PDA

View Full Version : Week one of CFB QB watch

X-Era
09-06-2015, 01:41 PM
Sorry but no one impressed me much.

Connor Cook threw for under 50% compl but did post 2 TD's:

<tbody style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; background: transparent;">
DATE
OPP
RESULT
CMP
ATT
YDS
CMP%
LNG
TD
INT
RAT
RAW QBR
ADJ QBR

9/4
@Western Michigan (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/2711/western-michigan-broncos)
W 37-24 (http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=400763470)

</tbody>

Christian Hackenberg looked real shaky with some really questionable footwork at times:

<tbody style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; background: transparent;">
SPLITS
CMP
ATT
YDS
CMP%
YPA
LNG
TD
INT
SACK
RAT

This Game

</tbody>
Jared Goff did well but it was against Grambling State. I haven't watched the game yet:

SPLITS
CMP
ATT
YDS
CMP%
YPA
LNG
TD
INT
SACK
RAT

This Game

</tbody>

Kevin Hogan continues to drop in my mind witha really bad showing against Northwestern. The stats don't tell the story but he was off all day:

SPLITS
CMP
ATT
YDS
CMP%
YPA
LNG
TD
INT
SACK
RAT

This Game

</tbody>

Dak Prescott might have had the best day but he has question marks in my mind in his decision making and pocket presence:
SPLITS
CMP
ATT
YDS
CMP%
YPA
LNG
TD
INT
SACK
RAT

This Game

</tbody>

Not looking like a great year to be looking for a QB but it's early still. The good news is that we won't likely be picking in the top 10 anyways so we may get one of the best of this bunch later.

swiper
09-06-2015, 02:12 PM
Isn't week #1?

Mad Max
09-06-2015, 04:23 PM
I hope TT Is our guy and we won't have to worry about QB anymore. If not I'd be looking at Vernon Adams or Cody Kessler in 2nd or 3rd round next year.

Both smaller but highly productive guys that I feel if given the opportunity will have success in the NFL.

YardRat
09-06-2015, 05:30 PM
<tbody>

Joel Stave (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/514230/joel-stave), QB
WIS

</tbody>

<tbody>

Jake Coker (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/514124/jake-coker), QB
ALA

</tbody>

Not flashy stats, but both guys looked decent. Coker short-armed a couple of long balls that could have been TD's, and Stave looked shaky a few times but he was under immense pressure all night.

I think these guys are worth watching and will climb the boards as the season progresses.

DesertFox24
09-06-2015, 05:49 PM
Stats only tell half the story. I am more concerned with ball placement pro throws and throwing guys open. Also a guy may be playing with bad receivers.

Also with Tyrod starting I have a feeling qb will not be drafted in round 1 or 2 anymore

Jry44
09-06-2015, 07:44 PM
There is absolutely no qb talent out there anymore. I think it's because all of these high school and college teams are running the spread and read option, and therefore are not developing the skills for QB's that NFL teams covet. Luck and Russel Wilson might be the last of a dieing breed for a while...

ICRockets
09-06-2015, 10:20 PM
It's fine, we'll get Chad Kelly in a few years. Life is cyclical.

YardRat
09-07-2015, 07:29 AM
Luck and Wilson aren't the same breed, IMO.

Jry44
09-07-2015, 07:44 AM
Luck and Wilson aren't the same breed, IMO.

Never said they were, though I can see where you could make that assumption. They are the last of the breed of young quarterbacks that can come right into the league with the skillset to be successful right away. The read option has taken the passing skills right out of the college game.

The media likes to point out that the league has transitioned over to a pass happy league, where the "running game has become devalued ", but how long can this possibly be the case without any quality prospects that can pull the trigger for a passing offense? What does this mean for the road that the league is headed down?

notacon
09-07-2015, 07:54 AM
How about the Bills wait until after the season starts and see if Cassel would come back with a greatly reduced salary, with no guarantees for the season.

He may suck, and be the king of checkdown heaven, but, if Tyrod and EJ either stink up the place or get hurt, Cassel would be a good alternative to salvage the season...especially if the other two get hurt for just a few games.

The Bills ARE developing two young QB's....they don't need another on the squad. What they need is an insurance policy. A cheaper one.

YardRat
09-07-2015, 08:04 AM
There is absolutely no qb talent out there anymore. I think it's because all of these high school and college teams are running the spread and read option, and therefore are not developing the skills for QB's that NFL teams covet. Luck and Russel Wilson might be the last of a dieing breed for a while...

Never said they were, though I can see where you could make that assumption. They are the last of the breed of young quarterbacks that can come right into the league with the skillset to be successful right away. The read option has taken the passing skills right out of the college game.

The media likes to point out that the league has transitioned over to a pass happy league, where the "running game has become devalued ", but how long can this possibly be the case without any quality prospects that can pull the trigger for a passing offense? What does this mean for the road that the league is headed down?

My bad, I interpreted the bolded as lumping them together.

I agree with the other points. that's why I'm keeping an eye on guys like Stave and Coker.

YardRat
09-07-2015, 08:05 AM
How about the Bills wait until after the season starts and see if Cassel would come back with a greatly reduced salary, with no guarantees for the season.

He may suck, and be the king of checkdown heaven, but, if Tyrod and EJ either stink up the place or get hurt, Cassel would be a good alternative to salvage the season...especially if the other two get hurt for just a few games.

The Bills ARE developing two young QB's....they don't need another on the squad. What they need is an insurance policy. A cheaper one.

I've enrolled in the 'jimmifli School for Drafting a QB every year, even if you have one'.

notacon
09-07-2015, 08:14 AM
I've enrolled in the 'jimmifli School for Drafting a QB every year, even if you have one'.

That may be a viable plan...but, that ship has sailed for 2015. What about the reality of the situation we're in now?

YardRat
09-07-2015, 08:19 AM
That may be a viable plan...but, that ship has sailed for 2015. What about the reality of the situation we're in now?

That's a different subject than this particular thread.

DraftBoy
09-07-2015, 09:56 AM
I completed stats for all the FBS QB's on my 2016 watch list.

Brissett had a great Week 1.

21 of 23 (91.3%), 196 yards, 2 TD's.

The Jokeman
09-07-2015, 05:24 PM
Sorry but no one impressed me much.

Not looking like a great year to be looking for a QB but it's early still. The good news is that we won't likely be picking in the top 10 anyways so we may get one of the best of this bunch later. I think he's too short too play but USC's QB stats were pretty good.

The Jokeman
09-07-2015, 05:29 PM
It's fine, we'll get Chad Kelly in a few years. Life is cyclical.

So we're going to draft a QB in the 1st Round and he won't play for us for 2 seasons, then we'll draft a HOF DE with the 1st overall pick and find another HOF WR in the 4th Round and a HOF RB in the second round a few years later? Very improbable I see. Also it was kind of sad that Chad only completed 60% of 15 passes to a small school like Tennessee Martin this weekend. As things stand now think Chad at best a 5h Rounder flier but doubt he amounts to anything in the NFL.

scartown
09-07-2015, 05:35 PM
Gunner Kiel will be another QB to watch this season. He has a chance to rise up in the draft.