PDA

View Full Version : Did EJ Manuel Win The Backup Quarterback Competition?

BillsImpossible
09-01-2015, 06:36 PM
I think it's a resounding yes.

Regardless of cap hit money, EJ showed more potential than Matt Cassel.

EJ won the job by being aggressive and making big throws.

EJ Manuel is a young cat that can be taught new tricks.

Matt Cassel is an old dog that's been crapping all over the NFL for 10 years and is near being taken out behind the shed.

Old Yeller, or EJ Manuel to backup Tyrod Taylor?

TacklingDummy
09-01-2015, 06:58 PM
He won the starting QB competition.

Oh well.

He will be starting by week 3.

Night Train
09-01-2015, 07:05 PM

Oh well.

http://files.purpleclover.com/photos/2015/04/02/55-25227-natel-1428018353.jpg

BillsImpossible
09-01-2015, 07:07 PM

Oh well.

If Taylor gets hurt, I'd rather have a quarterback like EJ Manuel running the offense instead of Cassel.

TacklingDummy
09-01-2015, 07:12 PM
If Taylor gets hurt, I'd rather have a quarterback like EJ Manuel running the offense instead of Cassel.

Hurt or ineffective.

The Jokeman
09-01-2015, 07:15 PM

Agreed on EJ as the #2 but what happens if EJ shows that his preseason was a sham or reverts to his "old form"? Again Cassel is an insurance policy that's worth keeping around IMHO. As I like EJ as much as anyone but still have questions about his play.

BillsImpossible
09-01-2015, 07:25 PM
Hurt or ineffective.

If Taylor gets hurt or is ineffective, I'd rather have a quarterback like EJ Manuel running the offense instead of Matt Cassel.

Night Train
09-01-2015, 07:45 PM
Agreed on EJ as the #2 but what happens if EJ shows that his preseason was a sham or reverts to his "old form"? Again Cassel is an insurance policy that's worth keeping around IMHO. As I like EJ as much as anyone but still have questions about his play.

What if he actually received some coaching and direction at QB for the first time in his life this past few months ?

Looks like he's being told to finally just trust his reads and let it fly. The results have been far better than what I've seen from Cassel. I'd much rather have him as the backup over stone footed Capt. Checkdown.

BillsImpossible
09-01-2015, 07:58 PM
What if he actually received some coaching and direction at QB for the first time in his life this past few months ?

Looks like he's being told to finally just trust his reads and let it fly. The results have been far better than what I've seen from Cassel. I'd much rather have him as the backup over stone footed Capt. Checkdown.

I agree with you, but you're one of the people that wish to see me gone from this board so suck my 8 inch fat **** and go away from anything I say.

BillsImpossible
09-01-2015, 08:05 PM

For the first time in his career, EJ Manuel has a coaching staff that know what the F their doing.

It shows.

ublinkwescore
09-01-2015, 08:08 PM
the absolute best thing this front office can do is cut cassell, pay dareus and roman and give roman a new title - assistant HC/OC and pay him to stick around for 2 more years to groom a replacement for when he takes a HC gig.

TacklingDummy
09-01-2015, 09:07 PM
For the first time in his career, EJ Manuel has a coaching staff that know what the F their doing.

It shows.Geno Smith says what?

BillsImpossible
09-01-2015, 09:16 PM
Geno Smith says what?

Marty freaking Mornhinweg.

Marty Moose.

BillsImpossible
09-01-2015, 09:32 PM
Marty Moose musical interlude...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jY9xZoKiBgU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

TakingItuptheChin
09-01-2015, 11:45 PM
EJ still sucks and never did progressed. If he faces a real defense in the regular season, he will make the same moronic mistakes he has been doing for the past 2 years. EJ will be cut or traded before regular season starts.

HHURRICANE
09-02-2015, 02:01 AM
I think Roman is the reason that Cassel will stay.

He's insurance.

kishoph
09-02-2015, 04:57 AM

This makes total sense to me, if Taylor was to get hurt, Manuel would be able to run basically the same type offense. If Cassel was to replace Taylor due to injury, the offensive strategy would have to change and change drastically IMO.
What happens if in the 3rd quarter of a important game Taylor goes down after being able to successfully move the ball by running the option, rolling out and throwing deep, who do you want to come in, Manuel who could continue with the same type of plays or Cassel, who you would have to abandon what has been working in order to fit his skill set ? You don't want your starter and his back-up to be 2 different kinds of QB.

Historian
09-02-2015, 07:46 AM
I don't think anyone can tell until he competes against NFL caliber talent.

starrymessenger
09-02-2015, 09:23 AM
To me there is no doubt Cassell adds value to this roster. He hasn't played badly. It's pretty risky to go into the season without a veteran presence at the all important position when your # 1 and 2 are unproven, much as you might like them. EJ in particular seems to have made big strides but he's still very much in development mode and could yet prove to be a bust. That is hardly a remote possibility. It's a very real one.
The Cassell decision should be about whether the savings and enhanced ability to sign core players next year and the year after trumps the security you have with him backing up Tyrod and, maybe, EJ.

Lucidvizion
09-02-2015, 10:00 AM
I agree with you, but you're one of the people that wish to see me gone from this board so suck my 8 inch fat **** and go away from anything I say.

Try not to take it personally. I liked that post because it was well-timed comedy, nothing against you at all.