do better than others? They let go of guys at the right time. This was the time to let go of Fred Jackson just like after 2012 was the right time for the Patriots to let go of Wes Wekler even though at the time it looked like a dumb move.

Mace
09-01-2015, 06:02 PM

I sort of agree with the first part, ST flexibility is obviously a consideration. Flip side of that though is using RB's on ST's also subjects them to more injury risk where they cannot then be RB's if needed.

Last part I have trouble with. Granted he's no speedster, but had no issues sacrificing himself for the tough yards. He's not your blazing speedster, but he knew where to find holes and run with a fierce will like no one we have left. You will not see Shady do a safety with stiff arms, he'd dance out of bounds first contact on the play or cut back and get caught by the legs if he wasn't outrunning anyone.

And again, there is the 66 receptions last year, most of his career. I just don't see anyone behind the bellcow back running with that level of intensity or hauling in 66 receptions in a Roman offense that could use intense runners with soft hands as bread and butter.

BertSquirtgum
09-01-2015, 06:37 PM
Fred was slower than my grandpa scooting around on his hoverround. I don't understand the outrage.

kscdogbillsfan1221
09-01-2015, 07:09 PM
Fred was slower than my grandpa scooting around on his hoverround. I don't understand the outrage.

Sure he was slow. But he more than made up for it in in game awareness, intelligence, vision, balance, pass catching, blocking and leadership

BertSquirtgum
09-01-2015, 07:33 PM
I think the only thing they are going to miss in his blocking skills. Although, whenever he was in on 3rd downs teams automatically knew the Bills were passing.

Topas
09-10-2015, 05:27 AM
Bump

I think everybody agrees that Fred was a great player for us, so I still like this idea :D
So doing this as a tribute (no matter if you agree with the decision or not) would be great.

Anyway, I ordered just now a 22 jersey on my own. As said, I will wear it London when I attend the game.

IlluminatusUIUC
09-10-2015, 02:53 PM
I just don't see anyone behind the bellcow back running with that level of intensity or hauling in 66 receptions in a Roman offense that could use intense runners with soft hands as bread and butter.

I already posted this, but the Roman offense does not emphasize passes to the halfbacks.

Not really. Roman doesn't throw many passes to the backs. In 4 years as San Francisco's OC, they were barely used that way. In 2014, for example, the Bills targeted 145 passes to backs and 90 to Fred. San Francisco targeted 64 to all their backs combined. Frank Gore only had 113 passes thrown his way the whole 4 years Roman was coaching him.

Just look at our own offense this year. Of our 62 completions, only 9 have gone to backs. Fred Jackson had 13 catches alone in the last preseason.