PDA

View Full Version : Who gets cut? Simms or Cassel?

Forward_Lateral
09-04-2015, 05:09 AM
Watching Simms last night, granted it was vs scrubs, he looked decent. Yeah he made a few completely dumb plays, but he looked decent standing in there and making some throws. Took some hits and delivered too.

My question, I guess, is what does Cassel bring that Simms doesn't, besides experience and 5 million dollars?

HHURRICANE
09-04-2015, 05:12 AM
I think this team is closer than we think.

If we can afford Cassel you keep him on the roster.

swiper
09-04-2015, 05:22 AM
Simms

TacklingDummy
09-04-2015, 05:35 AM
Here's a shocker, Manuel.
Keep Simms and Cassel.

GOBILLSGO!!!
09-04-2015, 06:28 AM
The spin-o-rama, wtf fumble sealed the deal. Time to cut son of towhead.

Mr. Miyagi
09-04-2015, 06:40 AM
Cassel costs us a lot more than Simms as a 3rd stringer.

swiper
09-04-2015, 06:43 AM
Cassel costs us a lot more than Simms as a 3rd stringer.

Who cares?

I can't get over the inane complaining of the cost of keeping a durable game-managing QB. So many times we've read that we shouldn't care b/c it's not "our money." Now money bags buys the team and we suddenly worry about a measly $4 million insurance policy for the season? It makes no sense. Especially for you and the others claiming this team is so stacked that it will make a run at the play-offs.

The Jokeman
09-04-2015, 06:45 AM
Who cares?

I can't get over the inane complaining of the cost of keeping a durable game-managing QB. So many times we've read that we shouldn't care b/c it's not "our money." Now money bags buys the team and we suddenly worry about a measly $4 million insurance policy for the season? It makes no sense. Especially for you and the others claiming this team is so stacked that it will make a run at the play-offs.

Bills fans are cheap!

Mr. Pink
09-04-2015, 06:46 AM
Simms.

You really want the possibility of what we saw last night play a game that counts?

A slim possibility, but a possibility.

Mr. Miyagi
09-04-2015, 06:46 AM
Who cares?

My point is, they both suck equally and the money is the tie-breaker.

The Jokeman
09-04-2015, 06:54 AM

Cassel might be a below average starter but he is a superior backup. I say keep him for insurance if the Tyrod experiment doesn't go as well as some hope.

swiper
09-04-2015, 06:56 AM

Cassel doesn't suck. He stuggled in KC. Yes. He has been stable, if unspectacular, under Roman. He hit 13 of 15. I don't care what he costs.

Night Train
09-04-2015, 07:01 AM
They will both get cut with Simms being a consideration for the practice squad, which depends on other teams cuts.

MikeInRoch
09-04-2015, 07:03 AM
Cassel. Simms to the practice squad.

casdhf
09-04-2015, 07:37 AM
Simms was destined to the Practice Squad the minute he signed here.

Bill Cody
09-04-2015, 07:52 AM
Here's a shocker, Manuel.
Keep Simms and Cassel.

why?

Mr. Miyagi
09-04-2015, 07:53 AM
Cassel doesn't suck. He stuggled in KC. Yes. He has been stable, if unspectacular, under Roman. He hit 13 of 15. I don't care what he costs.
He hit 13 of 15 for like 78 yards. You and I could make those little 4 yard tosses all day.

Mr. Pink
09-04-2015, 07:58 AM
He hit 13 of 15 for like 78 yards. You and I could make those little 4 yard tosses all day.

Throwing the ball 4 yards forward is a hell of a lot better than throwing the ball 20 yards backward.

Just sayin'

Albany,n.y.
09-04-2015, 07:58 AM
EJ beat out Cassel for #2. The business side of the NFL makes it impossible to keep a 3rd string QB making $4 million. The other reason Cassel has to go is because if he's on the opening day roster he gets his entire $4 million guaranteed.
There's also another side to this story-Cassel is very unhappy with his situation with the Bills & you don't need a disgruntled 3rd stringer.
The people who want to keep him are acting like he's 2nd string-he's not, he's 3rd string & has to go.

Yasgur's Farm
09-04-2015, 08:01 AM
Bubbye Cassel... The other Matt.

notacon
09-04-2015, 08:03 AM
After watching Simms last night...I would cut him. He's not even close to being competent and made many, many mistakes. He serves no purpose. The Bills have two young QB's to develop in EJ and Tyrod.

Cassel is worth having around because his experience means that he would be a credible starter if both EJ and Tyrod get hurt, or are ineffective.

I don't understand the concern over how much he's paid. The Bills are not in any cap trouble for 2015 and Cassel represents zero "dead" money. With two very questionable QB's (as in no one has any idea that they will help or hurt the team's playoff chances) it would be foolish to cut Cassel until there is a solid indication of stability and consistency in their play.

Additionally, Cassel will prove to be invaluable to the two youngsters on the sidelines as he can talk them through situations and lend some of his experience to further their's.

Once either EJ or Tyrod show they can be the consistent starter, or, dare I say, the "franchise" QB we have been searching for close to two decades, the Bills could afford a third stringer that has potential to be developed into a reliable backup. Cassel can be cut at any time if the cap space is deemed necessary for 2016.

Meathead
09-04-2015, 08:07 AM
one billion pcent cassel gets cut

TacklingDummy
09-04-2015, 08:45 AM
why?

It's the Bills.

Pinkerton Security
09-04-2015, 08:53 AM
Cassel IMO is worth keeping around - Tyrod and Manuel are both unproven and should it come to a point where we need a more stable (albeit lower-ceiling) QB to push us over a hump, we may need him

djjimkelly
09-04-2015, 08:57 AM
considering i would never let either see the field in a real game

id cut cassel and go with the cheaper option

feldspar
09-04-2015, 09:03 AM

He had bigger passes called back on penalties; in fact, he only had four drives, and 3 of them had significant penalties that helped stall them.

To me he looked like the game manager we actually TRADED for. We should definitely keep him IMO.

Bill Cody
09-04-2015, 09:04 AM
It's the Bills.

lol

casdhf
09-04-2015, 09:07 AM
The only reason to cut Cassel is if we have an extension for someone coming.

Forward_Lateral
09-04-2015, 09:11 AM
IMO you get rid of Cassel for 3 reasons 1.) His salary. 2.) He is very replaceable 3.) He doesn't fit the offense whatsoever

justasportsfan
09-04-2015, 09:14 AM
I think this team is closer than we think.

If we can afford Cassel you keep him on the roster.

Why would you want to keep him when keeping him would be like keeping FJax? Remember him? The insurance player you wanted to get rid of?

swiper
09-04-2015, 09:18 AM
IMO you get rid of Cassel for 3 reasons 1.) His salary. 2.) He is very replaceable 3.) He doesn't fit the offense whatsoever

ROFLMAO. Really? Whaley and Roman said they went out and got him because he exactly does fit their offense exactly. That being the power running game. Whaley, in fact, said they thought he was so much better fit that they were willing to go out and trade for him and accept his salary. So you're wrong on all three counts.

feldspar
09-04-2015, 09:19 AM

1) He's making veteran backup money.

2) he's not replaceable THIS year.

3) I don't understand this one. How does he not fit the offense whatsoever?

Forward_Lateral
09-04-2015, 09:26 AM
1) He's making veteran backup money.

2) he's not replaceable THIS year.

3) I don't understand this one. How does he not fit the offense whatsoever?

1.) 5 million a year is too much for a 3rd string QB

2.) If they REALLY want a veteran backup, there will be a bunch available in a few days.

3.) He accuracy sucks, and he can't throw the deep ball and he's not very mobile.

Forward_Lateral
09-04-2015, 09:28 AM
ROFLMAO. Really? Whaley and Roman said they went out and got him because he exactly does fit their offense exactly. That being the power running game. Whaley, in fact, said they thought he was so much better fit that they were willing to go out and trade for him and accept his salary. So you're wrong on all three counts.

He fits the offense so well that he's 3rd string.

swiper
09-04-2015, 09:30 AM
He fits the offense so well that he's 3rd string.

Where was that put into print by the Bills?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/21/rex-ryan-bills-will-run-50-times-a-game-if-we-can/

Forward_Lateral
09-04-2015, 09:37 AM
Where was that put into print by the Bills?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/21/rex-ryan-bills-will-run-50-times-a-game-if-we-can/

Why did you link an article from March?

Mahdi
09-04-2015, 09:40 AM
I really like what I saw from Sims.

He has an interesting delivery like Rivers.

He was good in the pocket, showed good mobility to step up and shift away from pressure.

What I liked most was that he really drives the ball downfield. Throws with great confidence and velocity.

I would keep him over Cassel.

Ed
09-04-2015, 09:43 AM
Who cares?

It has nothing to do with what it costs the owner. It's called the salary cap. The team either uses $4.75 mil of cap space this year to have Cassel be the #3 qb, or they roll it into next season and put that money towards key players we have to re-sign like Dareus and Glenn.

feldspar
09-04-2015, 09:45 AM
1.) 5 million a year is too much for a 3rd string QB

2.) If they REALLY want a veteran backup, there will be a bunch available in a few days.

3.) He accuracy sucks, and he can't throw the deep ball and he's not very mobile.

1) who says he's 3rd string in the first place?

2) who exactly? Anyone better than Cassel? Also, Cassel already knows this offense, and I guarantee you that if the Bills cut him, he'd be on everyone's short-list that's still scrambling for a backup.

3) if you say so. Whatever. He's exactly the guy the Bills traded for.

Bill Cody
09-04-2015, 11:30 AM
I prefer Kate Beckett to Cassel

sukie
09-04-2015, 11:31 AM
Simms cut. Cassel to start week 4

Forward_Lateral
09-04-2015, 11:37 AM

Wanna bet?

sukie
09-04-2015, 11:40 AM
Wanna bet?

Okay maybe week 5.... I hope not. I don't want last year all over again

THATHURMANATOR
09-04-2015, 11:41 AM
Probably both.

Simms can go to PS

sukie
09-04-2015, 11:42 AM
Probably both.

Simms can go to PS

Simms axed

sudzy
09-04-2015, 12:28 PM
Fans calling for Cassel to be cut are idiots. To go into a season with a total of 14 games of starting is crazy. Especially on a team with such high expectations.

Albany,n.y.
09-04-2015, 01:18 PM

For what team?

Albany,n.y.
09-04-2015, 01:28 PM
Fans calling for Cassel to be cut are idiots. To go into a season with a total of 14 games of starting is crazy. Especially on a team with such high expectations.

Unless he's willing top play for around $1 million he's going to get cut. They can get the same guy signing a player like Flynn if the Jets cut him.
That's the reality of today's NFL. You can't pay your 3rd stringer $4+ million.
If you think the Bills are keeping him at that salary, then you're the idiot. Well maybe not an idiot, just someone with absolutely no understanding of the economics of the NFL.
Also, they have until next Saturday night to cut him, so don't go declaring victory if he's still on the team at the start of next week. The deadline to cut him is before the opener because then his full salary is guaranteed. He may survive until they get another cheaper vet next week.

Albany,n.y.
09-04-2015, 02:44 PM
1) who says he's 3rd string in the first place?

Carucci: EJ Manuel took 2nd QB reps in practice w #Bills Friday.

https://twitter.com/viccarucci/status/639893677813460992

swiper
09-04-2015, 02:59 PM
Falcons clearing the deck at back-up QB. Think they will trade with the Bills for one of our 3?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/09/04/falcons-clearing-the-decks-at-qb-cutting-rex-grossman-and-t-j-yates/

better days
09-04-2015, 03:06 PM

Russel Wilson did pretty well starting as a rookie.

Anyone wanting to keep Cassel at that high cap number to be the #3 QB is an idiot.

Tyrod & EJ both outplayed Cassel in the preseason games.

TacklingDummy
09-04-2015, 03:11 PM
Falcons clearing the deck at back-up QB. Think they will trade with the Bills for one of our 3?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/09/04/falcons-clearing-the-decks-at-qb-cutting-rex-grossman-and-t-j-yates/

Give us a 1st for TT.

The Jokeman
09-04-2015, 03:35 PM

Scott Pioli works in Atlanta, I doubt he'd trade for Cassel again (since he traded for him in KC) but stranger things have happened.

Mace
09-04-2015, 03:55 PM
Simms axed

Good point. Considering that, my gut feeling is Simms will be cut first.

notacon
09-04-2015, 04:18 PM
Unless he's willing top play for around $1 million he's going to get cut. They can get the same guy signing a player like Flynn if the Jets cut him.
That's the reality of today's NFL. You can't pay your 3rd stringer $4+ million.
If you think the Bills are keeping him at that salary, then you're the idiot. Well maybe not an idiot, just someone with absolutely no understanding of the economics of the NFL.
Also, they have until next Saturday night to cut him, so don't go declaring victory if he's still on the team at the start of next week. The deadline to cut him is before the opener because then his full salary is guaranteed. He may survive until they get another cheaper vet next week.

That might makes sense if Cassel was a sure "third string" QB. I don't think he is. As it is, if Tyrod stays the starter he will be the cheapest starter in the league by far.

I think the chances of Tyrod starting every game is almost nil. Cassel will probably end up starting close to half of the games. It's not a matter of getting a "cheaper vet". It's matter of this team has no clue who is the best long term (as in this season) starter will be. The Bills are #27 in cash payments to the QB position.

The only "idiots" are those that think the QB question is settled for 2015 for the Bills. It isn't. $4.7 million for a team that's paying only $7.1 million for all the QB's on the team is not out of line.

I'm not pimping for Cassel either. I think he's just like Orton, which means I think he sucks and is just about done in the league as far as starting goes. But, with only EJ and a very inexperienced Tyrod ahead of him, the idiotic thing to do is let Cassel go before the regular season starts. Tyron may not even last through the Pats game as starter.

2016 will bring a complete different landscape as far as QB goes. No one has a crystal ball good enough to have any idea what that landscape will look like.

BillsImpossible
09-04-2015, 04:52 PM
Russel Wilson did pretty well starting as a rookie.

Anyone wanting to keep Cassel at that high cap number to be the #3 QB is an idiot.

Tyrod & EJ both outplayed Cassel in the preseason games.

They outplayed Cassel by a mile!

Glad to see you back, better days.