Compare this years team to our superbowl teams...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ublinkwescore
    Sab and TD are insignificant
    • Sep 2002

Compare this years team to our superbowl teams...

Hell, every one else is doing it, why can't I?

Any ways, this team (so far on paper) has a lot of things in common with our Superbowl years team - from Front office down to the players if you think about it. Bill Polian had great drafts where he pulled starters that would eventually be big names in each one each year (remember when we drafted Henry and Clements in the same draft? I especially liked that).

Gregg Williams and Marv Levy are both great motivators (who supposedly don't show much intelligence in some areas) and both drew doubts from fans at some point.

Moulds and Reed - physical playmaking recievers.

Thomas and Henry - both great rushers who had a tendency to fumble more often then we'd care to have them fumble.

Bledsoe and Kelly - both pocket passers that could pick apart a Defense with the right weapons, great at reading Ds.

Our D - Schobel is Smith, Wire is Kelso, Prioleau is Jones (I think - could have my safeties mixed up) Spikes is Bennet, Posey is Conlan(?), and Fletcher is Talley.

Damn we going back to the big dance - this time we're gonna get 4 of them instead of watching them slip through our hands.
    www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire
  • Dozerdog
    In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

I’m not going to compare players to players- way to many differences in style to do that. I’ll do it by units.

Passing attack- SB Bills were better. Better TE’s, a deeper WR corps, and better protection gave the Bills flexibility. It was their ability to adjust to whatever the defenses threw at them and exploit the weaknesses at will that made them great. Thurman’s ability to receive made him another extra weapon as deadly as the rest in the passing attack

Rushing- SB Bills (until Gary and McGahee prove themselves). Take Henry out last season and the Bills were toast. Kenny Davis proved the Bills could survive without Thomas for long stretches and survive. If Gary and McGahee can get on the field in Gilbride’s offenses- the Bills rushing attack in 2003 could get an edge. If Henry and McGahee are around in 2004, I’s give the edge to the modern Bills. But right now, no.

OL- SB Bills by far. Hull over Teague. Right now, Mike Williams is good, needs 2 more seasons to compare to Wolford . Ruben Brown over Ritcher.

QB-s both strong leaders- Both gambled a lot and forced interceptions. I think Kelly could shake off a bad pass or game better than Bledsoe. Slight edge Kelly- Both will be HoF QB’s when it’s over.

Special Teams- SB Bills in a laugher, even with Norwood.

DL- SB Bills by far. ( I know they played a 3-4, not today’s 4-3. But even in a 4-3 alignment, SB Bills are better )

LB’s- SB Bills Bennett, Conlon, Talley Bailey – Spikes is comparable to that group, but let’ see what he can do in the turnover department. Fletcher & Conlon even in my book. Posey doesn’t come close to Talley. Bailey better than Spoon ( in a 3-4 alignment)

DB’s- Modern Bills are better at CB, SB Bills better at the safety spots. I’ll call it a PUSH

Coaches- SB Bills- Levy wasn’t Gen George Patton by any means, But he’s no Gomer Pyle either. Williams, he might not be Gomer Pyle- Goober Pyle maybe, but not Gomer

Comment

• MDFINFAN
      • Jun 2003

Your SB Bills were much deeper depth wise than this team..I think your O with Kelly, was a little more dynamic than this team...If anything, seems you would want this team to be better than your SB teams.

Reach for the stars

Comment

• ublinkwescore
        Sab and TD are insignificant
        • Sep 2002

During our Superbowl runs though, there wasn't a salary cap was there?
        www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Comment

• Dozerdog
          In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
          • Jul 2002

First year of the cap was 1994

Comment

• TedMock
            • Jul 2002

If you're going to compare players, I'd compare Spikes to Talley not to Bennett. Spikes has the cross field speed that Bennett had but I don't know if he's the pass rusher Bennett was. Talley played the same position and was extremely intelligent as is Spikes. He was quietly the best player on the defense. As far as ILB's go it's hard to compare Conlon with Fletcher. They're just two totally different styles. Fletcher's a lot faster and "roams" a little more to create running room while Conlon was a "plug" type backer who could fill a running hole and take on the fullback at the line of scrimmage. Posey is tough to compare to any of them. He may or may not be the pass rusher that Bennett was but he definitely does not have the lateral speed of Bennett. He is bigger though and may be able to turn plays around better than Biscuit did. We shall see.

Comment

• ryven
              • Jan 2003

You may be hittin alittle far with schobel being smith. He is on his way as long as he keeps improving but hes no smith right yet.

Comment

• Ebenezer
                Give me a minute...
                • Jul 2002

Dozer hit the nail on the head...Head Coach...Williams has 8 games to prove he isn't a Goober.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Fairway To Green
                  • Jul 2002

compare this team to Bills SB teams..............

if they get there they will win it.

Comment

Working...
                  X