X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chernobylwraiths
    • Jan 2003

Carpenter

Sad how fickle people are. Guy plays very well for us for the last couple years, comes into camp with a small injury and misses a few in the preseason and we want to cut him for some guy who probably can't kick. We probably won't get a better kicker. He was cut from Miami after being voted for the pro bowl in a previous year because of a little inconsistency and came to us and did great.

Kickers are funny people usually. They go through small bad stretches, but you don't kick him to the curb unless you have to if they have shown to be pretty good and not in decline. He kicked something like 6 over 50 yard field goals last year, he is not in decline. I wanted Rian Lindell gone shortly after he got here, but the Bills stuck with him and he turned into a very good kicker. That was two years after letting Christie go.

He doesn't even complain about coming in injured, he says he has to be better. Isn't that what people want? A guy who takes responsibility and says the right things? I've been through some pretty miserable kickers in my years as a Bills fan, I don't want to go through another stretch of Jake Airiens, Shayne Graham, Tom Demsey, and a list of names people have barely ever heard of.
  • justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

Re: Carpenter

Yup. Not ready to cut him just yet. He was clutch for us in regular season.
    sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• GvilleBills
      • Mar 2006

#KeepTheCarp
      Was clutch for us and, iirc, he dug his neighbor out of the snow during last years storm.

C'mon dude, that's Buffalo.
      Diehard BillGator... best of both worlds

Comment

• The Jokeman
        • Dec 2003

Originally posted by chernobylwraiths View Post
        Sad how fickle people are. Guy plays very well for us for the last couple years, comes into camp with a small injury and misses a few in the preseason and we want to cut him for some guy who probably can't kick. We probably won't get a better kicker. He was cut from Miami after being voted for the pro bowl in a previous year because of a little inconsistency and came to us and did great.

Kickers are funny people usually. They go through small bad stretches, but you don't kick him to the curb unless you have to if they have shown to be pretty good and not in decline. He kicked something like 6 over 50 yard field goals last year, he is not in decline. I wanted Rian Lindell gone shortly after he got here, but the Bills stuck with him and he turned into a very good kicker. That was two years after letting Christie go.

He doesn't even complain about coming in injured, he says he has to be better. Isn't that what people want? A guy who takes responsibility and says the right things? I've been through some pretty miserable kickers in my years as a Bills fan, I don't want to go through another stretch of Jake Airiens, Shayne Graham, Tom Demsey, and a list of names people have barely ever heard of.
        I'm all aboard the Carpenter ride if he's healthy but if he's not he's is that good. That's what concerns me is that he's not back from his injury fully and that's why he's missing kicks. Also with our roster filled with an excessive amount of WRs and TEs keeping two kickers is a costly.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
          Peterman Sucks!
          • Mar 2006

He looked terrible in preseason and the fact he can't kick off apparently is a detriment to the roster needing to keep Gay around.

He should have been cut and replaced by someone who can do both.

Matt Prater was money for the Broncos, he got sent away. Adam Vinatieri won a Superbowl and was money for the Pats, he got sent away. Both of those teams found replacements.

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
            • Jan 2003

This crap that he can't do kickoffs is just BS. Maybe he can't get touchbacks as consistently as this Gay guy, err... Jordan Gay, but it doesn't mean he can't do kickoffs. They CHOOSE for him not to do kickoffs. And finding a guy who can kick field goals consistently AND get mostly touchbacks is very hard to find.

Comment

• YardRat
              Well, lookie here...
              • Dec 2004

I'm certainly not in the 'cut the Carp' camp, but the head coach isn't helping anybody feeding the fire. Rex should STFU and stick the media-motivated 'We need a god-damn fg kicker' up his ass. Support the guy publicly, and deal with the reasons/ramifications when/if the decision needs to be made. At least try to have a little class.
              YardRat Wall of Fame
              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                • Jan 2003

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                I'm certainly not in the 'cut the Carp' camp, but the head coach isn't helping anybody feeding the fire. Rex should STFU and stick the media-motivated 'We need a god-damn fg kicker' up his ass. Support the guy publicly, and deal with the reasons/ramifications when/if the decision needs to be made. At least try to have a little class.
                You can't have it both ways with Rex. So, I just have to deal with it. Plus, he is a football guy and football guys aren't big fans of kickers who hold the game sometimes in their hands.

Comment

• Swiper
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Sep 2010

He was activated from the injured list on August 16th. Two weeks is not enough time to be up to full speed. Give him a couple of more weeks please.

Comment

• Jimkelly12203
                    • Jun 2015

Love Carpenter. He was super solid for us last year. Totally deserves the new deal he got.

The concern is what the hell do we do if he's not fully recovered and we need to hit a field goal in the regular season?

It's not that the guy isn't good, even great. It's that the season is upon us and it's not exactly a position where you want to carry more than one kicker. Oh wait... Whaley does carry more than one kicker (which is dumb) and the second guy can't hit field goals either.
                    All Hail Josh Allen! Savior of the Buffalo Bills!

Freedom for the Ukraine. Down with Putin and every traitor in this country that supports him.

Comment

• Albany,n.y.
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
                      He was activated from the injured list on August 16th. Two weeks is not enough time to be up to full speed. Give him a couple of more weeks please.
                      If that's the case then they should cut Gay & bring in Hopkins & let him do both jobs with Carpenter inactive the 1st 2 weeks. Then if Carpenter is healthy, either keep Hopkins for kickoffs & insurance or cut Hopkins & bring back Gay when Carpenter is 100%. Nobody is going to pick up Gay, so they have the option of bringing him back any time they want.

Comment

• Swiper
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Albany,n.y. View Post
                        If that's the case then they should cut Gay & bring in Hopkins & let him do both jobs with Carpenter inactive the 1st 2 weeks. Then if Carpenter is healthy, either keep Hopkins for kickoffs & insurance or cut Hopkins & bring back Gay when Carpenter is 100%. Nobody is going to pick up Gay, so they have the option of bringing him back any time they want.
                        You've gotta think that the prevailing sentiment at OBD is that he is getting close to where he was otherwise they would make some kind of a move. I think Ryan was just blowing off steam when he criticized the kicking game. You've gotta think it drives them all crazy to have to keep a guy just for kick-offs. If Carpenter is what he had been, then you can justify it. If he's off, then not.

Comment

• X-Era
                          What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by chernobylwraiths View Post

He's a kicker coming back from a hamstring.

No need to give up on him.

Comment

• Typ0
                            honey pie
                            • Jul 2002

He's still on the team because he has worked here....any other scenario and he's cut. This whole extra kicker crap has to end too because the gay guy can't kickoff that well that he demands a roster spot.

Comment

• Night Train
                              Retired - On Several Levels
                              • Jul 2005

He should be in the jacuzzi every day. He's our best option.

I don't mind Gay being our last player on the active roster. His kickoffs are darn good, compared to most. Gives our excellent D a good setup.
                              Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

Working...
                              X